[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: European Green Crab.jpg (446 KB, 2500x1254)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
Why does this little crab cause so much destruction in the coasts of America, SA, and Australia? The native crabs are way bigger, they should be able to just eat it.
>>
>>4777026
Tell me what it is and maybe I can give an answer
>>
>>4777204
never mind saw the file name I have no clue
>>
They are colonizers because they are european. Everything from europe is bigoted. Even the crabs
>>
>>4777206
>daring euro animals conquering the rest of the natural world like their human counterparts did
pottery
>>
>>4777297
European animals are generally speaking not that invasive
>>
>>4777026
the problem is they eat smaller things
also another problem is their habit, one of the problem is theyre burrowers and digging into estuaries destorys a lot of the grasses which creates problems, is the same problem with american signal crayfish in europe, which is a problem there because europe is urbanite shithole so theyre used to degrading riverbanks
>>
>>4777533
European Green Crabs also have a surprisingly high tolerance to salinity and temperature (they range from Morocco to Iceland and Scandinavia), which means theyre far more adaptable than many native american species.
And despite their size they can actually bully other crabs into submission
>>
>>4777539
>hardiest animals that can adapt outcompete the rest
just the way the cookie crumbles I guess
>>
File: 1694025184566.jpg (218 KB, 1030x800)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
i hope they take over the world
>>
I have one that hitchiked into my saltwater tank as a baby. He tries to eat my fingers whenever I go within his reach.
>>
>>4777747
You in the US or Europe? If youre in the US you should release it in the wild, for shits and giggles.
>>
>>4777757
US east coast. They are like earthworms here. There is not a coast in my state that does not have them, and they are the most common thing you find tidepooling.
I probably will have to end up releasing him to be with his brothers if he grows up and culturally enriches any of my fish
>>
>>4777791
>I probably will have to end up releasing him to be with his brothers if he grows up and culturally enriches any of my fish
jej
>>
File: 1618508447153.jpg (58 KB, 976x850)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Don't all crabs spawn a fuckload of young? How come European crabs take over so quickly then?
>>
>>4777444
"Generally speaking" makes no sense in this context
>>
>>4778082
Animals outside of their natural habitat lack the checks and counters that keep them from increasing their numbers out of proportion.
European crabs are extremely invasive in NA and Australia, but the Atlantic blue crab is extremely invasive in parts of Europe and causing massive ecological and economic damage.
>>
>>4778097
why not?
>>
>>4777791
what is so bad about that?
>>
How do they taste steamed with Old Bay?
captcha: ggga
>>
>>4781027
they don't get big enough for people to try and eat them. The biggest they get are fist sized and their claws are not satisfactory in size.
Of course they are more than edible, its just that westerners have this concept of fish or aquatic creatures being "trash" if they are not the largest, easiest to eat, easiest to prepare animal you can catch.
Also amerimutts are scared of eating stuff from the water because they are told that they are poisoning themselves with muh mercury and carcinogens
>>
File: green crab tongue my anus.jpg (334 KB, 1211x1097)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
Pussy ass bitches
>>
File: blue chad.png (1013 KB, 1190x1220)
1013 KB
1013 KB PNG
>>4781053
The blue crab is taking the fight to the enemy's homeland and is invasive in the Mediterranean I believe.
>>
>>4781036
shellfish isnt eaten because of the jews
and crawdads are a big deal in the south, its only really urbanites that afraid of water creatures, though i dont blame them because their water is shit and you dont really want to be eating things from shit water
>>
>>4781036
>its just that westerners have this concept of fish or aquatic creatures being "trash" if they are not the largest, easiest to eat, easiest to prepare animal you can catch.
>Also amerimutts are scared of eating stuff from the water because they are told that they are poisoning themselves with muh mercury and carcinogens
I’ve never heard of either of those fears/ideas. Everyone will eat a crab or lobster or whatever if they get the chance and they know it’s edible I’d think
>>
>>4781093
If I stole his crab would he starve?
>>
>>4781093
>the weak should fear the claw
>>
>>4781278
There's a massive difference between being willing to eat something and being willing to buy and prepare something.
>>
File: yummy crabs.jpg (1.25 MB, 1836x2448)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
I read somewhere that blue crabs are moving farther north into colder waters because there's so many green crabs to eat.
>>
>>4781510
they dont buy that stuff because its expensive, seafood is generally expensive for anything that isnt a shrimp, because most people dont live near a coast and theres a lot imports, lobster is about $30/lb, you can more beef for that kind of money
>>
>>4782272
Shrimps are very tasty though and easy to prepare
>>
>>4783181
okay, nothing i said was contrary to that
>>
>>4781536
>6 dollars discount when buying twelve of these fuckers
wow what a deal
>>
>>4783373
And that picture is probably close to ten years old.
>>
>>4781408
He would be extremely hungry
>>
>>4782272
>seafood is generally expensive for anything that isnt a shrimp raised in Indian or Chinese petrochem sludge
ftfy
>>
>>4781036
Did you just try to "muh" away bioaccumulation of mercury?
>>
>>4784655
Next you’ll try try to say you don’t enjoy sweetening your wine with a bit of lead

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.