[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Centipede-Animals-Spiri.jpg (129 KB, 1280x1024)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
If these things are so harmless, lucky , and good for your home etc. why are humans so afraid of them?

Centipedes even in the wild aren't really all that great , they barely kill anything that isnt another bug. They aren't lethal like snakes, they don't spread diseases like other vermin, they're pretty easy to kill. Yet look at it...
>>
File: pretty.jpg (1.49 MB, 2560x1440)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>4777116
Because most humans are emotional overreacting retards. Whenever I meet someone that's genuinely afraid of bugs or spiders I assume their mental processes aren't any more advanced than our default monkey mode.
>>
>>4777116
>Centipedes even in the wild aren't really all that great , they barely kill anything that isnt another bug.
If you’re talking about House Centipedes in particular then sure, they’re pretty much pussies who, while fast, can’t do much, but other centipedes in general are still capable of delivering painful bites and are notoriously aggressive
>>
File: qbuno810yu561.jpg (87 KB, 1078x1068)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>4777136
Those aren't as fast and humans don't often share the same spaces with them. They also don't resemble like the ones that scare people.
>>
>>4777116
They are harmless in the sense that you don't mind if one might bite you and give you an annoying rash for the day.
>>
because they move really fast
>>
Lots of legs turns on tropical monkey scared of venomous critters brain
>>
>>4777219
Now thats a good question , are monkeys scared of centipedes? Mind you Ive seen them eat millipedes. Then again milipedes aren't scary.
>>
>>4777135
>Because most humans are emotional overreacting retards.
way to miss OPs point retard
>>4777116
this looks like a spider/venomous insect. plus its not a very known insect- combination of those two will give an average person a fearful reaction
>>
>>4777152
but they do scare people
>>
File: 3b54.png (187 KB, 1260x720)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>4777116
>>
>>4777264
kek
>>
>>4777152
is this real
>>
>>4777116

I'm not afraid of them. Sometimes when i see one i like to poke it with my finger just to spook em. I go 'eek' over some spiders though. I guess it's programmed into the brain somehow, the way chimps freak out over anything that vaguely resembles a snake
>>
>>4777232

Millipedes aren't scary because even though they have way more legs, they're all short and look like hair. The legs need to be long and gangly in order to trigger the instinctual response
>>
>>4777135
Humans will always be animals, no matter how much tech we have.
>>
File: gpr5dz8x3le71.png (219 KB, 640x480)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>4777315
scolopendra gigantea (and forced perspective) perhaps
>>
>>4777264
waste of talent
>>
>>4777135
>I assume their mental processes aren't any more advanced than our default monkey mode.
Neither is yours in many scenarios
>>
there was a centipede living in my basement I named centipeter. I was willing to leave him alone as long as he respected my personal space but he kept hiding under my weights and would jumpscare me so he had to go
>>
>>4777116
Things become scarier the more pairs of legs they have after 4. I don't make the rules.
>>
>>4777232
That‘s not a capuchin monkey, it‘s a long-tailed macaque.

t. pityfag
>>
>>4777491
>>4777860
If that’s you and I who are educated enough to break out from this, give examples on this,
>>
>>4777985
Understandable
>>4778004
Very true
>>
>>4777116
They are disgusting vermin and your natural instinct of revulsion is correct. Leftish types want to rationalize away your natural disgust so thay you'll accept all sorts of degeneracy, so they appeal to Le Science and Le Experts. Trust your instincts. This insect is foul and should be destroyed immediately on sight.
>>
>>4778231
>>4778004
Your hypothesis doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Few people are afraid of millipedes.
>>
>>4778314
Good point too. That probably has to do with the fact that they’re round and slow, thus nonthreatening, while centipedes are literally spiky and sharp everywhere on their bodies and also bite
>>
>>4778271
It's not an insect, cretin.
>>
>>4777116
The shape disgusts me deeply, it's not teir fault I know it but that's just how it is. I have bad memories about them.
>>
>>4777232
Milipedes have toothbrush bristle legs that are usually covered by their armor. Milipedes are also extremely slow and do not have fuck you hypodermic pinchers/fangs.
Remember that the fear comes from venomous stinging and biting arthropods. Milipedes are none of these and even if they are poisonous people and animals actually use their poison to aid in their survival.
>>
>>4778271
Its the natural instinct version of a kneejerk blanket ban. Animals in the wild are most successful when they blacklist all creepy crawlies as a threat to their life. Humans are a civilized species that brought something new to the table, recording knowledge. If you can record knowledge, you no longer need you or one of your fellows to be bitten to find out if an animal can kill you or not. You can now read or be told by someone else who read that the animal is either dangerous or harmless.
This really reduces the need for general fear of creepy crawlies, especially in temprate areas where nothing is significantly venomous. Obviously the fear of a new creepy crawly you do not know about is a good fear to have, but if you are still afraid of it after learning it is a harmless one that fear is no longer merited.
>>
>>4778492
The long arching legs evoke the image of a spider and a centipede at the same time. Probably why they are scarier than normal centipedes. Also extremely fast which is scary.
>>
>>4778536
Yeah, exactly. Normal centipedes, scolopendra, aren't as disturbing as scutigera to me.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.