[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I would give another chance to the classic non-avian theropods. So, my choice includes two big guys:
>Utahraptor
>Imperobator
two medium-sized predators:
>Deinonychus
>Dromaeosaur
and a small, clever rascal:
>Troodon
Yes, they are a few tens of millions of years too late and are unlikely to catch up with mammals in intelligence. But do they really need to?

*Yes, I learned about Imperobator from that really questionably-scientific show made by a slopmaker from Disney. Don’t judge me, I'm not a professional paleontologist.
>>
File: Garganornis.png (254 KB, 521x810)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>4778086
The 4 biggest terror birds and garganornis. Just because I want to see what people who complain about aggressive geese would have to say now.
>>
Otodus megalodon
Mosasaurus hoffmannii
Helicoprion bessonovi
Barinasuchus arveloi
Inostrancevia alexandri
>>
>>4778086
Thylacine
Great auk
Dodo
Steller's sea cow
Moa
All animals we lost because they were overhunted before laws could protect them
>>
Dickinsonia costata
Spriggina floundersi
Auroralumina attenboroughii
Kimberella quadrata
Haootia quadriformis
>>
>>4778086
Troodon never existed.
>>
>>4778099
This
>>
>>4778086
Ivory billed woodpecker
Passenger pigeon
Carolina parakeet
American mastodon
Dire wolf
>>
>>4778086
I wonder if the average person could even name 5 extinct species
>>
>>4778086
neanderthals and mammoths and have them fight to the death in an arena for my amusement
>>
>>4778086
All the past 5 Homos.
>>
>>4778138
Literally this. Your gay birds are cool and all, but nothing would compare to having some real homos back.
>>
>>4778099
Yup, hard agree here. Except replacing dodo with rodrigues solitaire.
>>
>>4778141
I had assumed you were still here anon.
>>
>>4778141
Why? We'd just genocide/breed them out again.
>>
>>4778099
Damn nigga you had 4/5 of my picks
Only difference is I might swap the moas out for either the Elephant Bird or archeoindris, because it’d be cool to have a gorilla-sized lemur hanging around.
>>
>>4778086
I want the largest primate ever back, whateve fitnwas. Imagine getting it to do all your manual labor for you
>>
>>4778299
Yeah and then when it doesn't want to do labor anymore, it'll rip you in half and go off to do it's own thing. Or it'll unionionize. Not sure which is worse.
>>
>>4778086
Why exclusively Maniraptorans? I'd like to bring back Allosauroids from different clades. Allosaurus, Sinraptor, Carcharodontosaurus, Neovenator and Megaraptor (just to see whether it belongs to Carnosaurs or Coerlurosaurs).
>>
Homo neanderthalis, floresiensis, longi, and that unknown hominid from whom west africans inherited 20% of their genes.

And since I have an unused spot, the aurochs.
>>
>>4778393
They represent the pinnacle of non-avian theropod evolution. All those big and scary Ceratosaurs, Abelisaurs, Carnosaurs, and Tyrannosaurids are already expended branches, forever stuck in the niche dead-end of large predators. While raptor-like theropods still have evolutionary potential (both for new giant predators and for brand new clades). Plus, brain size.
>>
>>4778099
This, it wouldn't rock the ecological boat too much considering how recently they went extinct.
>>
>>4778086
Alamosaurus sanjuanensis
Tyrannosaurus (ojo alamo formation locality)
Glyptodontopelta mimus
Dineobellator notohesperus
Ojoceratops fowleri
>>
>>4778086
Carnotaurus in north america. Finally a predator that can catch up to those pesky pronghorn.
Paraceratherium, elephants have had it good for too long
Atopodentatus, as i think it would fit well in modern beach ecosystems
And finally, the dodo and the stellar's sea cow, back where they belong (i would also bring back the thylacine, but OP said only 5)
>>
File: Anomalocaris_ecological.png (1.6 MB, 1920x1075)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
It has to be my nigga and friends
>>
>>4778392
Almost choked on my food reading this
>>
>>4778099
>>4778123
Recency bias wouldn't you want crazy wierd extinct clades instead of just stuff we have already but bigger or a different color?
>>4778086
Terror birds becase people who hype out about a territorial fruit forager cassoary (so scary!!!!) like it some kind of monster need a real avian monster to hype up. Also giant predator ostritches are subversive and my handlers say subversion is good.
Velociraptor because they are small and could probably become domesticated like a mix between a bird and a dog.
Lystrosaurus out of respect
A giant temnospondle amphibian like koolosuchus to strike the fear of aquatic maneaters into temprate people.
A ceritopsid we could domesticate

I would pick a marine reptile but I feel like dolphins would get jealous and rape most of them to death while the orcas would beach ball the rest to death
>>
>>4778517
I don't like to think of evolution as being a constant linear improvement, but these guys were around before jawed fish. Fish would just tear them apart now.
Trilobites are better suited
>>
>>4778557
Seeing extremely ancient species would be interesting, but those animals are basically from a different world and no longer have a place in modern ecosystems, they could only exist as a curiosity. Recently extinct animals could be reintroduced in their habitats and restore the ecology.
>>
>>4778570
I think the critters I picked would fit in fine
>>
>>4778557
>Lystrosaurus
Toadline breeders are already in on it.
>>
File: Cryodrakon.jpg (80 KB, 1280x872)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>4778086
Stegosaurus - common dinosaur herbivore
Brachiosaurus - one of the largest land animals ever
Allosaurus - classic big land predator
Spinosaurus - big amphibious predator
Hatzegopteryx - big flying dinosaur
bonus
one of the massive scary marine dinosaurs. sharks and orca whales need some competition
>>
>>4778574
It's interesting to think about unfilled niches. Freshwater temnospondyl ambush predators for the swamps too cold for crocodylians, etc. And certainly there are mesozoic and cenozoic animals that are extinct due to the vagarities of disaster and chance, but a lot of the animals from deep time are functionally less refined than what has come since and would have a hard time finding a niche in the face of competition from modern forms.

Maybe I'm wrong about Lystrosaurus. But I think that it would have a hard time competing with mammals.
>>
>>4778591
how long until they make the muzzle into a beak?
>>
>>4778099
all boring
also the dodo deserved its fate.
>>
>>4778618
>be dodo
>largest land predator on little island for 20 something million years
>crushing beak and sturdy body means absolute top of the food chain
>only competition is other dodos and seabirds
>suddenly cats, dogs, rats, pigs and humans
>royal flush of mammal Harlem Globetrotter all stars curbstomp your entire island at the same time
>”tHe DoDo DeSeRvEd ItS fAtE.”
Set a dozen polar bears loose in Antarctica and tell me the penguins deserved their fate.
>>
>bring back prehistoric animal
>it auto-dies from lack of oxygen and freezing temperature
>>
>>4778086
Homo naledi comes to mind
>>4778402
Yes, at least one of the homos. I don’t know much about them to pick a favorite.
>>
File: IMG_6074.jpg (1.44 MB, 1197x2073)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
Bringing back the T. Rex to get answers, and also bringing back the Parasaurolophus and Spinosaurus for the same purpose.
>>
>>4778138
>>4778127
>>4778402
>>4778863
>He wants abos but even dumber to come back
Brainlet retard. They'd be humans in the eyes of the law and they'd be the diversity hires at your work while forming some retarded nigger culture. On tv there'd be species mixing ads instead of race mixing ones.
>>
>>4779094
No not to live among us lol
>>
1. Megatherium
2. Doedicurus
3. Columbian Mammoth
4. American Lion
5. Titanis

The New World deserves to have some of its cool megafauna back. Especially with Xenarthra.
>>
>>4778086
T-Rex

Don't care about the rest
>>
>>4779094
>>4779097
Why would this be so bad you fucking weirdos lol. I want a neanderthal wife.
>>
>>4778557
>wouldn't you want crazy wierd extinct clades instead of just stuff we have already but bigger or a different color?
No because I don't want to cause extinction events out of novelty
>>
>>4779130
>you fucking weirdos
>I want a neanderthal wife.
self awareness = 0
>>
>>4779094
Neanderthals and denisovians are smarter than below average populations of Homo sapiens. Well, maybe Denisovians, but Neanderthals are with good certainty. Homo sapiens outcompeted the Neanderthals by needing fewer calories and being able to live in more populous bands, which lead to the Neanderthals having a smaller influence on the genetics of the blended species population that resulted in all modern humans who aren’t sub Saharan Africans.
>>
>>4779124
T-Rex would have feathers and a dad bod and also be gay according to experts.
>>
>>4778561
Not really. They're basically predatory shrimp. Not the apex predators they used to be, but they'd do fine against crabs and such.
>>
File: 1693078936120.jpg (48 KB, 716x711)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>4778086
a couple extinct human species, maybe the pigmy ones for potential shortstacks
>>
>>4778864
Sorry, they'd all die due to earth's greater gravity and lower O2 content.
>>
>>4779340
Also because T-Rex were homosexual according to science so they wouldn't be able to reproduce.
>>
>>4779281
>>4779341
Well if the science says so!
>>
>>4779094
If it works as you said, the world is doomed anyway because of regular niggers who will be like half of humanity by the end of this century.

But I think the existence of people that are already classified as different species will force people to reinstate segregation, and to realize that niggers are a different subspecies at least and should be segregated too.
>>
I’ll bring back all those cryptids they think are still around, just to troll humanity by making the kooks right.
>>
>>4779794
based
>>
>>4778086
>Icthyosaur
>Megalodon
>Anomalocaris
>the giant dugong thing
>Spinosaurus
>>
>>4778086
I would bring back 4 feathered theropods and T. rex, but genetically engineered to have feathers, then kill them all off again, erase all notes for the process and burn down the facility for maximum seethe.
>>
>>4778099
Dodos were apparently delicious. I say bring them back, domesticate them, and then have them as poultry.
>>
>>4781257
>Some early travellers found dodo meat unsavoury, and preferred to eat parrots and pigeons; others described it as tough, but good.
>Some hunted dodos only for their gizzards, as this was considered the most delicious part of the bird.
>>
File: file.png (647 KB, 743x594)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>4778086
Hyracotherium to fix some mistakes, giant armadillo for cheap housing, giant sloth, unicorn because the world is lost since they died out and pic related because how terrible would it be to be sitting in a chair and it sneaks up and puts it's horrible lips over your entire torso?
>>
>>4781257
Every primary account says they tasted like dogshit. The green fat of a tortoise made them sort of palatable.
>>
>>4781257
Like others said pretty sure it was the opposite, I imagine they would taste like pigeon or something
>>
>>4781438
Pigeon is good though, it's why people introduced it all over the world in the first place. The only reason why it's no longer commonly eaten is that it's smaller and requires more space than chicken.
>>
>>4781443
>it's why people introduced it all over the world in the first place
I thought that was because they were effective messengers. I’ve never tried it though so idk
>>
>>4781453
They're one-way messagers. You'd need a battery of pigeons from multiple locations then send some of yours to various places by wagon or whatever and hope it gets there. It was logistics mess in the best of times.
>>
File: Platybelodon.jpg (129 KB, 328x434)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>4781392
>umm akshually, i'm not an elephant
>>
>>4779094
Neanderthals were more empathetic and just as smart as homo sapiens. The opposite of niggers.
We'd be dramatically better off if a couple billion modern humans got replaced by Neanderthals. The last several thousand years of us has been slowly ratcheting towards being narcissistic faggots.
>>
>>4781667
Neanderthals lived in smaller groups and did not have art until they borrowed it from sapiens. They definitely weren’t more empathetic.

Their “larger brain” had a smaller frontal lobe and enlarged areas for vision and motor control. They were primitive small family group hunters somewhat like a basic ass dog.
>>
>>4778086
tasmanian tiger
dodo
ophthalmosaurus
allosaurus
giant ass penguin
>>
>>4781677
>Neanderthals lived in smaller groups
Yes, as a consequence of the reduced carrying capacity compared to Homo sapiens in a given environment
>did not have art until they borrowed it from sapiens.
Wrong
>Their “larger brain” had a smaller frontal lobe and enlarged areas for vision and motor control.
Their brains are only larger than the human average, there's no feature of their brain which is outside the range of non-pathological homo sapiens brains.
His claim about empathy is unprovable, but the idea that they are more like a dog or an ape than a man is retarded in the extreme.
>>
all of the giant crocodiles
>>
Dilophosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Allosaurus, Albertosaurus, Imperobator
>>
>>4782081
Extremely based.
>>
File: IMG_4919.jpg (69 KB, 732x1024)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
1: a species of crustacean eating mosasaurid, currently there are no large crustacean eaters that weren’t fish

2: Passenger pigeons: hate starlings, simple as

3:leviathan whale: ocean is in need of a whale predator, but I don’t want to prove the stupid megladon people right.

4: xyphactinus: hate dolphins, and I think these are the only predator that has the chance to outcompete and eat them. Also would make sport fishing interesting again lol

5: koolasuchus
>>
>>4782515
>hate dolphins
Love u
>>
File: IMG_5129.jpg (189 KB, 750x923)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>4782520
All dolphins deserve extinction, I would trade in all 5 picks to eliminate all dolphins from evolutionary or current existence. Whales I can tolerate. But I have a feeling they would eventually become dolphins so they have to go too. Basically just undo this whole thing
>>
>>4778086
>unlikely to catch up with mammals in intelligence
pic looks like he heard you
>>
>>4783019
jej pic
orcas can stay though
>>
>>4782515
Lol at the random girl
>>
Semi-realistic (i.e., animals probably could survive on modern-day earth without choking to death due to different oxygen levels or something)

1. Paranthropus boisei
2. Homotherium latidens
3. Megaloceros giganteus
4. Mammuthus primigenius
5. Pinguinus impennis
>>
>>4779333
Why do you imagine they would be any less ugly than modern pygmies?
>>
File: Sauropod-scale.png (262 KB, 3060x647)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
These absolute units.
>>
>>4778086
>woolly mammoth
>Steller's sea cow
>Haast's eagle
>Moa (let's pretend this is one species)
>Dromaeosaurus
I'd mainly restore recently extinct species but also an actual dinosaur because it would be cool as fuck.
>>
Spinosaurus so that people can stop bitching about how it looked.
>>
1. Thylacine
2. Kauaʻi ʻōʻō
3. Steller's sea cow
4. Passenger pigeon
5. Irish elk
>>
>>4778618
why? for being fat and useless?
what's that say about you, then?
>>
>>4778086
>vendia
>yorgia
>dickinsonia
>ovatoscutum
>spriggina
Proarticulata will rise again.
>>
Lepidodendron
> the classic prehistoric plant

Thylacine
> first mammal I'd resurrect

Trilobites
>

Dodo
> obligatory, almost like tame pygmy terror birds

Cothurnocystis
> most alien as fuck asymmetrical animal
>>
>>4785711
>Cothurnocystis
im convinced it didn't actually look like that and every single fossil is grossly deformed
>>
>>4778086
Jaekelopterus rhenaniae
Gorgonops
Quetzalcoatlus
Sigillaria
Homo sapiens neanderthalensis
>>
>>4778124
well most people could throw out dodo, t. rex, mammoth, sabre-toothed tiger, and velociraptor, surely?
>>
Europasaurus - a sauropod only roughly 20 foot long, and roughly 1,800 pounds - perfect for a farm animal

Woolly Mammoth - A traditional food source for humans

Dodo - supposedly very tasty

One of the many dwarf elephants not sure which one - would be very fun and based

Mekosuchus - a small tree-dwelling crocodilian would be extremely based as a pet
>>
>>4782515
Based aside from the passenger pigeon meme. But do you really think that xyphactinus would outcompte killer whales? These are the real stinkers among dolphins, i really hate that they are the apex ocean predator, Livyatan and the others physeteroids are the only animals that can outcompete orcas.
>>
>>4785740
Why do dipshits assume that dodos were tasty? Practically all primary accounts say they tasted like shit. How did it get flipped for so many people? Did some cartoon say they tasted nice so that's why they're all dead now?
>>
>>4786420
Can you post the primary accounts? I genuinely thought the primary accounts claimed they tasted good.
>>
>>4778138
Your last five fuck buddies are extinct?
>>
File: 1684867773456.jpg (36 KB, 798x644)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>4779131
Is this retard really eco virtue signaling in a thread about bringing back dinosaurs?
>>
File: GMl4iWoWoAEhxxt.jpg (281 KB, 1800x1310)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>4778086
I'd go with
>Acrocanthosaurus
Need a giant theropod and I've loved Carcharodontosaurids since I was a kid
>Columbian Mammoth
Seeing those giant bones at La Brea makes me wish that they were back. I bet we'd just call them American Elephants
>Utahraptor
Grizzley Hawks hunting Bison would be a sight to behold
>Pacific Mastodon
Yeah, they are pretty similar in look to Mammoths, but I'd love to have a large browser in the forests of Northern California, Oregon, and Washington.
>Moropus
It's a damn shame there are no Clawed "horses" left.
>>
>Titanoboa
>Tyrannosaurus Rex
>Wooly Mammoth
>Irish Elk
>Argentavis Magnificens
>>
>>4787806
Why megaloceros? We already have a great idea of what it looked like and how it behaved. Why not something more exotic?
>>
>>4787806
can’t tell if this is AI
>>
>>4788019
It is AI and probably made by using Bing; you can tell from the airplane's fucked-up wings, the filename, and the image size.
>>
These 2 are cool
>>Deinonychus
>>Utahraptor

I would add Megatheridae (ground sloth)

Pachycephalosaurus wyomingnesis too

And for the last one some pterosaur. Not necessarily one of the big ones though
Possibly one of the teethed bunch. Definitely not memecoatlus
>>
>>4788061
You don't even have to look very close
>>
>>4788061
hmmm I suspected as much
>>
>>4778138
You have them twerking down in atlanta
>>
>Megalodon
To help the orcas reclaim the oceans
>Utah Raptor
Would release them by the tens of thousands in Central America, Africa and India
>Gigantopithecus
Let’s settle this bigfeet shit once and for all
>Titanoboa
No plan for this. It’s just for the kek
>Gorgonopsid
Cool as fuck apex predator that single handedly ruled the world for millions of years

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.