[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1439.jpg (1.47 MB, 1242x1617)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
For the past week my cat has been losing her shit occasionally banging on glass at random periods throughout the day. I finally figured out why and there’s this other cat that’s been talking with her. I don’t see a collar on it or a tag. I’m worried because I live next to bobcat and coyote infested woods. I don’t want to feed it partially for that reason, it would suck for it to get snatched by something. I do like the socialization my cat gets with another cat she’s been raised inside her whole life.

What do I do? Do I talk to my neighbors and see if they have an outdoor cat? Do I warn them if it is their cat? I previously lost 2 previous pets by letting them roam outside. It’s a really pretty cat…
>>
File: IMG_1437.jpg (1.17 MB, 4032x3024)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
Can an anon identify the breed? Is it a tabby?
>>
>>4780337
It's probably someone's outdoor cat. Go ahead and put food out for it, that's not going to change its chances of getting snatched. Then try to coax it inside. Then, you have a new cat. That's how cat ownership works.
>>
>>4780343
I checked my city’s lost animal database and there’s no missing tabby cats going all the way back to 2023, I’ll ask my neighbor and see. I wouldn’t want to take it inside if it knows where to go but it did seem really curious to get inside my home and explore.
>>
File: IMG_1442.jpg (2.91 MB, 4032x3024)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
I set out some food, I’m going to sit in the dark with a beer and stalk it with my cat.
>>
File: IMG_1446.jpg (1.95 MB, 4032x3024)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
She’s pissed I set food out for the other cat.
>>
>>4780357
Are you really going to let your unspoiled princess associate with common road trash?
>>
>>4780361
It could be a lady and the tramp situation. There’s a fairly large homeless camp a few miles into the woods under a bridge. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been the ones feeding it. They keep pets back there that roam around.
>>
>>4780341
Unless proven otherwise, cats have no breed. Cat breeds aren’t like dog breeds where they are historically stabilished things. They are the result of someone taking random cats off the street and breeding them over the last 200 years save for a couple exceptions.
Tabby, on the other hand, is a color pattern (there are some cat breeds that have it, even)and it does seem like it’s one.
>>
File: IMG_1441.jpg (358 KB, 1242x995)
358 KB
358 KB JPG
>>4780366
Is it this pattern? It looks like it would’ve been from a breeder. Apparently this type lives in forests and can be a completely wild cat. The one irl has a strange pattern mutation near its top ribs.
>>
It’s a cute fella I’m going to try and pet it next time I see it. I thinks it’s a marbled tabby actually.
>>
>>4780372
Cat people make up all kinds of crazy shit. It's a tabby. It has some nice markings, but it's a tabby.
>>
>>4780357
awww she’s cute :3
>>
>>4780343
>Then, you have a new cat. That's how cat ownership works.
This is how I got my second cat too. Although she just started hanging around us on her own.
>>
>>4780341
>Is it a tabby?
Yes, that is a classic American tabby pattern. as per >>4780366. And, it's a really gorgeous pattern, exactly the sort that professional breeders look for.

Don't overthink it beyond that.

>>4780379
Sit nearby the food, a good ten or more feet away. Let him approach you. Talk calmly and normally to him. If he's feeling comfortable & curious, he will come to you. If he does, hold your hand where he can take a good sniff before you try to reach for him. Might have to do this a few times over several nights, see how it goes.

If you have a spot where your girl can watch through a screen door so she can smell and hear, that may help her calm down a bit. Females tend to be extremely territorial, so watch out for her to try & attack. But, if she gets used to him being around she may adjust, especially if you can pet him, let her smell wherever he touches you so she gets used to his scent on you, mixed with your scent.

She may not adjust. I had an old girl in my house and a feral showed up. She flew into an insane rage whenever that cat came by, would attack the window to try & get at her, even escaped out of the house to attack, got her but whupped hard, then did it again a few days later. She's passed now, but the feral still comes around, but she's too feral to adopt.

Oh, yeah. If your visitor is a female, chances are real long that your girl will not tolerate another female in her house. Not zero, but it would be a lot of extra work and slow adjustment.
>>
>>4780517
I don’t have a screen door how hard is it to add one in? Catsy has been on guard and super territorial patrolling the windows but I genuinely think she has fun. No hissing just howling which is expected, the stranger seems to be used to socialization.
>>
>>4780729
>how hard is it to add one
>>>/diy/catalog

I used to do construction and renovation, it's not "difficult," so much as you do need some basic experience with tools & such. It can be a pain in the ass, depending on the type of door you already have and what you want to add. Without pictures & diagram it will be almost impossible for someone to advise you on this because there are numerous variables that have to be planned around. For another example, the type of existing doorframe you already have will dictate some of your options, you'll want to anchor the hinges into the frame very firmly and precisely so it doesn't come loose, look like shit, and fall off next year. You may need to use a wood chisel to cut out a place for the hinges to attach (and paint the new, bare wood before installing the hinges), so you'd want to know how to use a wood chisel pretty precisely if that is necessary.

If you want it done right, it's a meticulous process with precise measurements and quality hardware so that the new door fits & opens/closes properly without interfering with using the doorway. It's a high traffic stress point in the house, so half-assing it with poor hardware is a recipe for it to wear out fast while being a pain to get in and out of. So, not difficult so much as you'll want to plan it out carefully. Can be done in a couple hours or half a day with a solid plan. Very old carpenter's rule: measure twice, cut once. Doorways are somewhat specialized carpentry projects, so measure three times before committing to anything.
>>
File: IMG_1483.jpg (3.75 MB, 4032x3024)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
Something came by. Not sure if it’s the cat though
>>
>catfags enabling pests
nothing new
outdoor cats need to be detained not fed, theres too many of them
>>
OP this is wonderful news, your beautiful intelligent kitty has picked out her own room mate. Cats are social and there needs to be at least 2 per household.
>>
File: IMG_1504.jpg (633 KB, 1596x2071)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
It continues coming during the night which makes me think it’s a stray, I don’t know who would let their pet stay out at night. I managed to let it sniff me, I scratched its back and then scratched its back hip. When I scratched the back hip it swiped and hissed at me but thankfully I was able to step back and dodge while taking a pic. It seems pretty friendly overall. Really dirty fur.
>>
File: IMG_1505.jpg (1.97 MB, 3024x3756)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
Attack mode
>>
File: IMG_1506.jpg (1.19 MB, 3024x3835)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
I think it’s a girl I’m not sure, it showed me its butthole but I didn’t want to take a pic and look closer. I will next time we meet.
>>
>>4782114
>>4782117
>>4782118
Nice reactions. Keep us posted. Seems like she’s already getting to trust you if it’s just lounging around like that
>>
>>4782114
Ive read somewhere that really dirty fur implies stray rather than feral, because ferals take better care of themselves outside, but I have seen some filthy-ass ferals in my day.
if you're going to keep it, make sure you have a quarantine area in your house to keep it while you get it checked by a vet. outside cats can and do carry communicable diseases that can fuck your existing cat right up, from a permanent recurring herpes infection in their eyes to literal, actual cat AIDS.
>>
>>4782173
>literal, actual cat AIDS.
Isn’t FIV way less lethal than human AIDS though? Still not ideal obviously but not as bad as it would be in our case
>>
File: 1680659621820153.jpg (302 KB, 1125x1125)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
>>4781884
No one asked, faggot
>>
>>4782187
>Isn’t FIV way less lethal than human AIDS though?
Yes, but you still don't want to infect your other kitty. Long term treatment does require extra vet care and usually drugs. On the other hand, FIV isn't quite as easy to pass along as urban legend has it. Still a risk, but can be treated and most cats will live most of their lives as if they didn't have it, albeit with slightly to somewhat compromised immune systems that can make them vulnerable to other disease & infection.

There's also other diseases, FIV is just sort of short-hand for "ferals may be sick with something that can infect other cats." Not necessarily always FIV. There are also parasite issues, internal through diet and of course external like fleas & mites & such.

Of note, scratching a cat at the base of their tail is pretty intimate. I'd usually start off with a couple light pats to test the waters and slowly get a feel for how an individual reacts to it. Strays/barn cats aren't always socialized to "go there" immediately and should be approached slowly & gently. It's a big leap of trust. Thus the attack mode. But she seems like she chilled out quickly, so it's a good start. You might consider trying to initiate play, such as simple string or something else that's interactive to hep initiate bonding & trust (beyond food & friendship scritches).

Good luck anon, to all of you. Hopefully this will turn out so everyone has a happy home together.
>>
>>4782269
> Still a risk, but can be treated and most cats will live most of their lives as if they didn't have it
Yeah, my cat was diagnosed with it but he’s more or less as healthy as can be otherwise, I guess it would be especially noticeable in ferals that are always getting into fights and stuff with a lot of cuts/scratches.
>>
I’m kinda worried I haven’t seen her tonight. I put out a fresh bowl of food and some water. There’s supposed to be tornados tomorrow so I pray she’s safe. I let my neighborhood know to see if anyone is missing a cat but so far the consensus has been she was probably dumped here. I’m going to buy a trap this weekend and call the vet to see if they can check for a chip and get a routine checkup. Looking back at
>>4782118 if she is a female she looks like she’s either old and has a tummy pouch, has been recently pregnant, or is pregnant. Or she’s just a bit fat.
>>
File: IMG_1534.jpg (792 KB, 3024x3930)
792 KB
792 KB JPG
I think the cat is sick it’s looking kinda different
>>
>>4783329
That's a dog
>>
>>4783333
Checked
>>
>>4783302
Lol judging by her legs she seems kinda fat. She’s getting enough food. The best thing you could do is trap and fix her, if it is a she
>>
Tornados are coming through I hope the cat is okay
>>
>>4783329
are you capable of taking one picture that isn't a blurry fucking mess?
>>
>>4783816
I saw your post in the other board. I guess the cat is dead now kek.
>>
>>4784082
Explain?
>>
>>4780337
OP, this is kind of a strange question but please answer honestly. If your cat were to suddenly transform into a magical cat girl in heat, would you fuck her? Please respond soon.
>>
OP she's obviously begging to be inside, be a man and pick her up and take her in
>>
>>4784522
Naders innawoods.
>>4784537
She’s a tsundere but no she’s fat and old.
>>4784539
I set out more food I’ll go buy a trap tonight. I don’t know how my cat will react so im cautious, I don’t want it spreading anything through biting/scratching.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.