[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Between their wild caught sales and this shit, I'm getting sick and tired of these fucked up Floridians.

https://undergroundreptiles.com/product/funky-frogs/
>>
>>4789275
>nooo you cant interbreed endangered species
Why? It's a captive population on another continent.
>>
The whole concept of herpetology pisses me off. Amphibians are not any more closely related to reptiles than mammals are. Not to mention that an entire group of reptiles gets excluded from herpetology and they go in their own bin called ornithology. And we're supposed to just keep this shitty system? Because that's how it's always been and it'd be too hard to change? Fuck outta here already.
>>
>>4789278
same thing happened to the new world dog breeds.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2018-07-05-ancient-american-dogs-almost-wiped-out-european-breeds

do we really want this to happen to our little slimeboys?
>>
>>4789278
Because that means they're worthless for future rehabilitation into the wild. One only needs to look at the absolute fucking disaster that is Chinese giant salamander "conservation" to see why interbreeding these endangered amphibians or reptiles is a terrible idea for down the road.
Of course, I guess that hardly matters as much for private collections, but it can also have consequences there - because sometimes, sellers don't inform you if an animal is a mixed specimen. That could potentially affect their care requirements.
>>
>>4789275
None of those are hybrids, the ones pictured are different species with naturally occuring morphs.
>>
>wild caught sales
God forbid.
>>
>>4789389
This, and I can pretty much guarantee if you put any of those darts back in the Amazon, they'd do just fine.
Eternal reminder that we have not domesticated a single herp, none of them (barring some inbred morphs of various species) would have any problem if they were sent out into the wild for rehabilitation.
>>
>>4789275
Forget wild caught reptiles, they sell shit like wild caught sloths. That alone should tell you about how much they care about ethics
>>
>>4789293
Because the care requirements of reptiles and amphibians is comparable. The care requirements of birds is not.
>>
>>4789275
Someone explain why this is bad? I don’t know
>>
>>4789301
>Because that means they're worthless for future rehabilitation into the wild
No captive dart frogs have ever been used for this purpose except for the ones bred in facilities in their country of origin.
This hate against hybrids is just the same puritan mindset that gave us inbred golden retrivers with fucked up hips and other shit like that. I mean I don't want some mutt frog either, but eventually the captive genepool will get smaller without any new blood from the wild. Just look at what's happening to bearded dragons right now.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.