[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it true that lobsters used to get to like 6 feet long or more? I've heard it my whole life with the explanation for them no longer getting that big being overfishing. Can someone corroborate or explain? I heard of it with regards to maine if I recall but I'm not sure obviously.
>
also sorry that I didn't have a lobster picture, away from my pc.
>>
>>4790641
Probably not. Or maybe so. I don’t know.
>>
i believe so yes. perhaps not six foot, but i think they're generally representative of the now unthinkable abundance of creatures that used to inhabit this planet before the industrial onslaught.
>>
Yeah. And they also were fully amphibious and used to throw strong jets of water to catch their prey.
>>
>>4790641
No, primary problem is the exoskeleton because they have to molt every year anfld molting I'd very stressful for them and leaves them vulnerable, the biggest they'll get is like a claw about the size of your face at about 100 years old
>>
>>4790641
When I was a kid I saw a lerbster in a grocery store tank that was almost 3 feet long. He wasn't for sale, it was there as a curiosity.
>>
just to be clear, whenever someone WELL ACKSHUALLYs you to remind you that lobsters used to be given to prisoners
those lobsters were in fact the giant ones and they did not taste good. We figured out somewhere along the line small lobsters are tasty and really large ones are bitter and disgusting. so they were a trash food, and stopped being a trash food once people figured out small ones taste good
>>
>>4790893
No, it's because they were British, who boiled those lobsters into oblivion
>>
>>4790846
That doesn’t sound true
>>
>>4790901
All crustaceans molt at least once a year, younger one do it several times because it's their growth period, but a bad molt will just kill them regardless, otherwise they're functionally immortal or at least on par will tortoises
>>
>>4790641
I saw a huge lobster at the aquarium near San Diego. Like coconut crabs, they're limited by their environment. One in a ten gallon tank will never grow to six feet. The huge lobster I saw was in a tank the size of an apattment living room.
>>
>>4790905
Woah. Didn’t know that. Shame we don’t have more century old ones around
>>
>>4790979
theyre more common than you think, because theyre the 20lb lobsters, which is the upper limits where theyre going to go, anything bigger and the biomechanics of an exoskeleton are going to catch up to them and this is the part where theyre almost incapable of molting because of how heavy everything is
>>
Largest 'bster ever recorded by "science" was like 3 and a half foot long. We don't make 'bster traps bigger than 3 or 4 feet. Sampling bias?
>>
>>4790641
>overfishing
A meme. 90% of lobsters that enter traps exit those same traps.
>le prison food
Back when it was easier to catch lobsters than raise cows. Now we raise and butcher about 100 billion chickens a year via mass production.
>>
>>4790979
They're functionally immortal, but realistically, they'll only live to about 40, because eventually the molting process will be too taxing for them and kill them
>>
>>4791170
>'bster
bona fide cu/ck/
>>
>>4791036
>because of how heavy everything is
how much do they weigh when they're floating in the water, retardo?
>>
>>4791393
based retard
>>
>>4791580
for real though
I want to know why anon thinks weight limits size in an environment where buoyancy negates gravity

be like saying they're too heavy in outer space. What kind of retards post here?
>>
we all should start a online religion based on a lobster God, we will call it Lobsteranism. also we should start a go found me to buy a giant salt water tank to keep our lobster God and help it to molt and grow forever,
>>
>>4791721
wasn't that a reddit thing like a decade ago
>>
>>4790641
Legend has it there used to be a restaurant called Red Lobster
>>
>>4791698
retard alert
bouncy doesnt "negate" gravity, water despite being a fluid, its is an object that holding you up, thats what pressure is and this only applies to air bags, like whales, but lobsters are not buoyant, theyre the exact opposite of buoyant, they sink because theyre literally bottom feeders
exoskeletons do not scale well because of how muscles work, theyre anchored to hard surfaces, more anchor points means stronger muscles, which is great when youre small, because you can get a lot of power out of a small volume because the surface area is greater on the internal surface of the exoskeleton, but as you get bigger, you need more muscles because you have to move more exoskeleton, which results in you need exoskeleton to move exoskeleton
now lobsters maintain a specific thickness to their shells, which means each time it gets bigger it get exponentially heavier relative to its volume compared to the old molt, they dont stop growing ever, now remember they have an exoskeleton. at a certain point the muscles they have cannot move the exoskeleton anymore during the molt, because their muscles literally deattach from the exoskeleton, so theyre not generating any leverage from the exoskeleton and are entirely relying on whatever leverage they can get from their soft bodies alone, which isnt enough when they get to the 20lb+ range, because about half of its body weight is exoskeleton compared to humans ~15% of weight is skeleton
>>4791721
the problem with trying to help it molt will just stress the animal out and cause it die, because they have no awareness of your intention, youre just some big creature molesting it during the most vulnerable and stressful time in its life
>>
>>4791763
>bouncy doesnt "negate" gravity,
it literally does, you fucking dumbass

a 20lb lobster weighs less than a pound underwater.
>>
>>4791738
you’re thinking of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
>>
>>4791772
based retard
>>
>>4791821
you are indeed.

and you still haven't explained how weight limits an animal's size in an environment of zero gravity.
>>
>>4791828
>underwater
>zero g
top lel
>>
>>4791829
based retard
>>
>>4791283
>the problem with trying to help it molt will just stress the animal out and cause it die
well humans have sorted this out centuries ago, it's called anasthesia. It's weird no university has tried assisted molting before. they are burning public funds like there's no tomorrow, they could at least use it for some cool PR stunt. Can't think of a better ad for a marine biology institute than a truck-size lobster in a lab
>>
>>4791885
except you have to submerge it a solution, and then you have to clear out the anesthesia which is a little harder when its breathing from gills, and how are you suppose to monitor it, so thats a lot of technology that you have develop and you have to remember this is going to get decades to bare fruit which is not something theyre going to consider, people want results now and not 40 years later
>>
>>4791763
Very cool post, thank you anon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.