[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240506_205702_556.jpg (91 KB, 1170x1168)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Why are plants like this?
>>
>>4791061
Because this is gay.
>>
>>4791061
Unfiltered sunlight
>>
Im a know nothing and i have so much sucess with indoor plants i purposely seek out ones that are difficult to.grow
>>
>>4791061
Plants outside have access to full spectrum sunlight and are grounded to the earth, both of which improve their resilience.
>>
>>4791148
i picked up a pathetic, squashed looking cacti from a garden centre out of sheer pity and she's going strong now, feelsgoodman
>>
>>4791061
One is primarily bred to look pretty. The other is under natural selection 24/7.
>>
>>4791166
I love that of you bro, nursing the sick little girlie back to health is just awesome.
>>
>>4791061
Depending on where you live, your tap water can have very high mineral content which over time accumulates in the pot and fucks with the soil.
>>
>>4791197
Tap water is often very high in chlorine substances, too, which is why fish die if you put them in tap water without filtering it or letting it stand long enough for the chlorine to evaporate out. Always filter tap water, friends.
>>
>>4791061
>have golden pothos
>keep it in my living room, water it with water from my fish tanks post-water change, plenty of natural light
>it was dying
>move it to the bathroom
>no natural light, windowless bathroom
>water it with tap water
>it's thriving
what.
>>
Soil is a complex ecosystem that's difficult to adequately reproduce. Potting a plant with no knowledge of how to actually take care of it would be as if you cut off a chunk of someone's scalp and asked why their hair stopped growing.
>>
>>4791163
If this were the case why do greenhouses work perfectly fine? Or commercial growlights? Light is frequently a problem but it's often because it's too intense (a south facing windowsill for a tropical rainforest plant) or so low the dim glow of a computer monitor is the only thing sustaining the thing.

>>4791224
Again, most commercial nurseries water with whatever comes out the pipes. Chlorine isn't even a consideration to most growers.

>>4791246
Getting closer, but still, not having the perfect rhizosphere isn't a big deal most plants. A bigger problem is that people simply don't know that potting composts need to be renewed every 6 to 12 months and many potting mixes that plants are sold in are virtually nutrient free, unless they've got some osmocote mixed in.

In 99% of cases, it's a combination these factors, of bright direct sunlight, radically low light, tropical plants being kept too cold in low humidity, poor soil quality or poor fertilisation regimen, and perhaps the biggest cause of indoor plant death: owners overwatering, leading to root or basal rot.

The fact is that houses are just artificial caves, and caves aren't very good habitats for plants. If you want better success growing plants indoors, it's best to set up a dedicated grow cabinet, or even an entire room where you can maintain light, humidity and temperatures that suit the plants, rather than the humans.
>>
>tfw can't keep alive a plant that you water once per month
>>
>>4791265
>If this were the case why do greenhouses work perfectly fine? Or commercial growlights?
What part of "improve their resilience" implies that it's impossible to raise plants in indoor environments? The opposite of "improved" is not "nonexistent." Eating a healthy diet will improve your resilience as a human, does that mean eating an unhealthy diet will make you keel over dead? No, what actually happens is that you just stunt your potential and end up with minor chronic issues that build up over your lifetime, all to varying degrees depending on specific circumstances.
>>
>>4791166
>>4791176
How do you know it’s a woman
>>
>>4791061
why is this meme so stylized is this ai
>>
>>4791291
All plants are female because I want to fuck them.
>>
>>4791289
Cope, your answer was shit, hang your head in shame and then throw your worthless body into the composter. Neither full spectrum sunlight nor being planted in the earth is of any consequence to the question.
>>
>>4791301
>it's possible to raise reasonably healthy plants indoors without full spectrum sunlight or grounding
>therefore, full spectrum sunlight and grounding are of NO CONSEQUENCE
That's a foolishly extreme conclusion. Do you also think that a good diet and exercise are of no consequence to human development just because people can live happy lives on bad diets while remaining sedentary?
>>
Concrete paving warms the soil, keeps it moist, and funnels water to the plant. Builders sand underneath it is also drains well. Pretty good place for a seed to sprout.
>>
>>4791317
It's essentially an appeal to nature fallacy and survivorship bias. Millions of plants get full sunlight and root in earth and die despite this, but you don't notice them, because they're dead. And contrary to your assertion, we've actually gotten quite good at tailoring growing media to maximise growth. There's nothing magical about outside. Bad husbandry is ultimately just bad husbandry.
>>
The ones you see outside are the survivors that landed in perfect conditions.

Their brethren already died.
>>
>>4791293
Nah, took it from a try hard artist on insta/threads.
>>
>>4791148
Try to grow a pineapple from seed. That's a challenge.
>>
>>4791227
Another name for pothos is the devil's ivy, because it can grow in dark conditions. It's an understory jungle plant so it evolved to thrive without much light.
>>
>>4791061
because the people caring for them are retarded and put them in conditions they wouldn't be in outside.
>>
>>4791291
I dunno. I just like calling things she sometimes. It's like calling a plant he, who gives a shit.
>>
>>4791148
Amazing how it works isn't it. Now if only dorks out here stop carrying for useless shit to substitute their personalities there literally be no wars anymore.
>>
>>4791061
fun fact: plants do get lonely when confined to a pot alone
>>
>>4791265
Tropical plants do well indoors because they are used to the low-light conditions under the rainforest canopy, and are provided the temperatures they require
>>
>>4791291
all things are women, chuddie
>>
>>4791621
as in, they masturbate?
>>
>>4791554
>there's nothing magical about outside
fuck you and your numbers

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.