[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

FAQ (last updated: May 19th, 2023): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-URQl5wxxBzP4-VWfMKfLG8ZqOkGt9Yoyo6Qbm333vs/edit?usp=sharing
Cosplay recommendations thread: none atm
Crossplay/crossdressing thread: >>10887436
LARP thread: >>10873579
Sewing general: >>10865253
Makeup, hair, skincare general: none atm

Taobao thread: >>10849072
Stupid j-fashion questions thread:>>10890549
>>
File: file.jpg (3.5 MB, 4032x2268)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
I'm making Ran's tails. This is our current solution but it's a huge pain to assemble/disassemble.

The inside of the base of the tails has velcro which attaches to the velcro on the base of the pipe here. We then have to screw in each tail. Is there an easier way to go about this? I was thinking magnets to hold the tails in place instead, but am worried they won't be strong enough.
>>
How big of a deal is it for every little detail to be accurate to the original costume? I'm preparing my first costume and the shirt has a zipper that doesn't look great irl imo. I've found shirts that are almost exactly the same, except with buttons instead of that zipper. I can't decide if I should go with the more accurate shirt, or with the one that looks better. I'm not sure if anyone other than me will even notice the difference.
>>
Any recs for a wig maker I could commission? Preferably from Europe
>>
>>10891143
>How big of a deal is it for every little detail to be accurate to the original costume?
Very little. A number of people show up with just a vague reference to canon costumes and are still acknowledged by other con goers. Now I don't recommend going that route, but just to give you a picture of the level of acceptance. There's also just logistical changes that everyone recognizes are necessary / don't even notice have been changed (ie. shoe choice, fabric choice, attachments that aren't in the original source material but literally wouldn't be possible to wear without).

>>10891171
No one in specific is every recommended here. You'll have to look through facebook groups and social media tags. Pay attention to each makers' specialties, quality, and price levels then make a decision for yourself.
>>
>>10891124
pic of what this is for? why do you need to do all that. seems complicated.
>>
Any tips for keeping a wig's braids neat? The last time I wore it, every little snag would yank hairs loose. I've seen vids where people wrap the braid with netting, but then it looks like you're wearing a hairnet on your braids.
>>
>>10891143

It's your choice. Unless it's a competition, nobody is going to call you out. But you can always attach a fake, better looking zipper if you want accuracy.
>>
do you have to act/ say lines of the character your cosplaying as? I've never done it before but the thought of having people wanting me to say lines is anxiety inducing
>>
>>10891344
i will for fun sometimes to my frens but ive never been asked too
>>
>>10891344
the only thing i've encountered related to that are spergs addressing you as the character expecting replies in character. even then it's been in the form of questions you can answer.
>>
>>10891344

If your character has a well known catchphrase or bit, people tend to say it TO you, like Hi Barbie. Only the super autists will expect you to say stuff in character
>>
Do you have any recommendations on where to buy quality EVA foam with medium-high density? I've always bought from TNT for almost a decade but they're closed and now I don't know where to go.
>>
>>10891344
I'd say it's more important to have a pose in mind for if/when people ask for your photo. Being able to quote a line (or do the character's voice) is a bonus but not expected as much.
>>
Are people okay when a cosplay is changed a bit to suit needs? There's a cosplay my friend likes but she doesn't want to reveal cleavage. The character is still recognizable when the part is covered up though
>>
File: IMG_2615.jpg (48 KB, 466x681)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Novice doing a dumb Booster cosplay

How should I go about making the top
>>
>>10892994
of course
>>
File: 1673593626292553.png (487 KB, 1152x648)
487 KB
487 KB PNG
I want gloves that look similar to 9S's, but I can't find any - all of the leather gauntlets on ebay/amazon look way too bulky. Also I don't know a thing about sewing.
>>
>>10893180
Commission someone to make them or look at a cosplay website.
>>
>>10893016
You couldn't have chosen a worse angle for a reference image. It looks like a normal red tanktop from this angle desu. In the future, ask a more specific question.
>>
>>10893251
I don't have that much time lmao
>>
Where can I find socks like this? They're like socks and legwarmers all in one.
>>
>>10892179
Damn I hadn’t heard they were closing permanently. I checked their fb page and they recommended The Cospaly Pros. Apparently they use the same manufacturer and sell the same density foams
>>
>>10893269
Ntayrt but you need to get some common sense lol. You don’t have the skills to make something yourself, you don’t seem to want to learn, you expect this very specific item to already exist, and you’re doing this all at the last minute so you can’t commission someone? Just accept that your cosplay isn’t going to be complete in time for whatever con you’re going to. Then go commission someone so you have it in time for the next con
>>
>>10893291
No I'm wondering if it's something I could reasonably try my hand at, and if there's anything out there that could act as a decent starting point.
>>
Im making a Casey Jones mask out of HDPE. Are there any tips or suggestions about how to best form the inside for my face?

Should I paper mache cast my face to use as a starting inside form that I can carve adjust with a hoof knife after its finished? Is hdpe a stupid idea?
>>
>>10891006
Is it frowned upon to dye and style my hair instead of getting a wig?
>>
File: Light_Yagami.jpg (17 KB, 300x304)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>10893888
That really depends on the cosplay
If it's something that works with real hair like pic rel, real hair looks better
But usually even a cheap shitt wig will look better than real hair for most characters
>>
File: file.jpg (84 KB, 400x500)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>10893892
It's him, Okabe Rintarou. I'm blond naturally, but I think I can kinda pull it off if I dye, comb and use some lac. The wig I order is late, it's either that or I dress normally and go better prepared at the next con.
>>
>>10893895
Imo slicked back hair always looks bad with a wig so I would try and go with hair
But it's hard to style hair like that if you aren't a hairdresser
>>
>>10893895
I would just order a lace front wig in black. Epiccosplay has one called Keto that looks pretty similar to his hair. It's $50ish with free shipping (their shipping is pretty fast if you're in the US).

The problem with dyeing your hair is that going from blonde to black is more complicated than you think (since you're going from light to very dark), and it might end up being more expensive than anticipated. There is a high possibility it will look like shit. Also, styling your own hair to look like an anime character is going to be way harder to do on your real hair, and will likely fall apart throughout the con. I would just take the L and get your stuff way in advance next time.
>>
File: nose comapre.png (244 KB, 696x586)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>>10891006
I'm planning to do an anime cosplay for an upcoming con, and I'm trying to get as close to the actual character as possible. I'm even buying fabric that is similar to what she wears as possible. I'm running into a problem with makeup. Obviously, you can't have an "anime face" irl, but I want to at least get something close. Is there anything you can do about your nose shape? Mine isn't egregious or anything, but it's certainly not anime. I attached a pic for reference (with eyes censored).

What should I do about makeup/contouring? Just contour so that it looks thinner from the front? Or does it not even matter?
Are there any pics/videos of people using latex/spirit gum/whatever to SUBTLY change their nose shape to look more anime? Or even guides on this? I've seen additive nose work using latex, but that was to achieve much bigger noses. I'm not trying to change the size but rather the shape of my nose. Even a subtle addition would be helpful.
If anyone knows about this stuff, I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>10893983
you're going to look retarded, don't do whatever you're trying to do. accept your face as it is and use makeup to enhance yourself, not literally turn yourself into a tiny nosed giga-chin anime character. Or, just buy/commission a kigurumi mask...
>>
>>10893997
>use makeup to enhance yourself
I wasn't trying for any drastic change lol, just asking for subtle tips. I likely wouldn't use any physical additive work with latex, but I was interested in if anyone did so. Do you have any guides/videos on how people have achieved an "anime" inspired look through makeup alone?
I see videos on Sailor Moon or other peppy, brightly colored anime-inspired looks with a lot of bright eyeshadow and effects to make the eyes look larger. But I'm going for something more subtle and in keeping with more "realistic" anime like Perfect Blue and Serial Experiments Lain. Is there like a keyword I could use to specifically narrow down this kind of style?
>>
File: Drawing.jpg (148 KB, 1080x2047)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
I have a very odd body shape that I am embarrassed by; basically I am super skinny except in the area around my buttocks, hips, and fupa. This region of my body is rather bulbous and pronounced on my skinny frame. What's a good character for me to cosplay that will hide this portion of my body? Picrelated is a sketch of my body type. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>10891006
My hot glue is full of bubbles. What causes it and how do I prevent it?

>>10894011
V and J from Murder Drones.
>>
>>10894011

first of all do not be embarrassed by your physical body, it is a temporary garment we wear while we are here. we should love and care for it, as it is a precious gift, but it is not who we are.

secondly, any female (i assume since you said fupa) that wears a billowy dress, there are hundreds of options. they can be a wonderful introduction to sewing and tailoring as well.
>>
>>10894047
I'm a guy actually, I thought fupa meant fat upper pubic area.
>>
File: F9gvOzNbcAAnOcT.jpg (599 KB, 1536x2048)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
I'm looking for that sweater-dress.
Anybody have a clue where I could find it?
>>
>>10894264
I tried but had no luck, it may be some Japanese or Asian brand. Did you reverse image search with Google? It seems to be some Japanese Twitter user. I don't have a Twitter account so I can't view all the features of the post, but if you do then you can look throughout the replies and see if anymore information is mentioned. Good luck.
>>
File: IMG_7364.jpg (101 KB, 827x790)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Alright, after looking for a while. I can't fucking find what this over coat/corset/shirt white be. Is there a style I should be searching? Tried "sleeved corset top" but not getting what I'd like. The undershirt is easy to get, it's the blue one eluding me.
>>
>>10894291
Try something like "long sleeve cropped waist coat" or "cropped blazer" or something similar. I got this when searching for the blazer.
>>
>>10894274
Yeah I did some reverse search as well as looking through the user’s twitter but no luck.
It’s weird, it’s like that piece doesn’t exist at all.
>>
File: IMG_3571.png (1.63 MB, 750x1334)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
I'm a Japanese cosplayer.
I'm thinking of cosplaying Hobie Brown from ATSV.
I want to imitate his features as faithfully as possible, but I don't think I should imitate his skin color.
So here's a question.
He has the characteristic of turning monochrome when he's serious, so I'm thinking of doing a cosplay of Hobie Brown when he's monochrome.
Then, I will have to use gray makeup on the face where the skin is exposed, but is this a problem?
I apologize for asking such an ignorant question, but I would be happy if you could let me know your thoughts.
>>
>>10894324
Just wear the mask, goober
>>
>>10894291
The word your looking for is "Bustier"! Or sometimes you can find it under long sleeved corsets. If you can't find one that opens in the middle I recommend just getting a closed one and adding buttons
>>
>>10894297
>>10894469
Thanks anons! Finding some that could work now.
>>
I wanna make a cosplay insta, i only have an iphone 13. I wanna take good pics but have no idea how i can make a setup in my room or how to photograph myself. Any tips? Limited budget but i can save up.

i dont care much about getting popular, just want an excuse to cosplay besides cons.
>>
I remember how a decade ago, there was a huge trend in low effort cosplays for males where they put on a blanket on their legs and painted carboard on head = voila, I am Pyramid Head, looking for sexy Silent Hill nurse.

Has the trend died down? Will it get a resurgence now with the new Pyramid Head from flavor of the year popular indie horror RPGmaker game? I was expecting to see a lot of them on /cgl/ but to my surprise there's nothing. I guess there is no cheap plastic crow head mask like that one horse plastic mask.
>>
File: 4195u89xXLL._AC_.jpg (26 KB, 462x484)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>10894527
I started doing self-shoots a few years ago, when I realized I had no good pics of most of my cosplays, and basically brute-forced my way into being halfway decent at it. A few things I found really helpful:
>Tripod and remote
Don't just take arm-length selfies. If you can, use the rear camera on your phone instead of the front-facing one as it's higher quality. You can get a tiny handheld shutter remote for dirt cheap, it's very helpful for taking multiple pics in succession without having to walk back to your phone each time. I like to set the shutter timer to 3 secs, just enough time to pocket the remote and get back into pose.
>Volume
Take WAY more photos than you need. Because you don't have a photographer to say things like "your head is cut off" or "tilt your head a little more", a lot of pics won't turn out for reasons you can't help. Typically I take a couple dozen photos per shoot, with several minor variations taken in a row for each pose I try - half get thrown out immediately, and then I can trim it down to the best 3-4 to post.
>Lighting
Ceiling lights aren't great for photos, try to get 2-3 points of light - be it natural light from a window, moving lamp(s) from around the house, camera's flash, etc.
>Backdrops
A neutral background works well, particularly if you're going to try and edit it. Usually I just take off any wall decorations and photograph myself in front of a blank wall. You also can get a cheap pop-up greenscreen, or for a fun background color go to the dollar store and buy a roll of wrapping paper and masking-tape it up to your wall.

A lot of it just comes down to experience: finding your "good angles", poses that show off the costume well, recreating anime expressions or poses, etc.
>>
File: Dead By Daylight.jpg (690 KB, 2000x1270)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
>>10894548
Nowadays most Pyramid Heads I see are buff dudes looking to show off how jacked they are and/or craftsman with a really detailed Head and huge blade.
>>
>>10894561
god i wish that was me on the right
>>
I wanna do a Lucy cosplay but I don't have the chest for it. What can I do to make it look real? I'm barely a b cup
>>
File: cykeudxs5pwttzvxdzdp.png (176 KB, 320x310)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>10894151

my mistake! I have only ever heard it referred to as upper puzzy area.

regardless, you just have big hips. cosplay is about playing to your body type just as much as the costume is. the sky is the limit with your interests and preferences, the challenge of catering to your body will make the cosplay itself much more rewarding.

some people have had to work with a lot less. you are only limited by your imagination and creativity. think of any series or genre you're into and start brainstorming!
>>
>>10893289
Thanks for this. My order from them finally came in and I could immediately tell that it's the same quality as TNT. The only problem was that they shipped the wrong mm but they offered to ship out replacement sheets for free.
>>
File: 61RNGezVyuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (103 KB, 1248x1500)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>10894527

You iphone is more than enough for instagram shots. Light is more important than the camera anyway. The bigger and closer the source of light is the more flattering it will be. Using a window like >>10894559 said is a good idea, and you can make the light even softer by putting white curtains, or a white sheet or plastic over your window. A big ring light is a good beginner way to light yourself but you can use any neutral colored light, and use white cloth, plastic or paper to make it soft.

Selfie stand is worth it, get one that's about your height, but you can put it on boxes or something to make it taller. About $25 on Amazon, and most of them come with a bluetooth trigger for your phone camera.

Experiment with different heights and distances. Your face, body and costume will look different depending on where your camera is, you have to figure out what is the most flattering look.
>>
>>10891006
I ordered contacts from Pinky Paradise early this December for a con. Unfortunately it's been 6 days, and they still haven't been shipped out, and I won't be able to use them for the con I'm going to. Does anyone know where to find good contact lenses that are in/close to North America? I live in the US
>>
>>10895054
moodylenses aren't US based but their shipping is very fast in my experience
>>
File: 630443b.jpg (41 KB, 500x500)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Going to bed soon but Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee) is scheduled to be at Missouri Comic Con in February and I am putting together a Hobbit adventurer cosplay to go see him.

I mainly need tips on putting my backpack together, such as bedroll straps (how to make them/put some on?) and attachment point for a few small pots/pans and a leather wine canteen.

Pic is an example of my pack. I plan on doing the bedroll on the top flap like Samwise's pack and to hide the historically inaccurate plastic name-tag slot.
>>
File: FPI_Illustration.png (1.6 MB, 1000x1486)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
any recommendations on tactical gear? aliexpress seems to have some decent stuff that won't be super heavy for cons and asian/smaller sizing (woman). i'd be making some slight alterations or adding things so definitely as lightweight as possible

never really done a "tactical" cosplay before and would enjoy any input - especially for prop guns/weapons.

pic related
>>
File: DOT_EXE.jpg (165 KB, 759x725)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
What's the best approach for making a mask like this? I was thinking thinking paper mache for the robotic frame and a mesh overlay for the pool ball like you see on patterned sunglasses, but I have no idea where you'd find a round, transparent material for it.
>>
People who compete at conventions, do judges seem to prefer original designs based on characters? Or people who try to replicate the character and the source material as much as possible
>>
>>10895744
It really depends on the judges some will care others don't. I do think overall its better to replicate it based off of some source material from the original or from a different design.
If you just do your own take on it its like was it just because it was easier to make that way vs doing off of a source material.
Also talk and point out why you made any changes or if you had to make changes to get the costume to work in real life.

If your serious about competing look into the judges and pick what con to compete at based on that. Most of the times women are going to judge sewing very highly and the same for foam with anyone calling themselves a foamsmith. Like if you had a armor based costume and out of the 3 judges it was 1 seamstress + another women judge I would pass if you are going for a big award.

Some judges dismiss 3d printing and have no idea how it works. After getting asked tons of questions about the smallest details on my foam armor and if I did all my own patterns.
I got asked if my sword that had a shiny metal finish printed out that smooth. And I was like nope it took a ton of sanding also I designed it in blender myself but they didn't care.

I think the judges are very hit or miss so don't get too discouraged by bad judges.
>>
>>10895757
Thanks for replying anon. I want to do a Princess Peach build but her classic design just doesn’t interest me as much and would prefer to design something myself. Do I need a reference pic still? Sorry for stupid question, have never competed before
>>
>>10895789
Its always good to have a reference pics for the judges so they can compare how well you match up vs your reference.

Also have tons of pictures of the build process possibly in a binder to give to judges with the reference pics.
What I'm talking about is more important for masters and maybe journeyman's category.
You don't need as much for beginners and for a popular character like princess peach a reference might not be 100% required but it will always help.

All this advice is for trying to win, if you just want to get up on stage for fun you don't need to worry about any reference or build pics.
>>
File: greenman.png (14 KB, 250x250)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
Dummy question but can I cosplay a non anime video game character at a anime con (LoL + MGS)
>>
>>10896071
A large anime con in Texas had a Gwen skin with best in show, and also, no one cares what you cosplay as long as you're not deadpool and obnoxious
>>
>>10896071
of course! there’s a lot of overlap with anime and those series specifically so you should be recognized :)
>>
>>10896071
Yeah - Japanese games that aren't "anime" (MGS, Resident Evil, etc) tend to show up quite a bit at anime cons, but even western stuff like Marvel/DC or Disney it's not uncommon to see cosplay or even merch of.
>>
File: 1678410228163767.jpg (428 KB, 1024x1024)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>10865253
is this the thread for fabric questions? can I ask where to get japanese fabrics custom printed? I need a kimono type fabric. the pattern is my own.
>>
What's the chance that this would actually look good if I just bought it (with customization) plus the wig from ezcosplay?
Never done a wig before, and it'd be nice to have something else simple and easy to goof around in versus the stuff I want to make.

As far as body type, I'm tall and thin, but I think I have decent muscle definition
>>
Planning on making digitigrade leg stilts for a project and was wondering about the structure of most designs I've seen. Most incorporate some kind of brace structure along the legs, like in pic rel. For my project, I plan to use a simplified version of this made from wood and hardware store hinges plus a spring and bungie cord combo for the foot, so I can have a more dynamic walk plus have more ground contact.
The issue I'm worried about is if at some point I will need to incorporate these braces. If it's purely for comfort, I should have no issue since I'm pretty used to walking in that position on my toes for extended periods of time. However, if it is critical to mechanism, this is something I should take into account. My theory is that it works as a mounting point for padding out the legs, which I will not be too concerned about as well sense I will be covering most of the legs in a cloak.

>>10891225
Not the anon you're talking to but I can answer without a pic. Think your basic 9-tailed fox lady. I assume it's a mounting point for each tail and the only worry I would have with it would be how much weight is in each tail. It's a pretty simple design, considering what it has to do.

>>10891124
Try drilling holes in an extended port for the tails and use metal/PVC pins with latches that fill the hole. Then you could just remove the latch and remove the tail. If the port is long enough, it should support the weight of the tail's skeleton better and give more room for a pin. Use two pins for each if you find they wobble too much. Take advantage of the fact you are working with tubes, and apply some plumbing tricks.

>>10893180
Find a faux leather glove without the cuff but a long sleeve, and stuff a thick chunk of PVC pipe in to form the cuff, hitting it with a hair dryer or heat gun at low temp to widen it.
>>
>>10893983
Just do everything you humanly can to make the colors either blend or mute. That means hiding the nostrils with contour, hiding any extra flushness on cheeks, the nose, and most importantly brightening areas with shadow. From the side, you will not look perfect, BUT from the front, it will diminish the presence of the nose and the detail of the face. From there, emphasize the eyes to reflect the character using eye liner and make sure the brows look defined. Everything should be in extremes, either present or not present. If it is present, it should not be obvious. Understand that anime faces use a lot of empty space accentuated with specific key details, many of which are subtle but clearly distinct, such as a mouth that is simple, small, but distinct by a unique color.
As for liquid latex, the best advice I can give is to use small layers of tissue paper to build a bridge between the crest of the hump on your nose and tip, with a very small nub extending from the tip. WARNING: be extremely conservative with the application of material, it will not fall off if your nose doesn't move much, but adding material can make it peel more and it would make your nose bigger. Do not apply any on the sides, unless you want to level out an area for the front view to hide the nostrils. More important than anything is removing the lines atop the nostrils as anime face styles only consider the shadow underneath.
>>
>>10895744
Some cons have rules against original designs while others really appreciate them. It all depends like the other anon said
>>
>>10895169
We used to have military larp threads, but unfortunately this board has seen better days. You could try /diy/'s sewing thread (if they currently have one up), but otherwise we'd just be googling "where to buy military tactical gear" for you (which most anons wouldn't do anyway lol)
>>
>>10895535
EVA foam over paper mache most definitely. Paper mache is great in some instances, but you need sturdiness for the helmet and also paper mache can look too messy unless you really really make an effort with it (and at that point its just not worth it imo).

>and a mesh overlay
Yes! There's tons of videos on youtube from our cousins, the furries, who have tons of tutorials on which mesh is best for painting and visibility.

>but I have no idea where you'd find a round, transparent material for it.
Some cosplayers will craft or find a vaccuform system, but desu just try to buy a visor if you can. PunishedProps has a really good tutorial for this kind of helmet -- look at his Mandolorian helmet tutorial. He sells patterns too.
>>
>>10896324
This is exactly how most store-bought cosplayers go a step above the crowd. There is no shame in altering a premade costume unless you're trying to enter a competition with it. These can actually turn out really nice just by tailoring and swapping out the cheap materials. I haven't bought a prestyled wig before, but I have heard that no matter what, you're still going to need to fuss with a wig for a bit after coming out of the bag or else it won't look as good. However, it's the same difference in labor between buying a costume vs. making it. If you can cut out having to make even just the basic garments (or following the metaphor, styling a basic wig), then it can already be a huge time saver.

If you have non-standard proportions (ie you have a hard time fitting into clothing you see on the racks at the store), I'd go for custom measurements even if its a small added cost.
>>
>>10896331
Yeah, when I said 'with customization' I was referring to the custom measurement stuff on the site.
I'm basically a medium in size but an XXL in height
>>
>>10896558
Ahhhh, apologies. I thought you meant like "making it your own". Yes, custom measurements are always going to look better than something off of the rack especially if you're tall.
>>
>>10896111
Spoonflower
>>
>>10896630
wrong, however, i got another better idea in sew
>>
>>10896589
That being said, I am going to focus on learning to sew soon, so between that and printing I'll try to touch up any parts that look especially bad.
I'm already looking at the bracelet things and the hips of the pants
>>
>>10896633
kys autist faggot
>>
>>10896646
no U
>>
File: Ochako Chuckle.png (704 KB, 1334x750)
704 KB
704 KB PNG
>>10896630
Assuming you're not memeing, this same suggestion was made in the /sew/ thread where OP also asked this question and it launched a reply war. And to see it as the first reply here is just making me crack up.
>>
>>10896643
Starting off with small projects like handsewing on new trims is a great way to start the hobby. Good luck! :)
>>
File: ggs_elphelt_petticoat.png (995 KB, 1109x621)
995 KB
995 KB PNG
any recommendations on a kind of petticoat I could use for Elphelt's underskirt? I was thinking of making an a-line petticoat with a longer yoke to have the floof start below the waist line but making petticoats take forever so I'm trying to look into purchasing an alternative
>>
>>10893983
i don't really reccommend this but you could use one of those plastic nose lifters during the con for an upturned look
>>
>>10896111
You're asking for a very specific special thing anon. You're better off asking people who directly do work with the fabrics you want and asking them where to source. The average fabric-printing site is not going to offer special Japanese kimono fabric. The average fabric-printing site in the western world is geared toward the average American. Cost of production/labor in Japan is simply not worth it for a lot of sites to try to source for Japan. (Usually China/Korea/SEA countries are more popular if overseas printing).
>>
>>10897071
>you'd be better off asking kimono makers
tried that on etsy, they all told me "no lol"
>>
File: file.png (1.22 MB, 883x765)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
I have never made anything out of foam before and don't have any tools. How feasible would these be to make for a beginner in a week?
>>
>>10897257
the blade is mostly flat so a very easy shape to make. But if you have no tools and only 1 week get started soon.
The most time consuming part will be waiting for sealer / paint to dry if masking off for multiple colors.
Might also want to put a dowel / rod in the blade so it wont flex to much.
>>
>>10897269
I might just shine it, buying all the mats at once would leave me with little to spend at the con. But good to know if I just have time it's not that complex.
>>
File: 1685725350752.png (1.01 MB, 1306x717)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
drawing
what is this kind of outfit called? you see it sometimes in anime.
high skirt, which makes the booba sort of pop out. kind of resembles suspender-pants but it's a skirt. sometimes suspenders are just attached with small clips like accessoaries
>>
>>10897306
i don't know if there's a word for this particular girls outfit (maybe a cafe uniform?) but it strongly resembles the stereotypical "OL" trope
>>
>>10897306
I don't think the outfit itself has a name because it's used in a variety of contexts, but the skirt and shirt likely do. The shirt worn by the last two girls looks like a short butterfly sleeve button up top with either a standard collar or short ruffle collar.

And the skirt is exactly what you think it is. It's a suspender skirt -- more in a Japanese style than western. The suspenders can be sewn on without hardware or detatched with metal hardware as you pointed out . The first image is an underbust length while the other two are just high waisted (1-2 inches above belly button / usually sits on the natural waist or high hip). Unclear how long the other two are but the left imae is a midi or ankle length skirt with a high slit.
>>
>>10897306
Its a pencil skirt with separate suspenders attached (You can see the metal clasps, so it's not sewn-in as part of a skirt like the first image). The top is just a button-up with pintucks and frilled sleeves. This type of outfit isn't really "anything". It's just generic normie Japanese women clothing.
>>
>>10897320
>>10897371
>>10897385
alright thanks
>>
>>10895269
The vest in your picture is usually called a kevlar vest. You might have to look at/go to local airsoft stores, since they usually have something like that. However, these vests dont have points to attach pouches to.
If you do want pouches (the most modern system being MOLLE), I'd suggest to have a look at airsoft brands. For example, Emerson Gear (aliexpress) does have a lot of replica brand stuff which also looks quite good.
Take a small, light base vest (e.g. a JPC type plate carrier) and add pouches and a fake plate/foam insert on top of that.
For weapons: 3D printed or foam is probably the way to go. Thingiverse has a lot of weapon models you can print yourself, otherwise you might have to find a foam pattern.
I wouldn't recommend a big rifle (AR-15/M4) since they look comically oversized for small people. The real-life FBI is using the Glock 17 which I'd also recommend, since it's just a block and easy to model.
>>
File: tylorcosplay.jpg (419 KB, 1596x1204)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
I fit all of the measurements for this in size small except for waist, mine is 77 cm, the size small is 74 cm. Do I still go for it or should I size up to medium? (no custom measurement option)
>>
File: 1704047942559.jpg (56 KB, 1785x1073)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Hi I want to create something like this for my dollie but I have no experience......
Is 3D printing a valid option, is the model easy enough for me to learn the skill and make one myself or should I pay for a model or whatever......
>>
>>10897578
obviously size up. you need breathing room and that's not enough for you to even close the button.
>>
>>10897578
Definitely size up. Having the waist even slightly off is one of the most annoying things at con and it never looks good. Its better to get it slightly too big and tailor it in then to walk around with ur cosplay waiting for the perfect moment to rip.
>>
>>10897605
I would pay yeah. It's doable if you have the time and the patients but you should mess around with making other 3d things first if you really want it to look right
>>
>>10897605
ill model it for you what size do you want it?
And do you already have a 3d printer?
>>
>>10897664
Uhmm I don't really have a printer yet but my engineer friend has one in his university which I might be able to "borrow"......
Size should just be kinda small, like say from fingertip to wrist kinda? Like a regular scissor kinda??
>>
havent been to a con since the obama years so I dunno how sensitive people are nowadays. what are the odds i get kicked out or harrassed for dressing as picrel? are "edgy" cosplays still a thing?
>>
>>10897785
>10897785
I see one at south florida cons
>>
I'm mixed, but lighter skinned and was wondering if it was going to be looked down on if I cosplayed as Blackbeard from One Piece. I've already started the costume and it sorta dawned on me I should ask around first.
>>
>>10897575
thank you so much anon! didn't think i'd actually get an answer at this point, this was a lot of super helpful info!

especially on the props - regardless of guns, i've never actually had a prop/weapon at a con before from previous cosplays and knowing weapons check i want it to look as real as possible but still obviously fake, if that makes sense. none of that bright orange tip bullshit, but i know some cons it depends.

thanks again!
>>
>>10897661
>>10897637
Thanks. Haven't tried ordering online or sizing anything through cm measurements until now, will def size up
>>
>>10897785
Chris-chan cosplayers are still around. No one gives a fuck.
>>
>>10897817
Nope. People of all colors cosplay characters of all colors. Anyone who'd give you flack is someone who would do that to you in plain clothes. Nothing to worry about, go have fun
>>
>>10897785
saw one two months ago
>>
>>10897785
I did a Chris Chan cosplay anon
>>
>>10897796
>>10897881
>>10897935
>>10897948
okay thanks anons i shall bear my sonichu medallion with pride
>>
>>10891006
What's the verdict on using eyeglasses instead of contact lenses?

I used to wear circle lenses all the time when cosplaying but I'm seriously fed up with how taxing it is to your eyes.

Especially when you wear it the whole day and you are deciding if you want to remove it at night during the room parties (enjoy having sore eyes in front of everyone) or waiting even longer to remove it and fucking your eyes up even more.

Feels like I'm too old and jaded for this shit and I'm just gonna wear my regular ol eyeglasses now.
>>
File: Dandy shades.jpg (112 KB, 720x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>10898076
As a fellow glasses-wearer, I try to have at least one day of the con where my cosplay includes glasses (I have prescription sunglasses to mix things up) to save my eyes.
That being said, I have a pair of glasses with clear frames that are pretty unobtrusive I'll wear at times. I find it helpful sometimes for holding a wig in place, and once or twice I've even had remarks that the glasses added a "scholarly" or "wise" feeling to an older character.
>>
File: 20240104_202604.jpg (1.97 MB, 4032x2268)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
Hey, /cgl/. /tg/ here, starting up an Imperial Guard cosplay and just got my armour delivered. Would like your help:
>Any advice on gluing ABS Plastic to Nylon webbing?
>What would be a great primer and/or paint brand to spray on this plastic without any possibility of damage to the armour?
>>
File: image2 (1).jpg (855 KB, 2856x2142)
855 KB
855 KB JPG
>>10897605
https://makerworld.com/en/models/123940#profileId-133515
>>
>>10898132
2 part epoxy or superglue should work, skuff the surface first and possibly put layer some nylon or other material going the other way for more support.

For paint it already looks shiny is it vacuumed formed or 3d printed? But I would think any spray paint or airbrush paint would work. Dont worry about damaging the armor the only thing that would go wrong is bad paint adhesion
>>
File: 1685416001186474.jpg (83 KB, 1157x666)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>10898213
>Released 5 hours ago
Oh snip did you actually make this? If so I'm super duper grateful........!!!!
Is there any kind of like material I should make this with, the 3D print place in my city has a variety of different materials and such.......
>>
Is there a guide/doc/resource for wigs?
>>
>>10898235
nononono, pay him
>>
File: dinosaur.gif (21 KB, 451x75)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>10898244
Did you look at the FAQ in the OP?
>>
>>10898235
It was a fun model to practice on. I think it might also make a cool cake topper or drink stir.

Any material should be fine pla is the most basic filament or abs could work.

As long as it doesn't sit in a hot car or get left outside pla is fine but it can warp at high temps on such a thin part.

Just try to get it printed at a lower layer height like .08 if possible. My test print was at .16 and only took 20-30min.
>>
File: unknown.png (1.04 MB, 605x924)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
quick set of questions for anyone who might know the answers to them regarding silicone:

i have a silicone bodysuit top, but its so tight around the elbows apparently that it cuts off circulation. can i hit them with a heat gun to stretch them a little looser? or any other way?

is it possible to adhere decals to silicone rubber by spraying the decal with a clear silicone spray? to be more specific, ive been using a temporary tattoo sheet to adhere tattoos to the silicone chest piece, but they remain tacky and dont adhere and seem to peel off very easily. im wondering if spraying them with a clear silicone spray would keep them on preferably permanently or enough for a con day.
>>
File: 1704730724316.jpg (2.81 MB, 4608x3456)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>10898382
I got it made and it's so cute!!! Thanks a lot....!!!
Now I have to look into colouring it......
Also the 3d printer person commented the patterns and stuff but I didn't know what he was talking about so good job....!
>>
>>10894756
Never used one myself, but there are breast forms you can buy/make! There's a couple tutorials on here if you want to go the DIY route.
https://blog.miccostumes.com/how-to-make-fake-big-boobs-for-cosplay-herere-6-ways/
Premade tends to use silicone, from what I'm Googling up.

If you don't have the money/time and aren't needing the cleavage, there is always the option to stuff a bra with socks or birdseed packs, too.
>>
Anyone here tried using car tint film on Plexiglass? I have both for a TV Head I'm working on, but I've read Plexi can outgas on the wrong materials, which bubbles and otherwise messes up the film (which is the opposite of what I want here.) Don't know if actual glass will be an option either, since this is an EVA foam build.

Thank you in advance.
>>
Is there a real world version of Feitan's jacket I can buy off the rack? Trying to avoid buying a premade cosplay. It looks like a suit jacket/skirt with no buttons or zips. Closest I could google is a long maxi skirt, but the materials of those skirts are usually very lightweight and I want it to look jacket-like.
>>
>>10897257
I have a 3d print for these but that might end up being too expensive. Is there a way I can just print the shape onto a few sheets of paper as a template? How would I even go about that process I am super stupid on trying to figure it out.
>>
>>10894756
friend of mine did Lucy Taurus with about same cup size as you, and she had what is pretty much called chicken cutlets she tucked inside the swimsuit top, as well as additional padding she sewed into the swimsuit top itself. the chicken cutlets were like a double push-up, and then finished off with contouring her chest and boobs/cleavage. (also tying the top really tight)

now they still weren't anywhere near actual size, but it overall looked way better than most Lucy's i see. and also way bigger than her normal size
>>
I have a dumb idea for attending cons as cheap as possible
>go to con, enjoy it, take bus or something to airport
>sleep in airport, nobody is gonna care because people sleep there all the time
>wake up, go to trucker shower, proceed to con
has anyone else tried this or is it a crazy idea?
>>
>>10898907
you're a retard anon
>nowhere to keep your belongings/bags unless you rent a car and 95% have to pay for parking at the venue
>going through security for 3 nights without a valid plane ticket isn't going to happen just to sleep on a bench
>you're still paying $$$ for uber/whatever to go airport->truck stop->con and vice versa
>>
>>10898907
Uncomfortable on a good day, absolute hell on a bad day. And if the airport has metal dividers between chairs, you're done. I slept on the fucking floor in Atlanta airport one night because I accidentally arrived a day too early and it was one of the most miserable nights of my life. You're better off with a hostel
>>
>>10898793
> It looks like a suit jacket/skirt with no buttons or zips.
A dress. A long sleeve, maxi/ankle length one. Probably out of a sturdy cotton or cotton sateen -- though I imagine the shine is just to make the colors not so flat and not actually indicative of the fabric.
>>
>>10898750
I can't recall the names of the materials off of the top of my head, but you might find some good information from a creator who did a similar build. PunishedProps on Youtube did a tutorial on Madolorian helmets that used thin plastic and one-way reflective material. Sounds like it could be helpful to you.
>>
>>10898348
Thanks I'm pretty retarded
>>
>>10898923
Just found it, the face shield replacement lenses. You might be onto something here; I have to redo the front piece because I cut it crooked as hell, but I'll try to grab a piece and see how that works out; thanks!
>>
>>10898940
Ah, I'm glad it could be of some use to you. Good luck, anon! I'm sure your project will turn out great :)
>>
New cosplayer here. I was looking at buying this cosplay:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804668376618.html

There's just one issue. The sizes are S/M/L/XL, but I don't know if that's in Male or Female sized. There's even a size chart for Men and Women in the description, but it doesn't say which one is used to order. Is there a way to tell?
>>
>>10899135
When I pull up the link, I can see on the page that it says "Source: Boys Choose" or "Girls' Choose" underneath the sizes. I'm guessing it means womens' sizing or mens' sizing -- especially if they have a size chart for each already in the listing.
>>
File: 1689688232292488.jpg (1.39 MB, 2000x1500)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>10899311
Oh! That wasn't there before. Thank you anon.
>>
Is there a way to add pockets to pants? Dokidoki loves making pants without pockets for some reason
>>
>>10894324
I think I saw you on IG
>>
>>10899482
If it has a seam, most of the time a pocket can be snuck in. There's some great youtube tutorials. "how to add pockets to your clothes" would be a likley search term.
>>
What would be the easiest way to do something like 621/Raven from AC6? Just wrap myself in seran wrap and have a sign that says C4-621 hanging around my neck?
>>
>>10899482
Dokidoki is just one massive reseller of 20 different cosplay stores off Taobao
>>
>>10899539
no they're not they have a taobao shop.
>>
>>10899543
What does Dokidoki sell that is exclusive to their shop only?
>>
>>10899483
I saw that too and wondered if it was anon lol
>>
Gonna be cosplaying Blade at a con soon, thing is I'm black and really feel like the standard straight haired wigs won't really work on me, so I figure I get a dreadlock wig and paint it, but how should I go about that?
>>
File: Blade.png (739 KB, 977x613)
739 KB
739 KB PNG
>>10899972
Fucking forgot my pic
>>
File: 1693915872013.jpg (970 KB, 1080x1440)
970 KB
970 KB JPG
Does anyone know any reputable JK stores/brands? I'd prefer taobao or 1699, but anything goes. I just want to buy something that's not 100% polyester
>>
>>10900024
chinese jk/nanchatte will always look like a shitty cheap costume. china doesn't have these kind of school uniforms but they're trying to copy them and have no idea what they're doing. and like your pic, they end up looking like a mix of kpop outfits and slutty weebshit. those shoes are all fucking awful. just buy good japanese brand like conomi.
>>
File: 365879633_max.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
I'm going to a con fairly soon and I want to wear a mask, something like picrel in coverage and quality. I used to be able to find tons of different masks like this online from all sorts of shows, but now when I look all I find is either generic stuff like oni or fox spirit masks, or that smiling assassin guy. Anyone have any good recommendations of characters with masks like this or of websites to find them? Modern SEO feels like hell.
>>
>>10900024
honest question, why do they stand like that? with their knees bent inward and such.
>>
Is there a trick to cutting bevels in foam, even with my sharpest blade its still a struggle and my hands aren't steady enough, and I always have to put to much pressure on the foam to cut it
Is there something I can do to make it easy or is it literally just skill issues and I just need to keep trying until I'm skilled enough
>>
>>10900716
There's a few tools that hold boxcutter blades / exacto knife blades at different angles. You can also use the big circle part on the side on belt sanders to bevel foam.
>>
>>10900278
either way you're gonna look retarded so whats it matter
>>
File: 1688851522847.jpg (73 KB, 736x736)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>10900271
I mean okay? At the end, I came to conclusion that I really just want a good quality plaid pleated skirt. Through thanks for the suggestion
>>10900693
Idk, maybe they're trying to look more casual and not so upright
>>
>>10900890
>good quality plaid pleated skirt.
That ain't it, sis.
>>
>>10900890
fuck off back to /fa/
>>
File: 1706125642455.jpg (107 KB, 736x736)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>10900904
>..I have held a nice woolen pleated skirt like this in my own hands in thrift shop, it was just way too short for me
They don't make them from anything else than polyester nowadays or something? Or is the implication that I have no taste? (I mean fair enough)
>>
>>10900910
Stop posting images with all your replies, newfag.
>>
>>10900910
bro, this shit isn't wool.
>>
>>10900890
If you just want high quality nanchatte then do as >>10900271 says and go to conomi, they're the most popular jk uniform shop
>>
Does anyone know of a guide or something similar for cosplay on social media? I wanna get into posting my cosplays (TikTok, Twitter, etc.) but I’m not sure exactly where to start.
>>
>>10900278
Amazon would definitely have them or any online cosplay store.
>>
>>10900716
It is a decent amount of slow, steady hands and skill built through repetition, but also the right tools can help. There's some cosplay specific tools like the Bev-All that could help
>>
>>10901070
You could try looking at youtube, but to my knowledge there isn't any specific guide. Try expanding your search to just general social media guides and it might help. We do have a social media thread but I don't think it's active/up at the moment. Try checking the archives.
>>
File: 1700587034154198.png (39 KB, 333x500)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Who should I cosplay? I'm 5'4 male. I've done angel devil but want to try other characters. Preferably someone easy and recognizable/popular. I don't play Genshin.
>>
>>10901501
do 9S and get 2B mommies
>>
File: 61YOiL616dS.jpg (83 KB, 1300x1300)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>10891006
Does anyone know how I can make hot glue sticks less translucent so they diffuse light?
>>
>>10901070
I think you’re overthinking it a bit. Just make an account, lurk a bit to see what hashtags other cosplayers are using, and maybe google banned hashtags for whatever sm you’re using so your posts are less likely to get fucked by the algorithm
>>
>>10901615
Can you be more specific about what you’re trying to achieve?
>>
>>10900716
Use a dremel fren, its invaluable in foamwork. Just dont breathe the dust.
>>
>>10899972
You can use an airbrush to paint highlights into wigs, but the color may rub out if you are really rough with it. Plenty of people use synthetic fabric dye to color their own wigs too, look at rit dye. Dying 2 dark colors next to eachother will be difficult though.
>>
File: 1677547989980992.png (762 KB, 709x739)
762 KB
762 KB PNG
As opposed to cons, most people cosplay for Twitter/IG feeds now that monetization is more convenient, so they're doing their makeup in a way that only maximizes their appearance on camera (with all the after-effects and such) as they can eliminate things like a visibly cakey skin texture, which you'd otherwise notice IRL... or using face smoothing to make harsh contour look more coherent and balanced.

I know people did this even in 2014 (waterline trick) but it's just gotten slightly more extreme each year until 10 years later naturalism is just totally abandoned and you can't exactly identify when the tipping point was. Extending the bottom waterline an entire half centimeter, still putting eyelashes over it. It strikes me as overdone and too artificial, could you imagine seeing someone with a fake second set of top row teeth, like a shark? That's basically what having two waterlines with eyelashes looks like. Am I reasonable for this, or is there a way to make this style work in both contexts (camera and IRL)

Have you seen someone wearing makeup like picrel who still looks good in person, up close and personal?
>>
>>10891006
I'm making a set of sci fi armor that's pretty simplistic out of eva foam but I'm worried about messing up the dimensions and making something that doesn't fit together or fit me. What's the best the best way to design it beforehand? I've just been drawing out the dimensions on paper but is there a better way?
>>
>>10901816
Make a mockup out of cardstock and can also make another out of cheap foam to test.
Make sure its not too tight you might want it slightly lose foam can get hot.
>>
I'm making a set of extra arms for a cosplay but I'm unsure of how to paint them.
The outside is EVA foam for details so I'm not sure how that effects paint especially when I'm going for a skin tone.
>>
File: boyang-zhu-side.jpg (173 KB, 718x1723)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
I'm making my first ever cosplay
how would I make the clasp thing? I was thinking carve it out of wood then acrylic paint it to look shiny like the game texture?
also what about the gauntlet things? what are those and how could you make them?
appreciate any help
>>
>>10893983
You have a cute nose, anything you do to it is going to he distracting. Keep in mind the reason noses are heavily simplified in anime/animation in general is that noses don't convey a lot of emotional/visual interest. Also even JP people don't have anime noses. Hope that helps.
>>
>>10902063
>brooch
I would generally advise against woodworking for cosplay unless you already are experienced with it. Many other crafting materials are far cheaper, more lightweight, easier to work with, and more straightforward to adjust mistakes.
In this case, I'd recommend using modeling clay to create the metal piece (painting it silver) and then a large rhinestone for the gem. Then attach a pinback or similar fastening notion on the rear. Alternatively, you could browse secondhand stores or sites to find a reasonably similar costume jewelry piece.
>bracers
These are called "bracers" and are an extremely common costume piece for everything from fantasy to sci-fi. Typically they are made from EVA foam painted to look like leather... searching for some variety of "cosplay bracer tutorial" will turn up no shortage of tutorials that you can use.
>>
>>10902072
thanks!
>>
I just bought and tried on this premade cosplay. It fits me well, but I'd like to replace some of the cheaper parts with nicer looking things. What would be the easiest / most straightforward ways to improve this premade?
>>
What's the best way to make a blood pattern on a shirt as if I slashed something with a katana? Obviously a slash like streak across the shirt, but it can't be too uniform
>>
>>10901686
I was trying to achieve seamless lighting. I kiiiinda got it.
>>
File: Veldora_Human_Anime.png (169 KB, 404x833)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
Any suggestions where I can buy gloves that go near elbow length (16-17 in) and flair out? Or at least what they would be called? I don't care about the color, just something that is leather (or looks like it) with that length. Searching online has shown me its apparently uncommon for there to be elbow length gloves in men's sizes. DIY solution is kind of out of the question since most tutorials I found online seem to be for spandex or a spandex like material and I don't trust myself to handle working with leather/pleather etc. Initially I thought I could probably mod out some super sentai gloves, but those are surprisingly shorter than expected. Honestly at this point even the name of the type of glove would be an immense amount of help.
>>
>>10902265
What are the cheap parts you'd like to replace? That will inform our answer.
>>
>>10902343
Dip a paintbrush or stick into a thing of paint and recreate the slashing pattern you'd like. There's several formulas online to replicate the look of blood in paint or other materials.
>>
>>10902370
These are grade-A fantasy clothes that you're not gonna find anywhere except a cosplay specific shop, commissioning someone, or by making them yourself.
>>
>>10902436
Oh that's a good idea, thanks
>>
File: 432523454524.jpg (97 KB, 1220x630)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10902437
I mean, not really. They totally exist in women's sizes in a similar style as you can see in pic related. But I'm a guy and I have a larger palm and long monkey fingers. I'm not concerned about the 2 toned colors since I could probably get a similar look from fabric paint.
>>
So I need help. I'm working on a cosplay and I want to make some armwraps/legwraps. What would be the best material to do this with? I want it to be strong, but soft and pliable. I also want a large variety of colors to choose from. I've looked for products similar and they were boxing handwraps that ended in a wristcuff which I don't want. Any help is appreciated!
>>
>>10902444
Also if any of you need examples of the characters I'm emulating let me know.
>>
Has anyone ordered from QQCOS (qqcos.jp) ? I'm probably shooting in the dark with this one since I can't find any mention of it in the archive, but they seem to make what I'm looking for, somewhat detailed anime cosplay. However, I'm a bit skeptical as they have an office in China, so I'm thinking Taobao tier.
>>
>>10902492
Anon, with that sort of pricing, it is absolutely Chinese factory-tier costumes. Not saying there can't be decent stuff, but that Japanese labor costs would never allow items priced this low. Even if the person directly running the site is Japanese, the stock is from Chinese Taobao stores.
>>
>>10902516
Yeah, I thought so. But some I actually saw some in the high five-digit/six-digit range for yen and thought those might be something. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>10902518
Do you have direct links? I can check for you
>>
>>10902524
Here, have a Girugamesh cosplay:
http://qqcos.jp/?pid=127007902
To be fair, they do put a picture to actual item disclaimer.
>>
What kind of makeup do I use for hand stitches? I've been using sharpie and it always looks like shit plus it wears off due to skin oils/washing hands/etc.
>>
File: file.png (2.08 MB, 1650x1119)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
>>10902525
nayrt but a couple thoughts:
- My go-to method for checking on a cosplay storefront is to search social media. Instagram and Twitter people will commonly post "Just got my new [character] cosplay from @[store]!" and you can either gauge the quality from their pictures or maybe they'll follow up with their thoughts. QQCOS only came up with non-English posts, but using auto-translate it seems like your average Chinese factory: skimps on the details or final construction, not the best communication, but not a scam where the pictures aren't representative of the work.
- In that particular case I'd be concerned about the details. The description says it's EVA foam (looks to be vinyl-wrapped? some white foam is visible on backsides) but doesn't have other details - how do you wear it? how does it look up close? what does it look like from the rear? how will it be shipped? It's being custom-made, how sure are you that there will be good communication between you, the storefront, and the maker (either in general or on top of the language/distance barrier)? etc etc. For a four-figure investment it seems more shaky than I'd personally be comfortable with.
>>
File: cohesive.jpg (412 KB, 1458x1500)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
I'm sure there are better methods to make something more reusable, but I just use cohesive tape to make handwraps. You can get it cheap at a sporting goods store and it comes in different colors. It's adhesive but doesn't stick to skin or hair so it's easy to wrap on or remove. And because it's meant to hold on gauze or other medical wrappings it'll stay in place for a con day.
>>
>>10902525
Ah so the pricing for that one is most likely jacked up due to sheer amount of packaging needed for the factory to ship the pieces without damage from China to Japan. They can't exactly toss it into a plastic sack and ship in a bag. The listing even mentions taking extra 1-2 months to custom make and offers to toss in the wig for another 2680 yen, so yes, all Chinese quality. At most perhaps whoever receives it in Japan might touch up the costume a bit before reshipping to the buyer, but I'm willing to bet it'll likely be dropship.
>>
What kind of glue should I use for EVA foam?
>>
>>10902547
>>10902548
Got it, got it. I think I'll play it safe and as much as I hate creating accounts, doing research on cosplay from social media sounds pretty smart. Thank you
>>
>>10902598
misquote meant for >>10902554
>>
>>10902444
You can make your own fabric straps(cut out a long rectangle then sew it into a tube, then finish the raw edges) and wrap your arms up, then sew in velcro where necessary to keep the tail in place. I did a similar process for Tanjiro's leg wraps and it worked great. Just go to hobby lobby or joanns and pick out a fabric that looks and feels right
>>
>>10902598
Contact cement. I use DAP weldwood and it works great, just follow the directions on the can and let it get fully tacky before sticking your parts together. Countless youtube tutorials for it too.
>>
>>10902623
Meant for >>10902569
My bad
>>
File: IMG_20190813_165205.jpg (47 KB, 425x1000)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
How do you make up for being short as a male cosplayer?
Most male characters have pretty tall proportions, when you try to put the same costume onto a short body it just looks weird.

Helmets/masks are especially bad, since 99% of the time the character designer shrinks the head to make it look better.
>>
I'm making a sword arm with tentacles like image related. I want them to be a little bit flexible (as opposed to rigid) so what's a good base material here?
>>
>>10902623
Thixofix good equivalent in the UK.
>>
>>10902440
>For costumes dressy warm role-playing gloves
It says it right in the listing, my guy. They're costume gloves, not an everyday pair. Ergo my suggestion to buy from a cosplay shop.

It's great that you can get it through Amazon -- as you can do with many costumes nowadways. You should try searching for a men's pair using similar costume-related search terms like for larpers or renaissance fair costumes. Try "archer".
>>
>>10902544
The secret to upping the lasting power of makeup is by applying it in three layers: a base, the makeup, and then a setting spray or powder. The quality of these three layers will help it sit better on your skin and stay on your skin throughout the day, but any makeup would need a touchup after handwashing or friction. A waterproof makeup would help the best such as a waterproof eyeliner, but there's also specialty kinds like Mehron or Ben Nye body paints. There's tons of great resources on youtube.
>>
>>10902548
You dropped your reply, anon
>>
>>10902657
There's two angles.
#1: You get over it. Embrace your body as is and focus on translating the character onto your canvas.
#2: You go the theater route and use cheats through clothing, colors, proportions, and poses. Tall boots, long-line angles for photos, adjusting helmet sizing to look better on your body even if its not entirely accurate to canon, changing the canon costume's waist/leg length to accentuate your figure, etc.

It's up to your personal preferences really. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference because you'd have to have the canon reference side by side to see it.
>>
>>10902680
EVA foam and foam clay. It's more than likely what that person used in their arm as well.
>>
>>10902622
How many yards should I get if I want arm and leg wraps?
>>
>>10902690
Sorry, yes, I'm using Eva foam and the clay foam for the sword itself - I've got the base done, but I need something for the tentacles. That's a lot of clay foam to do those - is that the material you'd use for them as well?
>>
>>10902722
They make eva foam dowels. You could use those as a base and then dress them up with the foam clay.
>>
There's a character with clawed/monstrous feet that I wanted to cosplay. I'd also like to use them to get a bit of height (probably 3-4 inches). Would essentially using a wooden block as a platform and just strapping a shoe/boot to the top be the best way to do that, or is there a better way?
>>
>>10902754
>wooden block
I mean, if you hate your feet yes. Otherwise just buy or reuse a platform from a shoe. It's extremely easy to cut away the uppers.
>>
File: tragedy-darthplageu.gif (1.12 MB, 498x227)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB GIF
>>10902689
>You go the theater route and use cheats through clothing, colors, proportions, and poses
>>
File: 1690866655162816.jpg (65 KB, 844x563)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
What are these costumes called and are they sold anywhere?
>>
>>10902903
>kigurumi, or mascot suits in English

>generally not commercially sold, especially if you're looking for a specific character
>these special suits are almost always custom commissions
>prices vary wildly depending on size and complexity, a very average ballpark price in Japan is 600,000 yen (~$5000)
>>
I primed eva foam with plati-dip and painted over it with a base coat of rustoleum metallic paint and then restoleum white paint but after the paint dried the whole thing was covered in cracks. Is there a quick way to fix this? Will just repeatedly painting over the cracks work?
>>
>>10902773
There's some good books out there centered on theater sewing, professional tailoring, and photography. The big name cosplayers do their research (or usually are from those specialized fields) and leak down their knowledge to us peasants.

Some knowledgeable cosplayers also make their own books with those techniques. People like: KamuiCosplay, KinpatsuCosplay, PunishedProps, EvilTed, Downen_Creative_Studios, Bernadette Banner (not a cosplayer, but great techniques), CowbuttCrunchies, and essentially any of the people they follow/shout-out/interact with regularly.

Since you mentioned masks, it's a good place to start with learning how to scale a foam pattern up/down to look more proportional to your head. Or if you're making your costume, start leaning about tailoring.
>>
>>10891006
as a man, how do I choose wigs?
>>
>>10903120
What are you trying to pick a wig for? what do you need help with? Fit, color, shine?
>>
File: hair.png (144 KB, 492x230)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>10903134
I'm trying to pick a wig for my Terry cosplay so
-blonde
-long in the back (for the ponytail)
-short bangs
-straight

i just want general tips on how to choose a good wig and make sure it fits me
>>
I have never cosplayed or been to a convention before. Is there any etiquette i should know before going for the first time? I want to go as Sly Cooper but I am not sure if i would fit in. Was planning to go to GalaxyCon
>>
This isn’t strictly cosplay related but could I theoretically take a denim jacket, bleach it, and dye it red, or is there some reason/several reasons this wouldn’t work as intended?
>>
>>10903494
Just remembered Levi’s makes jackets that are already white. Disregard
>>
>>10903281
You worry too much, just show up in costume and walk around. Don't get touchy or creepy with people and you're fine
>>
>>10891344
Have to? No, but it has come up. It's all about your level of comfort. If you don't feel comfortable feel free to say no.
>>
Anon from >>10898750 again with another EVA question: any *temporary* ways to affix this stuff to fabric? Trying to keep some foam fingertips onto (satin) gloves, but I cant think of any non-permanent methods. (Not that I'm opposed to making it permanent, just wanting to clear that bridge before I break the glue out.)
>>
File: IMG_2704.jpg (97 KB, 1139x1000)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Making a helmet cosplay thing, got some chin straps but need to get foam pads for my head. Any recommended type of pads or specific products?
Was originally thinking of just getting a memory foam block from amazon and cutting squares into shape, but also seen some products like these.
>>
File: Jacket.jpg (1.43 MB, 3024x4032)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
Working this jacket for a post-apocalyptic build. This is just the first step.

I used Rit Dye Remover to fade the red by half and then used Alcohol Ink to yellow the arms. But, the elastic portions (neck, wrists, waist) were unaffected by the process.

How can I get them equally faded and/or dirty?
>>
Trying to go to SDCC this year. Never been to comic con or any con before and apparently you need to buy a ticket to enter but it looks like tickets for SDCC are sold out? And you need to buy them the previous year in advance? Dont know how any of this works is this really the case or am I just retarded?
>>
>>10903720
magnets and/or safety pins, there's going to pointy sewing happening and don't count on the gloves being completely unscathed
>>
>>10903898

Hang out in the sun or give it a tea bath
>>
>>10903883
I got that exact set for a helmet of my own, and I wasn't very impressed.
If your helmet is a good fit both size and shape-wise, it might be fine, but for my stuff that sat loosely on my head it was totally unhelpful as my helmet would just tip around as it pleased.

The first thing I tried after that worked surprisingly well was upholstery foam, it compresses a lot and one piece on the back of the helmet did a pretty good job keeping it in place, until I ended up adding more weight and electronics

The second thing that worked extremely well was going to Harbor Freight, buying a $12 hard hat, then taking the harness out and hot-gluing the tabs to the inside of my helmet.

I'm never doing a helmet without a hardhat harness again, it just works so well.
>>
File: long wig.png (146 KB, 340x454)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
I've gotten a pretty long (over two feet in length) wig for a new cosplay. Having never worn a wig that's longer than shoulder-length, what are some things I should keep in mind for storage, wearing, etc to make sure it doesn't become a tangled mess?
I don't really have any concerns about styling the hair (it's straightened, but not a character like Legolas where "not a single hair out of place" is a consideration), more what to do when it's not on my head. Condition it? Keep it netted? Learn how to braid it? etc
>>
>>10904383
When storing any wig, you want to make sure that you have something to keep the wig cap's shape. I didn't and had an ugly bump in my wig once. Yes, you do want to use netting for storage. I hear that a silica packet is also helpful if you live in a humid climate.

In terms of managing tangles, it's about prevention, upkeep, and tools. Using a light spray of silicone spray helps to keep the fibers from tangling as bad. Then, make sure you're using an actual wig brush or wide toothed comb and comb it from the bottom up to reduce how many strands you pull out. Lastly, accept that it is going to get tangled after a day of wear no matter what.

>conditioner
Remember that the fibers are plastic and not real hair (unless you did buy a real hair wig). Conditioner doesn't work on it the same as it would on a real head of hair.

>braid it?
I wouldn't do that unless you want a wavy style.
>>
File: latest-3710259643.png (19 KB, 265x397)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
best course of action to make the ice crown from adventure time? would foam be the way to go?
>>10897785
I saw the most beautiful fem chris chan cosplayer last year I say go for it
>>
>>10904536
Yeah foam for that seems like the way to go. 2 thin sheets. Shit if sure you can big plastic already sticky gems like that too.
>>
File: Guts_Cosplay_2.jpg (823 KB, 1224x1632)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
Besides lifting 'til I look like Schwarzenegger in his prime, where can I get more accurate pieces for my Guts/Berserk cosplay. Mainly a bigger sword; I paid $60 for this size and I'm thinking I might commission the original seller to make a larger one.

Sorry about my face; an eclipse happened.
>>
Gonna cosplay for the first time. It won't be extravagant just something out of my closet. The character is a guy in a suit (Not chainsaw man) so I imagine it'll look very plain. I'm worried about the hair, idk if I should buy a wig or just style it like his since we share the same hair color.
>>
File: Victor_%22Vic%22_Vega.jpg (28 KB, 360x450)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>10904617
A lot of people DIY Guts' sword (or Buster Swords, same principles) out of insulation foam or similar stuff... although it's large, because it's a relatively simple shape without a lot of fine detailing means it can be a noob-friendly project. Might be worth looking into.

>>10904636
I find that a wig can work as an "I'm cosplaying!!" indicator when a costume is simpler street clothes. Though I recommend a wig in most cases, unless you're cosplaying a character with short hair or a relatively unstyled look similar to what you normally do.
If you're concerned about people not being able to identify your character, carrying around an accessory is a good way to add hints. I have a friend who does Reservoir Dogs cosplay (which is the extremely vague "wearing a suit and sunglasses") but adds bloody makeup and carries around a fast food cup to tip off what character he is.
>>
>>10904536
i used yellow construction paper, drew out the shape and cut it out, drew the gems on separate construction paper, painted them and taped them on. worked perfectly.
you just have to measure the circumference of the head so it fits.
my crown is the best looking ice king crown ive seen online desu. not to suck my own dick or anything but it looks great visually. and it was easy as fuck to make.
>>
i'm cosplaying a character in a customized schooll uniform. her knit vest has a custom design on it and she's not a popular enough costume to be sold like that. since i dont knit i was trying to figure out a way to modify a pre-existing vest by adding the custom detail on top. what would be the best way to fake the knitted look?
>>
File: 1701423536340979.jpg (242 KB, 2151x526)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
Is the length of this wig ok for the size of my head? How do I style it like in the picture of the model? I don't know anything about wig/hair styling.
>>
>>10904683
this looks great anon, especially love the gems. I opted to go for the craft foam but thanks for the reference pic
>>
File: 61Zd1Z2RLPL._AC_SL1100_.jpg (75 KB, 1100x835)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>10902063
For full accuracy on the clasp, I'd agree with the previous poster about sculpting the base from clay since it looks likes vaguely diamond shape. For a not as accurate but simpler version, you can look into finding an oval brooch tray/blank/base/bezel. For the stone I'd recommend the search term "cabochon" to find options with that rounded shape.

>>10902370
I don't know their technical name, but the search term "gauntlet glove" brings up similar shapes. A lot of these are motorcycle riding gear, for costume options try adding the word pirate or renaissance to your search.
>>
I need a Hawaiian shirt style wizard hat for a cosplay I'm going to call the Grand Shaman of Margaritaville. Does anyone know where I could get or commission one?
>>
How do I get started with cosplay?
I thought about doing a team fortress 2 spy cosplay or sth like that (nothing too crazy)
>>
File: zoro my beloved.jpg (258 KB, 880x1100)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
any recommendations on the black "coat" zoro wears on his onigashima raid? I have no idea what to even call it besides a coat... hell, if anyone knows someone that would commission it, that would be cool too
>>
File: 1708897849568169.png (656 KB, 502x1400)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
I don't know how to sew. I would like to learn how to with this being a goal of mine. I have a sewing machine. Where should I start? I don't know how to make patterns or adjust existing ones.
>>
>>10903898
>>10904076
Ended up using diluted maroon alcohol inks, dirt pigment (not actual dirt) and the highlighting some of the imperfections and tears with a teejuice marker.

The arms also came out phemonally. I unfortunately used yellow lighting in the picture, but originally those sleeves were bright white. I used diluted dijon alcohol inks to give them that natural white leather aged color you see on your grandparents varsity jacket with more shading on the seam to invoke dirt caught in the crevices.
>>
>>10905642
Just go to youtube
>>
>>10905642
https://youtube.com/shorts/k6U-pEEGrcc
This helps a lot when drafting skintight patterns, but you need to learn the basics of pattern making and swing first.
>>
>>10905129
>>10905496
Commissioners are all through social media. There's facebook groups dedicated to commissioners showing their portfolios and prices. Instagram and Twitter are also popular choices. You'll just need to look through the tags for cosplay and commissions.

>hawaiian shirt wizard hat
Imo this one seems very easy to diy even with hot glue. The idea is hilarious to me by the way

>black "coat"
I would guess it's some type of traditional japanese wear. A yukata perhaps? Cosplay specialty shops would definitely have something like this if not for the specific character.
>>
>>10905478
>>10905642
The first step in learning how to cosplay (or how to sew your own cosplay) is to do research. Youtube is an incredible and entertaining resource for watching other makers lead you through the process. You'll begin to osmosis the terms and the general idea from conception to completion. Some makers even post costume breakdowns where they go through reference images to figure out what to make first, what tools and materials are needed, and what fabric choices to make.

Once you feel more confident to begin, start with a very easy and simple project. Not a whole outfit. I'm talking 1 prop or 1 part of an outfit. Then build up your skill and stamina. I know that doesn't sound like the most fun, but realistically that's how you get the courage and understanding to start branching out. Pre-made patterns are the easiest way to get started. The instructions are listed out clearly. It's like cooking. It's easier to follow a recipe than to make one from scratch and hope it turns out well. You need a basic understanding of the fundamentals before you can try from scratch and succeed. This means stopping to look up terms as you read the instructions, giving yourself extra time, and making so, SO many mistakes to learn from. I'd also suggest getting a reference book like The Reader's Digest to Sewing. Most reference books are the same so dont feel like you have to get that title specifically. There's tons of makers who publish cosplay specific books too! Like KamuiCosplay, PunishedProps, KinpatsuCosplay, CowbuttCrunchies, Downen Studios, Jedimanda, Caseyreneecosplay, and Adam Savage. Sometimes there's sales where you can get all of these in ebook format for a low price through the HumbleBundle website.

And remember, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying your costumes. This is for fun. You can start swapping out and upgrading pieces of it as a way to build stamina / upgrade a not-so great premade.
>>
>>10905496
The straw hat outfits from the Wano arc are fucking everywhere if you want to just buy the coat outright. Literally google Zoro wano cosplay and you'll see 2 different outfits. I would just recommend modifying the hell out of them since a lot of them look like bad quality as is.
>>
>>10905799
This was helpful, thank you anon! I ordered a beginner sewing book and am going to dive in once it arrives. I've been trying to run before I can walk.

I've familiar with a few of the people you mentioned but was wary of buying cosplay specific books. Even if they aren't cosplays I'm going to use they sound helpful just for getting hands on experience with fantasy designs.

I definitely understand where you're coming from with the stamina - I feel like it only takes a few mistakes for me to want to give up entirely.
>>
File: 1707623541377641.jpg (102 KB, 808x1077)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Wanna buy some stuff for a cosplay, I currently live in Sweden EU.
Some Miku stuff including pic related.
I have found Nekotwo and Devilinspired carry the items I want, togheter with the Rider Cyberpunk clothes and backpack.
Are these china proxy sites reliable, how is quality? Where do other EU's buy their stuff from? I havent bought cosplay stuff before. Should I try aliexpress instead?
>>
File: file.png (2.23 MB, 750x1899)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
I wanna try my hand at a male version of Arlecchino, I would swap out her pants for dress pants, but I'd like to give them a red to black gradient starting from the bottom, can that be done with spray paint?

Additionally for her coat, I would cut those frills off and turn it into above the elbow rolled sleeves, but I've never cut fabric like that, how would do it properly?
>>
>>10906084
>spray paint
No, it will be crusty and look like shit. Use fabric dye.
>cut frills off and do rolled sleeves
My man just cosplay Wriothesley at that point.
>>
>>10906095
He could do a simple tie dye for that
>>
>>10906095
He's also on my list lmao, I didn't know fabric dye was a thing, will look into that
>>
>>10906139
When you buy fabric dye there's two different kinds. Make sure you figure out what kind of material your dress pants are (there should be a tag on the inside of the leg) and buy the right kind of dye. Natural fibers need cotton dye, synthetic fibers (polyester, nylon, etc) need synthetic dye. If it's a blend go with whatever the highest percentage is.
>>
>>10906142
Thanks anon, that's extremely helpful info
>>
is there a specific thread for fantasy/ren-faire-wear?
>>
I'm too negligent to maintain/use a paint gun. Have I been mistaken thinking this is the best way to paint foam/plastic or is hand painting at least 80% as good?
>>
>>10906193
Varies from project to project. If you're a major autismo and get bothered by brush strokes, then hand painting probably isn't for you. Results obviously vary depending on how skilled you are, same as with an air brush. I personally do a mix of spray paint and hand painting with acrylics and think you can get some pretty decent results from it. Maybe go watch some youtube videos of people doing it if you want reassurance.
>>
>>10906193
spray paint is the alternative here. airbrush is only really good for gradients or small pieces that look fine hand painted.
>>
File: 1709844722872703.gif (18 KB, 404x141)
18 KB
18 KB GIF
if i wanted to do full face clown makeup with a white base what sort of foundation should i use?
im thinking of doing art the clown etc.
does anybody have any reccomendations
>>
I've never sewn before and I'm going to attempt to sew a whole bodysuit. How unbelievably stupid is this idea? How can I make it less stupid?
I'll practice a bit when I borrow my sisters machine on some scraps she has but anything else I can do before I ruin the nice fabric I have
>>
>>10905856
I definitely speak from experience on the stamina part. My first project was a strapless skater dress and I thought that the shapes were simple so the project should be really simple, but it took me a whole ass year and many existential crises to complete because my beginner brain didn't understand that strapless meant that several understructures were needed to keep it up. Also I used slippery satin which also one of the worst to begin with.

So learn from my mistakes and good luck! :)
>>
>>10906145
Not at the moment. Sometimes around renfaire season there is one but /cgl/ has been on a downward trend of traffic and many of our usual threads haven't returned from war. You can start one and hopefully it'll get some replies. If not, this is the most active thread
>>
>>10906277
You would need to use face paint, not a foundation. Foundations are skin-colored, face paint is in any color. Most popular and reputable brands are Snazaroo, Ben Nye, and Mehron.

And, coincidentally from the Homestuck ancients, comes the reminder to seal your paint.
>>
File: 1686795881077381.png (377 KB, 495x440)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
Is getting fake facial hair like this as simple as buying fake mustache/beard?
>>
File: 1710766344079.jpg (892 KB, 876x1566)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
How the hell do you meet people autistic enough to cosplay with you?

I'm very good at prop and costume making, like I get commissions, but I'm too nervous to cosplay by myself... Plus it'd be a lot more fun to do it with someone.
Most my commissions are sent internationally fyi, mostly to the US.

I live in a big city (not US or UK), but I can't seem to meet anyone.
>>
Any beginner tips for doing makeup? I've literally never tried it before, but I want to go all-out for this cosplay.
>>
>>10906289
it's a little stupid but i would buy a zentai suit to try on and use as a pattern instead of building up a paper pattern. buy/use a needle and foot for stretch fabrics, it will ruin the seams if you dont. ive learned a lot from taking on stupid complicated projects
>>10906326
you have to buy adhesive and some makeup too. practice putting it on at least once before the convention
>>10906909
this seems like a bot post with how generic it is but in case it isnt there are probably millions of tutorials already out there for cosplay makeup. the context for where youre cosplaying matters too, the products/method will differ if youre wearing it for tik tok selfies or photoshoots or for an entire convention. very first step should be to figure out whether you have oily or dry skin, then build from there. a lot of people leave out false eyelashes but those really make the biggest difference in a finished vs unfinished looking cosplay
>>
File: shoes.jpg (447 KB, 1977x850)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
I'm a bit confused on how I'd make these shoes. Should I just get as close to accurate with high tops and then like take leather pieces to it or something? I'm not very good at sewing - though I can handsew - but I'm not quite sure how that'd look. What is a viable option?
I have about 10 weeks to figure something out.
>>
>>10904962
IMO, yeah. It looks good on you just practice styling it
>>
>>10906933
Hadn't heard of zeni suits before. I was looking at other ones but they all seemed extremely see through and cosplay girlys online were just making their own so I assumed you couldn't get something that good.
Guess I could have a summer and winter body suit if I attempt both as the material I brought was rather warm. I don't have a particular con in mind so I have time
>>
I've got a very niche question
But I need to airbrush some paint onto some fabric, does anyone have a good recommendation for a kind of paint or a paint brand to use? Thanks
>>
File: 1701206498909091.jpg (312 KB, 1525x2048)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>10899135
>>10899311
>>10899404
>>10906909
>>10906933
Finally put everything together and cosplayed for the first time at a con yesterday! Everything went well- I think the cosplay itself looked good and even though I was completely new at doing makeup, everyone said it was great! I even made sure to shave my entire body (just in case) and moisturize. No fake eyelashes fell off and everything stayed put for the entire con. Thanks for your help /cgl/.

I even have a funny story:
>cosplay Yukari from Touhou at a con yesterday
>brought my Yukari fumo as well
>guy comes up to me very excited
>starts talking to me about my fumo
>I respond
>all of a sudden his face goes deadpan
>"Oh, I thought you were a girl."
>continues talking to me about his fumos
>>
File: file.png (116 KB, 231x311)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
How do I get into cosplay as a complete beginner? I've started to get the urge to go to more cons after hitting a couple of local ones but I'd really like to be able to at least throw some sort of cosplay together if I'm going to go to these big fandom events. I'm an /m/fag so I'm blessed with having a good selection of straightforward uniforms from something like Gundam, and I feel like someone like 0079 Char would be a reasonable starting place. On the other hand I do want something that'd be reasonably recognizable because I do want to make friends (I am very lonely) and/or fuck in a hotel room (ditto) - from what I hear cosplay is an excellent social fuel and that's as valuable to me as the artistry.

So if you don't mind me asking, how did you get started? Where do you draw your inspiration?
>>
Is there a trick to putting on wigs? I style it perfectly on the dummy head but when I remove it from the dummy and put it on it inevitably messes up
>>
>>10906326
I just grew mine out when I did peacewalker big boss.
>>
>>10907200
>how did you get started? Where do you draw your inspiration?
it's simple anon, especially if, like in your case, you already have a target. Once you decide upon cosplaying a character, the first step is to see what other people have done before you. So you search up for tutorials or just straight up people cosplaying your character and start comparing their work to the original source, see what you like or what you'd change etc. After that you dive into whatever resources you can find online, for your pic related sewing would be most important. And from there you wing it depending on your skills, wants and needs.
Or you could just buy a costume from the internet/commission one from a maker. But that, IMO, sucks a lot of the fun out of cosplaying.
>>
I'm a guy who knows absolutely fuckall about makeup but I want to do some face/body paint for a simple first cosplay. Not a full face covering or anything, just some "simple" designs. The whole procedure is a bit nerve-wracking and the body paint section in the OP guide is a little lacking so I figure I should probably just ask.
Is Mehron decent for beginners? Should I shave my arms and legs if I'm going to paint them? Will water-based paints ruin my clothes or can they be washed out? Outside of the basic guidance of using a facial cleanser beforehand and trying to apply it all in one go, is there anything else you'd recommend?
>>
File: Oof.png (314 KB, 283x558)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
Mild panic. I am trying to do a low-tech astronaut build and grabbed this g-suit. I thought I could use dye remover to turn it white, but dye remover did nothing to a sample of the fabric.

My partner suggested using fabric paint to make this white/grey, but there's so much detail on it and little spots that I don't think that's possible.

Can I make this work or should I move to a new medium and if so, what might work for an ALIEN style space suit?
>>
>>10907413
What material is it?
>>
>>10907416
Nylon. The dye remover I used said it works with Nylon, but idk what kind of dyes they used for it.
>>
Has anyone ever used a sephora makeup artist for a cosplay and if so was it worth it? I want to get my makeup done for a lucy cosplay, but i dont own any makeup or have makeup skills, so i'm thinking it would be easier to just go get my makeup done by an artist at Sephora. Opinions or advice on this?
>>
>>10907417
What color are you trying to get it? If it darker you could try to dye over it? I've never used nylon so I have no idea.
>>
>>10907460
I'm trying to get it to white/grey, but I'd also be okay with more of a yellow.
>>
>>10907462
You could try painting a sample, my concern with that is it might come off with wear.
>>
>>10907456
Lucy's makeup shouldn't be very difficult to do yourself. I don't think I'd recommend going to a stylist, they won't be any more familiar with cosplay makeup than you are unless you get really lucky. The best way would be to buy some cheap drugstore eyeliner and practice making a nice sharp wing before the con (for which buy some nicer red eyeliner). You can use tape if you want, it helps you get a nice edge.
>>
More of a general con question, but has anyone had luck requesting late checkout at the hotel?
Mainly I want to avoid waiting 20min for the elevator because everyone is trying to leave at 11am...
>>
File: KWIK SEAL.jpg (22 KB, 268x552)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
What's an alternative for Kwik Seal for EVA foam gap filling? We don't have this in my eastern europoor country and I'm getting really filtered by the concept of "adhesive caulk".
>>
>>10907456
It might work if you can get an appointment at a convenient time. might be worth looking up local make up artists besides sephora, or asking around the con discord group if you can pay someone to do it there. if you do go to a normie make up artist bring a reference photo of a woman wearing red eyeliner, not a picture of the character lol.
that being said, just buying ELF brand foundation + concealer + blush + mascara + lipstick + eyeliner would probably be cheaper and it's a good skill to learn yourself.
>>10907417
yeah nylon is pretty much plastic and if they used green nylon to make it then it isnt really nylon dyed green. a paint would have to somehow be really flexible and really adhesive to stick on that kind of material as a whole coat without flaking. a few very very light coats of spray paint and then painting muddy weathering might be your best bet if youre stuck with this and dont have time/resources to try a different suit
>>10907228
dummy heads are usually smaller than human heads so it will mess up the style a bit. you could add padding to your dummy head or just anticipate having to restyle it
>>
>>10907456
No, this won't give you a cosplay-accurate look if that's what you're trying to get (for nearly free). You're not paying an actual makeup artist $80-$150 for a full-face makeup. Cosplay makeup is different from real life/party makeup, like how cosplay wigs are not the same as volumizing your real hair. Cosplay makeup generally means manipulating your eye shape heavily with fake lashes and highlight/contouring, much more akin to stage makeup that looks weird close-up and without a wig.
>>
>>10907523
I appreciate. I feel like an idiot because the accessories I got (boots, cricket pads, gloves) are white and now I'm scrambling to come up with an alternative. Thankfully the suit and comm cap together were only $60
>>
>>10907349
Mehron is reputable. Any good brand will do fine, they're not skill-locked.

>Should I shave my arms and legs if I'm going to paint them?
You could. If you don't, it'll look the same as when your skin is wet -- the hair will just lie down and show a bit of texture on your skin.

> Will water-based paints ruin my clothes or can they be washed out?
Hard to say. I'd test it. Even some "washable" paints can leave a tint on clothing because the fibers are just so very very thirsty.

>is there anything else you'd recommend?
Primer and setting spray or powder! Sealing is the most important part, arguably even more important than the paint. I believe Mehron has its own setting spray and primer. You could use a drugstore makeup primer, but I'd suggest getting the branded setting spray if you can. There's tons of great tutorials on youtube. Look up "Homestuck body paint sealing tutorial" -- they are your ancestors.
>>
>>10907555
>Primer and setting spray or powder!
Thanks, can't believe I missed that. From the way you described I can probably get by with not shaving which is fine by me.
I'm also going to probably try fucking around with eyeliner for the first time in my life just to fit with the style of what I'm cosplaying; should I apply the paint before or after the eyeliner?
>>
How to paint 3d printed props? Acrylic doesn't look like it's taking, even after applying primer.
>>
>>10907564
Does the eyeliner go on top of the body paint? If so, after. If they're not joined, do the eyeliner first since you'll need more movement in your arms to draw the lines you want.

I used to suck ass at eyeliner. I realized that keeping your eye open and relaxed is actually easier than having it closed, especially if you have hooded eyelids. And like painting a canvas, you don't want to move your wrist, just your elbow/arm.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Hey, haven't had to buy a wig in a very long time so he's my stupid question - Where do I go to get a cheapish wig that's decent quality? It doesn't have to be great but surprisingly good for the price is what I'm hoping for. Wig supplier was my go to, but now I see wigs on temu, shein, alliexpress and even amazon and I don't have the time to try them all.
>>
For my first cosplay I'd like to do something that's easy and cheap to assemble. Doctor Solar was the first that came to mind.
>red morph suit
>iron-on nuclear symbol
>black canvas belt w/small leather pouch
Only snags are trying to match his green complextion, and finding a pair of "mono shades" that are square.

What would best adhere to my face and lips to make them a solid green? Jusr face paint and lipstick?

The glasses aren't as big of a deal since there's always a ton of them that remsemble it somewhat closely, but I'd be fine either settling for those or commssioning someone to make them. Any /cgl/-approved sellers that can possibly help?
>>
>>10907855
>wigs on temu, shein, alliexpress and even amazon
They're all from the same Chinese warehouses and sold through different vendors on all of these platforms. Temu has safety issues, so I'd suggest buying from Shien or Ali for the cheapest price or Amazon for the quickest delivery and free returns.
>>
>>10907935
>What would best adhere to my face and lips to make them a solid green? Jusr face paint and lipstick?
Yup. Don't forget to prime and seal it! There's brands in the FAQ and also mentioned in a reply above.

>Any /cgl/-approved sellers that can possibly help?
This is a common misconception. There are no /cgl/ approved sellers. You gotta go on social media (any of 'em) and check the tags. You should always look for a commissioner with expertise in the skill area of the item/clothing you're looking for.
>>
>>10907649
I wanna say thanks again for your help, and I'm wondering about one more thing - say I'm wanting to use something like foundation just to even out my skin tone, or some other light makeup. Does that have any issues with body paint?
>>
File: file.png (1.54 MB, 1077x807)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
I ended up getting this sword 3d printed after I paint and finish assembly what is a good way to make it separable so I can stow it away or take it in a suitcase or something? Could I just dremel some slots for magnets at the joints?
>>
>>10908485
I haven't tried it myself yet but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0mnpl3U4w
>>
>>10908493
would that work with that many separations? I can't make one through line because of how it was printed.
>>
File: 1695019937905020.png (9 KB, 1057x630)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>10908496
Ah, maybe not. I ended up with going for this with my own, but accounted for it in the model itself. This was for stability as well, not portability, although your idea with the dremel would likely work.

Something like this?
>>
>>10908497
that might work, never worked with 3d printed stuff before, structurally it should be fine to dremel a spot big enough for a small-ish pvc pipe to run between each segment ya?
>>
File: cosplay.png (2.08 MB, 1735x2000)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB PNG
Hey guys, I'm back again with the same unfinished Ulquiorra Cosplay.

So, I've finished 3d printing and painting the helm, but the technique I've tried for it to attach to my head didnt work pretty well.

I've basically tried to wear a plastic bow under the wig, with different size magnets glued to it and wearing the helmet with another magnet glued inside, so the magnet from the bow underneath the wig and the magnet from inside the helmet would connect.

Explaining pic related:
1 - The different magnets I've tried to use, none of them were quite able to hold the helm, since wearing one below the wig and another above proved to not be strong enough, they barely connected, so they were pretty far from being able to hold the helm.

2 - the helm piece itself, this is a sideview of it, and I've also included a reference pic on how it should be placed on the head. It is somewhat heavy (around 300g) for something that's gonna stay unbalanced on my head.

3 - the placement of the bow on the wig. Just take note that I was wearing the bow below the wig, on top of the wig cap. Left it above just so it could be easier visualized on the picture. I dont plan to wear a bow above the wig, as it would be pretty hard to cover and wouldn't look good

4 - My plans are to switch to pressure buttons instead of magnets, I'm planning on getting plastic pressure buttons first, because they'll probably adhere better to the helm. I'll be stitching/glueing them on top of the wig and inside the helm, so I can just clip them together

I've also thought of sewing the magnets inside or on top of the wig, but even with the pressure button, I still think there is the problem of aligning the part sewn on the wig with the part glued on the inside of the mask.

Any tips on how to properly and actually have it secured on my head, with the minimum possible of unwanted details showing?
>>
File: -1088237157-1375493337.jpg (309 KB, 1000x1000)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
Would it be a good idea to buy this from what I think is an AliExpress reseller? I cant find any reviews but there are a lot of detail pictures. I can get it for around 300 dollar which doesn't seem much for something like this.
>>
>>10908860
I forgot to mention but the seller has a lot of positive reviews. Except this item hasnt because I think it's very new in shop.
>>
So I need some tips on how you get a large amount of eva foam rolls for cheap. The rolls of white eva foam on Amazon are about $50 a roll and im on a third roll for this fucking project. Any suggestions?
>>
how much cheaper is taobao vs ali?
>>
Whats a good cosplay from popular/recent anime to show off my muscles but not an obvious shirtless dude?
>>
Is it normal for cosplayers to be constantly sick? A cosplayer I follow is constantly sick. I worry about her.
Could this be becasue she's constatnly attending conventions?
>>
The character I wanna cosplay has metal gauntlets and greaves, although he's a pretty niche character so I haven't seen anyone pull it off.
I think I'll make it out of EVA foam as there's a bunch of tutorials that I can reference, but how would one go about the greaves? I want them to be as form fitting and not foam looking as possible. How does it stay on the leg and shoes and stuff? Are there generic templates that are recommended for these armor pieces that I should refer to instead of just getting whatever I find?
>>
Anyone have a decent method of making grooves in eva foam? I'm not talking about bending if, or making bevels. I mean actually making groove indents for pic related. I've done souldering and dremal work but this is Sci fi stuff so it needs some precision and I don't want to spend the money on a Lazer cutter. Anyone know of any good tutorials or videos? Google seems to just think I'm trying to make bevels no matter what I type in.

>>10909563
In the past I've attached velcro/straps/magnets on the inside of the peice and on the body suit or clothing I'm wearing underneath. Leg peices are the worst for armor because they are constantly moving.
>>
Outsider stuffing this question in here out of curiosity

I'm head over heels for a chick who's been doing cosplay for 10+ years now, but people have given me vague warnings that "cosplay chicks ain't right in the head", and made somewhat of a comparison to Horse Girls - which, my sister's a horse girl, and the worst I'll say about her is that she's a cynical, acerbic tomboy, but I don't think that's the horse's fault.
>>
>>10909631
Well you gotta look at why they're cosplaying.
Do they cosplay because they are an attention whore? An influencer? Do they cosplay just a select few characters to show their true appreciation for the series or craft? Do they base their entire personality off of cosplay or how much Likes/Clicks/Views they get for content? Or do they never/rarely post content online?

Most importantly, what is their personality like if you take away the cosplay? Would they have nothing left or would they latch onto another unhealthy hobby? Would you still like them if they stopped cosplaying? Do they gatekeep cosplaying, including telling you who or what you're allowed to cosplay, or do they not even know you exist?
>>
>>10909722
>Are they an attention whore/influencer
She did at one point become a streamer, but the cosplay came first by a long shot

>Do they cosplay just a few select characters out of appreciation and love for the craft?
Yeah, very rarely any flavor of the month stuff here. One of her first itty baby cosplays was a terrible rendition of Portgas D Ace from One Piece that got an A for effort and F for everything else.

>Entire personality based on content engagement?
Not really, but when you end up as a full-time streamer, you have to be a little bit aware of that sort of thing, and as a job it does take a lot of time and effort.
>Rarely post content online
The cosplay in particular though is mostly a passion project, and sometimes the construction of a costume makes for a stream, though she has less time to devote fully to publishing cosplay content.

>What is their personality like without cosplay?
Sweet, kind, empathetic, patient, outgoing after finally coming out of her shell, although there's still a core of impostor syndrome and lacking self-esteem, and she was never one of the popular kids.
>Would they latch onto another unhealthy hobby?
I think so? ADHD is a hell of a drug
>Would you still like them if they stopped cosplaying?
Well yeah, that all was just gravy in the first place
>Do they gatekeep cosplay?
Not at all, to my knowledge, but maybe on the inside she might go "hey how about you don't stuff a football into a sausage casing" or whatever.
>Do they know you exist?
I've been acquainted with her for about a year and a half now, mostly online, though I've met her a few times IRL when both of our friend groups were going to cons and stuff.
>>
>>10909727
Well good luck man, there's a reason why cosplay is called cosplay and not "dressing up for Halloween". Despite what people say about passion and love, the core of it is still showing off in some capacity. You can love and simultaneously whore yourself out. If you cosplay just for the construction, you're just a sewist and you'd rather snap a photo. If you cosplay for fun and wearing something funky, you're probably only hitting Renn faires (its own sort of pompous weirdness) or making stuff for your kids.
Anyways, ADHD ain't an excuse for anything, it doesn't change your personality. It's fine to have ADHD, the bigger issue is IS IT ACKNOWLEDGED AND WELL-MANAGED. And also, do you want to manage it. I can tell you she probably forgoes sleep/food/showers at times in favor of her hobby or latest obsession.
>>
I'm thinking about making or helping people making cosplay props that require electronics and programming. I have a degree in CS and experience with microcontrollers. I would offer my skills for free, i just want to meet new people and get back into the cosplay/con scene, do you guys think there are people who appreciate and make use of my skills?
>>
>>10909812
People will take advantage of you more likely than offering genuine connections or friendships in return. Be careful.
>>
Tourist here. Asked for some tips on a "Prop Thread" last year, thought it was a general but nope, not a frequently made thread.

Made some props but for a doll, wanted to find the thread and deliver the completed pictures as thanks, but that won't be possible.
Anywhere appropriate threads where I could post it? Should I just not bother?
>>
I've never bought contacts for cosplay before and don't know where to buy them? Does anyone have a list of sites I can look and shop around?
>>
>>10907647
Youtube is your friend! Try PunishedProps or KamuiCosplay. They have whole series for beginners.
>>
>>10908304
Happy to help anon. I'm sorry I left your reply in the ether for so long. My two brain cells have finally made their long journey back together.

You don't want to put foundation underneath. First off, you won't be able to see your skin tone underneath the body paint. You might see some texture, but that's what primer is for. Secondly, it'll make your skin look cakey and potentially make the paint crack. Instead of foundation, use some primer and at most concealer.

Actually, you'll want to put on some blush, contour, and eyeliner on afterwards because the body paint is so good at covering your face that you won't see any differentiation in tone and it can look a little weird. Again, pay respects to your Homestuck ancestors and watch their tutorials online.
>>
>>10908837
You keep saying bow. I'm assuming you mean the headband. Can't you just weave it through the wig's tracks so that only half of it shows and has direct contact with the helmet? I wonder if the helmet is too heavy for it though regardless. Maybe you need stronger magnets? I can't see how the snaps would be more efficient at holding it up than magnets would. They're weaker.
>>
>>10908860
>>10908861
You have as much information as we do. If you're willing to gamble your money then go for it!
>>
>>10909248
I've heard it's cheaper, but you have to factor in the inconvenience of learning to use the taobao service -- atleast in my opinion. People who use it regularly would probably disagree.
>>
>>10909218
Try looking at other suppliers like TnTCosplay, hardware stores, Michaels / Joanns with some really good coupons, etc. Other than that, nope. Just the unfortunate cost of materials these days.
>>
>>10909615
I hear you can cut foam with a cricut but it has to be a thin sheet. Maybe you could layer thin sheets? Or you could use a stencil and cut layers at a time?
>>
>>10909972
Make one! You might be the only poster for a while because this board is in hospice, but it's really nice seeing projects in progress. We've also had WIP threads in the past if you feel like casting a wider net.
>>
>>10910016
In the FAQ! In short: honeycolor and pinkyparadise
>>
File: ss-menella02-1200x675.jpg (267 KB, 1200x675)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
Any inspo or ideas for making a decent looking cat head/mask for cosplay?
I couldn't find anything, even looked through Furry and FFXIV (Hrothgar) cosplay forums and didn't really find anything close to what I'm looking for.
>>
>>10910274
Have you looked at what people do for khajiit cosplays? That's a little more realistic than furries and Elder Scrolls has a large enough fanbase that there mighht be something helpful there.
>>
>>10910208
I honestly didn't know about those. Still a pretty big price tag though from what I'm seeing.

But I did find d a fix. I bought a $40 dremel press and just set it to a shallow stop. I set it, move the foam under it, and it's working pretty well, if anyone has any similar issues.
>>
>>10910210
>>10910016
I swear, why are people still buying yearly contacts lens when the average cosplay gets worn like 3 times?
>>
>>10910210
Thank you!
>>
>>10909218
Double-check Michael's, for sure; the EVA rolls are on clearance in my area, and I managed to get some 10mm for $15 the other day. Maybe it's the same on your end?
>>
Does anyone have any good recommendations for how to properly do base makeup, specifically for being photographed?
All the good cosplay makeup I find tend to be in a language I don’t understand and I’m too retarded/boomer to find any on TikTok.
>>
>>10910482
I wouldn't say it's the go-to method for the kind of thing you're looking to do, but it's an option. The machine is a multi-use cutting tool, so people are always discovering new uses with different materials.

And yes, the price tag is big. I bought my gen 2 silhouette second hand for $60, but it's still much more expensive than most tools like a dremel. However, some libraries nowadays do have them (and 3D printers if you didn't know) available to use for free! Same with paid makerspaces which would lower the cost. In general, it's a pretty popular tool, so there was a chance that you might've had one already, but didn't know to use it in this way.

Since you don't, I think your fix is the best!
>>
>>10910512
Some people really value their eye color being accurate irl and in-photos and find it worth it. As a daily contact lens wearer who can't imagine having an even thicker, way less comfortable version sitting in my eye for hours, I simply don't understand it. But I do pass along the info to anyone who does!

>>10910573
Anytime, anon! :)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.