[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tygerrb3w24eq.jpg (127 KB, 1500x500)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>107 days until Fanime
>No vaccines but still have mask mandate in place

Did you get the hotel you wanted?
What are your cosplay plans?
How are we feeling about this year?
>>
This con is deader than shit
>>
>>10902193
Lmfao @ masks. Dead con is dead. Only ugly people still support that shit.
>>
Fanime is dead
AX way too corporate
ALA is dull
Sac is....Sac
SDCC is a normies

Whats a good CA con?
>>
the masking is especially stupid because everyone just takes off their mask the moment they exit the official con area. also dumb because guests can flaunt it and not give a fuck.

staff from the cosplay and gaming departments seem to be leaving en masse

con isn't dead, just stagnant. it's a glorified party con and in that regard it's doing great. tons of people in the park every night.
>>
Well, sad to see that the consensus on this con is that it pretty much sucks. I’ll be going for the first time this year, is there anything redeeming or is it just something to enjoy with your friend group?
>>
>>10902523
This is my first year as well and going solo. Sucks to see how dead the con is.
>>
more staff resigned from gaming and whatever the fuck "stage of stars" is. fanime apparently has jack shit for staff benefits, lol. held together by string and duct tape, and the love of certain department heads providing for their people.

also they have a vaccination requirement for staff but not attendees so that's one improvement. they still want masks.

>>10902566
>>10902523
it's basically a giant party con. it's been that way for a while. if you're looking for a con to just hang out with people or cosplay at it is great. if you are looking for guests, you're in the wrong place, because fanime's have been lackluster for quite a while. if you're solo i hope you're good at talking to people because without friends it is pretty meh.
>>
>>10902193
>still have mask mandate in place
dude not even hospitals do that shit this is literally just uglies trying to hide their ugly faces and forcing it on everybody else
>>
>>10902572
nah the hospitals over here still do it. santa clara county in particular requires everyone to at a hospital. most of the other counties are hospital staff only. for an anime con it's outdated though. everyone just takes off their mask the moment they exit the actual fanime controlled grounds lol
>>
>>10902572
hospitals absolutely still do it. stop throwing a tantrum about it or go lick a toilet seat if you want to get sick so badly
>>
>>10902568

>if you're solo i hope you're good at talking to people because without friends it is pretty meh

Rats, that is what I was fearing the most. I am not super autistic and have good enough social skills to meet people. However I do need a starting point which is the issue.

I been to Sakura con, Kawaii Kon, AX, ALA, etc for years but never Fanime.

Is there a discord or something to join? Interacting there usually is a good starting point but I have not seen a public bay area/SJ con server
>>
>>10902274
Anime Impulse is doing a ton of stuff and Anime Pasadena and Anime Riverside are looking up
>>
>>10902523
>>10902566
I'm sorry this is both of your first times and not during the apex of this cons legacy,
I'm someone who used to frequent the con for years and during the 2010's it was one of the most fun things to attend, same with ALA.

Not that you guys can't find some fun, the party element of it is still there it's just not as big as it once was and a lot of those things people will praise the con for are usually outside of it nowadays.
When I finally attended again last year I basically had to go around and seek the shit that was fun, the park rave, the outside raves and concerts which unfortunately have a cover charge and though fun were usually packed and video programming stuff which is now relegated to the 18+ area that you have to take a bus to get to miles away near the airport, etc.
There weren't that many room parties like there was before and the nightlife at the con itself is nonexistent minus some game tournaments here and there but the con isn't even 24 hours like it used to be so it's pretty much empty all the time.
And like >>10902568 said, the guests are almost zero to nothing, they used to get great bands and industry folks but nowadays there's practically nobody.
>>
>>10902629
Also they do have a discord through their official site but it's very much kind of empty which reflects the state of the event itself.
>>
>>10902568
Genesis volunteers don't even get free badges
>>
>>10902764
Impulse feels like a mall where people just go for a few hours look at stuff then leave
>>
>>10902193
Why no vaccines but masks required? Wouldn't the opposite make more sense if you required one of them?
>>
>>10902274
Anime Destiny hosted at UC Berkeley has a nice vibe to it. It's a small more intimate one I'd recommend checking out if you're looking for a single day con.
>>
>>10902764
>Anime Impulse is doing a ton of stuff
Which one, because the Pomona event sucked ass this year.
>>
File: failedbyfanime.jpg (131 KB, 1080x1080)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>10902193
So some pretty heavy con drama is happening at Fanime.

>Multiple Fanime departments have resigned due to grievances such as communication issues, operational challenges, and concerns about staff and attendee welfare. We hope that our resignation sparks a re-evaluation of operational practices. Our hope is for comprehensive reform within Fanime, focusing on improved communication, staff support, and engagement with the community.

I'm curious to see how well this con is gonna run with staff leaving in droves.
>>
>>10904622
so far the only really important division that has had people leave is gaming, and that's because the really-late-hours gaming hall (formerly 24/7) was one of the main things you could do at the con

it is hilarious how things are going overall though. i am always happy to see a good shit-flinging fest.
>>
alright, after reading the complaint site, this could easily be fixed by just having a bunch of pallets of food from costco in a room. that covers your staff meals and staff suite, and honestly, isn't that much money compared to how many tickets they're selling. shirts are cheap if you get them en masse so they should be able to do that too. free hotel rooms, while nice, are something not every con provides, especially one where hotel rooms are at a premium like fanime. maybe they could get them rooms farther away or some shit.

>There is a lack of support in enforcing COVID-19 policies such as proper masking, which undermines efforts to ensure the safety of attendees and staff.
this line in particular, get the fuck out of here. no one cares anymore. if you're not going to enforce it on everyone, including guests, then get the fuck out.
>>
there's now a war between the two sides as "factcheckedbyfanime" has been made by a fanime staffer, undoubtedly not at the behest of the higher ups
>>
>>10904745
Where did you see this?

I been searching around but I just see people debating on what to do for fanime, but looks like my first fanime is MOOT but flight and everything else has been paid for.
>>
>>10904793
The "unofficial Fanime Facebook group." Fanime will still be a good hangout con, which is honestly all it has been for many years. You don't even need a badge for that. Plenty of people just ghost outside the convention center and hang out with friends. Parties are nightly in the park as a successor to lobbycon (which got kicked out for liability purposes)
>>
>>10904793
>Where did you see this?

https://factcheckedbyfanime.com/

They got a whole website defending themselves.
>>
File: cons_fuckin_dead.jpg (228 KB, 574x953)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>10904852
So apparently the Staffer that made that site admitted the C-suites are protecting a known stalker/abuser and won't do fuckall until a new code of conduct is implemented and he does something to someone else.
I think the con's gonna die the moment the media catches wind of things.
>>
>>10904943
let's be honest, people in the bay area don't care about things unless they affect them directly. we just sweep shit under the rug or pretend it doesn't exist.

the bay area also doesn't have many conventions. fanime is the biggest one in the area. all other ones are fairly small (carriercon, offkai, anime impulse, hell even sacanime). crx was your second best bet but they figured out its easier to just piggyback off another event (read: anime expo) than have to spend all the time and effort to set up and run your own event in its entirety. when you're one of the only games in town, you enjoy a certain privilege.
>>
>>10904943
also if the cops couldn't verify the order then it's quite possible the order was a TRO that expired, if she got an order at all. from my experience, if police can't see anything when we search either party's name, there's no active restraining order. even if an order was not served it'll still show up with that note on it. the victim would have to file for a normal long term restraining order, which, if she didn't, is on her. at the very least the victim should have been able to provide her copy of the TRO to fanime but with certain parts blacked out if she didn't want to give out her address or whatever.
>>
>>10904943
>>10904985
okay i tracked down the comment thread

>I emailed the chair team with case numbers for assault and restraining orders in 2023 & have receipts to prove it.

>For clarification- It is not reports of my restraining order or assault against this staffer, but reports my lawyer found while looking into a restraining order for myself. We decided against going for a restraining order for myself because it would force me to disclose to my abuser my current address, a situation I was not comfortable with while my abuser still does not appear to have it.

lol the fuck, yeah no wonder they couldn't verify a RO because there wasn't one. did she even file a report for herself? like that's kind of the basic thing, if you didn't file a report, did you even care at all?
>>
>>10904984
From what I've heard SacAnime is now bigger than Fanime.
>>
>>10902588
>hospitals absolutely still do it
Hospitals are a private not anime cons you fucking retard
>>
>>10904943
Been thinking on this a bit between this post, some others on the facebook gronp and some stuff on x, it probably wouldn't hurt to run their staff roster through a criminal sesrch
They print the roster on their convention guides right?
anyone have last years?
>>
File: factchecking.png (25 KB, 911x285)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>10905150
That's probably not a bad idea considering this popped up on Fanime's counter website today.
I may have 2017's show guide somewhere and can start with the list of that staff and work towards the present from there.
>>
>>10905150
So I was unable to find the one I had from 2017. Probably got tossed it after my ceiling caved in last summer. Sorry anon.
>>
>>10905033
People saying Sac really shaped up and is now a better experience
>>
I've never been to Fanime, is it worth checking out still? Then there's Offkai Expo the week after
>>
>>10905372
>I've never been to Fanime, is it worth checking out still?

Not this years, no.
>>
The people behind failedbyfanime should've come out with their stories before Fanime 2023 or soon after. If these reports have been piling up for years, they should've released them before 2024 badges went on sale. Myself and a big portion of my social circle all got fucked over by failedbyfanime not going public until recently, after everyone has their rooms, badges, flights, cosplays, etc. all paid for.
>>
>>10905761
Shit happens m8. The Convention's C-suites probably did something to finally tip some of the staff's trust in the convention.
Judging by the back and forth going on between their heads of departments on some of the facebook posts it looks like some of the departments and their leadership get preferential treatment over others.
>>
>>10905761
As a normal attendee it's likely to not affect you at all, unless you're trying to get some sort of social brownie points for not going to fanime in support of the groups that left.

>>10905764
Honestly it just sounds like they're mad over perks and decided to walk out over it. The groups in question aren't mission critical and will be replaced. The new people replacing them may have some teething issues initially but by year two will probably bounce back. The only one I can kind of see being an issue is if the arcade game supplier takes his games and stays home. I'm not sure if they are his games or fanime's games.
>>
>>10905800
>if the arcade game supplier takes his games and stays home
Game Saru, Fanime's arcade cab supplier, is one of the signatures on failedbyfanime...
>>
>>10905847
Yeah, that's why I mentioned him. Don't know if they're his cabinets in perpetuity or if he was just the one to initially source them and the cabs are then fanime's.
>>
>>10905800
>Honestly it just sounds like they're mad over perks and decided to walk out over it.
Uh, have actually like read what they've been posting? Perks are part of it, but it also sounds like there's a couple sexual harassers in their middle management that have been there for like 5 years at least. I don't know if they can survive, this could be a Nebraska situation.

>>10905919
I actually asked the about that with the people tending the arcade last year because I wanted to know where they got them. It's a yearly contract with Game Saru, they said it's about 20k worth of machines give or take.
>>
>>10905372
After everything we mentioned earlier and now with all these new problems arising, honestly no.
If you do wanna go for a day to just check it out you can just to at least get a feel for it and see it for yourself but it's a shell of it's former self.
>>
>>10902523
The con is not that bad, but there aren't many guests, which is somewhat of the letdown. Nonetheless you can still entertain yourself well enough. Sometimes people her are way too negative about stuff, but that's imageboard culture for you.

>>10903410
[s]The vaccine is harder to remove than the masks.[/s]

>>10902193
Real car races would be cool because of the official theme, as unlikely as that is to happen albeit.
>>
File: justno.jpg (416 KB, 1396x921)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
Please don't file a report about fanime to the police. Whatever the fuck you just said isn't a crime they will investigate (fail to follow policies?), not to mention the police generally don't accept reports from third parties unless you want to be seen as crazy (then they will take the report, and toss it in the garbage can, because it's the easiest way to get rid of a crazy person).
>>
>>10905656
>>10906129
Thanks for the advice, I guess I might try going to Offkai if I can get a friend to go with me (I'm in LA County)
>>
>>10906744
That's an even smaller con that is way more niche. If your flight is cheap sure but I personally wouldn't travel to it unless my oshi was doing a meet and greet and i had to talk to her. it's more of an indie vtuber/small studio con, and I have no idea who will actually be back.
>>
I planned to fly in from SoCal to hit two birds with one stone and visit friends + con but since it looks like this is a bust, is SacAnime worth going to instead? I can only get credit, not a refund for plane tickets
>>
>>10907563
Sacanime is usually dub based so if you like English VAs you'll be going to the right place
>>
>>10906748
My friends' oshis are going, here's hoping I find someone I like while I'm up there
>>
Chances shit happens at the park this year?
Either by someone starting shit, or after 2 years of trashing it the city has cops stationed.
>>
>>10908547
Eh, it's hard to say. Last year a guy got kind of knocked out and park con still came back the rest of the weekend. There's always the chance of something going down when you have alcohol involved. The cops came out early one of the nights but by nighttime were gone and people partied it up again. If the city really thought it was an emergency issue they would have kept a couple guys on overtime there immediately.
>>
Have a friend that was going to staff this year but decided to quit back in march
stuff one of their execs kept saying rubbed her the wrong way because he kept calling the people that quit kids that are having a temper tantrum and just the way it was being phrased weirded her out as though there's some fucky sruff going on with the people up top.
Kinda a culty atmo.
I'll ask for some tea cause the whole comparing them to kids thing rings alarm bells to me.
>>
can enough attendees make some noise about the mask requirement so they can drop it?
>>
>>10909662
if they ain't firing people for sexual harassment on other staff with a quarter of their staff having left over is why would they listen to attendees about masks?
>>
>>10908736
wait, what the hell? I was there all three days and I didn't hear about any knockouts. Was that why there were a bunch of people making sure everyone had water?
>>
>>10907563
>>10907567
The only things at Sac-Anime are the panels, all guests, and the market floor. I've never had an issue there, but it can get a bit boring, and the guests are consistently awesome.
>>
>>10905847
>>10905919
>>10905800
I think they found someone, because the staff email showed someone in arcade. They may have contacted a previous vendor, since I remember there was someone before Game Saru.
>>
>>10905764
>>10905800
Not just perks, there's been a lot of dumb-ass infighting and budget slapfights. I remember console gaming and PC gaming had fights all the time before they were rolled into one. There's bound to be a lot of favoritism (and plain 'tism).
>>
>>10909656
Talked with her over coffee thith morning.
She's 99% sure none of the victims of the sexual harassment or assault allegations involbed kids.
Just looks real bad that an exec was repeatedly calling them kids.
Also she's still getting staff emails after quitting
anyone thinking this con is going to survive has a shock for them when they getto the gaming hall
> no stages
> no pc gaming
> no gaming tournaments
> just an arcade and a ttrpg booth in the corner
> not enough staff for those either so those might go away too
> and a ball pit front and fucking center

also their maid cafe might be in the middle of a civil war because the person in charge didn't nut up and actually take the concerns aired on facebook to the execs like she said she would on facebook
>>
>>10909779
I don't know if that was intended as a joke about how they know this con is going to fucking die. It's been held together with glue and tape, and no one comes for the guests. A lot of people stopped going and fucked off to BayCon or AX.

>>10909656
It's why I don't think a chunk of the staff simply quit over just perks. I was at one of the dead dogs and one guy got SUPER mad at me when I was discussing Anime Expo's feud with one of my friends out in the open. It also solidifies the accusations that there was blatant favoritism, too.
>>
>>10909767
Nah some guy got in a fight and got knocked out at parkcon one of the first couple nights so fire dept and ems was called to check on his dumb ass

>>10909834
Sure doesn't feel like people aren't coming. Con has still been as crowded as it ever is the last couple years. It's a straight party con and all you need to do is give them a place to be nerds on a good holiday weekend. I'd say that long weekend has been a bigger reason for success than anything. If the hotels ever stop getting instantly filled up then that'll be a sign of the end.
>>
>>10909837
More in the sense no one cares except for partying and some panels. All this drama won't really put a dent in the nerds coming and the people who do care are just going to support the smaller cons they're going to, and the capeshitters have that new comic-con in August.

I always tell newbies to go with friends, because Fanime is super boring without friends. I like Parkcon because you can actually talk to people without them getting weird.

It'd take, I don't know, McEnery burning down for Fanime to stop.
>>
>>10909844
I'm going with my partner and a friend, how friendly would you say the crowd is? We are both pretty attractive and get along well with others, but mostly looking for places it would make sense to try and socialize to get invited to parties
>>
>>10909867
Lol post a pic nigger, you're gf is probably fat and your jaw isn't that big
>>
>>10909868
I don't care if you don't believe me. For the sake of my post, let's say hypothetically a couple is attractive and easy to get along with. Where are the oppurtunities to socialize? I feel like most panels are more of a presentation and it would be rude to talk during it, and our cosplays are not typically included in gatherings.
>>
>>10909867
You'll definitely like Parkcon (if it happens this year) and the raves. Parkcon had people striking up convos with randos and free shots. If you're in cosplay, people tend to strike up more convo with you as well.

Even just hanging outside at night is great. I've never been to a Fanime room party (I've only done WorldCon back in 2017) and as far as I know, they don't usually advertise them out in the open like they do at capeshit/sci-fi/furry cons.

It's not that people are necessarily hostile outside of that, even though there's lots of horror stories. Hell, I'm wary of socializing at the con at times because of spilled spaghetti at panels, both ways.

The evening crowd tends to be a party crowd. Take that with a grain of salt, I think the last time I was there before 11AM was in 2011. :V

>>10909868
>projecting this hard
>>
File: 8mfnth.jpg (96 KB, 500x649)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>
>>10909919
at least the stages are no loss, game room programming was always a hot mess
>>
>>10909949
IDK, I liked the random Jackbox stuff.
I don't know why they won't have Guildhouse do promos. It might have something to do with Finali still working with them.
>>
File: 5ji7nm~2.jpg (160 KB, 1306x653)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
fresh stupid shit from Fanime.
ball pit was "art" and was just going to be looked at
whoever the tard wrangler at fanime is put the exec who had the idea in a headlock till they cried uncle
turns out it was an execs plan
probably meant as a fuck you to the staff that quit
>>
File: ptsd.jpg (1.09 MB, 673x2509)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
have you ever gotten PTSD at a convention?

that's a fucking essay right there, goddamn. it is literally 2000 words long.
>>
>>10910925
>i had brought with me a plushy of the marine/arctic creatures (based on a mythical creature from Scotland) of a childhood game that I grew up playing.
GOD so many words to say you had your mental health Lapras plushie.
>>
>>10910043
There is no way in hell that ball pit thing was meant as anything less than a spiteful middle finger at the people leaving them.

I wonder if any staff are leaving for Anime Expo. I know they're going to Mag-West and Baycon.
>>
>>10910925
How do people who are this frail survive their existence? Its probably scared of breathing for fucks sake.
>>
>>10910943
the bulk of people are from gaming and cosplay departments, both of which i don't think AX has a specific need for. also they're going to find that the AX machine is retarded too, but maybe with less "sexual assault"
>>
>>10910946
i've heard it's way more retarded and filled with infighting, especially more so when AX has industry contacts
>>
>>10910943
Oh it absolutely had to be a fuck you to everyone that left.
Also seems they had a pedo in charge at one point.
DESU with the way they keep shell gaming shit they're probably still on staff too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.