[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: akkoretarded.png (413 KB, 665x574)
413 KB
413 KB PNG
I'm a near-complete beginner to con culture and the "scene" due to zero exposure to it until recently and I have too many questions swimming around in my head that I need to ask. I've only been to a couple of small ones in my mostly-desolate area and I want to step up to traveling to bigger ones but I'm overwhelmed. Please bear with me.
>Do a majority of congoers cosplay? I know it's common, but is it seen as a faux pas to not cosplay?
>Likewise, is it seen as a faux pas to wear the same cosplay more than once in a multi-day event, or to not wear it some days?
>I've read a lot on this board about "after hours" events and parties that aren't scheduled by the con staff. Do you have to get invited to things like that, or how do people find out about them?
>Do cons that don't have a stated sub-demographic (ones that use terms like "fandom" or "pop culture" instead of specifically "fantasy" or "otaku" or something) tend to accept all demographics? Would you be looked at weird for going to something more "western" like SDCC in an anime cosplay, or would you expect to see a lot of them?
>Why do some huge cons like Colossal and Dragon seem to place such significance on getting a hotel room onsite as opposed to just being nearby? Surely not just traffic, right?
>What's a "gull"?
>How do you not get sick every time you go to one?
>How do you keep track of scheduling for multiple cons across multiple years? Do you get notified about them? When is "con season"?
>If you're partying, how do you deal with inevitable hangovers or crashes?
And some more personal questions
>If you cosplay, what's normally your budget? Both in terms of time and money.
>How do you make friends at a con if you're not going with a group?
>How many cons do you go to yearly or on a recurring basis? There are a fuckton I want to see but I'm not sure if my expectations are unreasonable.
Thank you for your time.
>>
>Do a majority of congoers cosplay? I know it's common, but is it seen as a faux pas to not cosplay?
No. I go to a lot of big cons and while there are a ton of cosplayers there, percentage wise most people aren’t in cosplay

>Likewise, is it seen as a faux pas to wear the same cosplay more than once in a multi-day event, or to not wear it some days?
It’s not a big deal to wear it multiple days as long as it’s not dirty/stained/stinky

>I've read a lot on this board about "after hours" events and parties that aren't scheduled by the con staff. Do you have to get invited to things like that, or how do people find out about them?
Some are invite only, some have an open door policy. Just be chill

>Do cons that don't have a stated sub-demographic (ones that use terms like "fandom" or "pop culture" instead of specifically "fantasy" or "otaku" or something) tend to accept all demographics? Would you be looked at weird for going to something more "western" like SDCC in an anime cosplay, or would you expect to see a lot of them?
Cons are becoming more and more of a catch all, especially at larger sized cons. The majority of cosplays will still be related to the main demographic, but there’ll still be plenty of variety

>Why do some huge cons like Colossal and Dragon seem to place such significance on getting a hotel room onsite as opposed to just being nearby? Surely not just traffic, right?
It’s just nicer to be in the middle of the con atmosphere the entire time. I think you definitely miss out on a lot of the con night life vibe if you aren’t on site
>>
>>10907375
>What's a "gull"?
Anyone who hangs out on this board is a 'gull'. The board is '/cgl' which -if you stretch it- could be pronounced 'seagull'. People who hang out here are 'seagulls' or 'gulls'.
>>
>>10907375

If you want to make friends at cons cosplaying will make it so much easier. Bonus points for making it yourself or at least part of it so you have something to talk about to other cosplayers.

No one cares about the cosplay as long as its clean, Mostly people that do casual or store bought cosplays will wear a new one each day, Or a cosplayer brings out their big costume for Saturday and has some older or store-bought casual ones for other days.

>How do you keep track of scheduling for multiple cons across multiple years? Do you get notified about them? When is "con season"?
Most people have a few local cons they go too and maybe a few out of state cons, the con season depends on the area in Florida its in the summer.

Cosplaying helps but talk to people and maybe have some booze at night to share if you want to get invited to parties.

I wouldn't travel far for the corporate cons run by fanexpo or reedpop. Big cons like Ax or Dragon are great.
Aside from a few big cons I tend to prefer the mid sized hotel cons, its easier to meet people and they have more going on at night generally. But you also need to make your own fun with cosplaying and drinking as there is less going on during the day.
>>
>>10907375
By eating a healthy diet, doing exercise , going out and having an average immuno system.

Seriously, do you get sick regularly when going to events? Because that is concerning.
>>
>>10907375

From the ACEN 2019 guide
>>
File: 1597278528448.jpg (40 KB, 467x433)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Damn, we don't usually get threads with this many questions in them. Will it breathe some life back, even if just for a moment? Only one way to find out
>Do a majority of congoers cosplay?
Many of your questions have the same answer: It varies. Katsucon, for example, was easily 80%+ cosplayers. If you're at one, and the turnout is low, don't expect anything special. And while it's also never expected that you dress up, you're absolutely relegated to background extra if you're there in normal clothes.
>is it seen as a faux pas to wear the same cosplay more than once?
I can't imagine so, unless you're into being "an influencer" or some dumb zoomie shit like that
>Do you have to get invited to things like that, or how do people find out about them?
Facebook, Telegram, Discord groups, this very board. At some you don't even have to look hard, you'll just hear a bunch of noise from a room with its door propped halfway open
>Do cons that don't have a stated sub-demographic tend to accept all demographics?
Maybe a few years ago but in my area, you have explicit anime conventions or implicit ones i.e. they're not advertised as that but weebs are the only one who care to show up. And while I've never done SDCC, some posts I've read suggest there isn't much cosplay presence there at all
>Why do some huge cons like Colossal and Dragon seem to place such significance on getting a hotel room onsite as opposed to just being nearby?
I'm guessing you read my post from yesterday on this. Colossal is bordering on the middle of nowhere, so it's not traffic. If you're at an event that has the convention, a waterpark and parties all in one place, you REALLY don't wanna waste time going back and forth, where to keep your things or worrying when one of your guys wants to call it a night
>>
>>10907452
An already-strong immune system never hurts.
>When is "con season"?
Once you've been to enough, you'll get more into the swing of things. And if you wanna keep an eye out for something new, there's the ever-handy animecons.com. Most of my preferred cons are in the first half of the year. This weekend, as it turns out, is one of the busiest of the year. Down-season is late summer to early fall
Same as always: stay hydrated. Not long ago, one guy I met here gave me a bunch of VERY hard cocktails but between each, insisted on a Gatorade. I felt nothing the next morning
Probably never more than $150. I just pick characters I've been eyeing for a while and wear those till I've had enough of them
In spite of what you might think, even dorks can (sometimes) intuit who is or isn't interested in hanging out / looks like they can make a fun time themselves. Also this: >>10907383
>tend to prefer the mid sized hotel cons, its easier to meet people
>How many cons do you go to yearly or on a recurring basis?
Between 2021 and 2023, I averaged 18 each. Keep in mind, that includes a bunch of shitty local ones too. Also I'm dialing it back a bit this year
>>
>>10907375
No, but a large chunk, and it makes starting conversations with randos much easier. Saying "I like your cosplay of X" to someone is an easy way to start a convo. There are also often group photoshoots for large fandoms and those can be lots of fun.

Not at all.

Yes, you get invited. You do this by befriending people at cons. Do not expect to get invited to the coolest party your first year of going. Just make friends and be nice to people, and you'll eventually find a group of people who will invite you to their events. Additionally, if you already have a couple of friends going with you and sharing a room, keeping your door open and offering a drink to anyone who pokes their head in can easily lead you to finding people who are hosting or going to parties.

You'll see less, but they still exist. A lot of anime fans hate when people wear capeshit to anime cons. I don't really care, but there are some people who are judgey. If you are interested enough in the material to go, you can probably just make a cosplay of a western piece of media to go in if you really want to cosplay.
>>
Because they are party cons and you want to be on-site to party.

>What's a "gull"?
Member of this board.

Lots of people do get sick after events all of the time. A week before the con, start taking vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea every day, and continue this for a week after the con. Drink lots of water, make sure you get at least 6 hours of sleep regardless of how late you stay up, and don't live off of ramen the entire time.

Cons tend to be around the same time each year. Once you start going, you know when they fall. A lot of cons also announce their dates for the next year at the end of the current con.

>>If you're partying, how do you deal with inevitable hangovers or crashes?
Water+sleep+advil.

I do a combination of buying and making pieces. I generally budget $300 per cosplay, but I've spent way less and I've spent more if a character has props.

Talk to cosplayers about their cosplays. Go to panels about things you like. A lot of cons have discord servers you can join where you could chat with people ahead of time.

>How many cons do you go to yearly or on a recurring basis? There are a fuckton I want to see but I'm not sure if my expectations are unreasonable.
I'm old so I don't go to many anymore (usually 1-3 a year now, as I live far away from things and have to fly to them), but at my prime I was going to 15ish a year. If you're looking for a specific kind of con experience, people will have feedback about what would be the best cons for you to attend.
>>
File: 1707420517227298.jpg (46 KB, 161x295)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
There are a lot of replies so I'm going to try to avoid (You)spamming everyone here. I really appreciate all the answers though.
>cosplay
Glad to know that I'm not going to be looking like an idiot just by throwing together a basic cosplay for my first (large) con. I'm kind of a weeaboo so I was more concerned about the opposite perception (Western fans judging Eastern media cosplays) but it's good to see that's not the case, at least not at most of the general purpose conventions I know of. I also expected budgets to be way higher, $150 for something that looks decent is a shocker.
>scheduling
It seems like it's mostly just keeping an eye out but animecons.com is exactly what I was looking for. And holy shit you weren't lying, this weekend is packed.
>getting invited
I should probably get a Facebook and Telegram then in order to actually start seeking people/groups out. I already follow a couple of cons on Instagram but that doesn't offer much from what I can see.

>>10907382
I feel retarded for not picking that up but it's hilarious, thank you.

>>10907384
>do you get sick regularly when going to events?
Yes, mainly because cons are pretty much the only time I'm around crowds as someone who works remote and doesn't get out much.

With regards to cosplay, is it more common for people to buy preproduced ones or make them from scratch? I know several sites sell dedicated cosplay gear.
>>
Also this is probably a retarded question but are "purity tests" the norm for cosplayers? To pick a basic example, if I were to wear a Starfleet uniform would people expect me to know every Trek series back and forth and would I get shit if I didn't?
>>
>>10907509
People will expect you to know something about the character you're dressed as- but not EVERYTHING about them. People who have never seen/read/played the series/movie/comic/game with the character they're dressed as get judged pretty harshly. But no one except crazy fanatics will expect you to know everything about them. And even then, they're mostly just sad that you're not as hardcore as they are.
>>
>>10907507
>Facebook
>Telegram
These are not where people are connecting lol

>Yes, mainly because cons are pretty much the only time I'm around crowds as someone who works remote and doesn't get out much.
That isn't how your immune system words, bud
>>
>>10907517
The most I've said to other cosplayers from series I like is just compliment them and ask for a photo. The mostly what's been asked of me when I have cosplayed as well.
>>
>>10907507
With regards to cosplay, is it more common for people to buy preproduced ones or make them from scratch? I know several sites sell dedicated cosplay gear.

More people buy them because its way easier. But even if you do buy yours try to make a prop or something to go along with it.
>>
>>10907561
most people buy because it's way easier and cheaper to buy some shit that China pumped out. also if you're hot that's way more important than the costume. a generic mass-produced Chinese costume on a hot girl will trump a hand-made accurate costume made with fancy materials on someone average, and hand-made with fancy materials on a hot girl trumps both obviously.
>>
>>10907526
People connect on Fetlife but that's a different con experience all together.
>>
>>10907509
>if I were to wear a Starfleet uniform
We can be friends. Also don't worry about it, people are not generally gatekeep-y.
>>
not OP
is it considered rude to take pics of guests/panelists? $50 for an autograph or picture is fucking insane
>>
>>10907526
They use telegram for furry conventions
>>
>>10907632
it's rude to take a candid picture of somebody under any circumstance. a picture specifically with somebody or to autograph something is worth whatever they think they can get out of it. if you're at a panel and take a picture, nobody's gonna come for your neck or anything, just turn your flash off
>>
>>10907526
>>10907638
What the hell is Telegram?
>>
>>10907737
Encrypted messaging app where the creeps fled to after Wickr was bought by Amazon
>>
>>10907375
No, the majority of congoers are in normie clothing.
If you have only one cosplay, expect less interactions because after someone has interacted/gotten a picture of you they won't have a reason to interact with you again.
Personal interaction. Don't expect every after-hour event to be good. Some are just thirsty nerds trying to get a con hook-up.
>Do cons that don't have a stated sub-demographic tend to accept all demographics?
Yes and no. Bigger cons accept all but smaller themed ones it's weird to go if you aren't into the sub-demographic.
>Would you be looked at weird for going to something more "western" like SDCC in an anime cosplay, or would you expect to see a lot of them?
People put a lot of work into their better cosplays and will wear them any time they get a chance. Expect less interactions, but people always appreciate a good cosplay.
Parking is an absolute mess at bigger cons. Having a room usually gets you a designated spot in the con-center connected parking garage. Plus as a cosplayer that changes costumes multiple times per day, it gives you a private place to do so.
I take Emergen-C at every con I go to. Just put your tablet in water and drink it. Haven't gotten con crud in years.
>>
>>10907789
Cont
Don't go overboard at cons. Cons are expensive to go to and have enough going on that you want to be for it as much as possible. You can have a few drinks but save getting shitfaced for time with friends.
Depends on your personal budget. Don't spend more than you have. There are some cheap cosplays that will get attention, but the bigger you go, the more you get.
Make friends in the community. I haven't been to a con where I haven't known at least a few others even if I was solo-ing.
I have a few base ones that I attend regularly and others that I do based on what events they're doing that year. Plus I have personal obligations and other responsibilities. It all depends on my budget and time available. Yours may differ.
The bigger ones you need to plan for. Smaller ones you can easily get a room/ticket up the time of the event. I participate in local cosplay events where people regularly talk about what cons they plan on attending, what was good last year, what sucked last year etc.
>>10907526
>Facebook
>Telegram
>These are not where people are connecting lol
Open facebook events is actually a great place to meet other cosplayers if you don't know anyone. Open events put less pressure on people to make friends but are more welcoming of the community as a whole.
>>
Are raves and the like common or are they only at big party cons? I'm going to a multi-day one soon that doesn't seem to have any sort of official discord or anything but it's in a reasonably big city so you'd think there'd be something at least.
>>
>>10907875
From the biggest to the smallest, any multi-day convention will have a rave. And they're almost always total
>>
>>10907876
>>10907877
Even if they do suck ass I've never gone to one before and I really wanna, I'm just nervous about there actually being one and I miss it somehow.
>>
File: 1711058201887615.png (1.09 MB, 1499x833)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
Other beginner congoer here. Not really into doing cosplay myself but I am a huge japanese speaking weeb weirdo and I like the idea that animecon/comiccon/furrycon goers are considerably more unhinged than normal people. However, the room parties and the rave at the con I went to were sort of lame. I was one of the only people just walking around the con openly sipping alcohol from my backpack. Surprised everyone wasn't, staff didn't even give a shit.

So my question is: how would I get a rave going? Like a real rave with things happening that aren't supposed to be happening. I've been fantasizing about DJing for years now but keep getting offput about how stuck up/snobbish nightclubs are in the USA and I feel like cons could be way more fun if there were a DJ that were willing to play nightcore/happy hardcore/internetcore in a smaller venue like someone's room and perhaps someone could provide other substances besides alcohol. I'm considering just getting some shitty DJ equipment and a PA and trying to ape someone's room party, with their permission of course. Even if the events I attended were a little lame, the people seemed chill.

Anyone think this would work? My ego could probably handle failing this at least a few times/a few cons before I give up. Or alternatively, does this actually happen? Is there a con that would serve as good study material?
>>
>>10907878
Well you're probably safe in that regard at least. Also for what it's worth, AYRT and I was at an awesome weeb rave just this last weekend, but it wasn't on site. The problem with official con raves seems to be too much space and DJs who don't play to their audience
>>
>>10908237
How'd you find it? I would kill to go to a weeb rave.
>>
>>10908244
Posters on the street. Off-site stuff is becoming more and more common these days
>>
>>10908244
if your con is known for being a party con, you're likely to find it just out in the streets after a certain. Fanime has a park across the street from the center where you're likely to find groups partying once the con itself closes for the evening
>>
>>10908355
what are examples of party cons? (so i can avoid)
>>
>>10908482
lolfag
>>
>>10908482
what a loser
>>
i last went to a con in like 2009 so things may have changed. going to a con in 2 months from now.

My experience: In America yes, in Sweden no.. Nowadays it is so much easier to buy a cosplay tho, in the past we had nothing like Temu and Walmart selling $20 cosplay outfits.
>After hours
In my experience these are sex and drug parties. If your con has a rave or anything similar, people will just walk up and invite you. I wouldn't go, for various reasons. Parties used to get advertised on 4ch but not anymore I guess.
>sub-demographic
You'll always be weird if you dress up as the Simpsons when going to an anime con. But no one is going to kick you out. Also the majority of Japanese people see western cartoons and anime as the same thing.
>Onsite hotel rooms
I work at a hotel. If the con has a deal with the local hotel, it can mean the con staff get rooms for free or cheap and the hotel workers get free con tickets. In return the con brings massive business to the hotel in what is usually the off-season where the hotel is suffering. The guests of the event have no clue about these secret deals.
>How do you not get sick?
Don't eat junk food, soda, etc. Bring earplugs and sleeping pills. Fastest way to feel like crap is to fill your body with crap then not sleep. Don't share a room with someone who snores.
$100-$200 for just the costume. Then another $100-$300 for the travel, hotel, souvenirs, etc. I try to carpoor, roomshare, bring own food, only do costumes where I can reuse the parts as normal clothes, then it's not such a waste of money. Time-wise, I usually end up throwing everything together within 3 months as I never know if I am actually going to get to go or not.
>How do you make friends?
Literally just go up and talk to people. Hand out your Email after you have a chat.
>>
>>10908505
One thing to know: At the bigger cons, there are a lot of foreign tourists who came just for the convention and they basically don't speak any English whatsoever. This is especially true with Asian visitors including the Japanese ones. They often feel lonely and just walk around silently. So don't be afraid to try talking to them even if it's through stuff like hand gestures, it often really makes their day. (Make sure the person you do this with is not a bigwig con guest or something). I've had several times where I said something like "Are you from Prince of Tennis?" and the person completely ignored me, and I thought they were rude until I realized they had no clue what I said.

If you want to eat at a restaurant, make a reservation and a plan then a backup plan. Most places will be either full or closed by the time you get around to eating.
>>
The best plan is a loose plan, just go with the flow. Let the liquor do the thinking.
>>
>>10908517
I've suggested this before, even from the practical view that you're almost guaranteed to have plans interrupted / ruined. That got roasted immediately and it didn't make sense until I remembered what site I'm on
>>
>>10907375
Different anon but would it be better to get dressed in cosplay at the venue or at home and drive there?
>>
>>10908667
Unless you have a room you can change in at the con, do it at home. Maybe just save the more delicate parts for once you park and get out of the car so they don't break while you sit on them driving
>>
>>10908520
Yeah.
You should go in with zero expectations. Flip through the guide pick out a few events you wouldnt mind hitting. Take a pull of liquor then explore.
>>
1/2. Assuming you're a male/zoomer tourist with how these questions are written.

>>10907375
>I'm a near-complete beginner to con culture and the "scene" due to zero exposure to it until recently
You missed out on the golden years, but you can still probably have fun before cons become complete corporate, cosmodeling/OF shilling, and coomer infested shitholes.

Not anymore. It used to be that maybe 40-60% (60 being pretty high and not as common, but happened) of a cons population cosplayed or closet cosplayed *because* it was the only place to meet people like you and do those kinds of things. Now it's probably less than 10% at most cons and even then, of that 10% it's Aliexpress bought or onlyfans style models. Not as common to see people cosplaying for fun, either, mostly fotm that gets cycled though constantly.

No, this used to be normal before cosmodeling became the defacto way to cosplay. If you spend months working on something by hand, of course you'll wear it more than once.

Know the right people, stumble into a group who thinks you're chill or cool.

>Do cons that don't have a stated sub-demographic (ones that use terms like "fandom" or "pop culture" instead of specifically "fantasy" or "otaku" or something) tend to accept all demographics?
Weird question, but I'm assuming you're a socially inept moid with no experience. What's the demographic of the media? Then that's probably the demographic of the con. Use your common sense. Look at the guests and what media they're promoting. If it really is just a catch all con then obviously yes.
>>
2/3 actually, cause these are pretty open ended questions.

>>10907375
>Would you be looked at weird for going to something more "western" like SDCC in an anime cosplay?
Anime is nearly ubiquitous at that point. Maybe 15-20 years ago, but at this point? No one cares.

>Why do some huge cons like Colossal and Dragon seem to place such significance on getting a hotel room onsite as opposed to just being nearby?
Because they're fucking popular host hotels. You really think some drunk retard wants to get an Uber instead of just going back up to their room? You really think a cosplayer with huge armor wants to lug that shit to and from the con all day?

>What's a "gull"?
Seagull.

Sometimes you just get sick.

>How do you keep track of scheduling for multiple cons across multiple years? Do you get notified about them?
How do you learn about any huge, promoted event? You think cons put all that money into the event just to not advertise? You think nerds who have a place to "be themselves" aren't going to spread it by word of mouth? Nowadays we have social media as a huge source of information, and even discord groups. Pick your poison.

How would you do that in any other situation? Or at all? Drink water, hydrate with electrolytes. Duh.

Depends on the cosplay and how much I want to put into it. I definitely don't put in as much now as 10-15 years ago despite having more money. Cosplay, unlike a fashion like Lolita, fluctuates since making a costume is dependant on materials. And you don't always go to the same type or number of cons every year, so that changes as well. Your budget is whatever you want to allocate, there's no real average.
>>
3/3 finally made it

>>10907375
Not be an autistic retard, so you're probably not going to make it (joking, mostly). The current con scene is no longer suited for autists making friends, but at least if you make impressive cosplays you have a chance that people come up to you to ask for pictures and you can chat them up that way. So if you want to make friends, cosplay from a piece of media you like and people who enjoy that media will probably come up to you and ask about it. This is what cosplay used to embody for a lot of people, just a fun was to broadcast your love for a particular series.

>How many cons do you go to yearly or on a recurring basis?
Personally? Used to be 4-5 average, and maybe 8-12 at my height, but now it's 0-2 a year max. I only really budget for the biggest ones anymore because that's when all my friends get time to go. If you can budget for more or want to experience more, the only thing realistically stopping you is money.

>>10908220
An independent weeb rave event would be kino but finding "artists" and musicians would be hard, I think. A small one just where you dj could be cool but I wouldn't expect a ton of people. Shit, I'd go. Sounds fun. Most raves at cons are kind of shit now, they used to be a ton of fun because ravers/Kandi kids/PLUR types actually went to them (and ravers are an endangered species in current year). Now it's just a bunch of people who have never been to a rave trying to put on a semblance of one for a bunch of socially inept or introverted people. So yeah, anything would be better.

>>10908520
Most people don't want "teehee I'm so DRUNK xD" retards who use the con to facilitate their substance abuse around them and find it annoying. I'm not talking about just have a little to loosen up, but there was a period where people would come to cons just to get shitfaced and cause problems and your "advice" might have come off similarly.
>>
>>10908682
>Most people don't want "teehee I'm so DRUNK xD" retards who use the con to facilitate their substance abuse around them and find it annoying. I'm not talking about just have a little to loosen up, but there was a period where people would come to cons just to get shitfaced and cause problems and your "advice" might have come off similarly.
Well said
Pace yourself people. By the time 4am hits you can be pretty drunk and pass out in your room, but no one likes that early in the day, not to mention you'll miss out on cool shit. I'm a seasoned drunk.
>>
>>10908682
>A small one just where you dj could be cool but I wouldn't expect a ton of people
I'm thinking a room party and 5-15 people who actually stay for a while sounds ideal to me. I fucking hate it when there's great music on but no room to dance and you have a bunch of meanies giving you weird looks for bobbing your head a bit.
>Now it's just a bunch of people who have never been to a rave trying to put on a semblance of one for a bunch of socially inept or introverted people
In all fairness I've never been to a rave, but I've had some great mosh pit experiences and been to a few good concerts and I think I have a decent idea of what I would like to see. Classic rave music is my #1 genre that I get drunk to alone at night for the last 4 or 5 years and my main goal is to just share that experience. All I need are a handful of attendees who are fun and down to let loose.
>finding "artists" and musicians would be hard, I think
Seems like the easy part to me, actually. Musicians are desperate as hell even if they're flaky. I want to do the bulk of the DJing anyway. The hardest part actually seems like [spoiler]getting drugs to everyone without someone getting triggered[/spoiler]

Glad to hear someone might be interested in this anyway, thanks. Planning on actually dropping some cash on some beginner DJ equipment and practicing, then finding some musicians to split cost of a party room with
>>
>>10908696
No one is going to get "triggered" because you offered them molly
>>
>>10908696
>getting drugs to everyone without someone getting triggered
I feel like taking some shit your weeaboo DJ offered you is probably an easy way to get fucked over
>>
>>10908711
MDMA is a lot better now than it was 10 years ago. Seems like way less nbome, 2ci, and other RCs. I know checkpoint upped their pressie game big time. Sucks I'm on brain meds now because I used to live rolling.
>>
>>10908707
Absolutely do not offer anyone at any con anything besides maybe alcohol. You've no idea how these people will react or if they're on medicine that will interact, and the average congoers is already in the 99th percentile of being a fucking retard. At least if they drink too much you don't have to worry about the law and idiots screeching.

It's just not worth it. Don't trust con people farther than you can throw them. It doesn't matter if you consider X a friend or "helped them out" in a situation, the second the roles reverse they'll fly the coop. Actual worthwhile friends met through conventions are a rarity, most are just con acquaintances who will never put the kind of effort in that you will.

Also, I'd never accept anything from a con rando. These people don't test their shit.
>>
>>10908673
Thank you. I will just have to deal with embarrassment at my parents home when leaving for the con because I'm too cheap for a hotel for that.
>>
>>10908727
listen it'll be fine. you haven't truly enjoyed cosplay yet if you've not yet stopped for gas or went shopping for con supplies in full outfit
>>
>>10908713
You can hand out herb. People will smoke if you offer and they smoke. I'm surprised at the amount that don't same with drinks. I usually always have individually packed shooters with me that I hand out and I'm surprised how many people say no. They're polite about it, and it's fine I just figure more people are there trying to get fucked up.
>>
>>10908696
>A small one just where you dj could be cool but I wouldn't expect a ton of people
>I'm thinking a room party and 5-15 people who actually stay for a while sounds ideal to me.
Yeah that would be a cute little shindig with some buds, but I don't know if it would work to advertise it that way.

>In all fairness I've never been to a rave, but I've had some great mosh pit experiences and been to a few good concerts and I think I have a decent idea of what I would like to see.
No offense, but why are you interested in throwing a rave when you've never been to one? Mosh pits and concerts are much different experiences, raves are much more social compared to both of those and have less dancing and more hanging out and moving to the music. Imagine if someone said, "I've never been to an anime convention but I like anime and I've gone to anime speed dating events so I think I should host one. We won't need many guests, I can host all the panels myself." Would you go to that con?

>my main goal is to just share that experience. All I need are a handful of attendees who are fun and down to let loose.
So you more want to vibe with a handful of people who like electronic/trance music?

>Seems like the easy part to me, actually. Musicians are desperate as hell even if they're flaky. I want to do the bulk of the DJing anyway.
A rave with only one dj with no experience and questionable sounds lame as fuck.

>The hardest part actually seems like [spoiler]getting drugs to everyone without someone getting triggered[/spoiler]
This isn't a good idea. You better have a test kit for all your shit, and when someone reacts badly because they're on SSRIs, it's on you. This isn't what a dj does, you're not supposed to be the druglord for the event you dj. And it's telling that someone "getting triggered" is your worry and not someone getting serotonin syndrome.

Doing this with your friends and friends of friends, sure. But I wouldn't do all this with a ton of people.
>>
>>10908740
Serotonin syndrome is a myth I believe
>>
>>10908713
>>10908734
I'm getting mixed messages here. Perhaps I just have an ungodly amount of beer on hand that I can give people and just save drugs for myself and highly trusted people. Also not talking about weed, not a fan of the stuff myself. I've just been to so many lame "raves" and concerts where the entire audience is just filming the artist with their phones and there's like one guy dancing. I'm not sure if there's really any solution besides drugs. I'm down to do this at a furrycon as well, maybe people would be more willing to dance if their faces are covered? Hell I'd get a fursuit.
>>10908740
>No offense, but why are you interested in throwing a rave when you've never been to one?
None taken, legit question. I'm technically a zoomer and I'm not really from the rave generation. It's just that I've seen videos of raves from the 2000s where everyone is jumping up and down and clearly tripping on something, no one's judging each other, no phones, just in a state of flow. And as loser-ish as it is, some of my best memories are just banging my head to 2000s EDM/nightcore/happy hardcore while shitfaced and not at an actual show. Everytime I've tried dancing at a club, you just get disgusted looks and macho assholes thinking you're fighting with them. While metal shows and even synthwave shows are mostly fellow nerdy dudes who just want to dance, and I've had a lot of fun at those. I just want to have that experience with weeb rave music.
>A rave with only one dj with no experience and questionable sounds lame as fuck.
Maybe, but I gotta start somewhere. Either throw a shit party in a hotel with no consequences, or beg a venue for a slot, get one, it's shit, and get blacklisted from that venue forever.
>you're not supposed to be the druglord for the event
Even so, I find it hard to believe that the best DJs don't at least verify somehow that drugs will be there. Most crowds don't just start hugging sober. I heard Freddy Mercury had dealers tour with him.
>>
>>10908774
I mean if your looking to push at a con that's not a bad idea. Just fuckin be cool. Scope people.out and make sure they won't narc on you. I wish people would offer me blow at cons I would buy some at custied up prices too.
>>
>>10908745
I don't wanna take any chances. Last time I took mahl after I've been on brain pills the next day I was like having tunnel vision, vomiting, and felt like I was gonna pass out. Could have been from all the booze but I ain't looking to find out. I'll stick with blow.
>>
>>10908781
I was pretty "deep" in the jamband scene and it's identical to the rave scene, in minecraft. You can start a production company put on raves then sell whatever at them. Then you take the money you made from selling whatever and count that as ticket sales. It's all clean then.
>>
Not the OP but I also do have a similar question: Do you guys go up to couples cosplaying or a woman cosplaying while her bf is standing around and ask them for pictures? Is it awkward and shit?
>>
>>10908796
I'm too shy to ask for for pics but I had women ask for pics of me when I went with my girlfriend in the past.
>>
>>10908774
Every post you make it is very obvious that any event you plan will fail. Drinking alone at home and banging your head to music is as unrelated to planning a party as it is to riding a horse. Please learn to walk before you run. Go to cons, make friends, connect with people involved in them, learn the vibe of each con, and then host an event.

95%+ of con parties don't have anything more intense than beer and weed. Anyone who wants to do harder shit is doing it with friends, not around strangers.
>>
>>10908808
>any event you plan will fail
Bit of a strong statement, sounds like you want that.
>>
>>10908782
Shit man I wouldn't trust no one for nothing, there's so much fent floating around that a random giving you stuff is not the kind of gamble I want to take
>>
>>10908808
You ever heard of the Grateful Dead? They filled 60k stadiums with people doing drugs with strangers that were usually bought or given to them by strangers.
>>10908816
No one besides cops is putting fent in blow. If I drop dead from that then I am a victim of the states unjust war of drugs. That is a price I'm willing to pay.
>>
>>10908774
>None taken, legit question. I'm technically a zoomer and I'm not really from the rave generation. It's just that I've seen videos of raves from the 2000s where everyone is jumping up and down and clearly tripping on something, no one's judging each other, no phones, just in a state of flow. Gotcha, that makes sense. [...] I just want to have that experience with weeb rave music.
Okay, that makes sense, thanks for answering. That's an admirable goal.

>Maybe, but I gotta start somewhere. Either throw a shit party in a hotel with no consequences, or beg a venue for a slot, get one, it's shit, and get blacklisted from that venue forever.
Yeah but what I'm saying is you really don't want to do an event and call it a rave, because there's expectations associated with that word. It would be like putting in a lace monster dress and calling it Lolita fashion, you know? Either way, sounds like you just wanna have a good homebrewed time! So I say go for it (with reservations).

>Even so, I find it hard to believe that the best DJs don't at least verify somehow that drugs will be there. Most crowds don't just start hugging sober. I heard Freddy Mercury had dealers tour with him.
Yes, but you're not Freddy Mercury... I think doing this with a few friends would be great but I don't think this kind of idea works with a bunch of strangers, you know?
>>
>>10908796
>Not the OP but I also do have a similar question: Do you guys go up to couples cosplaying or a woman cosplaying while her bf is standing around and ask them for pictures?
Yes, frequently.
>Is it awkward and shit?
Not in the slightest, especially if you're not being a creep about it. Asking for a picture is extremely flattering to most people. Cosplay is an art form and people put effort into them (usually) so having that effort noticed feels great. Tips:
>always ALWAYS ask first if you have the ability to do so and the subject isn't already presenting themselves (i.e., they're doing literally anything that isn't posing)
>have your phone (or camera if you're a richfag) ready so they don't have to watch you awkwardly fumble through a password or something
>don't talk to someone from behind, walk around to their side/in front of them first so they can see you and hear you better, no jumpscares
>"Excuse me, I like/love your cosplay, may I get a pic?" or if you know the character name, "Hey Reimu/Saber/Snake/etc, can I get a pic?" will work 99% of the time
>smile, look happy to see them
>if they have someone not in cosplay who wants to be in the pic too, or is confused about whether they can be, default to "yes" or "sure"
>give them time to pose if they want to
>if anyone involved says they would rather not be photographed then you respect that and do not take a picture, simple as
You will never make anyone unhappy or uncomfortable this way.
>>
>>10908833
>>10908798
thanks, appreciate the info!
>>
>>10908809
I don't, but I'm being realistic.

>>10908825
Yes, and they've been doing their thing for almost 60 years, have millions of fans, and entire teams to organize things and ensure their shows go well. You have never done this, have zero connections at cons, and are seemingly a one man operation. Do you not see the difference?
>>
>>10908989
Dude I know people that put on jam band shows it's the same thing. Rent a venue, hire a band/dj, then sell tickets. It's that easy. You just have to promote it with flyers and on social media. Tons of people each day put on small music production shows.
>>
>>10908993
And plenty of those shows fail entirely. Lots of people lose money when they put on local shows. Many shows have zero or very low turn out. And those people aren't booking shows when they've never been to one before. They've already been in the scene, going to shows, making connections with other artists or venues, etc.

But no, you're right, of course. It will be a perfect event where everyone is off their tits on molly and headbanging to EDM and on their knees praising you as the rave god that they've been waiting for for years to book a hotel room and set up some speakers.
>>
>>10909007
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.
>>
>>10909007
>dude you your plans might not turn out perfectly therefore you should kys
Did someone bully you out of trying anything new when you were young anon?
>>
Bring money with you to a con, my budget is normally $10,000 to $15,000.
>>
>>10909106
Jesus Christ what are you buying?
>>
>>10909009
>>10909105
I think that anon has a point in that our wannabe DJ's expectations are overinflated and he would have a much better time throwing a good room party in a suite as opposed to trying to set up some sort of major rave, especially as a beginner. He's definitely a bit too cynical but there's wisdom there.
I can relate as someone who's always wanted to go to a rave but never had the chance, but you need to learn to walk before you can run. A big party like the one you're dreaming of requires money, effort, and connections.
>>
>>10909112
Women
>>
>>10909132
Like prostitutes? There's prostitutes at cons?
>>
>>10909126
I don't think I'm too cynical. This person has barely been to cons, never been to a rave, and doesn't have enough friends or connections to ask any of these questions to anyone but a Tibetan knitting forum. They're saying they want to DJ a "rave" for 5-15 people in a hotel room. Would you go to a stranger's hotel room to hang out with a dozen strangers you don't know while someone is "DJing" instead of your own hotel to hang out with your friends and drink while you put a playlist on?
>>
I suggest practicing sex with burro, women like experienced
>>
>>10909182
>Would you go to a stranger's hotel room to hang out with a dozen strangers you don't know while someone is "DJing"
Yes, yes I would.
>>
>>10909250
Yahsame. I've done it before, and likely will again
>>
How do you cut loose and party at cons without worrying about getting your wallet stolen or your shit spiked?
>>
>>10909576
refrain from inhibiting your mental facilities
>>
>>10909576
I'm poor and am a big guy.
>>
>>10909576
Party with friends you trust my dude, doesn’t take a rocket scientist. If your friend is slipping in your drinks, he ain’t a friend.
>>
>>10907375
How revealing do most cons allow outfits to be? I don’t want to be X-rated or anything. Especially in the presence of minors. My outfit involves a bikini underneath my clothes so I’m just wondering in case it’s visible.
>>
>>10909182
>go to a stranger's hotel room to hang out with a dozen strangers you don't know while someone is "DJing"
Have you not?
>>
>>10909132
are there actually cosplay escorts?
>>
>>10909652
With that kind of money yeah
>>
>>10909648
The moralfag police will execute you
>>
>>10909654
Where do you find them?
>>
>>10909648
Quite revealing, bikinis are allowed.
>>
>>10909648
Most cons allow anything that's "as revealing as swimwear". Standard rwo-piece bikini would be okay, but anything with a G-string or a very revealing top might get you escorted back to your room and asked to change.
>>
>>10909697
That's crazy. I would get a boner instantly if I saw any cosplays like that.
>>
>>10909699
pretty sure there are lots of horny cons in the US
>>
>>10909699
I see at least one girl like this at even the smallest cons around.
>>
>>10909718
Such as?
>>
>>10909728
The con that might still be having its ads run here despite being over, TsumiCon in Vegas. The three Ecchi Expos in Texas and Colorado. KirbiiCon in Fort Lauderdale. Akeome Con (formerly Ahegaocon) in Minneapolis
>>
>>10909725
>>10909729
I need to go to those
>>
>>10909728
Colossalcons also have many swimsuit cosplays
>>
File: file.png (2.41 MB, 960x1280)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>10909737
I considered listing CC in there and it's my favorite con(s) of all...but it's not because of the swimsuit cosplayers
>>
>>10909737
>>10909739
If you could only choose one, Colossal or Dragon?
>>
>>10909739
What could be better than swimsuit cosplays?
>>
>>10909746
Bunnysuit cosplays.
>>
>>10909750
>Bunnysuit cosplays.
>>
>>10909752
Buns are peak. The 2023 chinese year of the rabbit gave us so much.
>>
>>10907375
>>10907377
I generally agree with 'large cons becoming catch alls', but some big cons are doing the opposite. Fanime used to be a catch-all con, then SDCC really took off. There used to be tons of capeshit and even book stuff. One guy showed up as Death of Rats from Discworld for a while.
>>
>>10909743
I can't say in fairness because I've only attended Colossal. But in spite of Dragon being spread across four hotels, I do at least know what downtown Atlanta feels like and it's not as distinct as the outskirts of an already small Ohio town. Dragon's also known for being the ultimate boomer con (in a good way) and CC is extremely skewed towards millennials so I say it's gonna get the same reputation in due time
>>10909746
If you're just going by promo pictures you might think that. To answer your question more directly though, last year I went to one room that had skinny dipping in the hot tub
>>
>>10907375
I’m wearing lolita fashion to my first ever con. Will people, especially guys, approach me if I’m in lolita or will they think it’s too childish? Should I cosplay instead? I want to meet both genders but I’m really hoping to find a cool guy to talk to..
>>
>>10910097
>too childish
I don't approach lolitas because I have autism, I'm afraid of women, and this board says all of you are crazy and hate men.
>>
>>10909790
>To answer your question more directly though, last year I went to one room that had skinny dipping in the hot tub
Wrong thread buddy
>>10873579
>>
>>10910101
Ayrt. I have autism too :’) I don’t hate anyone I just want friends
>>
>>10910117
Well you sound nice, and I feel ya about wanting friends, I'm not sure if I would have the courage to approach you regardless, so I would say just have fun.
>>
>>10910101
lolitas that act like that only feel empowered to act like that online. irl most lolitas are fairly neutral towards men who aren't acting like psychos
>>
>>10910148
I don't think you can fault anyone for coming to that conclusion after scrolling past posts like "We get really angry when men approach us and show any level of interest or knowledge in our hobby." That's almost verbatim, and I link it directly if I could remember where it was said
>>
>>10910148
I get that. I'm more of an asshole here than IRL. But I just don't want women to think I'm a disgusting creep if I compliment their coord.
>>
>>10910097
I don't think the issue is appearing childish. It's just easier to approach and make conversation with a stranger if they're dressed as a character you recognize
>>
>>10910149
>>10910152
yeah nah i get it, i just hope it's reassuring to know lots of girls are way more normal than CGL would have you believe. your best bet is conventions and other mixed events, since randos showing up to lolita specific meets can come off as weird. other than that, just be polite: "i really like your outfit" or "excuse me, your coordinate is really cute". be specific if you can, and focus on the hairstyle, makeup, and outfit instead of her physical traits. this puts focus on the hobby and makes you less likely to come off as objectifying (a lot of women prefer complements that focus on things that have direct control over). don't ask for pictures. if she seems uncomfortable, politely excuse yourself-- backing off when the vibe is off makes you more approachable. if she's receptive, ask questions and show interest until you find some common ground to sperg over.

most lolitas are just autistic nerd girls in frills who may be a little paranoid about fetishism, so the secret to befriending lolitas as a male mostly hinges on being cool and giving her as much agency in the conversation as possible. even if the first lolita you approach doesn't end up wanting to talk, others will notice your good manners and may be more receptive.

tldr: be chill, focus on her hobbies, look for shared interests, and give space as needed. you'll do great.
>>
>>10910404
>tldr: be chill, focus on her hobbies, look for shared interests, and give space as needed. you'll do great.
I can do that, its what I do when I meet new people generally. Maybe I'll work up the guts to talk to some of them if I think their outfit is cool or were in line for a panel next to each other.
>>
Is there a way to tell if vendors are actually making their items and arent just reselling shitty amazon merch?
>>
>>10910412
good luck nonna! i hope you make plenty of new friends.
>>
File: _Orig__57514.jpg (139 KB, 1201x1201)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>10910419
Are they in vendor hall? They're selling Amazon or AliExpress stuff at a huge markup, if not outright fakes. Are they an artist alley? They aren't...presumably.

Pic extremely related. Saw this for sale at my last con, shitbags wanted $100. Checked online with the exact specifications and found it for $30
>>
>>10907375
Trust me and don't go. Cons were never good and stopped being interesting in 2005.
>>
>>10910609
This. SO MUCH THIS. It's SO over, bros. It has NEVER been more over than this. It will be MORE over than this with every passing second *though*
>>
>>10910621
It gets like that with anything. Any band, any movie series, any "scene". Never gets as good as it was.
To quote Robert Frost
"Nothing gold ever stays"
>>
Where can I buy a custom wig? Specifically a Yotsuba wig.
>>
Where can I find people cosplaying Madoka?
>>
File: 20240413_131314.jpg (2.78 MB, 2846x3842)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>10910636
I met one at Huntsville Expo this past weekend actually, in the cosplay contest signups. She was super chill.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.