[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1689573243621166.jpg (440 KB, 1000x1001)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
Is it normal for people to ask for pictures and immediately leave after?
Or is this another Switzerland specialty where everybody hates socializing?
OR is it because I'm male?
How do you even make friends at a con?

I went to a convention as Chainsaw Man last October and while over 20 people asked me for a pic, nobody actually stuck around or even made an attempt at small talk. I was hoping to meet people.

There's another convention coming up next month and I'm not sure if I wanna go get photographed and go back home all alone with no new contacts or friends again.
>>
That's what I usually do. It's because:
-I usually don't want to take up too much of their time in case they want to look around to buy things or go to panels or meet their celebrities, etc.
-There are other people waiting to take their pic
-They're with their friends who want to go to other places
-I'm shy as fuck
>>
This one always gets me. I usually make some quick chat about the fandom, where’d they come from, know any parties going on later? And then I dip cause I don’t want to be overbearing or keep them from anything. If they wanna keep hanging and chatting though then I’ll game if they seem like someone I’d like to hang with.

Any femanons have advice on where the line is between overbearing or not?
>>
I'm 30s female, went to cons just a few years ago.

The problem with anime cons is that a lot of people are shy or socially awkward. Like another anon mentioned when I'm talking to someone I don't know I don't want to take up too much of their time.

It's completely normal for people to take pictures, say their thanks, say their goodbyes and leave. You might exchange contact information before leaving though.

Sometimes when the person I took pics of on day 1 sees me on day 2 they might come up to me and talk or ask to go do something together.

Small talk doesn't make people hang around you for long. A lot of con people aren't interested in small talk. Talking about their cosplay, or about an anime that's playing, or about the subject of a workshop is what usually works for me.

Example: I was attending a free worbla workshop and got to chatting with the guy next to me about star trek. He wanted to make a bat-leth (or however you spell that). We had good conversational energy so we exchanged contact info.

This other time I met a pair of women in their early 20s who wanted to rope me into the tiger and bunny fandom. They were really enthusiastic and we had a great time talking so they invited me to go drinking with them. We eventually walked back to the hotel together late at night giggling our asses off and exchanged contact info before going to sleep.

I was talking to a cosplayer about her cosplay after taking pictures, and she invited me to have lunch with her and what turned out to be a pre existing friend group. They were planning what to do after lunch and invited me along. I spent the rest of the day with them and got their contact info.

I think being female helps with talking to strangers at cons. Nobody suspects me of approaching someone for sexual reasons.
I try to talk to both men and women.
>>
>>10908990
Yeah that's usually how it goes, people like your cosplay and just want a photo. Your cosplay was probably pretty good btw if 20+ people asked.

If you want new contacts/friends, I suggest you go the fandom meets. If you're cosplaying Chainsaw Man again, go to the CSM meet-up. There's usually group photo opportunities and times in between for chat.
>>
>>10908990
I usually match energy levels.

>ask for pic
>yeah sure! who's your fav character from {fandom they're cosplaying}?
>start talking about fandom
vs

>ask for pic
>they nod without saying anything
>take pic, say thanks and walk away
>>
File: file.png (621 KB, 592x492)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
>>10908990
very often, I'm seeing impressive cosplayers I want to take pictures of/with while i'm on my way somewhere. It's one thing to be a specific meetup and chat with people and another to flag down a king harkinian cosplayer while they're on the crosswalk, pic related
I guess mostly I don't want to take up too much of their time or don't have much time myself. I'll take your plight into consideration and try to converse more this year
>>
>>10909000
So asking around for parties is cool?
>>
>>10909113
Context is everything. You can already gauge the party types more easily just by waiting till after dark, since many of the normalfags have already called it a day. I wouldn't be so direct, and also keep in mind that an adjoined / neighboring hotel is critical. If not, there probably aren't parties happening at all. Not good ones, anyway
>>
>>10909120
If there's an adjoined hotel can I assume there will be parties?
>>
>>10909122
It's all but guaranteed...unless you're at one with a reputation for itself. In that case, it's 100% certain
>>
>>10908990
>Be a human
>Be in a shared human space
>Other humans briefly interact with you, a human, for human reasons
>Humans go on their way being human and not imposing on other humans

>"BRO WTF!?"

I mean why are you expecting otherwise?
Do you stop and chat to a bus driver, or a check-out clerk? Have a heart to heart, or are you just making small talk and getting on with your business?

Do people try and befriend the Mickey Mouse at Disneyland?

Attend the events around the conventions. Karaoke nights, quizzes, parties, whatever.
Also get better at talking to people.
>>
>>10909150
The average con goer isn't gonna talk to you for very long, whether it's cause they're busy or a nervous tismo, I'll give you that. But on the other hand...
>Do people try and befriend the Mickey Mouse at Disneyland?
This gives me the impression you think conventions aren't places for socializing (and I'll gladly admit if I'm wrong). If that is the case, though, I'm gonna have to hard disagree. You can get an insular yet public experience almost anywhere
>>
>>10908990
Literally me... Who did you cosplay as?
>>
>>10908990
Literally just get a couple drinks in you, go to a panel, dance, whatever & make small talk with the attendees. If you heard about a party somewhere mention it to them and say maybe you'll see them there. If you haven't, ask if they know of anything going on. It's also easiest to fall in with people doing cosplays from either the same franchise or similar sphere as you.

I would also suggest joining a few discords related to the con prior to it happening. Don't rely on other anons or chl threads, that's a recipe for disaster.

NOTE: This is easiest to do if you practice good hygiene and have at least one other person with you. Going it solo at a con is difficult so bring at least one person if you can. If you can't, try what I mentioned regardless.
>>
>>10908990
It’s important to quiz them to test their knowledge. If they don’t know the answers, just spit at them or laugh at them and berate them.
>>
>>10909123
Sweet, I'm going to a smallish con soon but it's at a hotel so I'm gonna get my hopes up.
>>
>>10909194
I just did my first con solo and had a great time, also I met up with people /here/ and also had a great time.
>>
>>10909150
This was typed by a woman who lewd cosplays for money.
Cosplay is fun and for meeting people.
>>
>>10909246
Anon is saying that in their opinion certain other events are better for longer conversation. You can still wear your cosplay to those, it could be a conversation starter.

And I agree that you shouldn't impose too much/too long on cosplayers whilst pics are being taken. You can talk to them but don't try to get into long conversations if they seem too busy or seem like they're not interested.
>>
>>10909253
>And I agree that you shouldn't impose too much/too long on cosplayers whilst pics are being taken. You can talk to them but don't try to get into long conversations if they seem too busy or seem like they're not interested.
Agreed but that's anyone. If someone is visibly busy it might not be the best time to talk to them. Other than that feel free to talk to people. If they have to leave they'll say.
>>
>>10908990
i ask for pictures of people all the time and just leave after, and i expect the same when people ask of pictures of me.

as for how to make friends- i walk up and ask for a picture. depending on how they react i gauge if theyre open to more conversation. if they ask for my picture right after i will suggest we take one together. that usually is a good indicator of how outgoing they are. usually i do better with females so maybe theyre attracted to me.
it also helps that im almost always with my sister and female cousin, who admittedly, are both are 8-9/10 depending on the day, and their attractive friends group.
>>
>>10909226
Those are the best for meeting people to meet with at future cons or even just events if you're both locals. And don't be discouraged even if it looks like a small turnout
>>10909246
>This was typed by a woman
>Cosplay is fun and for meeting people
Yes
>woman who lewd cosplays for money.
I sure hope not. The "stay away from others / me" types on here always reek of lardass, so they don't need to worry about anyone talking to them anyway
>>
>>10909254
I just wanted to spell it out because some people need reminding of the basics.
>>
>>10909231
You had a great time with them because you don't know them yet. You think you do, but you don't. And if they never turn on you it's only because you're so pathetic they don't perceive you as any kind of threat.
>>
>>10909398
Jesus you are jaded. Most people arent assholes man. Being respectful of other and most of the time they are to you. Some people don't but they're the minority.
>>
>>10908996
all of these
>>
>>10909398
I've met enough provably decent people here, and plenty of two-faced shitbags. Seems you're in the latter camp, so kindly neck yourself
>>
>>10909445
Trust me, I've met many of you over the course of years. My being jaded is based on giving you fuckers the benefit of the doubt too many times. This board unironically has the worst people of any board and I have met/become friends with people from /trv/, /k/, /fit/, /b/, hell even fucking /pol/ has more tolerable people.

>>10909463
My words are based on dealing with those two faced shitbags asshole. Ill rope myself right after you guzzle some bleach.
>>
>>10908990
just drink a few beers unironically
>>
You WILL talk to strangers at cons and have fun
You WILL find your girlfriend/boyfriend at cons
and you WILL be happy
>>
>>10910091
I keep shooters with me and keep a constant low key buzz throughout the con I try to have one to two drinks an hour.
>>
>>10910100
based and Drukpilled
>>
>>10910103
>>10910100
Based and same. I don't know how you can just be at a con and not be buzzed. And it makes everyone's cosplay and all the events and stuff so much more impactful. I sincerely wish everyone walked around buzzed like me, it would make the vibe so much more fun.
>>
>>10910106
I usually try to hand out shooters or hits off my weed pen, so many people decline it's kinda shocking.
>>
File: file.png (2.31 MB, 1280x720)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
>>10910106
>I sincerely wish everyone walked around buzzed like me
Do I have just the place for you then
>>
>>10910109
It sucks its in the middle of some flyover state.
>>
>>10910111
Still big and cool enough that I've met people who came in from overseas. But also digits
>>
>>10910109
Those swimsuits are so hot.
>>
>>10910109
Genuinely had not considered this since I don't really like waterparks but on second thought, the convention itself doesn't take place in a waterpark. Now I just need to get rich enough to drop 1000 bucks on a hotel room for two days.
>>
>>10910119
Get three friends and its $250
>>
File: 1705240778872733.jpg (108 KB, 1200x1078)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>10910120
>get friends
ahah for sure anon I'll ask my friends I have those
>>
>>10910106
My tradition is to drink a 4loko at cons. Makes stumbling through lines more fun.
>>
>>10910127
realistically you will not get a room for this year's colossal. you have over a year's time to network and get yourself out there for 2025's colossal. go to cons, join local discords, be social and you can do it
>>
>>10910127
>>10910137
I'll throw in on a room for 2025
>>
>>10910137
There’s also the fact that colossal rooms go fast. If you get one and post to colossal’s fb or discord that you have spots up for grabs in your room, I guarantee they will get filled. If you make a post like that though, make it clear IN the post that you aren’t just looking to fill spaces in the room, but you’re also looking for people to hang with at the con
>>
>>10908990
>How do you even make friends at a con?
>I'm male
IME you don't
Women will think you're hitting on them
Guys are just there to get with women
Why would you want to make friends there anyway
>>
>>10908990
My problem is, I don't know what to talk about...
>>
>>10908990
Yeah it's normal. Happens to me all the time. Most people just want the photo. Especially if you're in a high traffic area like a corridor or vendor hall where people are constantly on their way somewhere.
Next time try breaking the ice by complimenting them and asking a question while you have their attention. Like "Thanks! I love your _, where did you get it?" The roll from there. If they're interested in talking they'll engage, if not they'll make an excuse and leave. It'll help if you have a friend with you as social proof that you're not a loner weirdo. Then you and your friend can team up with the new people you just met and hang out a while.
This will work best at meets, interactive panels, etc, basically you want to be at places where people congregate and stay for a while rather than places where people are busy and just passing through. That way you're not interrupting their itinerary by trying to make friends. Avoid panels that are serious or presentation-focused though, that's like going to a movie on a first date. You're not actually going to talk to people and make friends if everyone is silently focused on a fucking powerpoint the whole time.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.