[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.47 MB, 968x968)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
The WORST kitchen utensil on the fucking planet. What is the fucking point of this thing?

>use it for 30 seconds
>clean it for 30 minutes
>still not clean

Why not just use a goddamn cheese grater for your garlic, instead of these presses? They juice the garlic more than they fucking mince them, anyway. And you never get all the garlic out of it so it always puts dried, old garlic into your things whenever you use it, because it cannot possibly be cleaned without a pressure washer or a sand blaster.

Remember to throw it away if you have one, and either mince by hand or just rub that shit on a cheese grater. Far more efficient and lest was
>>
File: 1701632609104006.jpg (158 KB, 1440x1438)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
year and lord 2024, still no AI-powered kitchen utensil that can peel and dice all sorts of vegetables and fruits. What went wrong kitchen bros?
>>
You've got the out of date design. You want one with a removable spiky surface that pushes through the holes so the holes don't get garlic pieces inside and you can then remove the spiky bit for easy cleaning.
>>
>>20419604
>>use it for 30 seconds
More like 5, maybe 10.
>>clean it for 30 minutes
You literally just rinse it off for another 10 seconds, garlic smell doesn't stick to steel.

>Why not just use a goddamn cheese grater for your garlic, instead of these presses?
Because it takes longer to grate one, let alone multiple cloves of garlic compared to dropping it into a press and pressing. Not to mention not having to deal with smell lingering on your fingers for the next 2 days.
>They juice the garlic more than they fucking mince them, anyway.
Sounds like some shit dollar store press.
> And you never get all the garlic out of it so it always puts dried, old garlic into your things whenever you use it, because it cannot possibly be cleaned without a pressure washer or a sand blaster.
You spend 30 minutes cleaning and can't get all the garlic out? Why don't you ask your wrangler for help next time?
>>
>>20419604
>still not clean
I don’t see the problem. Just got the big bits off, fuggettabout the rest. All that’ll happen is your future garlic will get a little extra from your past garlic.
>>
>>20419619
>>20419604
Use a knife ffs.
>>
You just need a decent press with that removable part
>>
>>20419604
>cheese grater
just use a knife?
>>
File: IMG20240420212213.jpg (3.44 MB, 4096x3072)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>>20419702
Ugh, see picture attached...
>>
>>20419629
>WHY CLEAN YOUR DISHES THE FLAVOR OF YOUR PREVIOUS MEAL WILL SEASON YOUR NEXT MEAL!
please don't reproduce
>>
>>20419723
Not him, but I think like him and have two children of my own and seven offspring produced from my donor sperm.
>>
>>20419604
I have a rosle garlic press and it works really well, maybe you need better tools?
>>
>>20419604
It's generally inefficient to use specialized tools like that unless you're a professional cook and going to be using them all day. I used to have all sorts of different specialized tools and now I pretty much just have a few knives, grater and peeler. It's all you really need. The amount of time spent washing does not justify the extra soiled tools.
>>
>>20419604
just use a micro grater basically the same otherwise just mince or mash more if u want pasty garlic
>>
>>20419604
use an old tooth brush anon
>>
more like gaylic press lmao
>>
>>20419604
Hmm, never thought about using a grater on garlic, interesting idea except they cloves are so small.
But I used a garlic press that looks exactly like that the other day to juice some citrus fruits, it worked pretty well. (peeled and cut into sections first).
But why do you have to word in such an obnoxious clickbait way?
Chatgpt to the rescue:
> This kitchen utensil can be quite frustrating to use. It seems like it takes more time to clean it than it does to actually use it. Despite spending significant time cleaning it, it still doesn't seem to get fully clean.
>I've found that using a cheese grater for garlic might be a better option. Garlic presses tend to extract more juice than actually mincing the garlic, and it's difficult to completely clean them, often leaving dried garlic residue behind. It might be more efficient to either mince garlic by hand or grate it on a cheese grater.
>>
File: 1713645468553.jpg (116 KB, 819x380)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Not a problem with this one
>>
>>20419873
I have that one too:
>>20419743
Truly the best garlic press, I love all my rosle things.
>>
>>20419873
WHenever I use this the garlic just comes up the sides it doesnt get pressed out the holes, well soem of it but not all
>>
>>20419693
>Nooo you can't just save time and effort!!
>>
>>20419881
It's hard to hate things as well made as rosle
>>
I've always wonder how people with zero mechanical sense got around in the kitchen.
>ARG I HAVE LITERALLY ZERO IDEAS HOW TO CLEAR MATERIAL OUT OF A PERPHERATED SURFACE
yeesh. do you need a guide to screw a hole in straight as well?
>>
>>20420444 (checked)
How about I whip your fucking ass?
>>
if you clean it immediately or let it soak in water it takes like 20 seconds. youre basically admitting you let it sit out for a day before cleaning it
>>
I usually have my microplane out for something when I'm cooking so I just use it for garlic too
>>
>>20419988
You probably used a junky $2 one with too much clearance space
>>
>>20419604
That's because you're buying a cheap shitty garlic press. If you actually used a good one, like pic related, the Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press, then you'd realize how wrong you are. For starters, it has a compound lever design, which absolutely destroys your shitty one, since it multiplies the force applied, making light work of any garlic clove and even able to pulverize unpeeled cloves. Secondly the chamber is hinged, meaning it can swing out for easy cleaning. Literally takes 15-30 seconds under running water. Thirdly, the actual surface area of the press itself is much longer and wider than cheaper presses and the holes are bevelled, which prevent bruising of the garlic. Lastly it's solid grade 316 stainless steel, which is rust proof and dishwasher safe if you're too lazy to even wash it under a tap. So yeah.. stop buying shitty products and actually do your research. It's like buying a butter knife to chop vegetables and thinking all knives are bad because of it.
>>
>>20420972
The chef who needs a knife to cook is a slave to the recipe.
>>
>>20419604
Op your barin is just too smooth, im jealous
>>
>>20419604
Cleans it as soon as you're done.
Use cold water.

Shouldn't take you more than like 1 minute.
>>
get (a) good (one)
I have one where the garlic compartment is removable, it looks like a sewing thimble. no problems, it's easy to clean
>>
>>20420992
What does that even mean? And what kind of a chef does NOT need a knife? Microwaving ready meals is not cooking.
>>
>>20419604
Why be so mad about it as to make a thread about it? Just shave or crush it by hand like everyone else, who gives a shit
>>
>>20419619
what is the name of these creatures? they appeal to me
>>
File: file.png (2.48 MB, 1200x1200)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB PNG
>press
wa la
>>
>>20419619
You never looked hard enough. Try online dating.
>>
>mating press
>>
>>20421708
That pre-minced garlic has like 20% of the flavor.
>>
File: IMG_3225.jpg (71 KB, 1000x796)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>20419604
Use one of these, way easier to clean because no crevices
>>
>>20419604
>use it for 30 seconds
You're not eating enough garlic, anon.
>>
>>20420972
This reads like a speech Timothy Price would give Bateman in American Psycho
>>
>>20421670
Cats
>>
>eat garlic
>have bad breath
>stinky sweat
No thanks. Garlic is an incel seasoning.
>>
>>20422815
Being gay isn't that much of a cool thing nowadays either regardless of what everyone says.
>>
>>20419629
This. Half the time the garlic skin comes out on its own, the other half just scrape out with a little knife, then a little rinse under the faucet for formality's sake. It's not as if the garlic press gets used for anything except garlic, and I don't think a little residue is gonna go bad, that shit kills vampires.
>>
>>20422084
Yeah but it lacks the pimple-popping ASMR of the OP version.
>>
Do all of you not have a fucking dishwasher or what?
>>
>>20422840
what's the gate code for your fancy richfag neighborhood? maybe I'll come get a dishwasher
>>
>>20422846
I got gobernment gibs for the last three years and i still always had a dishwasher.
>>
>>20419619
goyshopped cats
>>
>>20420972
The one in the OP isn't even that bad. Looks like an older OXO. You flip it around and the little red part cleans out the holes then you rinse off the rest. The newer design is even more like your pic.
>>
File: jr5ofm.jpg (21 KB, 256x300)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>20420972
>Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press
>$54
Yeah, I'm just gonna slap the garlic with the side of my cleaver.
>>
>>20422412
are you sure?
>>
>>20424034
Based
>>
>>20419625
oh fuck yea, a useless thing to lose in a drawer that will let me clean the useless thing lost in my drawer. Fuck you, use a knife.
I've used 3x different garlic presses, and they are all worse than even a dull knife
>>
>cooking board
>every poster is too fucking retarded to clean a garlic press in under half an hour
>>
>>20421708
oh cool, now the weak point in your armor will chew my garlic for me after he peels it with his tongue
>>
>>20424034
$50 is nothing for something that will last a lifetime and that you’ll use countless times every week. That’s if you’re into cooking anyway, since garlic is one of the most common ingredients used. Saves you time, effort and produces perfect results each time. I mean, do you think you’ll be on your deathbed, wishing you had an extra $50 in your bank account for your children or the state to fight over? or would you rather have lived a little and given yourself some form of luxury in your life, that made things a little bit easier? Not that I really care what you do though. I don’t.
>>
>>20422404
What do you want me to say? It’s a great garlic press. Sorry if I clearly explained why it’s the best one so plebs like yourself can make decent and sound purchases and not buy shitty quality like OP.

>>20423280
I know which one it is. OXO make some decent products, but their garlic press isn’t one of them. The Kuhn Rikon is the best you can buy, and mogs any other press out there. Research it if you doubt me.
>>
>>
>>20424125
It doesn't have a swiper like the Rösle. It is ash in my eyes.
>>
File: 233478011_0_640x640.jpg (44 KB, 640x640)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
For the ultra lazy.
>>
File: ikea.jpg (29 KB, 522x522)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>20420972
pls no bully
>>
>>20423174
shizo
>>
I use a butter knife to extract the garlic husk and discard it in a one-motion flick of the wrist. Then load another clove or two. Perfect minced fresh garlic assembly-line style. I own the cheap OXO, it's built like a tank. Rinse ten seconds under hot water and put it in the drawer, there are no remnants of garlic on the rinsed press.

Let your pressed garlic sit at least twenty minutes before using, it'll greatly enhance the nutritional value.

Avoid garlic presses with pistons because the piston edge can catch on the lip of the chamber and when you squeeze hard the handle can snap and cut the palm or web of your hand. I broke several Zyliss this way before changing designs to non-piston.
>>
>>20419723
>oh no my garlic will taste like garlic
>>
Literally just rinse it under the faucet immediately after use while opening and closing. It's only a bitch to clean if you let the garlic dry.
Skill issue.
>>
>>20424125
The rosle garlic press is better
>>
File: 1687368466249261.jpg (17 KB, 474x343)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>20419619
Nowadays something like that would work on a subscription and will only cut up produce that has a special QR code on it that it scans and records in an online database while it automatically generates unskippable ads tailored to you, which you have to clap and dance along to in order to get it to cut up your veggies. It posts what things you cut up on your social media with posts like "mmm I'm feeling like a total zucchinicel today." If you attempt to cut up a piece of fruit with a nonpropietary or missing QR code the whole thing just bricks itself and you have to buy a new one. Also the offending fruit will be locked inside the device. Only trained professionals can unlock the door in this situation.
>>
>>20424135
pre-minced garlic barely has any flavor

fresh stuff has a very strong and even spicy flavor
>>
>>20424427
>Let your pressed garlic sit at least twenty minutes before using, it'll greatly enhance the nutritional value.
What the fuck are you talking about? How could dried garlic have more nutrition?
>>
File: 1705878163430347.jpg (156 KB, 1080x1024)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>20425019
>mmm I'm feeling like a total zucchinicel today.
>>
>>20424038
No
>>
>>20424955
>>20424141
Nope, the Kuhn Rikon is far better. For starters it has a better construction, with the handles and chambers being solid pieces of stainless steel, whereas the Rosle is constructed of lots of separate parts, fixed together, which are obvious weak points in the design. The Rikon is also ergonomically designed, which feels far better in your hand and with a far better designed compound level that produces far more force and makes pressing garlic much easier. It also has bevelled holes that are narrowed like a funnel, which gives far more uniform pieces and pushes out more garlic. The chamber is also much bigger, with the Rosle having a relatively small chamber, that struggles to fit large cloves, and also with the sides not being fully flush, so garlic escapes from the edges without being properly crushed, leading to poor results.

The Kuhn Rikon is just far better of a design, wins in Americas Test Kitchen as the best garlic press, also in other reviews, like this one,

http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/weekly/2011/01-21-933/garlic-press.html

And here’s a video showing the poor quality of the Rosle, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HoH4paT6Pa8

So yeah, you clearly both don’t know what you’re talking about and likely have never used the Rikon, and are somehow trying to justify your poor purchases.
>>
The best: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/ihCKDgSP1f4
>>
>>20427517
That video reviewer has bad arthritis or something. You can see in the way he moves his hands. Maybe the Rosle isn't good for disabled people. And the Kuhn Rikon is also made in China so his only valid point about the Rosle doesn't apply in this comparison. It's just a sad fact about modern manufacturing.
>>
>>20427517
Having owned both of them I prefer the rosle.
>americas test kitchen
Why would I care about what a team of diverse browns has to say about anything?
>>
File: glasses.png (154 KB, 484x205)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
>>20419604
Pro tip: keep the garlic in the paper when you put in the press then you take the paper out afterwards
Don't tell me you've actually been peeling the garlic before putting it in have you?
>>
>>20429150
yes I have been peeling it. Are you fucking with me? If I try this and it takes me an hour to clean the press afterwards, I will find you
>>
>>20429155
Nope, try it and you'll see you wasted hundreds of hours peeling it
>>
>>20427541
>That video reviewer has bad arthritis or something.
Yeah, yeah, sure, he's got arthritis, that's why he can't fit his garlic clove in the chamber, and why the garlic comes out of the sides of the chamber when he crushes it, instead of through the actual holes.

>the Kuhn Rikon is also made in China
It has nothing to do with Chinese manufacturing, but in the actual construction. The handles and the chamber are separate parts, that are fixed together, instead of being a solid piece of metal. This is clearly a lesser quality design, and a fail point in the device, it's also not ergonomically designed.

>>20428645
>Why would I care about what a team of diverse browns has to say about anything?
I highly doubt you've used both, or you'd know the Kuhn Rikon is better. And why should you care? Because they're professional chefs that are preparing and cooking dishes throughout the day, for weeks on end, day in, day out, who test these products under professional conditions, with teams of other chefs. Their opinion if far more valuable than yours. If you prefer the rosle, then you simply have poor judgement and can't be trusted.
>>
>>20420972
>That's because you're buying a cheap shitty garlic press.
this
I don't even peel my garlic, it forces the garlic right through the paper too. Then, I flick out the paper with a fork, or just my fingernail and pop in a second clove!

If you are letting garlic dry all inside and all over your press, simply submerge it in a hot water filled sink, or measuring cup filled with same. Dried bits are now soaked. Duh. Do you have a scrub brush? I have a kitchen grill that has an annoying grate that I have to soak and brush, but I bought a high quality stuf bristle brush specifically for the job. It's libman, I think.
>>
>>20429366
>words words words about muh kitchen browns
Literally do not care about what those retarded fat women have to say.
Everything related to atk, including the magazine, have been shit since the white man who made it left.
>>
>>20429366
>can't be trusted.
Well of course not, he's a paid shill and a flaming faggot.
>>
>>20419604
>use
>rinse under tap at high pressure to remove most of it
>shove it in dishwasher
Works every time. Make sure you also get a solid metal one with a decent round shape and no rim to catch anything. Also weirdly it works better if you don't peel your cloves just cut the root bit off the end, then pulling the remaining skin off removes almost everything in one go. That might technically use up like 10% more garlic but unless you're a poorfag (and you are because you don't seem to have a dishwasher) who cares?
>>
>>20419604
I dated a bpd girl from arkansas who said 'I just use a cheese grater' and I've used it ever since if I'm doing bulk garlic. if its less than a head I just dice it, rough dicing is just as fast as a press

>I also have a jar of minced garlic for when I am extra lazy
>one day I will bulk make minced garlic ice blocks
>>
>>20424115
It’s a piece of fucking garlic you retard. It takes you max 3 seconds to crush it with your knife and another 5 if you also want to cut it.
>>
ceramic grater plates are what I prefer. You just rub it on the plate until it turns into mush. Takes a bit of extra effort but the clean up is way easier.
>>
>>20422030
I'll just use 5x as much then.
>>
>>20419604
Oh wow my mom used to throw a demonic rage fit everytime I used this to cook a meal. Now that I live by myself I learned that you can just crush and slice it with a kitchen knife.
>>
>>20429150
>the paper
??
>>
>>20419604
i use a mini food processor
>>
>>20432847
It takes far longer than 5 seconds to mince garlic by hand to the same state as one that’s been through a garlic press, and it takes 1 second to put it through the garlic press. You’re a retard if you think it doesn’t save you time and effort, and a retard for not knowing that it also produces stronger flavoured garlic, since the strength of the garlic is impacted by the amount of cells within the garlic clove that are broken down, something that the garlic press does perfectly.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.