[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1709729232262783.jpg (52 KB, 1200x799)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Saw some Kimchi in my local supermarket. Should I buy a jar and try it?

What's the big deal? Is it just a meme? What do I even eat it with?
>>
Not sure if serious.

It’s a general purpose side or condiment, can go with almost any meat/rice dish.
You can make kimchi-spaghetti, toasted cheese with kimchi, put it in ramen, eat plain as a side-salad etc.

Only advice is to store the container in a decent ziplock bag or two, so it doesn’t stink out the fridge.
>>
>>20421382
Serious. I live in scandinavia so it's quite new for me.

I guess I could try it as a side dish for when I make stir fry or something. Is it hot?
>>
Kimchi is meme.
>>
How the fuck would anyone know if you should buy it if you don't even bother to post a picture. Is it freshly made? Is it imported from Korea? Is it even alive?
>>
>>20421390
The stuff you get in the supermarket won’t be too spicy, if you like spicy food you will be fine.

It’s basically pickled cabbage so it’s similar to sauerkraut or coleslaw in some ways.

Kimchi fried rice, bacon/eggs with kimchi etc.

It might be an acquired taste, but I think it’s worth acquiring.
>>
>Should I buy a jar and try it?
No. Supermarket kimchi tends too be marinated in vinegar rather than properly fermented and the ones that actually are fermented taste like shit. Unless you're at a KOREAN supermarket, don't bother. Even other Asian stores don't always have good, proper kimchi
>>20421354
>What's the big deal?
Tastes good.
>Is it just a meme?
Yes. A meme saying back about four hundred years.
>What do I even eat it with?
Lube yourself up with kimchi juice before you dildo your fuckhole
>>
>>20421425
>saying
Dating
>>
You can just add stuff to sauerkraut, which costs a fraction
>>
>>20421392
This anon gets it
>>
Supermarket kimchi is not going to taste great. It will be filled with preservatives and chemical additives.

In South Korea kimchi is traditionally eaten as a side dish with every meal.
>>
>>20421354
it tastes and smells like farts. if you like farts sauerkraut is the best choice
>>
no kimchi is bad and thats probably not even real kimchi
>fermented cabbage
we have stuff like fried mushrooms and steak sandwiches, you don't have to eat like a peasant in a mountainous hellhole besiged by horse warriors and pirates lmao
>>
>>20421354
I only really use it in Korean soup or with rice/fried rice. I don't know what the koreans eat it with, I think they legit just eat it by itself alongside whatever else they're eating
When you take your portion out of the jar, let it sit for like 10 minutes on a plate or something before eating to let the co2 out otherwise it will feel like you're eating pop rocks and taste like nothing
>>
>>20421425
>proper kimchi
What a fucking tool
>umm actually this is not a proper IPA because it's not hoppy enough
>this isn't proper kimchi because it isn't made in glorious Nippon by master artisans with 100,000 year old traditions
Fuck food hipsters
>>
>>20421913
>Nippon
>Kimchi
I hate to be the hipster here
>>
>>20421913
t. has only every had improper, illicit kimchi
>>
>>20421913
Pretend he said "proper pizza roll" or "proper country-fried steak" and maybe you'll understand what the phrase means
>>
>>20421354
It's just pickled cabbage with chili. I got it as a free side at a korean restaurant and came to like it

I get mine from an asian supermarket and eat it as a snack and don't cook it with anything because I can't cook
>>
Yeah, try it but try to get some that is not pasteurized and if you want the health benefits obviously do not cook it. I just eat a mouth full every day for the probiotics. I also love the taste so that is ideal.
>>
File: chi.jpg (1.05 MB, 2400x2400)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>20421354
This brand is my favorite. I have plans to make my own but I have yet to gather all the supplies. I find it at my local Whole Foods. It's alive so you have to keep it in the fridge. The vegan stuff is gross imo, needs to have the fish goodness as part of the recipe.
>>
I have kimchi as a hot dog topping.
>>
>>20421354
Great for eating w/ meat/rice
>>
>>20421390
>scandinavia
I mean, it's not going to be very good unless you happen to have some weird Korean enclave in your town, but it's very tasty and it goes well with a lot of things
>>
wang
>>
>>20422799
>probiotics
I don't know what that is
>>
>>20423628
It’s fermented food beneficial to gut health.
>>
>>20421354
I eat it cold it's super refreshing. It literally sparkles on the tongue like soda.
>>
>>20421354
I would recommend it as a topping for a rice dish, such as fried rice, beef and broccoli, a chinese chicken stir-fry, that sort of thing.

It has a nice crunchiness/freshness that adds to the overall texture palette of your dish, while also adding some spice.
>>
>>20421392
This. It's just a shittier sauerkraut
>>
>>20421829
>no kimchi is bad and thats probably not even real kimchi
I'll bite, what makes kimchi, real kimchi?
>>
>>20423628
they are little goofy guys that help you break down food so you don't get tummy aches. if you don't have enough of them you can't make irl poop emojis
>>
File: _20240422_153123.jpg (2.49 MB, 5504x3096)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Yeh buy some to try and see if you like but the prices are retarded compared to cost price.
I made 3 litres for like $6aud.
>>
>>20421392
fuck you I like kimchi
>>
>>20421354
Once you realize it tastes like vomited cabbage it's hard to eat.

And while I'm at it, coconut water tastes like someone else's spit.
>>
>>20424098
>coconut water tastes like someone else's spit.
motherfucker
>>
I crave kimchi when i'm hungover, the spicier the better.
>>
>>20421354
I like it raw, or with bread and cheese, or meat. I think I have heard of kimchi with meat and shrimp in it already, but I might be wrong. Does that even exist?
>>
>>20424120
Shrimp paste is pretty standard.
>>
>>20423932
This has to be a joke, or just a zoomer speaking their mind.
>>
>>20424122 digits
Yeah, thought so. What threw me off was the asian girl bagger at the supermarket. We got to chatting about Kimchi, and she said she had never heard of shrimp in Kimchi. Lol.
I knew it.
>>
>>20421354
In my opinion, it tastes a little weird and funky in a way that isn't super desirable. I don't feel the same way about sauerkraut or fermented onions. So I guess there's a slightly different bacterial profile in there that my palate reads as being off. Either that or there's just some other ingredient like the fish sauce that makes it taste weird. I don't know, I've never made it.

To answer your question, you shouldn't buy kimchi from a jar. It should be in the refrigerated section in a plastic tub. Otherwise, the bacteria will be dead.
>>
>>20424163
it can be in a jar in the refrigerated section and there's no reason it must be in plastic
>>
>>20424040
The color on this looks nice, plus the fact it has a lot of delicious kimchi juice.
>>
>>20424171
He's probably just used to buying Grillo's pickles and thinks everything comes in plastic these days.
>>
>>20423935
Probably traditional fermentation, just like real sauerkraut versus vinegar processed industrial sauerkraut, same as with pickles

I haven't tried kimchi nor do I care to go out of my way in even the slightest fashion to, but there is a difference, real fermented food doesn't have the harshness of vinegar and is believed to have health benefits. I don't really care and I'll eat candy bars and frozen shit and w/e but real sauerkraut is great
>>
>>20424185
Grillos are vinegar processed, they're just heavily seasoned. They're good but not "real"
>>
>>20424190
What are you telling me for?
>>
>>20424190
Grillos are uncooked which is what makes them better than the room temperature shelf pickles
>>
I tried it once at Korean BBQ and it was disgusting
>>
>>20424186
You're fucking stupid
>>
>>20423936
I already shit like a champ. Weirdly, I had a conversation about toilet paper and poo with a neighbour as we were coming in from services yesterday. She was out of TP and couldn't make it to the store. She was hinting that she wanted one of us to drive her but we hadn't eaten lunch yet so I offered her a roll of ours. She asked which brand we have then complained that the particular brand the missus and I buy would fuck up her toilet. I then realized that since I use only 2-4 squares per go because I get so much fiber in my diet, my BMs don't leave much behind and we've had this lady over for Thanksgiving. She's definitely not much of a vegetable eater so I think that's probably why our toilets don't get clogged despite using this super thick TP and hers do: we don't use as much of it per trip as she does.
We can't use the thin shit that lady likes. I'm a little faerie fucking princess and my butt absolutely demands that thick, soft stuff we buy.
Anyway, I wound up driving her after lunch and she bought this sandpapery brand that I simply can't use. Also, I was absolutely aghast at the price of TP and kitchen paper these days.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
Make a kimchi pancake
>>
>>20421400
Find a Korean shop where they sell it themselves under stores name
Can also get kimchi at Korean restaurant to take home ... Would be quality stuff to be sure
>>
>>20425696
>Can also get kimchi at Korean restaurant to take home
Yeah, that's what I usually do. It's both cheaper and better quality than any store stuff, and you can see the granny in the back making it.
>>
>>20421354
>jar
Tbh if it's not in a bag with a gas vent I wouldn't buy it. Otherwise, I would buy it. Kimchi is about as tasty or more tasty as any other fermented thing and I've heard that fermented food is healthy (no idea if that's truly accurate)
>>
I like sauerkraut
I do not like kimchi
>>
File: 6933982972.jpg (128 KB, 1000x1000)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>20425857
you can't eat neither by itself really
easten european cabbage is better as a standalone dish by miles and it's not even close
>>
>>20425811
>I've heard that fermented food is healthy (no idea if that's truly accurate)
It's a meem
>>
>>20421354
No, it's not a meme it's a foodstuff.
>>
>>20425870
>you can't eat neither by itself really
I've definitely eaten sauerkraut by itself and enjoyed it.
But usually when I do that it's not basic batch supermarket brand cans of sauerkraut.
>>
>>20426117
I had high hopes about sauerkraut when I moved to US but yes, at least you can't buy edible one from the store
kimchi is much more edible, but it's unnecessarily spicy
>>
>>20421354
I made a pizza once and put some kimchi on top of a quarter of it. It was delicious. I like to eat it raw as a snack or as a side to a meal. My advice is to be careful opening it. It's a fermented product and there could be pressure when you open it and that red sauce could spray everywhere. It stains.
>>
File: PXL_20240421_230350376.jpg (748 KB, 1380x3134)
748 KB
748 KB JPG
I'm making a batch right now, stuff from the store is overpriced imo
>>
It's chilli sourkraut.
>>
>>20424414
How do you get so much fiber in your diet?
>>
>>20421392
Tastelit take
>>
>>20426997
I eat vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables.
>>
>>20421354
It gives you stomach aids.
>>
>>20421354

キムチ is intended for use with 焼肉. So to answer your question, if you have a means to properly prepare 焼肉 then sure, it might be worth it. If you only have a standard oven range and no other specialized appliances, don't even bother.
>>
>>20421354
Jongga and Twins kimchi(make sure you're not getting vegan versions) are a couple of good grocery store brands.
Everything else is probably going to be shit.
>t. korean
>>
>>20428540
>Jongga kimchi
Their kimchi instant noodle cups are on offer at Grocery Outlet in my area, $1/2 big-ass cups.
Also O'Food stuff, which I think is just Jongga by a different name since the two companies seem to exist under the "Family brand!" label (along with Daesang and some other one I can't recall.
O'Food makes the only good vegan instant noodle I've ever had, the seaweed flavour one.
>>
>>20424186
>Probably
shut the fuck up retard
>I haven't tried
shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>20421354
bumpchi
>>
>>20421354
I tried it but didnt enjoy it
I also dont like fish
>>
>>20421354
Plain white rice and marinated beef
>>
>>20421354
I love it as a cold side to virtually anything asian I'm eating. It's like a little side of stinky pickles..but cabbage. You can get regular and spicy kimchi but spicy kimchi isn't properly spicy either. It's fermented and is great for your health.
>>
>>20432004
Also, about probiotics. They are beneficial living bacteria that are found in many fermented products and things like yogurt as well. When you eat things with them, they stay and multiply in your GI tract, taking up realty that bad bacteria could have and helping in various ways that are both obvious like regulating your digestion, reducing GI complaints etc and things that have only recently come to light in research in the last 10 years that have neurological/psychological implications.
>>
>>20432013
and despite all this koreans still have some of the highest rates of stomach cancer in the world
>>
>>20432004
>It's fermented and is great for your health.
Please fuck off of 4chan, wine mom.
>>
>>20432541
That's because they drink like 10x more than anyone else
You get off work, you get shithoused, then go home and pass out
Every day with that shit
>>
>>20424040
This looks absolutely amazing. I really need to make my own.
>>
>>20432541
heavy drinking, tons of cured food, pylori will do that to you
>>
>>20421354
it's basically just saurkraut with peppers
it's pretty good but people are asking like 5 times more than what it's actually worth because it's "exotic"
>>
>>20421715
pretty sure the act of pickling is already a preservative in and of itself
>>
>>20421354
Just get sauerkraut with jalapenos
>>
>>20421354
Spicy sauerkraut.
>>
>>20432545
Been here longer than you fag.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.