[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: donkey.png (293 KB, 474x566)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
Why are there never threads about recipes/cook books on here? I've been teaching myself how to cook and the hardest part is honestly finding good (somewhat) easy things that I want to make.
>>
Since it is literally a matter of taste you really aren't going to get an answer that pleases you

https://www.seriouseats.com/essential-cookbooks-for-every-kitchen is the basic set you should have. If you're looking for truly basic shit you should also look at the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and if you're into any baking at all King Arthur Flour has a shitton of recipes even a moron can follow (just don't get suckered into buying their shit, and learn to recognize when one of their recipes for desserts is "done" and you're reading a list of embellishments)
>>
File: 1642048018755.jpg (230 KB, 1018x670)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>20427167
>>
>>20427167
theres one every week or so.
>>
>>20427167
I just listed the online ones that are still up and running
here they are again

https://based.cooking/

https://mega.nz/folder/82BBgQQA#KD55vdeh3AEFdCZ5EEOvJA

https://ck.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list

https://d.lib.msu.edu/search?sort=title+asc&fq=RELS_EXT_isMemberOfCollection_uri_s%3Ainfo%5C%3Afedora%2Ffa%5C%3Aroot
>>
>>20427167
why would you listen to anything from this fucker he can't even make a grilled cheese
>>
>>20427167
I bought my mum an air fryer cookbook for Christmas because she keeps raving about her air fryer and I don't know if she's able to find a website with air fryer recipes.
>>
>>20428134
I bet she'll out-google you any day
>>
>>20427167
Because Google exists. I have some cookbooks, I used to use them, had Better Homes and Garden's from my mom, the set from Alton Brown, Fanny Farmer, several more... Haven't used any for years. Now when I want to cook something new I Google it, check out 2-4 recipes, look at common ingredients, think about which unshared ingredients might be worth it; I look at ratios (how much flour to fat or how much of a particular spice they tend to call for per serving), I look at serving sizes and what size dish is called for to prepare it. It's seriously better than a cookbook if you use your noggin' a little. And cookbooks don't always have recipes that work, for that matter.
>>
>>20427167
Cookbooks only work if you know how to cook. Know the basics, etc. Otherwise they're just ideas.

Jaques pepin talked about a pocket book he had with like 3000 recipes in it, but each dish was just the dish name, and base ingredients that was in it, nothing else.

That's where he got his idea to expand on that and create the visual cook book, a marketing meme.
>>
>>20428076

The Internet isn't real life dumb cunt.
>>
>>20427213
Go back.
>>
>>20429660
Fuck off and have a little cry Gordon, you fucking hack.
>>
>>20427167
Book threads were banned circa 2008.
>>
>>20429516
Exactly this. I just dont need to flip through a book anymore HOPING they have a recipe i want. I can google it and find 50,000 recipes for the thing i want immediately, and its easy to find related recipes if maybe i dont have an ingredient. I think the best course of action would be if you have a recipe you love and you keep going back to, print that off and keep it in a binder, and basically make your own cookbook. That way if the website ever disappears, you still have it. Maybe even give it to your kids :) but yeah as much as i would love to be a based cookbook user, theres just no reason to do it.
>>
>>20431818
I actually have two binders. After going through a few internet recipes I write down what I'm actually going to do when I make something new. After I make it I immediately write down any changes I want to try. Once I've made something twice successfully I copy it over to my second binder, which is I guess my personal cookbook. Works well enough that even my wife can follow my recipes and get good results.
>>
>>20431856
Im pretty sure they banned writing back in 1984
Be careful anon
>>
>>20431856
supremely based
>>
>>20431856
Why don't you start a thread and post your 'cipes?
>>
>>20429516
About 50% of cookbooks do have badly tested recipes which won't come out right, but so do 95% of Google results and Google doesn't even return more than three pages of unique results anymore.
>>
File: calvados roast duck.jpg (376 KB, 1600x1377)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
I have "Le cordon bleu at home" and many of the recipes can't even fit all the ingredients on a single page, and have things that are too exotic to keep around. They sound good but I'll stick with easy things.
>>
I'm upping my cooking skills by picking a chain restaurant and trying to duplicate the recipes I might order from there. Start at the low end, Dennys and IHOP tier and work up until you can duplicate what's on the menu at a fancy starred restaurant. I've had plenty of screw ups such as beef wellington with a soggy crust, but you just eat your mistakes and try again.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (391 KB, 1200x1600)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
>Makes all other cookbooks obsolete
Literally a solved problem.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.