[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some uses for deez niggas? I've been making a dericious caramelized shallot pasta
>mince shallots fine
>cook over lower heat with olive oil til browned
>start pasta
>add garlic and red pepper flakes to shallots
>add tomato paste to sauce, turn up the heat to get it cooked down
>add pasta
>add pasta water
>add a bunch of Parmesan
>let dem flavors get to fuckin
I don't have any other uses for them though and there's a shitload in a bag. Going to mince and freeze them I think, works great for garlic.
>>
>>20429599
aren't they just red onions with more of a garlic flavor?
>>
I like them because they dont burn my eyes
>>
>>20429610
No they have a pretty complicated, subtle flavor. I think they're substantially better than either garlic or onions
>>20429617
The ones I've got burn the piss out of my eyes, gonna get goggles for chopping
>>
>shallots
>slightly better taste than onions, perhaps
>takes twice as long to prep
>makes you cry WAY more than sweet onions

>>20429610
no, not a garlic flavor

>>20429617
um that's sweet onions, shallots burn the MOST
>>
>>20429656
>>20429659
>le burn
i never understood this meme. the only time i get teary is when i grate onions. chopping them never does anything, unless you guys are putting your head directly over the cutting board
>>
>>20429659
Why does everyone say they take longer to prep?
>peel outer layer
>chop up rough
>mince fine if you want
It's exactly the same as an unyun
>>
I've begun to use them instead of any other onion for everything. Shit's great.
>>
>>20429670
is that actually something people say? it's simple as fuck
>chop off ends
>halve then quarter
>shallot skin falls off
>>
>>20429656
sharpen your knife homeboy
>>
>>20429834
It's not the knife it's the onion
Old ones outgass a lot more
>>
>>20429670
cuz shallots have WAY more dirt stuck between the layers and are much smaller and you have to cut off the ends, slice them in half, then slice lengthwise, then mince, it ends up taking 3x as long than to process the same weight of sweet onion
>>
File: 1660864686128883.jpg (52 KB, 717x561)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>20429881
>>
>>20429599
the semicolon of the aromatic world
>>
Shallots are FANTASTIC in chowder.
>>
>>20429599
Delicate sauces, as a raw if you think onions are too pungent.
>>20429610
>garlic flavor?
Where does this bullshit come from? I read it so often.
>>
>>20429599
i pan fry them in an olive oil & butter mix then fry scallops in it. Topping shallots with scallops was originally a joke but now I can't eat them any other way. If I decided to be heavy handed with the butter & olive oil there's going to be enough leftover to fry rice in, naturally with an egg added as well. I like to add sweet thai chilli sauce to the scallops as well.

Open to suggestions as to what to add to the shall fried rice
>>
File: ElOWe1SUYAEprQn.png (250 KB, 721x897)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>20429599
I love using it for bearnaise. It's ridiculous how easy it is to make even with a regular blender. Doing the whisk method is kinda tough on the wrist.
>>
File: handmixer.jpg (51 KB, 1024x1000)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>20430593
>>
>>20429599
garlic, shallots, ginger, chilis, sugar, blend and you have that meme asian curry paste. I always have some
>>20429617
shallots burn worse than other onions
>>
>>20429853
It’s both, but yeah some storage onions are gonna fuck you up no matter what.
>>
>>20429599
>Going to mince and freeze them I think
Is this actually okay for shallots? I love them but use them infrequently, so I rarely buy them, which means I rarely have them, which means I end up not using them at all. I'd like to buy a ton and prep them and drop them in the freezer but I don't know if that'd be a waste of money and effort.
>>
>>20431015
You generally shouldn't dice/mince and freeze vegetables at all. You can refrigerate uncut portions of whole vegetable though
>>
>>20431236
That's simply not true. Frozen onion, shallots, and garlic function exactly the same as fresh if you cook with it. You can even freeze mirepoix for soup
>>
>>20429599
I saw that jewtube video as well.
I just make cheese steaks with them and shiitakes and it turned out pretty good. Could have used some peppers tho.
>>
>>20431539
They will lose flavour or worse get that freezer flavour. That effect is worse the fine you cut the vegetables and the more delicate they are.
Also what's even the point of freezing minced shallots?
>>
>>20431595
>what's the point of preserving perishable food?
"freezer flavor"? You mean "freezer burnt"? Do you not how to seal food properly? I've been freezing garlic and shallots for months and they come out fine.
>>
>>20431601
Not just freeze burnt but that strange flavour from a freezer.
>>
>>20431601
I'd generally agree, but not everybody gets a vacuum sealer.
>>
we have both in our cuppboard. I use them when I dont want to cut up a whole onion. For what its worth, I cant tell much difference when im eating my food
>>
>>20429599
Make bordelaise sauce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hH87tmPZY
>>
>>20429659
Rarely do any onions make me cry

>>20429670
I assume just due to their size, you have to cut more of them to get the same amount as one onion.
>>
Slice em bread em fry em up like onion straws, they're so good bros
>>
File: IMG_5884.jpg (2.88 MB, 4032x3024)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>20429599
Chicken marsala is my go-to, I never set out to make it on purpose but when I make chicken quarters or bone-in breasts in the oven I see all the juices and fats in the pan afterwards. So, I move it to the burner, add shallots in the chicken juices until color changes with a little olive oil if needed, then add mushrooms until browned slightly, then add wine, thyme, pepper, and half a chicken stock cube (or BtB paste or demi-glace), then let it reduce. Can mix in cold butter or heavy cream at the end but it doesn't need it. Serve with chicken and penne or 'ghetti. Ignore how it looks it tastes amazing.
>>
>>20430432
not sure what you mean but the semicolon is my second favorite form of punctuation (after the em dash) and i also really like shallots
>>
>>20431539
>>20431015
It's fine if you're going to cook them, but if you're planning to use them raw like on a sandwich or something you should freeze them whole and cut them when you use them so the cuts are fresh.
>>
>>20432231
That look like shit
You suck

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.