[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are the benefits to deep frying food? Anytime I tried something that's deep fried I always regret it on taste alone.
>>
it's better than shallow frying
>>
>cheese barely starting to melt in the middle
ahh the ramsay special
>>
>>20431387
Deep frying is terrific at dehydrating food, which is why it can turn a wet batter into a crunchy … um …batter, I guess. The hot oil wraps all the way around the food at like 300°-400° which makes water vaporize almost instantly. This is why you have to be careful not to overcook food when deep frying it, because it'll turn into dust like that guy in Last Crusade.
>>
That ending shot of him stacking the food and the cheese barely being melted made me gag.
>>
My breading is never thick enough. Its so annoying
>>
File: Kroket.png (442 KB, 563x413)
442 KB
442 KB PNG
>>20431387
>He doesn't know.
>>
>>20431387
Those exorbitantly wasteful, clickbait videos are just Turbo-Tarded.
But, to answer your question, Opee...
Deep frying has it's place, especially when using tallow, lard or coconut oil. The point is the oil has to be hot enough to turn the water in the food into steam, which in turn, drives the oil AWAY from the food while simultaneously cooking it.
It has limited applications, but when done correctly makes the outside of foods very crisp and crunchy, while allowing the insides to be very juicy or, in the case of potatoes or other vegetables, a satisfyingly creamy or "buttery" mouthfeel.
I'm amazed at how many people fuck up deep-frying by over cooking it. If that fat isn't still kicking out a lot of fine bubbles, the moisture is all gone from the food and as soon as you hit the critical point, the food almost instantly sucks up all that fat to replace it, making it shitty, greasy, overcooked garbage.
The other benefit is that it takes about 1/3nd the time to cook things.
The Ideal is to have a dedicated lidded pot, frying thermometer and a fat like the aforementioned ones. Seed oils and even olive oil are not only shit for your health,(at these temperatures,) but they don't impart anything of flavor value like the others.
There is honestly very little that is deep fried that can't be done well in a hot oven.
The Olive Garden even bakes off it's chicken and eggplant parms,(at least when I worked there.)
Not that that's great food, but honestly OG of the 90s was practically an all scratch kitchen.
(Breadsticks came from Orlando baking and red sauce was from a #10 can though--at least they used to make the pasta fresh.)
>>
>>20431609
Double bread it then.
If chicken:
>dredge chix in flour FIRST
>Then into the egg wash(milk/buttermilk, egg)
>into the seasoned flour/breading(bonus points if you sprinkled some of the eggwash into it first
>BACK into the egg wash
onto a clean plate or sheet try to await frying
It's best to do this right before you fry, as letting the breaded chicken sit too long allows it to dry out too much and will make it greasier.
for wet batters like tempura or beer batter, dredging the foods in cornstarch or flour first, then letting them set for ~10 minutes before battering always gave me superior results.
>Then back into the seasoned flour/breading
>>
>if only you knew how bad things really are
>>
>>20431387
That's disgusting.
>>
>>20431387>>20431391

i heated some pizza rolls in shallow oil and it gave the shell a great crispy texture and the heat within was perfect as well. tasted completely different to baked /airfry/ microwaved.
>>
>>20431387
That’s not bayashi.. fucking koreans
>>
>>20431387
He looks like a homosexual
>>
File: videoframe_32131.png (380 KB, 480x854)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
>ULTIMATE CHEESE TOASTY!
>can barely hide his disgust from eating it
I use to blame the internet, but then I realized it's people. The internet is just a window into humanity's soul. And it's pathetic.
>>
>>20437304
I hate korean youtubers
>>
>>20437304
For most of them it's just a job I guess. He made another video where he basically made the same thing without the bread and it looked unpleasant too, but it was probably one of his most popular videos and earned him the most money.
>>
>>20437319
>being dishonest for money
There use to be a word for that
>>
>>20437312
this but without the youtubers
>>
>>20437411
says more about the voyeurs giving him attention(money) for the pleasure of watching it
>>
>>20431387
>looks like cheap craft singles cheese
>isn't even melted
I can forgive everything else
>>
>>20431387
It makes them crispy
>>
>>20431607
That's a man?
>>
File: 1593748826721.webm (2.06 MB, 366x600)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB WEBM
>>20431387
You can cook things straight from frozen extremely fast. Fries that take 20 minutes to cook in the oven take just 6 or 7 in a deep fryer and the result is objectively better. And you can produce large quantites of fried food from a single batch of oil.
It's not worth it outside of a commercial setting, unless you do it outside or something. Your house will smell of frying oil and a thin layer of grime will accumulate on all the surfaces of the kitchen. It's like having a dog, everyone notices the smell except you
>>
>>20434593
would you recommend it?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.