[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (33).jpg (24 KB, 678x452)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
something I've noticed recently is that my boiled eggs are getting harder to peel. I vividly remember as a kid cracking an egg on the counter a few times, one or two rolls, and the shell would peel off in a couple of pieces. nowadays I'll crack the egg and it'll split in half in the shell, or it'll take five minutes to peel and involve having to pick off hundreds of pieces of shell and dry membrane. anyone else noticed this?
>>
>>20431489
skill issue
>>
>>20431489
Maybe its something that you can't blame on Trump you spastic faggitron. Now go back to cnn and msnbc where you'll be liked.
>>
Supply chain got better and you're getting fresher eggs.

The older an egg gets the easier it is to peel.
>>
>>20431489
me too, actually. When i was a kid i could peel eggs no problem but now i feel retarded when i do it. but yeah apparently the old thing matters? my dad made some boiled eggs, and i thought they were hard, but no, they were soft boiled. I tried shaking them around in a plastic container with a little bit of water. Only one survived
>>
>>20431489
How are you making them? It seems like more recently the advice is to start the eggs in cold water and bring it to a boil, but in my experience that makes them harder to peel. No issues when boiling the water first.
>>
Do them in a pressure cooker, then they peel nice and easy
>>
>>20431562
This fresh eggs are what you want for poaching eggs
But when it comes to boiling it’s best for them to be two weeks old imo
>>
>>20431555
Meds
>>
>>20431868
Also everyone should ajitma there eggs or pickle them
>>
>>20431829
I find high heat boiling my eggs for 6mins turning off the heat for 1-2 mins and shocking them in cold water after produces the best results
Keep I mind my egg to water ratio is pretty solid aka I don’t give them much room
If you put to much water to egg the water won’t cool down from all the eggs and you’ll have to adjust your time accordingly
>>
Just peel them submerged in a small bowl of water.
>>
>>20431489
it's the mRNA being added to the chicken feed
>>
File: EGGSTRACTOR.png (999 KB, 706x703)
999 KB
999 KB PNG
>>20431489
looks like you need the eggstractor
good luck finding one in the 2020s.
I wish I would not have got rid of mine
>>
>>20432040
You can get them off eBay for 10bucks
t. Quick google image search
>>
>>20432182
>>20432040
Product is shit https://youtu.be/jvYxlbIGlxw?si=X0IbDr-IylBlkbEu
Peeling eggs isn’t that difficult just don’t use fresh eggs
>>
>>20431555
i can't believe biden ruined my hardboiled eggs
>>
>>20432199
>old eggs
More like old wive's tale
There used to be a website that tried every possible different factor in making easy-to-peel hard-boiled eggs, they literally cooked a million eggs throughout the project
there are only two things that make eggs more likely to peel easily
Bring them to temp as quickly as possible
Shock them in ice water
That's it and it's still no guarantee
>>
>>20431886
I do essentially this but add vinegar to the water and shock them immediately after boiling. There seems to be always one or two that are hard to peel though.
>>
>>20432217
Source cause I’ve never had issues with my method and it seems allot of people struggle at this
>>
>>20432246
It was the Old Internet, shit's gone
I know there's a search engine for Old Internet archives but for the life of me I can't think of it lemme text my buddy
>>
>>20432246
Oh and IIRC they said all eggs are basically "old" eggs since they take 2-4 weeks to get to grocery stores, the only fresh eggs are ones you get straight from the hens
>>
File: 1702142568927473.jpg (185 KB, 953x939)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>20432256
>>20432262
>
>>
>>20431489
I AGREE WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?
>>20431870
You can't just blame Mediterraneans for all your problems, anon
>>
>>20432256
Probably Chowhound
>>
>>20431489
I'm gonna blow your mind.
eggs and spoons are the SAME SHAPE
This means once you get a bit of shell peeled away, you can just slip your spoon in there along the shell, and wa-la, perfect egg every time.
~*{^_^}*~
>>
>>20432320
It was strictly a hard-boiled egg testing project
They had spreadsheets you could download to analyze the data yourself
marginalia.nu <-obscure website search engine
>>
>>20432347
I'm pretty sure Cook's Illistrated did something kind of similar, but probably not as extensive.
We were definitely doing the bring to a boil, cover for 15 minutes, immediately transfer to cold water" method in the 90s when my mom heard about "the best way to cook hard boiled eggs".
>>
>>20432256
Wayback Machine, named after the time machine used by Peabody and Sherman in The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. It's literally impossible to forget this, God damn it.
>>
>>20431489
you are doing it wrong.
I bring my eggs to room temp.
boil water
add eggs
boil 6 minutes
let sit covered 6 minutes
rinse in cold water until totally cool.
95% of eggs should peel perfectly.
>>
>>20431562
sorry my dude, but age matters not. if you are having trouble peeling eggs you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>20432262
this is true.
>>
>>20432608
>boil 6 minutes
wtf
>>
>>20432217
If you're satisfied with just age. the tale was confirmed here :
https://www.mysweetketo.com/how-to-peel-hard-boiled-eggs/
>>
>>20432630
I'll stick with the guy who made a million hard-boiled eggs
Also I've played around with this myself it's bullshit I bet that guy just arranged them from bad to good for the clicks
>>
>>20431562
>older eggs peel easier
Definately this, but ive had good luck with starting my eggs in boiling water rather than starting with cold.
>>
>>20431489
That could only be a good thing. The older an egg is, the easier it is to peel.
>>
>>20432611
>t. Never peeled a fresh picked egg
Yeah. It matters. It's not like it's impossible to peel a fresh egg. It's just going to be harder.
>>
you need to get eggs one by one under running cold water
just putting them into cold water is not enough, because they just heat water around them and the temperature shock gets muted
also older eggs peel much worse in my experience, because the membrane gets fused with the white over time and it peels whites along with the shell
>>
>>20431555
My uncle was an egg. Not a joke! Uncle Eggy, he served in Viet Cong. He flew those old single prop planes. He was flying a mission over the Siera Nevada, and his plane crashed! They have a lot of cannibals down there! Never found em. We think he got cracked and fried by....uncle Eggy....he was uh......well, I've said too much. Nevermind...
>>
>>20431489
The matrix forgot what chicken is supposed to be like. I'm not even joking. There's something weird going on with every piece of chicken I've taken a bite of since 2022. It's either got too many tendons, too many veins, it's somehow undercooked despite being cooked for an adequate amount of time. There's something strange going on, don't let people try to tell you otherwise.
>>
>>20431489
There are at least 100 different brands of eggs

Buy a different one + watch a YouTube video about it
>>
>>20431489

https://old.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2xkasy/lpt_peel_a_boiled_egg_perfectly_using_a_spoon/
>>
File: 1688830818713724.png (1.12 MB, 1023x1022)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>20431489
Your eggs are too fresh. I'm not trolling. Older eggs are easier to peel.
If you ever had hens you'd know that. Eggs that were pooped out the same day are impossible to peel, you'll just destroy them trying to peel them
>>
File: steve2.jpg (102 KB, 1024x1024)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>20433177
Checked and this is true. I have chickens and this annoyed the shit out of me until I figured it out.
>>
>>20434408
Check these trips of truth
>>20432777

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.