[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I would love to go to Japan, eat some raw fish and rice. Thing is, I never learned to use sticks. Would the natives accept me pulling out a fork and use that?
>>
>>20433066
>Would the natives accept me pulling out a fork and use that?
if you're not a jap born in japland then they'll never accept you.
>>>/a/
go back to your containment board, weeb
>>
File: aioshop_20230313-2673.jpg (55 KB, 900x900)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>20433066
Buy this and start training.
>>
>>20433068
OK, that makes a lot of sense. Do they also know sarcasm in Japanland?
>>
>>20433066

Most white people can't really use chopsticks and the Japanese know this. Almost any restaurant in a city will be able to accomodate your needs, just ask the server or chef "fork please" / フォークプリーズ.

Also specifically for sushi you are expected to eat it with your hands, not はし.

All that said, I strongly recommend just learning before you go. In preparation of my first trip there I took a course on Japanese cuisine and table manners, so as not to waste any of the experience and also to not accidentally offend anyone while I was there.
>>
>>20433081

They do not.

The Japanese are very literal, and making jokes of any kind are frowned upon unless you are a young child.
>>
>>20433066
Nips famously love white people. They even have a term of reverence for us: Gaijin.
>>
>>20433255
They like word play though
いくらはいくらですか
>>
>>20433260

Some people seem to think it's almost a slur but gajin / 外人 is actually very neutral, neither positive nor negative.

Specifically white people are 白人. 外人 is anyone who's not Japanese, even including other Asians.
>>
>>20433271

Children and young couples, yes. It is completely unacceptable behavior among respectable adults.
>>
>>20433280
These are ojiichan jokes and you know it
マイケルジャクソンの好きな色は何ですか。

青!
>>
File: best-comedian.jpg (81 KB, 1200x630)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>20433255
>>20433280
Holy shit, this anon has never set foot on Japan. They love their fucking お笑い芸人 there.
>>
>>20433326

I have been to Japan gour times, actually. And not just as a tourist, I have lived and experienced actual Japanese daily life.

>They love their fucking お笑い芸人 there.

Yes, comedians exist. It is not nearly as popular as it is in the west, though, and comedians pretty much resign their ability to climb up the societal hierarchy as soon as they start engaging in that line of work.

>>20433307

I can assure you most Japanese would not find that particularly funny.
>>
>>20433360
>I have lived and experienced actual Japanese daily life.
No, you didn't. If you did, you would know that cracking jokes isn't ostracized there.

>It is not nearly as popular as it is in the west
What kind of bullshit is this? They are in everything: TV shows, food, commercials, Youtube, they even go to provinces to do shows. What else they need to do to be "nearly as popular as it is in the west"?
>>
>>20433378

The "comedians" you see on TV do not make jokes. They are popular because they often have interesting and/or entertaining views on matters of the world; their humor is not the kind that makes you laugh, but rather catches your interest and attention.
>>
>>20433378
You will never be Japanese.
>>
>>20433394
>The "comedians" you see on TV do not make jokes.
Now this is blatant shitposting right here.

>>20433396
Too bad I never claimed to be Japanese nor do I want to become one.
>>
Eating sushi and seafood in Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcSROW8Hsk&list=PLDtARzDhPZvVqkttMK2y7DV9xCTag6hiW&index=1
>>
>>20433307
his favorite color was blue?
is that some pedo reference?
I don't get it. explain to gaijin pureezu
>>
>>20433066
They will treat you funny no matter what you do. Just live your life. Go there if it's your desire, and stop dreaming of the issues you'll face.
>>
>>20433078
What colour to get?
>>
>>20433066
>Would the natives accept
Fuck are they gonna do? Especially japanese, who are famous for being non-confrontional pussies? Sure they will have a low opinion of you because they're also famous for being bug people that couldn't go against established rules and practises to save their lives, but again, who cares?

That said, not knowing how to use chopsticks if you plan to go to Japan is pretty fucking cringe. I didn't know how to for the longest time, learned within 10 minutes when i needed to. It tells people you're retarded.
>>
File: C0aI7QmUQAEapba.jpg (134 KB, 750x867)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>I have been to Japan gour times, actually. And not just as a tourist, I have lived and experienced actual Japanese daily life.
>>
>>20433817
I think the joke is that blue is "ao!" like the sound michael jackson makes.
>>
File: m81474796757_4.jpg (108 KB, 1080x1080)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
The use of chopsticks is an application of the use of a pen.
If you can hold a pen correctly, you can use chopsticks easily.
>>
>>
>>20434069
You got it

パンダの好きな餌は?

パンだ。
>>
>>20434024
I don't look like this, but I wish I did
>>
>>20433068
All of this is easily & instantly fixed when you simply do not care about what strangers you don’t know think. This doesn’t just go for Japan either. Imagine going to a small village that you could easily conquer and take over if you wanted to but instead worrying about what some of the people there think. Makes 0 sense. You should be walking around that place feeling like a king while the natives kiss your feet, thanking you for letting them keep their home.
>>
>>20433910
>>20436074
crinj
>>
>>20433378
I agree with this anon, others dont seem to know that the M1 grand prix (a competiton for comedy duos) is consistently the most watched TV show during christmas day in japan.
>>
>>20436124
Stop stuttering and try again boy.
>>
>>20433068
>if you're not a jap born in japland then they'll never accept you
Super true. You can be born there, speak fluent Japanese, well versed and naturalized into the culture, but if you're not Japanese, you'll only ever be a dog with tricks to them.
So just do as you please, and don't be a giant douchebag like that streamer who got arrested recently.
>>
>>20433066
I'd say just eat it with your hands. I see a lot of older Asian people doing that when I go to sushi and Japanese restaurants. I do it myself sometimes when I don't feel like using chopsticks.
Of course, try not to be too messy.
>>
>>20433255
>making jokes of any kind are frowned upon
ESL moment
>>
>>20433425
ok of you've never been to Japan and don't want to be Japanese then why are you lying on 4chan about Japanese customs

the only thing I can think of is that you were brown or black and naps hated you for your skin color. japs love tall whites and are super friendly to jokes.
>>
>>20433066
>eat some raw fish and rice
nasty
>>
Japanese have a pretty high tolerance for stupid Gaijin breaking etiquette as long as it's not actually annoying (being noisy, actively rude etc)
>>
>>20437345

My apologies.

I was quite inebriated at the moment of writing that post; I hope you will forgive me for that.

English is my native language, but sometimes I feel like it shouldn't be. Languages like Japanese have an elusive nature to them that posit them to be far superior as means of communication; this I feel strongly. My knowledge of said language might influence the way I type.

In this instance I was mistaken on pronoun plural, often not found within Japanese. There is no actual reason to differentiate thr way we do in English considering the meaning is carried across regardless; oke might consider this a fault of the language that (many) other languages approach in a much more sensible manner.
>>
>>20437979
This may be the most advanced case of early onset weeb I've ever seen.
>>
>>20438084

You know what? That's completely fine by me. I no longer feel any allegiance to America as a nation, and if that makes me a weeb then so be it.

There are far superior ways to organize society. There are far more sensible, advanced cultures out there. The notion that the west is somehow superior is ridiculous at best.
>>
People always talk about the Japanese being cold or something, but honestly I found them very friendly. I lived with a host family and travelled around as an exchange student, and basically everywhere people were nice and interested in talking with me. Sure you're seen as an outsider, but that's true of any country except the US
>>
>>20437979
Fuck off chatgpt
>>
>>20439038

Good luck making ChatGPT write things critical of the US.
>>
File: 1463328415974.jpg (24 KB, 329x297)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>20433066
I'm from a SEA country and I've always used chopsticks growing up, it never occurred to me that westerners can't use them. Once at a sushi place in Japan I burst out laughing when I saw this lady trying to lift a piece to her mouth with trembling hands! Rude but I couldn't help it. I had to look away immediately because I'm a non-confrontational pussy but I caught the embarrassed look on her face.
>>
>>20433066
Sushi is a finger food and chopsticks for rice is fucking stupid
>>
File: 1713100701585237.webm (3.62 MB, 1280x720)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB WEBM

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.