[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iffy.jpg (156 KB, 1275x757)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Where do you primarily buy your groceries? Big chains like Kroger and Tesco? Ethnic market run by immigrants? Mom and pop stores? Is there a reason to prefer one over the others?
>>
>>20433209
i don't have a primary place, my trips are all dependent on the coupons that i have
>>
>>20433316
People still use coupons? Thought they died out with the Dodo.
>>
>>20433328
So you don't know
>>
>>20433328
yes, and some people still cook at home instead of buying mcdonalds
>>
>>20433209
There's a Smith's by me that is essentially just Kroger, and then a Vons that is essentially just Safeway. The only other nearby option is Whole Foods, and... nah.

Smith's/Kroger has better prices but is a fucking shitshow at all hours. I fucking hate it there, it's always packed, feels dirty, and people almost always nearly hit my car. Vons is way more expensive but much more chill.

There's really no local shit.
>>
>>20433209
Biedronka, Lidl, Carrefour and my local warzywniak (vegetable store)
>>
File: couponer.jpg (330 KB, 1280x720)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>20433366
I cook at home but can't remember the last time I saw a real coupon. Guess I should have known they still exist because there are those extreme couponing shows on tv. It just seems like something from a era long ago.
>>
>>20433410
It's funny how relative it can be. When I lived in Agoura, Vons was the dirtbag store and Pavilions was the nice but expensive store. Even though they were both part of the same company, there was some social strata evident in which store you shopped at.
>>
>>20433473
try picking up the free magazines that you can find at stores, that's where i get most of my coupons. the deals you find online are also technically coupons if you have to redeem it at checkout
>>
File: gays.png (16 KB, 349x96)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>20433209
I've seen better looking grocery stores in africa wtf usa?!
>>
Nowhere "primarily." Different stores for different things. Produce from the green grocer at my corner and Vietnamese supermarket chain, meat from the Italian, Arab and Mexican butcher shops, packaged shit from Safeway, ShopRite etc and absolute junk from Grocery Outlet.
>>
>>20433478
Where I used to live, there's an Acme (a Safeway/Albertsons store for that area) directly across from a Whole Foods. You can stand outside and accurately guess who's going to which store based on various factors. Generally, WF shoppers are better dressed and more attractive.
>>
>>20433209
Normally I go to Food Lion, but yesterday they were swamped with normies buying "eclipse food" for the second eclipse tomorrow. The parking lot was so full I just turned around and went home and I'm not going to watch the second eclipse in protest.
>>
>>20433794
Nigga, I live in Food Lion country: what the fuck eclipse are you talking about?
>>
>>20433209
RIP Jiffy
>>
File: grocery outlet.jpg (66 KB, 960x960)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>20433209
mostly from here. hella cheaper than the Von's/Ralphs chains.
also farmers markets for vegetables - they last a lot longer and are in better condition
Asian grocery stores once in a while for stuff you can't get elsewhere
and Indian stores once in a blue moon. dot not feather
>>
>>20433760
It's Atlanta so basically Africa anyway.
>>20433814
Imagine most would assume dot, not feather when you mention Indian food. Don't think I've ever seen a feather Indian grocery store. I assume they exist on reservations but have no idea what would be in them.
>>
prisma
>>
>>20433209
We primarily shop at Ralphs and Costco. Most of what we get a Ralphs is perishable stuff for the week like meat, fish, fruit and veggies. Sometimes we hit Aldi or Super King, and occasionally ethnic places like 99 Ranch. But the regular Saturday shopping trip is to Ralphs.
>>
File: 12 Mile Rd and Mound.jpg (163 KB, 1024x622)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>20433209

Michigan here, so Meijers of course. I used to also stop in at Oakridge if I only needed a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk as despite the higher cost, it was much quicker but they went out of business.
>>
>>20433209
Coles since it's what I've been going to for over 15 years. Sometimes woolies since it's on the way home from work.
>>
>marta bus stop
lmao
no
>>
>>20433209
In SLC the grocery stores are called Smiths and that's wear I would go primarily. However, within walking distance of my apartment was a small mexican grocery store that I would go to all the time to get chorizo and carnitas. They also had these frozen strawberry popsicles that were really good and the place was right next to the park so me and my gf would get a couple of those and chill at the park.

I went to the mexican place more than smiths since it was considerably closer. My GF speaks fluent spanish so it's not that big of a deal.
>>
>>20433328
Fuck yes
Kroger sends me coupons all the time for shit I buy regularly
Free monies
>>
>>20434347
I went to Meijer for the first time recently, on a trip to the midwest. It's a cool place. Didn't look around long enough to get a sense for the overall prices of things, but prices in the midwest are lower than they are here across the board anyway.
>>
>>20434347
I judge whether or not a person has a soul depending if they say “Meijer” or “Meijers.” You failed.
>>
>>20433209
in my texas city we only have HEB, walmart, target for groceries. walmart/heb is the standard for groceries but I never go to walmart because I don't like/trust them. If I go to walmart for food items i'm spending below thirty dollars, and picking out items I can't get at HEB. I also feel like i'm more likely to get shot at walmart by a mass shooter person so fuck all that bullshit.
>>
>>20434584
You don't have Central Market where you live? Shame. It's a great store. You wouldn't buy your Lucky Charms there, but it's terrific for meat and produce.
>>
>>20434584
HEB is goat, but yeah, w*lmart and t*rget are fucking terrible for groceries. Actually they're terrible for everything, but that's a topic for another thread. I'm pretty spoiled for choice where I live
>HEB
>Central Market
>Market street
>Sprouts
>whole foods
>kroger
>tom thumb
>albertsons
>trader joes
>aldi
>a bunch of different asian groceries
>mexican grocery stores
>general euro grocery
>a fucking turkish grocery
>a fucking russian grocery
>probably indian and arab grocery stores because they're fucking everywhere here but I haven't actually noticed one yet
etc. in the end I just go to HEB because I like good stuff but I'm also a cheap cunt.
>>
>>20433209
Most of my grocery trips consist of Aldi, a local chain for stuff like beef, and Wally world.
>>
>>20434680
I've been trying to get into Aldi for a while cause the prices are definitely right, but gosh I find the stores depressing.
>>
>>20433209
In this order:
Fry's because I use my brothers card so he can get fuel points.
Asian market to buy stuff you can't get anywhere else.
Costco.
Smart & final.

there are no mom and pop stores in my city.
>>
>>20433209
yeah thats not an ai generated image at all
>>
>>20433209
Albertsons/Safeway
Walmart
Whole Foods
a local co-op mainly for top tier cheeses
>>
File: yB7Vadp.jpg (208 KB, 447x458)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>
>>20434402
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTuYo6HmiQ&t=60
>>20434429
One of my swarthy friends swears he gets a discount when shopping at Hispanic markets due to his dark complexion.
>>20434584
Walmart has shit quality produce. Some locations have a permanent fruit fly infestation. I might pick up a few shelf stable items it I'm already there but fresh stuff isn't so fresh.
>>20435022
Google Street View
>>
>>20433209
Jungle Jim's international market.
>>
>>20435147
>Google Street View
oh yeah google definitely would never fake anything, they dont even have the means to
>>
File: iffy grocery.jpg (1.02 MB, 2041x1361)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>20435022
You'll be happy to know it has been torn down and replaced with yuppie townhomes for liberal white folks who love blacks so much that they gentrify them out of the city.
https://www.redfin.com/GA/Atlanta/1160-Ormewood-Ave-SE-30316/unit-1/home/187195498
>>
>>20435158
Pretending to be retarded is no different than being retarded.
>>
>>20434711
Lidl is like an Aldi with music. The lack of music at Aldi gives it a depressive feeling
Also, what you're not paying for in money you'll be paying for in quality: while neither Aldi nor Lidl were great quality to begin with, Aldi's quality had dropped precipitously in the last five years while Lidl has stayed closer to what it was.
>>
5-10 years go I did most of my shopping in Aldi, but it's really not that much cheaper any more. I mostly shop in Sainsbury's now as it's directly on my route to work and has better range.
>>
>>20433328
I don't know why they still exist in USA. Every other market setting has found they're less effective at attracting custom than sending out catalogues advertising flash discounts, but somehow in USA coupons are still found to be effective. Coupons should only make sense for fast food with a delivery service, because they add incentive to retain the pamphlet with their menu and phone number, and even that is almost redundant thanks to the internet.
>>
>>20435248
>The lack of music at Aldi gives it a depressive feeling
Really... So it's not the carton of half-rotten onions spilling onto the floor, the 4-foot tall illegal women trying on knockoff crocs in the shitshow aisle, or the cashiers rolling their eyes because grandma doesn't understand how the carts work?
>>
>>20435277
No, because I've been to several different Aldi stores in different countries and continents and I've never seen anything even remotely similar to what you're bullshittingly describing.
It's the lack of music
>>
File: Winn Dixie.jpg (84 KB, 900x506)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Aldi is buying Winn-Dixie, which seems like a huge cultural mismatch. Also the typical Winn-Dixie is twice as large as the typical Aldi which makes me wonder how they'll convert them.
>>
>>20433209
Normally
>walmart
It's the closest and it's basically fine for normal milk, eggs, flour type of staple shit plus obviously any chips etc junk you can imagine. If I'm looking for something specific and weird I'll go to the Fresh Thyme which larps as a farmers market type of store, isn't really but it has better produce and some harder to find weird herbs and stuff. Otherwise
>chinkmart
Gotta have my asahi super dry, premade sushi, and gook noodles for friday night
>>
>>20435594
Not him but I can confirm that half of the onions in any given bag are rotting or mere days away from it.
>>
HEB
Randall's
Central Market

simple as
>>
>>20435625
They might not butter "converting" then and will instead shut them down entirely. Aldi bought Bottom Dollar in 2013 or 2014 or so and just shut them all down.
>>
>>20435637
I've had that problem with onions I've bought from Ralphs recently too. Get them home and store them in the usual way and in about two days they're looking and smelling like they're going off. It's really gotten on my nerves. It's a pain in the ass, but I'm going to have to start hitting the farmers markets again.
>>
>>20433789
Its kind of sad us normal white people dont have just local butcher shops anymore.
>>
>>20433814
i cant imagine shopping at grocery outlet primarily, they constantly change their inventory
i find something i like and then its gone the next week
>>
>>20433209
Lidl for basics, trader joe's for a few specifics
>>
>>20433209
Saturday morning farmers market. I go for the food but hopefully one day ill find my wife at one.
>>
>>20433209
Fred Meyer which is owned by Kroger. Simply because I live an hour away from any grocery store and it's slightly the closest. Also gas points. Used to go to Winco but got tired of all of the Somalians there.
>>
>>20433209
sometimes at one of the local chinese owned stores and sometimes at some mini mart owned by a chain owned by wallmart, there's also some weird iraqui owned store that sells all kinds of stuff but also groceries, mostly products you don't usually see in my country.
>>
File: wilkes.jpg (176 KB, 1224x1224)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>20436243
Are you sure? I lived in a small mountain town and we had a butcher. Now I live in a suburb of a large city and there's a butcher here too. Probably aren't everywhere but you might have one and not even know about it.
>>
>>20436243
There are literally 6 butchers in my small city not counting the ones in the Mexican grocery store and the one on the Asian grocery store and I'm in northern Utah. It doesn't get much whiter
>>
File: o69aco7LGe1s02vreo2.gif (1.84 MB, 500x281)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB GIF
>>20433209
publix
kroger
aldis
pick your poison
>>
File: publix.jpg (117 KB, 960x639)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>20436379
Depends on what kind of job I have at the time. Publix is more expensive than the other two but stores are clean, well laid out, and checkout is generally quick. BOGO deals are nice but you have to keep in mind that whatever is BOGO is already marked up.
>>
>>20436342
my former local butcher got killed because he took a stray bullet from a gang-related incident while driving through the wrong part of town
>>
Anyone have an Ingles? It's that or Piggly Wiggly around here. Both are heinously expensive, and the pig is 90% canned and boxed items plus a meat section. Ingles at least carries an impressive selection considering the location (for instance, I never seen marmite for sale anywhere else) but I'll spend like $120+ for a few bags of groceries, .
>>
>>20436243
I'm that guy and while we do have a handful of "normal white people" butcher shops here, they're overpriced to fuck and back and many do some absolutely criminal things to their sausages. Fuck you, apple, raisins and cinnamon do not belong in a sausage. Niggas be eatin' oatmeal cookie sausages and shit.
I'd go to the Polish, Russian or Bulgarian butchers if I lived in Slavtown but they're a bit out of the way for me. Same with the Irish butcher shop.
What I do miss is abattoirs. I moved to the US from yurp where neighbourhood abattoirs/wet markets/tiny slaughterhouses are common. Here, they're all owned by Chinese or Mexicans. I can deal with the Mexican ones but Chinese wet markets are disgusting. They constantly get shut down for health code violations then inexplicably reopen somehow. There's that one in Philadelphia that made national headlines a few years ago for being the most disgusting food store ever, for example.
>>
>>20433760
>wtf why doesn't this low budget corner store owned by some guy look like a franchise with millions of dollars to spare?!?!
>>20436243
Go to a true supermarket or a full-service grocery store. They have a butcher shop inside.
>>
>>20436964
A man in my town died from a tree branch falling on him. It was a calm sunny day but the branch just happened to break off and fall on him the exact moment he was passing under it. Sometimes the universe just decides it's time for you to go.
>>
I would go to my local HEB more often if it isn't packed out of the asshole 24/7. Never been able to find a single parking space unless I'm ditching work at the middle of the day to go home.
>>
>>20438423
Try first thing in the morning. On our shopping day, the missus or I (or both) go as soon as shops open. I usually encounter neat critters out that early, like owls.
>>
kuhn's. aldi for certain things. aldi is great for vegetables, dirt cheap
>>
>>20433209
>Chef's Store for most meat
>Fred Meyer for most produce
>Costco for miscellaneous stuff
>>
>>20433209
grim
Bomb Ass bbq and head tho probably?
>>
Dom's and Foxtrot. Except both just closed and declared bankruptcy this week. I now live in a grocery desert with restaurants but no grocery stores for miles. It'll be Whole Foods delivery for me until somebody fills the gap.
>>
>>20435153
Haven't been in years even though it's only like an hour from here. How's it held up?
>>
>>20435625
FWIW Aldi did NOT purchase the SEG hispanic branded Fresco's
A lot of Harvey's branded stores in the SE will be converted to Aldi
>>
>most groceries
Trader Joe's/Walmart
>seafood
Publix
>other meat
Local grocer
The only other groceries in the city are Whole Foods (lol) and Target
>>
File: 1514926906980.jpg (167 KB, 1194x654)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>20433209
I only shop the best
>>
>>20440529
>grocery desert
My neighbourhood was declared one of those a few years ago despite having NEARLY TWO DOZEN FULL SERVICE SUPERMARKETS within two miles of me.
The nearest one, some "HoLiStIc" place, is literally at my corner. I don't understand what criteria makes something a "food/grocery desert."
>>
>>20440808
I think I remember reading it's got to do with prices as well as proximity. Like if you lived in a neighborhood where a Whole Foods was the only supermarket in a two-mile radius or something, that might qualify as a food desert.
>>
>>20440821
That's the thing: two of those supermarkets are Aldis and a third is a Grocery Outlet.
And seriously, if you can't find a good deal on ham or whatever out of two dozen supermarkets, you're just a retard (not you specifically, anon; I'm sure you're not retarded, I'm just using the rhetorical "you").
The holistic one at my corner is indeed overpriced, tho, but literally nobody shops there and I have absolutely no Idea how it stays in business. I swear, it's got to be a money laundering front somehow.
If I can get chicken tits for $2/lb and bok choy for 69¢/lb about a half mile from my house, this area is not a food dessert.
>>
>>20440834
Oh I'm totally retarded, but I appreciate your clarifying anyway. :-)
>>
File: desert.png (191 KB, 899x789)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>20440808
Activists were insisting that a government food market be located at the star on this map because they said it was a food desert. You can see there's a Publix a block and a half away but there's a small hill so it doesn't count. They didn't get their way and in the end it became apartments but they had no shame in calling it a desert despite there being a full service grocery store right there.
>>
The only decent option where I live is a Smart and Final, so that's where I shop. There's the Kroger chain Ralph's (fuck Kroger), mini-Walmart, Albertson's (quality to price ratio is horrible), Sprouts (everything is super pricey here), and Trader Joes and Aldi (tiny shops dominated by packaged foods, nothing for people who actually cook and pay attention to unit costs). There's also two Indian grocers nearby that are excellent for rice, lentils, tea, spices, and such as you'd expect, but sadly don't offer much in the way of fresh produce, and one Persian grocer that's disappointing (expensive, bought tea there twice and it was weirdly stale both times).
>>
Albertson's and Trader Joe's (Arizona)

I miss H-E-B so much I might move back to Texas
>>
>>20435666
>Central Market
Holy keyed...
>>
>>20433209
Safeway because they generally have the best prices near my home. Sometimes I go to winco for specific things I want cheap like shrimp.
>>
>>20442719
There are so many dang Indians in my area, including my wife, that a local supermarket chain has started carrying private label Indian packaged ingredients. I don't know if any other supermarket chains that carry their own brand of mustard oil mango pickles, for example. And I thought mustard oil was illegal in America to begin with, so the fact that they carry this stuff at all is doubly surprising.
>>
>>20443046
>The U.S. Food and Drug Administration prohibits the import or sale of expressed mustard oil in the U.S. for use in cooking due to its high erucic acid content. By contrast, the FDA has classified essential mustard oil, which has a much lower erucic acid content, as generally recognized as safe, and allows its use in food. Expressed mustard oil is permitted in the U.S. as a massage oil, with a required "for external use only" label.
>>
>>20443249
Exactly my point. Yet I can go to ShopRite and buy Bowl&Basket (the store brand) mustard oil pickles. Go fucking figure.
>>
>>20433209
>MARTA
Shit, this is my town, I gotta get away from Atlanta. Anyway for me it's Publix, they often have BOGOs on things I like and there's usually multiple cashiers with baggers unlike Kroger where it's usually just one cashier and no baggers.
>>
>>20433209
>Where do you primarily buy your groceries?
Costco
>meat
>pantry staples (flour, rice, canned tomatoes, etc.)
>cheese (Parmesan, pecorino, etc.)
[Regional chain] (Publix/HEB/Ingles)
>fruit and vegetables
>milk and yogurt
Trader Joe's
>cheese
>frozen entrees/sides
>>
>>20433209
Ralphs (Kroger) and Vons (Safeway), as well as Costco. Been doing Ralphs the most lately because my local one recently took over a nearby gas station and it's massively cheaper than anywhere else if you have points, as much as a buck less than the Shell across the street which is a pretty big deal when the average price around here is like $5.50 for regular and I drive a truck.

>>20433410
Huh, I didn't know there was anywhere that had Vons but not Ralphs.

>>20433478
I'm in a relatively nice area so both Ralphs and Vons are semi-upscale in my area, but there's an even nicer Pavillions that I rarely go to because it's 90% the same stuff as Vons but more expensive and it's kinda out of the way for me.

>>20433814
>Asian grocery stores once in a while for stuff you can't get elsewhere
This too, both Japanese (Mitsuwa) and Chinese (99 Ranch.) Annoyingly I'm in a deadzone where Asian markets are all 30+ minutes away from me.
>>
>>20444182
thanks for putting a nigga onto mitsuwa
bouta check em out when im in sj in a few days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFdE__2OKc8&t=38
>>
>>20443818
The use essential not expressed mustard oil which is why they're legal.
>>
File: piggly wiggly.png (359 KB, 960x632)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
Piggly Wiggly
There is no need for anywhere else.
>>
I drive past a Krogers and Publix on my way to and from work; therefore, I buy my shit there. Ain't got time to drive an additional 30+ minutes to go somewhere else.
>>
>>20446119
>Dan Levy inspecting potential surrogates for his doomspawn
>>
>>20445692
I haven't been to the SJ one in years, but if they've still got a Santouka Ramen in the food court part it's 100% worth getting too, part of an actual Japanese chain and IMO some of the best ramen in the US period.
>>
>>20438423
I just get curbside since it doesn't cost extra DESU.
>>
i buy all of my groceries at weis because they werent covid cucks. used go spread it out with 3 other stores but i will never forgive them. especially wegmans
>>
>>20447087
i dont buy nearly enough mass produced shelf stable "food" to justify an online order.
>>
>>20447112
I don't know what you mean, I buy fruits, meats, dairy, etc via curbside. Your order can be as small as 1 item too.
>>
>>20447122
i mean im not going to let someone else pick out my perishables. not only because they are lazy filthy retards but because I am particular about size, ripeness, and time to spoilage.
for example id prefer 3 small onions to 1 fuck ass huge one.
>>
>>20435625
Are the germans gonna have a second wave of cultural influence on America again?
>>
>>20447133
they already own trader joes. they might change some suppliers but the general model will be unchanged
this will continue until Aldi overtakes Alberstons and then some yet unknown chinese or brazillan company will repeat the process.
>>
>>20433209
>potatoes, milk, butter, yoghurt, fresh cheese
Directly from farmers, far better produce and 75% cheaper
>fish
From the fishmonger at the weekly market. He goes to the harbour at 4 AM, I buy at 7AM. Far better produce, at 1/10th to half the price.
>meat
I have 5 butchers near me each with their own speciality: lamb, beef, offal, rabbit and poultry/game. They're expensive but way better. I get my cured meats in Italy (10-30% cheaper, far better quality) and my minced lamb from the Halal butcher (50% cheaper, same quality).
>herbs, edible flowers, spices, vanilla, oils, vinegars
I grow or collect my own herbs and edible flowers. Everything else I buy in several shops for Michelin* restaurants, or from a Michelin* chef whose side-job is selling the best spice crops the world has to offer. Costly (4,5...200x more costly) but infinitely better.
>chocolate and vegetables
I buy directly from 2 bio farmers and one young lady who searches the early market (where shop owners go to buy their stuff) for exceptional goods. I pay 20% more and get 100% better taste.
>wine
Same places where I buy spices. They know their shit. And a wine shop that's been around for 200 years. They filtered out the garbage by now. I have a shop that specializes in Barolo, old Bourgogne and independent Champagne producers, run by a 76 year old guy. And a shop run by 2 ***Michelin sommeliers.
>beer
I live near Westvleteren. Or I go to my cousin who lives south of Brussels. In between I have a shop with 3k (give or take) different beers.
>fruit
Fruit is shit. I grow my own raspberries and apples. I get pears, prunes, strawberries and cherries from 2 of my vegetable suppliers. I have a mate who grows 120-ish tomato varieties, that's cool. Most fruit nowadays is just bland, overpriced, forced-grown garbage.
>bread
I make my own or I buy from the Jewish bakery nearby. They're fantastic and contrary to legend just as affordable as most supermarkets.
>>
>>20447183
That's nice.
>>
>>20440557
He's made some improvements, is currently adding to it actually. You have to know what to shop for there though, a lot of "normal" items are priced kind of high. COVID pushed his prices up like everywhere else.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.