[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lentils.jpg (82 KB, 1200x1200)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I am trying to eat as cheaply, simply, and easily as possible, while having good nutrition.
I am currently doing lentils and bread (made with enriched flour, eggs, yeast, salt, small amount of ascorbic acid) am I going to die of some horrible nutrient deficiency? Is there anything I need to add?
>>
>>20436792
Rice, Beans, Eggs, Bananas. Easy
>>
>>20436792
i hope you're not adding the vitamin C into the lentils. boiling breaks it down.
the only thing you listed that contains fat are the eggs. you might want to do something about that.
maybe olive oil or some other good vegetable oil. don't skimp on the oil, a bottle costs a lot of money, but also lasts a very long time, and is actually kinda cheap if you compare the cost per calorie.
and maybe toss some vegetables in there, just to be safe. some mirepoix goes well with lentils, or most stews, really.
>>
>>20436792
There are nutritional calculators that can tell you what you might be deficient in. But you usually have to pay to get all the information. You could look up the ingredients and do the calculations yourself. It doesn't sound like you'll become so deficient that you die, although I think you need more vitamin C at the very least like the other poster said. But you're probably getting less than optimal amounts of a few things with that diet.
>>
>>20436792
Some fruits and vegetables would be good. Bananas, oranges, cabbage, frozen spinach, carrots
>>
>>20436792
You need vitamin C if that's what you are going to eat. In any case I'd pick another staple instead of bread, potatoes for example would really bump up the nutrients and give you the vitamin C you need
>>
>>20436872
>potatoes for example would really bump up the nutrients and give you the vitamin C you need
Only if you eat them raw
>>
>>20436847
i add a bit of ascorbic acid to my bread dough, i presume that will also fuck it, i didn't know that. Maybe I should just have it straight. Will try and implement some oil.

Will also try and implement some vegetables and fruits, thank you everyone for your input, I've been trying to figure this out but nutritional info seems very hard to get direct answers on
>>
>>20436884
Nope.
>>
>>20436792
Iodine, selenium, magnesium, calcium. Humans are meant to eat a variety of foods, if your going to limit the variety at least take a multivitamin
>>
>>20436888
They don't have much vitamin C to start with and any way you cook them leaks or destroys the vitamin C
>>
>>20436892
It doesnt, and a normal size potato have oebr 30% of your daily C. The nutrients listed on labels and in food databases take into account cooking, uncooked potatoes are indigestible, its all resistant starch, you would get 0 calories from an uncooked potato. I know you are truing to seem smart but you are incorrect. People have lived onnpotaotes for extended periods of time, both out of necessity and in deliberate scientific studies which drew blood and took stats. I'm not going to argue with you.
>>
>>20436884
Boiling vegetables and then throwing the water away is what destroys/removes most of the vitamin C. If you drink the liquid or cook them any other way you're still getting a good amount of the vitamin C.
>>
>>20436903
Hes just trying to sound intelligent. Ignore him, hes just objectively wrong
>>
>>20436901
Resistant starch isnt 0 calories, it gets turned into scfa's by gut bacteria. 2.5 calories per gram as opposed to 4 in regular starches.
>>
>>20436901
This is just incorrect, and obviously I wasn't saying to eat raw potatoes, I was saying only a raw potato would have appreciable levels of vitamin C. That is true.
>>
>>20436907
No, its wrong, and everything that was said was correct, you can literally look at history and in the scientific literature. but ok man, die on this hill
>>20436905
Its a different metabolic pathway, the acids directly absorbed in the gut, they can't be stored or used in glycolytic conversation. They aren't esterified and stored as fat in any context, in essence its 0 calories. You can argue technicalities but its generally accurate
>>
>>20436911
>No, its wrong, and everything that was said was correct, you can literally look at history and in the scientific literature. but ok man, die on this hill
Your bizarre dogmatism about this puts you at a disadvantage from the start
>>
File: nutrition-label.png (206 KB, 640x1661)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
>>20436907
>This is just incorrect
Its correct
>>
>>20436913
>resorts to ad hom
Concession accepted
>>
>>20436911
>its a different metabolic pathway, the acids directly absorbed in the gut, they can't be stored or used in glycolytic conversation. They aren't esterified and stored as fat in any context, in essence its 0 calories. You can argue technicalities but its generally accurate

You have no idea what youre talking about. Embarrassing.
>>
File: potato.jpg (108 KB, 239x826)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>20436913
That's a raw potato. When it cook it, it leaks out most of the vitamin C.
>>
>>20436903
this one sounds about right.
unless you boil them much longer than you need to, or discard the water after boiling, the vitamin C should remain mostly intact (but only mostly)
raw is still better for foods that can be eaten raw. citrus juice for example adds a nice amount of acidity to lentils, beans, rice if you add it before boiling, but you also kill some of the vitamin C, which you paid good money for, so adding it after the boiling or having it separate from the boiled food can be more efficient.
>>
>>20436934
>citrus juice for example adds a nice amount of acidity to lentils, beans, rice if you add it before boiling
Have to be careful with that because dry lentils and beans won't soften properly in acidic liquid.
>>
>>20436945
I didn't know that, but it's never been a problem with red lentils for me.
Probably matters for every other lentil with a proper outer skin though. Red lentils are good at turning into mush, even if i season the water before putting in the lentils, which you also shouldn't do because it prevents them from soaking up the water.
i only used lime juice on cooked (canned) beans, boiling dried beans in lime juice until they're tender will 100% destroy every single vitamin molecule in the pot.
>>
>>20436928
>>20436914
>>
>>20436948
Apparently acid toughens the fiber so it might not be as much of an issue with red lentils since they're small and fall apart easily in the first place.

>even if i season the water before putting in the lentils, which you also shouldn't do because it prevents them from soaking up the water.
Are you talking about salt? I'm not sure why that information gets shared so much as it's actually not true. Tests have showed salt made for more tender beans. The best beans I make have a good amount of salt added at the beginning, they have a better texture and it flavors the inside of the bean as it soaks up the salty water. I only ever had trouble when adding acidic ingredients to the liquid.
>>
File: IMG_20200316_1557481.jpg (3.56 MB, 4056x2704)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>20436792
I like to get that big pack of breakfast sausage at Costco, i will oven roast them, cut them up, portion, and whenever i make lentils, i toss in a cup of sausage... good times.
>>20436847
This, fat and protein are important. I would consider getting a giant bottle of gelatin, and would eat 10g of gelatin/day. For fat, i would splurge on good olive oil, and coconut oil. Oil is something i don't save on...
try finding a local grain supplier... you can get 10 kilo bags of shit for the price of 1kg at grocery stores.
>>
>>20437163
gelatin is an incomplete protein
>>
It's not that hard to eat a handful of good protein, vegetables (even frozen mix or something) and good amount of oil. Add some carbs to suit your fitness level.
Don't complicate things.
>>
>>20436928
>without skin
there's your problem idiot, shut up
>>
>>20436847
Hipster cooklet detected
>>
>>20436792
>as cheap as possible
Dried beans, brown rice, and a bottle of multivitamins.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.