[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.png (173 KB, 807x510)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
What are some of the more common elitist/snobby opinions when it comes to food? Things like "chili can't have beans" or hotdogs can't have ketchup" or "crunchy tacos aren't real tacos."
>>
>elitism is le bad
>>
>>20437703
Pretty much anything anybody has ever said about carbonara.
>>
>>20437703
>What are some of the more common elitist/snobby opinions when it comes to food?
I hate packaged/powdered/concentrated broth, it all tastes like garbage. I make my own out of Costco Rotisserie chickens and it makes every soup and gravy and sauce better.
>>
>>20437703
Using a recipe isn't really "cooking", it's just following instructions because someone other than you was brave enough to make the mistakes you're not willing to make. You are not a chef because you made a recipe you found on allrecipes.com, nor are you in any way better than someone who hurls random glop into a crockpot.

Cooking is at both times an art and a science. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is doomed to become a food scientist who can't cook an edible meal to save their life, or a food artist who can't cook an edible meal to save their life. And both will make their life's work discrediting those around them in some kind of esoteric pursuit of how much better they are at cooking some gastronomic abomination or haute cuisine nightmare than you are at making Meemaw's Taco Casserole.
>>
>>20437703
99% of food discussion is snobbery.
>>20437712
To be fair, I went to a boomer restaurant which served "carbonara" which used chicken instead of pork and alfredo instead of the egg-parmesan sauce.
If people are seriously calling chicken alfredo 'carbonara' I can see why Italians would be so pedantic about it.
>>
>>20437721
>cook·ing
>/ˈko͝okiNG/
>noun
>the practice or skill of preparing food by combining, mixing, and heating ingredients.

you can say they're not a chef, but you can't say they aren't cooking
>>
>>20437715
I was once like you. I painstakingly collected every scrap of chicken I could and when I had enough used them to make a huge pot of stock. Then I tried Better Than Bouillon. Shit's just as good, if not better, for hardly any money and basically no work. I am no longer a chicken-stock snob.
>>
>>20437728
I already did.
>>
>>20437731
ok, then you are wrong
>>
>>20437733
You just have low standards. The definition of words changes over time. Just because we've normalized incompetence in the kitchen doesn't mean we can't advance past that.
>>
>>20437703
Steak has to be raw on the inside or it's ruined, and you can't eat it with any sauces, especially ketchup. Like, who the fuck cares? It's just a piece of meat.
>>
>>20437745
Hear hear. Eat it like you like it, that's my motto. I don't think a well-done steak is "ruined." It's just different. I grew up eating well-done steak because that's what my mom and dad ate; I was well into my teens before I learned that you could cook it any other way.
>>
File: 1546084287578.jpg (10 KB, 250x230)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>20437742
>implying the definition of "cooking" has changed at any point over the past 300 years or is changing now
it's not my fault you don't know what words mean, anon. don't try to pin this on me.
>>
>>20437742
Autism
>>
>>20437742
>The definition of words changes over time.
Did you know that a vaccine does not prevent you from catching a disease, does not prevent you from spreading a disease, and does not prevent you from getting sick from a disease?
Not only that, but vaccines don't work unless everyone gets vaccinated.
>>
>>20437703
if you use a garlic crusher I will crush your head

also, keep ketchup off of hotdogs you kikes
>>
>>20437729
Go to bed Brian
>>
For some things, if you don't have the right ingredients, it's better to not bother doing them.
For exemple caprese salad is shit if you don't have good quality tomatoes
>>
>>20437742
You using words incorrectly has nothing to do with semantic drift. The only low standard here is yours towards language.
>>
>>20438605
>>20437825
>>20437795
>>20437753
Such creeping mendacity.
>>
>>20437898
Quality of ingredients become more important the fewer and more simple your recipe is.
You can get away with low tier shit in a curry loaded in spices, but you can tell right away when frying an bad quality egg or a steak.
>>
>>20437708
>yes
>>
>>20437721
Holy cooklet take. I bet you hate recipes because you can't ever do them right the first time, and you suck at selecting good recipes as well.
>>
>>20437703
Chocolate chip cookies must be chewy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.