[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: brown-rice-recipe-1.jpg (177 KB, 1080x1080)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
I have been cooking rice for over an hour and a half and it keeps sticking and I have to add more water. It's still kinda raw. Why is it taking thrice as much time and water as most guides suggest?

I started with
>1 cup rice (long brown)
>2 cups water
>1 tbsp olive oil
>1 tsp salt
in an appropriate pot with a lid. I turned the heat down to #2 on my stove after it boiled. I've added at least a cup of water and also some milk since.

Foolishly, I added a can of beans at around the hour mark because I thought the rice was getting close and that it could use the excess moisture from the watery beans I was going to mix it with anyway.

Somehow, all the water floats on top and the rice on the bottom dries out, sticks, and burns. It was kinda doing that even before I added the beans, but now it's even more dramatic.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or at least have a laugh at my expense.
>>
Idk this always happens to me when i try to coo krice withot cooekr
>>
>>20439772
Sounds like your heat might still be too high. If it's boiling too hard the water evaporates too quickly and the rice clumps up on the bottom more easily.
>>
>>20439772
What rice are you making?
You can make all rice in a simmering pan with a constant stir.
>>
>>20439785
That makes sense, but shouldn't higher heat mean less cooking time, especially since I kept adding water?
>>20439852
Idk. It's long and brown and from Walmart
>pan
Isn't a lid necessary? And isn't a pot the usual way?

Should I be using the lowest stove setting?
>>
>>20439852
I’m not ‘making’ rice.
I’m ‘cooking’ it.
>>
>>20439893
>higher heat mean less cooking time,
This is why I microwave my steaks, they cook so much faster that way
>>
>>20439893
>>20439899
Making food. cooking food. making money. earning money. Yeah I guess your right. One makes you Jesus the other make you a felon. Yeah brown rice sucks. I just boil brown rice in extra water. Rolling boil and drain excess water and finish in a pan.
>>
>>20439926
It’s alright.
You ESL guys get too much of a hard time on here.
At least you make an effort.
>>
>>20439923
I used to do this in college. I learned that a blow torch and cellophane is your friend for microwave steaks.
>>
>>20439928
Yeah the problem is English is my third language. So it gets to be like Google translate after the third of fourth language.
>>
>>20439940
>knows like 5 languages
>still can't cook rice
What kind of intelligence measure do you need to score big on to be like this?
>>
>>20439893
>That makes sense, but shouldn't higher heat mean less cooking time, especially since I kept adding water?
No, water only goes up to 212F. Using heat higher than to maintain that just speeds up evaporation and increases the risk of scorching.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.