[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I am sick of people saying "Nickelodeon sucks now because you grew up". Nickelodeon kicked ass in the 90s because there was something for everyone. You had horror with Are You Afraid of the Dark, disturbing and gross fever dream-y comedies with Ren and Stimpy, satirical fever dream-y cartoons like Rocko, more lighthearted comedies with Angry Beavers, slice of life shows like Hey Arnold!, sketch comedies like KaBlam, live-action sitcoms like Clarissa, sci-fi dramas like The Secret World of Alex Mack, game shows like Legends of the Hidden Temple, preschool shows like Blue's Clues, and acquired cartoons like Tiny Toon Adventures. Not to mention, there was Rugrats, which definitely was a wacky comedy, but also had adventure and honestly felt like a sitcom a lot of times as well and had slice of life moments

By the late 2000s, we got retarded Nicktoons like Fanboy and Chum Chum, Mighty B!, Back at the Barnyard, Planet Sheen, T.U.F.F. Puppy, etc. They were so similar to one another. If you didn't like braindead retard humor, you were shit out of luck. The old Nicktoons had thought and intelligence. All the live-action shows by then were stupid and retarded as well like iCarly. Sure, we got action toons like TMNT 2012 and Korra, so that's atleast something, but it's not much. Nick really did go downhill
>>
At the very least, we've got those shows to go back and revisit.
>>
>>143246058
I'm not reading any of that crap.
>>
>>143246069
With the knowledge that a ton of the kids were getting abused behind the scenes. So there's that now.
>>
>>143246058
I might be crucified here but I've never found Nick's live action offerings to be good. I only ever enjoyed Kenan and Kel and Drake and Josh which you can argue are the same show, but I always vastly prefered Nicktoons. I never understood the older zoomers saying they liked liveaction Nick and Disney because "it felt more adult", when those shows were painfully mediocre compared to their animated outings. I've always kind of resented the 00's "tween liveaction show, which may also pimp out a new youth popstar to whore out" movement, I just wanted to watch cartoons, man.
>>
>>143246058
Personally, Disney Channel was never good. Not even in the 80s and 90s, because it just felt soulless. It didn't feel like it was worth having, especially when the Disney cartoons were on local stations during Disney Afternoon and they aired on saturday mornings on either ABC or CBS. I watched it when we got the free week previews, but never felt like paying extra just to get the channel. It wasn't worth it. By the time I got the channel, it became a stupid tweencom channel and barely had any cartoons besides Kim Possible which I liked. Then it ended and Phineas and Ferb came out and I liked that too

Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network went downhill, but Disney Channel never went downhill, because it was never good in the first place
>>
>>143246080
I liked the animated stuff, and that was it. Nick's live-action output was... mostly shit.
>>
>>143246091
Of all the network shitcom producers, it's-a-laugh made the ones I hated the least.
>>
>>143246151
Disney Channel once had The Raccoons, so that was something.
>>
>>143246158
You thought Legends of the Hidden Temple, Clarissa Explains It All, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Salute Your Shorts, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, and Double Dare were shit? They were all varied shows with different vibes. Pete and Pete has actually been called one of the best children's shows ever made by some critics
>>
>>143246183
>Are You Afraid of the Dark
I've heard of that one, and it doesn't seem like typical Schniederslop.
>>
>>143246183
NTA, I don't count Legends of the Hidden Temple since that was a Game Show rather than a liveaction tv show, and although I watched Clarissa and AYAotD and liked it to a degree, I much prefered to be watching Aaah Real Monsters or Rocko.
>>
>>143246058
I really hated iCarly. That show was so retarded, it had an episode featuring Fred fucking Figglehorn

Speaking of Fred, I cringed when he got his own trilogy of movies and his own show on Nickelodeon. I never watched those because I knew I would hate it. The little YouTube videos were horrible enough
>>
>>143246233
I was young-enough to unironically like both Fred AND The Annoying Orange. (Though, I'm baffled as to how the latter is STILL GOING.)
>>
>>143246233
I agree with you but I admit I laughed at the clips of those movies with John Cena in them as his dad since the whole time he's just beating his ass.
>>
A lot of this feels like nostalgiafagging but I'll be fair: Hey Arnold genuinely doesn't feel like any cartoon made before or since, on Nick or any other channel. Even at its wackiest something about the vibe felt sober as a documentary.
>>
>>143246247
Those were the highlights, and they were brilliant. (It's extra based when you consider the first film was made before Cena reached MLG-levels of memedom.)
>>
>>143246058
I don't know why kids like retarded shows. 90s Nickelodeon made sure to not have any of their shows be retarded. Even Ren and Stimpy was intelligent. It was gross, but it was smart and had a disturbing fever-dream-y vibe that was very unique

Shows like iCarly and Fanboy and Chum Chum were just LOLSORANDOM YELLING IS FUNNY for a half hour straight
>>
>>143246256
I've heard Hey Arnold tackled the subject of neglectful parents well, and I find that admirable.
>>
>>143246256
Admittedly, I am nostalgiafagging, but 90s Nickelodeon had a lot more genres in their shows than late 2000s/2010s Nickelodeon
>>
>>143246262
>It's extra based when you consider the first film was made before Cena reached MLG-levels of memedom.
This never ceased to amaze me, someone at Nick basically saw the comedy potential in Cena before the Internet did.
>>
>>143246274
>Fanboy and Chum Chum
That could've been otherwise decent had they waited a decade for TV CG to get on a good-enough level.
>>
>>143246288
I don't think the FB&CC CGI looks as bad as everyone makes it out to be, it's the writing though what breaks the show. It's just not good.
>>
>>143246285
I wish that same person was still working at Nick today...
>>
>>143246294
>it's the writing though what breaks the show.
There's your problem, because 90s nicktoons were (mostly) board-driven. That's what made shows like R&S and Spongebob work.
>>
>>143246058
Only zoomers say that stuff. They don’t know it was possible for things to be better because everything they’ve ever experienced has only been putrid shit. Well, thats what they deserve anyway.
>>
>>143246324
>Well, thats what they deserve anyway.
Only the moralfags, but the rest of our generation shouldn't have to be punished.
>>
>>143246058
I will say I don't automatically say something was better in the 90s just because. Disney Channel was never good and the Virtual Boy was a mistake, just to name a few
>>
>>143246324
>They don’t know it was possible for things to be better because everything they’ve ever experienced has only been putrid shit.
That's a sobering realization. It's especially bad with comics. The main big 2 have been such shit shows not only has the quality dropped but it's been so bad for so long that the idea of quality is going to be alien to people.
>>
>>143246361
>the idea of quality is going to be alien to people.
It isn't to me, because I'm Autistic enough to look up all kinds of shit.
>>
>>143246058
>Praises Ren and Stimpy
>Yet hates Mighty B (Which has several R&S crew members involved and pretty much has the spirit) because it’s not what OP grew up with

I can agree Nick has gone down a rocky road but come on.
>>
>>143246256
Watch as told by ginger
>>
>>143246091
>never understood the older zoomers saying they liked liveaction Nick and Disney because "it felt more adult"
Older zoomer here. This was literally just the marketing trick and if you didn't see through it by 13 you were just stupid. The idea was kids knew teens liked sitcoms and therefore watching a sitcom made you a big kid. The only one that was actually "more adult" was DeGrassi which was your standard teen drama fair.
But you saw this in the marketing too. There were commercials where teens were supposedly auditioning for TeenNick and it was like, them fanboying/fangirling over the existing shows in their auditions.
TeenNick was literally just the "live action=more grown up" thing turned into a marketing ploy even if you were getting the same kind of writing from the cartoons, in fact, a lot of the goal with the way the TeenNick shows were written (aside from, y'know, THAT part) was to have the humor akin to a cartoon. So you could sell the kids on the same kind of humor while tricking them in to thinking they're watching something more adult with the mere premise.
Honestly? Marketing genius in hindsight.
>>
>>143246400
I grew up on Mighty B, and I remember being baffled as to how that was "hated" at the time.
>>
>>143246404
>Marketing genius in hindsight.
It didn't work well enough, because I would've rather watched Glenn Martin DDS. (Which was THE adult nicktoon)
>>
>>143246440
How old were you? That's the trick here. Teen Nick was never actually for teens outside of DeGrassi.
>>
>>143246058
>Nickelodeon kicked ass in the 90s because there was something for everyone.

Not me. I hated Nickelodeon in the 90s (at least, after 1993). As soon as I turned 12, I was done with that channel. The only thing that kept me watching was Ren & Stimpy but even that show turned to shit by late 1993.
>>
>>143246460
I was born in '03, and I was there for MLAATR when it recently ended.
>>
>>143246467
Okay so I'm 98 and if you look at iCarly, that thing was clearly pandering to us over our teen counterparts. Fred was brought on specifically for this reason. The webshows in iCarly aren't simple webshows, they're specifically designed around the 'random' humor webshows that kids my age were watching at the time. Understand, the merchandise was all kid focused at the time.
>>
>>143246274
>>LOLSORANDOM YELLING IS FUNNY
God, I hated this. And the worst part is this Dan Schneider humor has become so many female's on tiktok's brand of humor even to this day so it's still ubiquitous
>>
>>143246491
Ah, that explains why iCarly flew over my head. I must've been MUCH younger, back then.
>>
>>143246400
Mighty B was just one of those retarded cartoons at the time that was just a bunch of yelling and stupidity
>>
>>143246496
The worst part is that this kind of humor has many variants. The worst variant by far has to be from Justin Roiland. The dude isn't funny on his own.
>>
>>143246404
Did male zoomers actually watch icarly, big time rush, victorious, Zoey 101, drake and josh or any of the disney live action shows? My younger sister loved lived action sitcoms and I remember thinking they had completely abandoned their male audience for a female one, they all seemed to made for females primarily
>>
>>143246496
Okay I'm gonna have to stop you because, just to be fair, it's more that "LOLSORANDUMB" was kinda just the safe humor of the time and it hasn't changed much since then. As said in this thread, iCarly just was copying what was already taking off online at the time, the "I can has Cheesburger? Lolsorandumb" humor was basically what normies considered to be internet humor at the time and that's still sorta ingrained into the public conscience.
>>
>>143246544
Yeah, they pretty much WERE female-driven, especially the Disney ones.
>t. lived in the loud house irl
>>
>>143246547
Rewatching will be painful, because I can smell the Impact font a mile away.
>>
>>143246544
Nick still had their male audience. SpongeBob appeals to both males and females
>>
>>143246561
Spongebob appeals to more people in general, because it's a show about sea creatures. (Not people.)
>>
>>143246058
Anyways, anyone here old enough to remember the GOOD live-action shows like Kenan and Kel, Alex Mack, Clarissa, Pete and Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Double Dare?

Not everything in the 90s was a winner, but these shows listed right here were the best live-action kids shows ever made
>>
>>143246580
Thanks for the recommendations, because us zoomers were robbed of any good live-action.
>>
>>143246058
I will defend Back at the Barnyard to my dying breath. That show was hilarious.
>>
>>143246594
It had Guy Moon doing the music too, so you've got taste for sure.
>>
>>143246561
I was talking about live action. Go back and watch Pete and Pete or are you afraid of the dark and other older shows and those actually appeal to everyone. Something happened in the 2000s where they stopped caring about making live action for boys.
>>
>>143246606
>Something happened in the 2000s where they stopped caring about making live action for boys.
I think it's because boys seemed to like cartoons more? (Seems more like a gendered stereotype, though.)
>>
>>143246544
We did, but not to the extent the girls did.
BTR in particular is a funny one because despite being based on girl's loves of boy bands at the time, the characters themselves were clearly based in this kind of goofiness and male camaraderie that young boys would relate to so it struck both sexes pretty well because they knew they could keep the male audience via how they wrote the guys.
In terms of the Nick ones, they all got more and more girl centric but would always ensure the male cast had something to do. iCarly would have Fred, Gibby, and Spencer for instance. Zoey 101, I forget their names but distinctly remember they were a whole straightman-funnyman duo.
Disney was kinda all-in on the girl audience except for maybe Zack and Cody and Corey in the House but the Nick ones knew how to get every kid even as they had a female focus.
Caption: P0RNY
>>
>>143246616
>Corey in the House
greatest /a/nime
>>
>>143246080
Kids only started getting abused during the end of all that and the start of drake and josh.
>>
>>143246622
>the start of drake and josh.
Wasn't that a scab writer show?
>>
>>143246606
Oh yeah, definitely. Even Clarissa appealed to boys. The president of Nickelodeon at the time even confirmed that Clarissa was popular with boys in addition to girls
>>
>>143246404
It's ironic but Degrassi is the only one I can go back to because it gets extremely dark and dramatic. The other shows stay pretty much for kids.

>>143246631
It was Schneider's first show that wasn't a sketch comedy that he had was the creator and producer of. It was also starting drake bell the guy who got raped by one of the producers while it was going on.
>>
>>143246644
>It was Schneider's first show that wasn't a sketch comedy that he had was the creator and producer of. It was also starting drake bell the guy who got raped by one of the producers while it was going on.
I knew the show was terrible, but the production behind it is even WORSE.
>>
>>143246644
Yeah and it should be known that DeGrassi was the most controversial because it was actually for teens. Parents saw through the trick and you can find old parenting blogs from back then ranting about how it sorta snuck in there
>>
File: 1708326409366218.png (291 KB, 480x480)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
OP seems to be whining so I didn't read.
I was more into nick growing up, watched jetix and fox kids on the side and pretty much ignored CN.
>>
>>143246615
It seems like a deliberate network decision. It's not like they had a huge flop and decided they'd stop bothering with a male audience cause it's risky. All these 00s shows also started imitating teens shows with plots being about dating, popularity and drama too. I would love if someone made a deep dive video about this
>>
>>143246663
You mean with how cartoons started pushing plotlines about school? This isn't just a Nick phenomenon, but a network-wide one. You could argue that 6Teen was one of the earliest examples of overt teen drama on a cartoon.
>>
>>143246616
>>fred
Now here's a character I never even understood why girls thought he was funny. He's the epitome of obnoxious millennial lolsorandom humor
>>
>>143246737
Girls thought he was hot, not funny.
>>
>>143246744
They thought he was funny too, they would always quote him. All he did was speed up his voice and act like a toddler
>>
>>143246058
I remember Nick acquired the rights to Winx Club in 2011 to appeal to girls. Winx Club kind of felt out of place as a cartoon on Nick, because prior to Winx, Nick didn't really have any cartoons aimed specifically at girls. Wild Thornberrys and Teenage Robot aren't what i'd call girls shows specifically. They were more gender neutral
>>
>>143246744
>>143246768
Wasn't he gay?
>>
>>143246810
Yes, he very much is.
>>
>>143246792
>I remember Nick acquired the rights to Winx Club in 2011 to appeal to girls.
Even weirder, that shit somehow aired on Nick Jr. of all places? (Perhaps I'm mistaken and have a foggy memory.)
>>
>>143246878
Yeah it was eventually moved over to Nick Jr. If I had to guess, it was because while it wasn't a preschool show, it aimed towards "younger" girls than the tweencoms
>>
>>143246902
That's the oddest take I've ever heard, because it's basically anime for italians.
>>
>>143246912
Italians already had anime for decades, lots of non-English countries did. For what I gather, english speaking countries tv standards and moral panicking is much higher, but yeah, Winx was made in reaction to what people liked but "home made", especially after Naoko Takeuchi banned Sailor Moon from being distributed in Italy in the mid 90s after some Italian pseudo-psychiatrist did a Seduction of the Innocent-type attack on her and her work as "corruption of minors and turning boys gay", so Takeuchi was like "no fuck you".
That left a hole ripe for Winx Club to fill.
>>
>>143246937
Good, because I've heard Winx Club isn't all that bad.
>>
File: 1462845639734.jpg (20 KB, 451x359)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
It's strange to me you would skip an entire decade in your rant. I mean - how could you not mention SpongeBob at least? That show changed the entire trajectory of that network and permanently damaged their sense of success. But you jump from the 90s right to 2008 and it's... bizarre to me.

>>143246091
Probably showing my age here, but I hated how the Schneider sitcoms (as well as the Disney shit) looked growing up. I don't even like how Drake and Josh looks that much either and I really don't get the nostalgia for them. I was a Nicktoon kid too.
>>
>>143247117
I think the "look" is owed to how cheap they are to produce, which they very much were.
>>
File: 1702496858396861.jpg (44 KB, 398x459)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
As someone who has been disillusioned with Nickelodeon i gotta say that those people have a point.
For example, SpongeBob from the late 2000s and 2010s is the same as it was when it first started out. Patrick was always an ass, Mr. Krabs was always not a good guy, etc, but no one really cared back then. People only cared about it when they grew up and noticed it with the modern (At the time) episodes. And now that the autists have hated on the show for what it was doing since the start the show has become sanitized, non offensive BS.
Also can't help but feel like that this is a 90s nostalgiafag thread considering OP skipped over the early 2000s and went straight into the late 2000s as if all the successes Nickelodeon had during the early 2000s didn't exist.
Also Tuff Puppy and Back to the Barnyard are actually fun.
And one last thing, Nickelodeon in the 2010s did have variety. They had Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, Loud House (Leaving out TMNT and Korra since you already brought those up). Despite what one might think about those shows they were still all different from each other and brought their own uniqueness to the network, but wanna know what happened to them? No one watched them, no one put their money where their mouths were and actually watched them or talk about them, they only focused on the bad shows and in turn only the bad shows got noticed while the good stuff got overshadowed.
There was a thread last year discussing this and i highly recommend reading it for those who are interested on this perspective on how the audience have helped to screw over these shows by focusing on the bad while not supporting the good. (All this with the exception of Loud House of course)
And it happened with the 2020 shows, It's Pony, Glitch Techs and Star Trek Prodigy.
The whole "I'm not going to watch the show because it'll just get cancelled" thing is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Here's the link to the thread archive.
https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/140870653/
>>
>>143247727
>Glitch Techs
Wasn't that already doomed by being dumped to Netflix?
>>
File: 1711260690446684.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>143247117
>It's strange to me you would skip an entire decade in your rant. I mean - how could you not mention SpongeBob at least? That show changed the entire trajectory of that network and permanently damaged their sense of success. But you jump from the 90s right to 2008 and it's... bizarre to me.
This. Nickelodeon has had more success in half a decade than they did in the entire 90s.
Although i think it'd be more fair to group together everything from 1996 to 2006 as that entire era was headed by Herb Scannell, the guy who really made Nickelodeon what it was in that time frame and grew the company to new heights... only for Cyma Zarghami to completely fuck up everything he worked so hard to accomplish.
>>143247747
I'll admit, yes, yes it was.
To give more context Glitch techs got screw by being around at the wrong time as Nickelodeon was going through a corporate restructuring at the time causing Brian Robins to become the new president and since Gltich techs was greenlit by Cyma Zarghami the guy didn't want to keep it around. As someone with industry inside knowledge said each new president of a company wants to leave their mark as soon as possible. Not to mention Brian Robins' seeming hard on and bias for streaming to the point of madness. As well as his hard on and bias for already established IPs leading to Nickelodeon having so many spin-offs, reboots and adaptations nowadays, the guy even had a hand in the creation of Kamp Koral even before he became president. This lead to multiple new IPs being made under Nickelodeon to get cancelled pre and even mid production and being replaced with stuff like Big Nate and the Rugrats reboot, both shows now being lost media due to the Paramount+ Nickelodeon purge.
>>
>>143247774
>Big Nate
I loved the books, but fuck that if it actually starts canceling nicktoons in the process.
>>
>>143246079
Here’s a quick summary

>Wahhh Nick used to have more wahhh. There ya go.
>>
File: 1682132666883441.jpg (18 KB, 210x240)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>143247779
There was a list of upcoming Nicktoons listing these shows that got shorter as they got cancelled. I'll give you details on what i remember reading about them. Keep in mind that the info i give might not be completely correct as i'm going off of memory but i'm confident that this info is at least 90% accurate.
>Real Pigeons Fight Crime
A mystery crime detective show staring a crime fighting duo of pigeons.
>Man of the House
A slice of life about a teenage boy who's parents are too busy to stay at home so he takes care of his family becoming the man of the house.
>Meet the Voxxels
A 3D cartoon about a family of video game characters. The father is the main character of a fighting game franchise, the mother is a super spy who's the star of an action game, the daughter is the star of a sports game, the son is still trying to find a game of his own and a pet who's the star of a mobile game.
Meet the Voxxels is the most interesting one out of the bunch due to the story behind it. It was shown off in a preview at a conference showing off a new game engine (IRC the latest version of Unreal) as Nickelodeon showed up as one of their partners due to them using the engine for the show. If Meet the Voxxels wasn't cancelled then it would have made history by not only using the latest gaming tech and software but also being the first ever cartoon animated using a video game engine.
Those are the three cancelled Nicktoons that i remember but i know that there's at least two more that i forgot.
Glitch Tech got lucky that it had its first season completed during the restructuring with only it's second season getting cancelled (Netflix just split season one into two separate seasons) with the other shows not being so lucky, with the only exception being Rock, Paper, Scissors being the only Nicktoon to survive Brian Robins' mass cancelling.
Also a Nicktoon based on the book series Phoebe and her Unicorn got cancelled but that's most likely due to different reasonings.
>>
>>143247963
We were robbed of a literal Unreal Engine cartoon? Holy fucking shit!!
>>
File: 1700108539175051.jpg (90 KB, 1000x563)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>143247968
I decided to look for the conference i mentioned but instead i found something better.
Leaked footage of the pilot that was uploaded six months ago as well as a title image.
Here's new info on it that i have gathered.
>I got the roles of the family members wrong (Apologies)
>It might not be cancelled after all, just in a bit of production limbo
>It seems that it will get the Pinky Malinky treatment as it will be silently shoved onto Netflix with no advertisement
First ever cartoon made with a game engine and this is how it's treated, quietly shoved onto Netflix as Nickelodeon doesn't want it anymore.
Here's the footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7EuXEMC5Q
>>
>>143248229
Holy shit, this almost seems like a show Glitch could pick up.
>>
>>143246091
Only a select few of their live action shows were good(both disney and nick)and it wasn't always the sitcoms. I think towards the end of 10's they tried moving away from away from it again.
>>
>>143248229
>>143248243
I just made a new thread about this to hopefully spread awareness.
>>143248401
>>
File: 1691179897121107.jpg (1.74 MB, 1400x1774)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>143247963
I did some more digging and got some new info.
>Real Pigeons Fight Crime
Apparently it was based on a book series and would have been CGI.
>Man of the House
Found the plot synopsis.
"The series follows a 11-year-old kid named José as he helps his mother Maria watch over his two younger siblings, Maria Juliana (Maju) and Diego, while trying to form a hip-hop group with his quirky classmate and neighbor, Wilbur, who lives downstairs."
>>
>>143247727
>the show has become sanitized non offensive BS
Patrick still acts like an ass sometimes like he always has been. He was an ass in Ink Lemonade
>>
>>143248282
What other live actions did they even have other than sitcoms?
>>
>>143247727
Harvey Beaks did seem very different from the other shows out there along with Welcome to the Wayne and Loud House. You make a good point
>>
>>143249032
That's only one example, and the community overreacted to it might i add.
>>
NickToons pretty much died after Avatar in 2005. I would say live action died after Victorious in 2010. In reality, the 2000s were the death crawl for the network and while they had a few diamonds past the main 4 you would see in all those NickToons titles, even as a kid I could tell Nick was shit compared to CN in the same era.

>>143246151
True. Disney was always a last resort channel.
>>
>>143247774
I always wondered why people hated Cyma so much considering she was with Nick since 1985 until just a few years ago
>>
>>143246058
>The Secret World of Alex Mack
>Starts as goofy teen-with-superpowers fantasy, ends with characters actually on the verge of getting murdered over a corporate conspiracy
Thomas Lynch was definitely no Dan Schneider.
>>
File: 1693096334885483.jpg (113 KB, 853x1280)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>143249136
Blame Cyma Zarghami. She cancelled all the show greenlit by former president herb Scannell (Except SpongeBob) and greenlit a bunch of the bad Nicktoons.
>>143249158
That's not even all. Here's a list.
>Created the SpongeBob mandate
>Was the one who turned down Adventure Time in favor of Fanboy & ChumChum
>Created the rule where Nickelodeon owns every pilot pitched to them after CN BTFO's Nickelodeon with Adventure Time
>Was the one who personally screwed over the creator of Constant Payne and cancelled the show due to him wanting royalties
>Extremely biased against action shows as she believes they turn kids into terrorists
>Knowingly hired and protected pedophiles working with kids on their live action shows
Also, a side story on Cyma.
Remember the short Harpy Gee for Nickelodeon's shorts program?
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnlJW_ytMI
It started out as a webcomic and turned into a short as the creator worked at Nickelodeon for years but was leaving the company so her coworkers created the short for her as a parting gift.
Giving Harpy Gee the red light was the last decision Cyma made as president as she would be fired the very next day.
At least the creator got ot keep the rights.
>>
>>143246544
> I remember thinking they had completely abandoned their male audience for a female one, they all seemed to made for females
Not sure that’s actually true. People just didn’t watch the action oriented shows they tried making around the late 00s like “Supah Ninjas” and “The Troop”. So they just found their actual market. Plus there were the ridiculous ones like that sitcom with ghosts living with a family sitcom which had elements for both crowds, but no one remembers that shit. Also Drake and Josh is not a girls show.
>>
>>143247727
OP here. The Nicktoons in the early 2000s were still pretty different from each other. As Told By Ginger was a slice of life drama, Fairly OddParents was a zany comedy, Invader ZIM was a dark comedy, and Avatar was an action-adventure show (I know it came out in 2005)
>>
>>143249272
Didn't say they weren't, just questioning acknowledgement of them in the OP post. So thanks for acknowledging them.
>>
>>143247727
>Tuff Puppy
>Back at the Barnyard
>good
I remember many people hating those back then because they found them retarded. This was when Nickelodeon was starting to make what people called retarded Nicktoons for the first time. They didn't make any retarded Nicktoons prior to Barnyard and Tak and the Power of Juju
>>
>>143249299
They were hated on for being caught in the crossfire of internet rage against Nickelodeon at the time but people eventually went back to them and were less harsh so they ended up aging pretty good, especially in today's age of meme culture.
>>
>>143249316
What do you think of My Gym Partner's a Monkey on Cartoon Network? I've seen people hate on it because Jake the Monkey is a jerk to Adam Lyon. Even to this day, it gets a lot of hate like Mr. Enters video. I don't think you've ever heard of Mr. Enter, but he is someone who talks about cartoons
>>
>>143246058
90s Nickelodeon was the smartest network along with Fox Kids
>>
>>143249338
Oh believe me, i know who Mr. Enter is. I just didn't bring him up as i didn't want to get into that but if you're interested he does get brought up quite a it in the archived thread i linked to earlier in the thread.
As for My Gym Partner Is A Monkey, i watched that show as a kid and i liked it. Enter complains about the jokes about Jake's butt but me and my brother got good laughs from those jokes, one of them even had us literally laughing out loud.
One last thing i wanna say about Mr. Enter is that he's too sensitive when it comes to mean spirited stuff, in fact some of the stuff he complains about isn't even as mean spirited as he makes it out to be, not to mention he himself can get mean spirited such as his thumbnails, one of them featuring him about to kill Jake with a shot gun, or the other with him about to eat Johnny test as a fish.
All in all the cartoon community is very overly sensitive and i blame Mr. Enter, as well as other cartoon reviewers, for their negative influence. Seriously, every crazy complaint people have about cartoons nowadays can be traced back to him. Although to be fair he is just a middle man as he himself was heavily influence by the Nostalgia Critic who has been a bad influence on internet reviewers as a whole due to autists taking the character of the Nostalgia Critic too seriously.
But i will say that Mr. Enter (And Nostalgia Critic) have gotten better and even admitted that his earlier reviews aren't that great (Although i still notice some old habits of his showing up) so that's good of him, although i fear that it's too little too late as the affect on the community has already left a permanent mark.
>>
>>143249427
I'd say 90s-early 2000s.
>>
>>143246079
based
>>
>>143246058
It's always been a retarded,disingenuous argument. How is Nick's 90-early 00's output comparable to the barebones shit that started in the 10's?
>>
>>143249471
It was never an "argument" it was a statement.
>>
>>143246404
As boomer I can see them thinking that. Watching their pre 80s reruns like Flipper and nick @ night, I'm sure my sense of humor and taste got affected to prefer that stuff over fart jokes/slime.

Ironicly all the toons that were grounded around humans seemed to suck to me.
>>
>>143247774
>Paramount+ Nickelodeon purge.
You'd think that this would be bigger news than it actually is.
>>
>>143249811
Except around the same time, nearly everybody tried to have their own streaming service.
>>
>>143249859
I don't think you know what we're talking about. We're talking about ten nickelodeon shows getting removed from Paramount+ last month.
>>
>>143249882
Wait, THAT was the purge? Fuck my life...
>>
File: 1692234063270728.png (12 KB, 347x457)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>143249900
Oh, you didn't know?
This caused Big Nate and Rugrats reboot to become lost media.
I feel bad for the creator of Big Nate as for years he tried to get a cartoon made of it and finally settled on Nickelodeon after liking their pitch, he even made new comics for the show's credits.
Only for it to become lost media due to Nickelodeon and Paramount deciding to save money by removing shows on their streaming service.
>>
>>143249958
Luckily I go on trackers, so it's found media to me ;)
>>
>>143249270
I stopped watching nickelodeon by the late 00s so I never heard of these shows. But there was something special about 90s live action shows in that they actually had plotlines that didn't just revolve around popularity and dating. (Alex mack, pete and pete, blake holsey high) there's probably more but I mostly watched these on the N in syndication so I'm sure I missed some. Kid shows were feminized in the 00s, this phenomena should be studied
>>
>>143246192
That's because it's a canada show. Honestly all the actors are just random kids they grab after class. So the episodes vary. It's funny they have a pool episode that's honestly scary than the recent haunted pool movie.
>>
>>143250131
Good, Canadian shows are awesome.
>>
>>143250064
>Kid shows were feminized in the 00s, this phenomena should be studied
Simplest answer is that girls are the most self conscious about consuming "kiddy" stuff. They grow out of cartoons, toys, all that stuff. They like the sitcom format because they see their boring ass moms and older sisters watching that and want to imitate it.
This is actually why comic companies ditched girl's comics back in the 70's/80's, studies showed girls would just read regular books more frequently so they gave up on the market.
>>
>>143249965
OK. Still sucks that the creator got screwed over.
>>
>>143250225
Oh yeah, that's always saddening. However, I think this is a reality I might end up facing if I ever get a show picked up, so I gotta try not to get too upset.
>>
>>143246810
Women are attracted to gay guys and get very mad when they realize they can't just straighten them out like in a romcom.
>>
>>143250266
Luckily I'm a troon, so I can have sex with gay guys :3
>>
>>143250064
Actually Nickelodeon still had live action shows like that even in the 2010s such as Supah Ninjas and House of Anubis, they just got overshadowed by sitcoms.
>>143250131
>>143250220
You Can't Do That On TV was also a Canadian show Nick got. The show is also where Nickelodeon's green slime originated from. Nickelodeon's iconic green slime is from a Canadian syndication show. Canadians invented their green slime. I repeat this because as a Canadian i am proud of this fact.
>>143250228
Honestly proud of you. I too have hopes of making my own cartoons. I even wrote a script for an episode. I should really get back to that.
>>
>>143250272
The amount of gay men you can have sex with is the same amount that women can have sex with. That is bisexuals. Vaginas on a dude ruin the fucking point of sleeping a guy and no strap on is going to make up for it.
>>
>>143250302
>Vaginas on a dude ruin the fucking point of sleeping a guy and no strap on is going to make up for it.
No worries, I kept mine because it's too expensive to get bottom surgery.
>>
>>143250295
>Actually Nickelodeon still had live action shows like that even in the 2010s such as Supah Ninjas and House of Anubis, they just got overshadowed by sitcoms.
Oh, and i forgot about The Troop.
>>
>>143250222
Interesting point but that dosen't fully explain it. It's not like AYAOTD was more "kiddy" than these sitcoms. I'm not even saying that there shouldn't be any shows in the sitcom format but this seemed like a deliberate push to dumb down live action programming into school drama/dating plots and remove all mystery and adventure
>>
>>143250646
Sadly, it's all about appealing to the lowest-common denominator.
>>
>>143250326
>House of Anubis
That was one of the few I remembered, so it must've been for good reason.
>>
>>143246544
Drake and Josh and Ned's yeah, then Icarly only because it took its timeslot after drake and josh ended
>>
>>143246091
Anyone who didn't like Pete and Pete didn't have a soul
>>
>>143249965
>>143249958
I dont know if the latter half of the first season of big nate even got ripped, any torrent i found is incomplete
>>
>>143250646
Well again, just think of what shows were most popular with the women those girls are imitating. Sitcoms, drama/ and dating stories. action/adventure/crime TV is generally more for older men. Ironically a lot of 90's live action shows in the adventure/mystery genre on Nick did have girl protagonists(Alex Mack, shelby Woo), but those fell by the wayside.
It's also why Nick started pushing their TV stars outside of the shows beyond them being the characters, to imitate the celebrity culture women obsess over.
>>
>>143251160
I happen to know MiU/PHOENiX, so perhaps I could ask him.
>>
>>143251161
Clarissa appealed to boys though and that was a sitcom with a female lead in Melissa Joan Hart
>>
>>143251408
And Alex Mack would have been a boy had Larisa Oleynik not put on such a strong audition for the role. Hell, the only reason the show didn't go to Season 5 is because Larisa wanted to finish school and move on with her life.
>MFW the cliffhanger of the mutagen leaking into the sewers remains unresolved
>>
>>143251161
I have no problems watching a female protag if the plot was good and these shows delivered.
>>
>>143246091
Most of Nick's live action in the 90s was legit good. It didn't start getting annoying until the mid 00's
>>
>>143251811
>the mid 00's
Shit, I was 3-4 by then...
>>
>>143251104
I don't know what to tell you. Outside of Adam West's Batman and Power Rangers I just did not care for live action TV. I was like 5 years old at the time, I prefered cartoons.
>>
>>143251828
The last good live action was Ned's. I was already past the target demo but still thought it was hilarious. So I don't think it's an age thing.
>>
>>143249965
Actually no.
Big Nate hasn't aired all of its episodes yet, and now they may never air.
>>
>>143252201
Shit, it really IS lost media? Looks like someone's going to leak those eventually, because ViacomCBS servers are fickle.
>>
>>143252216
I'm half confident it'll happen, but the fact that this is what it takes to get all episodes that were produced out is asinine.
>>
>>143252239
I'd call it "modern-day hacktivism" ;)
>>
File: 1708979681759257.jpg (66 KB, 773x960)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Nickelodeon is dead to me.
>>
>>143252179
Victorious is a fun show. Also the other live action stuff mentioned earlier.
>>
>>143251516
Thinking about it, how would they even continue Alex Mack at this point? Everybody's too old now and I don't trust a recast. I could see a light novel (like from back in the day) or comic adaptation be picked, though.
>>
>>143252901
You answered your own question. Book, comic/graphic novel or cartoon.
>>
>AIY AM SO SEEK OF STOOPEEDITEE!
>>
>>143249432
Enter's problem boils down to something I've noticed most Cartoon youtubers have. They all try to lay this weird claim to knowing how kids think and almost none of them actually do.
Like when they get mad at pointlessly mean spirited humor and try to insist kids don't like it and it's such an "are you kidding me?" moment.
Most kids fucking love pointlessly mean spirited humor.
>>
>>143253343
That may have been how they felt as kids, and assumed all kids felt that too.
>>
>>143253639
That's Nihilist as fuck, perhaps they should join the Frowning Friends.
>>
>>143246183
I really can't name a better live-action kid's show than The Adventures of Pete and Pete that isn't sci-fi.
>>
File: GT.gif (2.96 MB, 576x325)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB GIF
For proof positive Nick just sucks ass, they let one of their best shows since Avatar completely fucking die.
>>
>>143253967
Think of all the porn
>>
>>143253967
It fucking hurts that so few people know this show exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxROO7NMfu0&ab_channel=Nicktoons
>>
>>143246058
> "Nickelodeon sucks now because you grew up".
Do people say that? I’m more used to either “Nickelodeon sucks now because they don’t have any good shows” or “Does Nickelodeon even still exist??”

I’m not reading the rest of the post.
>>
>>143246058
Nickelodeon sucks now because you grew up.
>>
>>143253999
Nickelodeon sucks now because they think streaming is the future.
>>
>>143254051
Huh well whaddya know.
>>
>>143254051
Then why can I get enjoyment out of 90s Nick shows that I never saw until recently?
>>
>>143254085
Because your tastes have changed.
>>
>>143246657
OP's definitely having a discussion with himself or his Discord friends trying to drum up a conversation.
>>
>>143254104
If my tastes changed then I should've hated shows I had no nostalgic attachment to.
>>
File: 1712684318074660.png (12 KB, 1000x1500)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>143246324
People are taught to believe that things will just automatically get better over time, aka "The Progressive Veiw of History".
Technology will get better, people will get richer, safer, and freer automatically as time goes on.
There are several problems with this worldview.
>>
>>143251104
I have fond memories of Pete and Pete and I think I could appreciate it more now. But I know for a certainty it was also one of those shows where I was just waiting for it to end so the cartoons would start playing again.
>>
>>143254256
What about improving upon what we already have?
>>
>>143252239
>I'm half confident it'll happen

Forget about it. The day we those Big Nate episodes leak out is the same day South Park releases/leaks BR remastered versions of the banned Mohammed episodes, and it's a miracle somebody managed to even leak the ending for 201.
>>
>>143254295
Diminishing returns.
>>
>>143254333
Sux, I figured that's what the homebrew spirit would be all about.
>>
>>143246058
Everything that had any cultural staying power in the latter half of the 20th century was made by boomer white guys for an audience of 8-12 year old boys.
The boomers are gone and so are the economic conditions that made boys a viable audience.
It’s over, Johnny.
>>
>>143254385
There's a difference between "see a need, fill a need" and the belief that new things will come about because they are next on the tech tree.
I'm thinking about turds like Bob Chipman who bemoan the lack of progress in space travel.
NASA was mostly funded to let the US test its rocket technology to deliver icbms. Once the paymasters got what they wanted out of it it's funding was cut.
Even more profitable technology hits plateaus. TVs have been moving from gimmick to gimmick for the last 10 years or so. Remember 3dtvs? The curved tv? HD was probably the last real innovation, I don't think the majority of the audience can even tell the differenxe between 4k and 8k.

What I'm trying to say in a historical sense there is no such thing as inevitability. No trend continues upwards or downwards forever.
>>
>>143253343
I honestly think enter has BPD along with his autism, I've never seen anyone get worked up over such mild humor in cartoons
>>
>>143254795
Imagine how he'd feel about Jimmy Two-Shoes, kek.
>>
Every show here was fun watch when I was growing up.
>>
>>143247963
>Phoebe and her Unicorn got cancelled
man, that's a shame. it's a really fun comic, with that same sort of Calvin & Hobbes dry humor.
>>
>>143254807
I don't think that made it outside of Canada
>>
>>143255057
It aired on Disney's subchannel
>>
>>143255112
I can confirm, since I was there when it premiered. (Oddly enough, I didn't remember the 2nd Season nearly as well.)
>>
>>143246404
>The idea was kids knew teens liked sitcoms and therefore watching a sitcom made you a big kid.
>TeenNick was literally just the "live action=more grown up" thing
True. I'm a younger zoomer (21) and my parents thought any live action sitcom show on Nick was for teens so I wasn't allowed to watch ICarly till I was like 15. Same for Thundermans and Victorious
>>
File: 20240331_181233.png (287 KB, 640x480)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
I was born in 97 so I wouldn't know. Like damn. Also I'm not gonna take Mighty B and T.U.F.F Puppy slander. Those were gold in piles of shit.
>>
>>143255998
Ah, there you are kek.
>>
>>143246058
>You had horror with Are You Afraid of the Dark

This show was awful. Same to Goosebumps. Always preferred Tales of the Crypt because it was actually allowed to filled with violence and terror of different types of genres. Family Friendly style horror will always be LAME SHIT.
>>
>>143246058
>By the late 2000s, we got retarded Nicktoons like Fanboy and Chum Chum, Mighty B!, Back at the Barnyard, Planet Sheen, T.U.F.F. Puppy, etc.
Back at the Barnyard was good but the rest were all dogshit
>All the live-action shows by then were stupid and retarded as well like iCarly.
I watched iCarly because my sister did, I thought it started off decent but got more stupider as it went on
>>143246091
I liked Drake and Josh the best for Nick live action
>>143255772
>True. I'm a younger zoomer (21) and my parents thought any live action sitcom show on Nick was for teens so I wasn't allowed to watch ICarly till I was like 15. Same for Thundermans and Victorious
Bruh what, I'm 23 and my sister is 20 and we grew up watching those, they're rated G not R
>>
>>143256045
>Back at the Barnyard was good
I've got WEB-DLs, if you ever need them ;)
>>
>>143254531
Boomers right now are in the process of dying. Within the next ten years they will be and become a Super Minority Generation.

That said male audiences aren't viable because America has a sick shitty Gynocentric Culture. So now the only alternative to wait until the Pro Female Factory fucking collapses on itself and foreign competitors steal male customer's money away from the shitty North American companies who hated male customers.
>>
>>143256082
>Boomers right now are in the process of dying.
Good, I plan on sending my grandparents to a home.
>>
>>143256082
Makes one wonder who will get the blame for everything being wrong when enough boomers die that they're a minority? Gen X?
>>
>>143256288
>Gen X?
Probably, since it's usually the eldest generation that has the most power.
>>
>>143246404
Actually, the target demographic for those shows were 9-14, so technically they weren't lying that it was made for teens. It's just on the lower end, before High School.
>>
>>143256306
But Millennials are the ones getting most of the boomers inheritance.
>>
>>143256683
Shit, no wonder Gen Z is doubly screwed...
>>
>>143252946
Well, with the 30th anniversary of the show being this year, maybe something will happen. Fingers crossed.
>>
>>143249248
>>Was the one who turned down Adventure Time in favor of Fanboy & ChumChum
That was only good thing she did.
>>
>>143256060
Gimmie!!!
>>
>>143246547
ICarly didn't stick to me as that kind of SO RANDUMB. I mean, the Internet you had either people who used it moderately and didn't speak like lolcats all the time despite sharing those pictures, and then you have your PENGU1NZ OF D00M who went overboard with it.
iCArly never felt like it went into the latter, maybe due to the fact it was grounded on reality and live action. Like some of Spencer's antics, they never stuck to me as too randum.
>>143246510
This, the show felt a tad more Valley-girly, or perhaps I'm mixing some of its mood with Hannah Montana
>>143254531
Do you account for people born in the 60s as boomers or early GenX? Cause I think those of the 70s are X. Just saying cause of the amount of people calling everyone over 30 boomer has diluted its meaning
>>
>>143257780
>iCArly never felt like it went into the latter, maybe due to the fact it was grounded on reality and live action. Like some of Spencer's antics, they never stuck to me as too randum.
I thought towards the end it got a bit stale, earlier seasons were good though
>>
>>143246058
>>143246091
Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide is not only a good show, is fucking godlike and the best live action of the channel, even above Kenan and Kel and Pete and Pete.
I will die in this hill.
>>
>>143258066
BASED, Ned's Declassified and Drake and Josh were peak
>>
File: 1692906080511679.jpg (90 KB, 670x749)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>143254720
Here are my hands, along with torso.
>>
>>143256917
>Adventure Time became the biggest new cartoon of the 2010s
>Fanboy & ChumChum fell flat on its face
>>
>>143258066
Ned's Declassified is often thought of as a cartoon filmed in live action. Does that make sense to you?
>>
File: proof.png (4 KB, 416x42)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>143258533
makes perfect sense to me.
>>
Nickelodeon?
You mean the spongebob and loud house channel right?
>>
>>143259505
No offence but the joke is dead at this point now that people only feel apathy or disgust.
>>
>>143249040
Disney did some single cam shows that were more expensive to produce and strayed away from their typical sitcom format thoughout 2019-2022, they did a few in the 2000s too. While stuff like Lizzy McGuire or Even Stevens were comedy they're not sitcoms.
>>
>>143247727
NTA but as a 2000 zoomer I stopped watching Nick because despite all their shows, circa 2008 it seemed like all that they aired was Spongebob, ICarly, and sometime a FoP for a chaser.
>>
>>143253817
It really seemed like the last live action show tv networks put creativity into, the 00s shows just seem like fame/cash grabs
>>
>>143256082
>America has a sick shitty Gynocentric Culture
Women be shopping. They literally spend more money. Of course entertainment gets catered to them. Men spend their money differently.
>>
>>143249338
I remember thinking it was ugly and unfunny

>>143246544
disney was always female oriented
>>
>>143258066
It may have had it's funny moments but it was still formulaic. Pete and pete was very experimental at the time and I wish it would've encouraged networks to take more creative risks
>>
>>143257780
I mean icarly was kinda lolsorando, the show but yea I think p3ngu1n of d00m tier humor only existed in cartoon form.
>>everyone over 30 boomer has diluted its meaning
That's just the meme, 60s is still boomer, 70s and the first half of the 80s is gen x
>>
>>143261517
There was also chowder
>>
>>143262237
Chowder was a CN show
>>
>>143261517
>>143261610
Danny Phantom, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim, Chalk Zone, My Life as a teenage Robot, Catscratch, Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, Big Time Rush.
>>
File: IMG_8641.jpg (659 KB, 2048x2040)
659 KB
659 KB JPG
>>143246580
SOVL https://youtu.be/DRUD8NqLGuc?feature=shared
>>
>>143246058
>Mighty B!
Never got the chance to watch that one but I remember everyone hating it to death back in the day. Why was that?
>>
>>143261517
2008 was a dark fucking year for kids media like god damn i was 4 or 5 at the time and my earliest memories about cartoons just involves me hearing everyone older than me by even a couple years talking about how much more there was in just a couple years earlier even like it sucked
>>
>>143263743
>Ended in 2007
>Ended in 2006
>Also ended in 2006
>aired 6 episodes in the middle of 2008 after years of nothing so most people probably didn’t notice
>didn’t air once in 2008 , came back on nicktoons in 2009 to air unaired episodes
>ended in 2007
>ended in 2007
>actually did air it’s last few episodes in 2008 surprisingly
>ended in 2007
>didn’t start airing until the tail end of 2009
>>
>>143258533
Its main appeal to me at least was that there was no 'set' villain. Even the resident bully or asshole teacher could be on the heroes' side if circumstances called for it, and it never felt contrived.

(also the ep where the miami vice principal admits he didn't feel like he was accomplishing anything as an actual cop.)
>>
>>143263817
I got my first impression of what food poisoning must be like when they started running commercial breaks RIGHT FUCKING AFTER the theme song of each show
>>
>>143263884
Absolutely none of that matters. They're still 2000s shows. Don't try to devalue them or their success.
>>
>>143263798
I honestly don't get it myself considering the show is pretty much just diet Ren & Stimpy.
Just goes to prove the animation community's bias. When Ren & Stimpy does something it's funny, revolutionary and iconic. When Mighty B! does the same but less shocking and gross it gets labeled as disgusting, annoying and terrible.
People want cartoons to go back to what they were in the olden days but when cartoons are made similar to those of the olden days people complain because as it turns out people who want the olden days back only remember it through the eyes of a child and then they get pissed when they see the same styles of humor through the eyes of an adult.
>>
>>143264172
Nevertheless I still stopped watching nick in 2008 because it was a content dessert.
Hell I almost stopped watching animation entirely that year in lieu of the remnants of cool stuff on the History and Discovery channels since none of what the big were offering clicked with my epic fantasy addled mind.
>>
>>143264347
Well if that's just you then fair enough i suppose.
>>
>>143264231
Debunked.
>>
>>143253639
Sort of? Here's one, look at how Nostalgia Critic reviews kids media and especially animation and you begin to see the problem. It's not that none of them have degrees, but none of them have even bothered to look into something like how animation, editing, et cetera work. You look at someone more in the know and they won't just talk about how bad the lesson or whatever is but will actively call out more insidious practices like "key-jangling" editing and will always say things along the lines of "kids need" rather than "kids like", because the reality is kids usually do like something like violence, gross-out, sexual innuendos they're too young to really get but able to tell it was sexual/"a big kid joke", et cetera.
If we made shows on what kids like, I assure you the cartoon youtube community would despise it because it would be the worst possible thing for kids
>>
>>143246058
Even as a kid Nick felt lame compared to Cartoon Network. It was always the "Watch if nothing's on CN" channel in my house.
>>
>>143262288
I was thinking of flapjacks then, similar shows
>>
>>143254815
I need me a beatnik Jenny...
>>
>>143265786
That's CN too lol
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Some of the live action stuff was nice, but I now suspect it was secretly sinister. I blame this for awakening a fetish in me before I was even 10.
>>
>>143266314
What's the fetish?
>>
>>143246551
Tell me how does it feel to be the only male in an estrogen-rich familial environment ?
>>
>>143266314
What fetish is that? I can't even tell what is that thing
>>
>>143267436
I think he is talking about WAM
>>
>>143267585
I'll be honest, it was extremely awkward.
>>
>>143267742
Were you really the only boy other than your father ? How many sisters ?
I apologize If my questions comes off as rude or intrusive, I'm autistic I don't know where people's boundaries are
>>
File: 1629339399852.jpg (695 KB, 2670x1967)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
A lot of people blame Cyma Zarghami (Nick president in 2006-2018) for Nickelodeon's decline, but Herb Scannell (1996-2006 president) arguably got the ball rolling

>turning a blind eye to the abuse of young actors by Dan Schneider and Brian Peck
>making Craig Bartlett turn Hey Arnold The Jungle Movie into a TV movie and Arnold Saves the Neighborhood into a theatrical movie; results in the Neighborhood Movie flopping (plot too thin for theatrical), Bartlett leaving Nick, Jungle Movie put in development hell
>cancelling Angry Beavers because they said "shut up" and broke the fourth wall
>cancelling Invader Zim and Constant Payne because "muh too violent"
>reviving Rugrats for soulless Dil/Kimi/All Grown Up episodes without Paul Germain
>closing Nick Studios because he hated Florida
>allowing CN to take Ed, Edd n Eddy because he didn't give Antonucci full creative control
>not letting Hillenburg end SpongeBob after the movie because Herb didn't want to lose their cash cow
>withholding last episodes of shows years after they were produced (As Told by Ginger took 16 years to air all of its last season)
>cancelling shows for not being up to Rugrats/SpongeBob/Dora ratings-wise

Gerry Laybourne (1984-1996 president) built Nick up as indie/experimental in the Rocko/Ren & Stimpy era. Herb, while also having good shows (Early Spongebob), started the transition into generic corporate.
>>
>>143265767
People who say "Nick sucked CN was better" grew up in the late 90s-2000s since CN had a lot more content by then. People who grew up in the early-mid 90s favor Nick because CN didn't have much original content at that point.
>>
>>143267840
I only have one brother, but I have at least 6 or 7 sisters. Everything you've seen in TLH has probably happened in my family too.
>>
>>143268120
>but I have at least 6 or 7 sisters
You're not sure yourself ?
>>
>>143266314
You were mentally ill to begin with, the show had nothing to do with your fetish.
>>
>>143268251
There's one sister I don't see often, so that's why
>>
>>143267974
>cancelling Angry Beavers because they said "shut up" and broke the fourth wall
That's the most retarded thing Nick has ever done, because meta humor is something Millennials write into shit now.
>>
>>143268547
>There's one sister I don't see often, so that's why
So almost exactly like TLH then
Can't you think of at least one thing that happened in that show that also happened irl in your house ?
>>
>>143268762
"In Tents Debate" was often the scenario I'd get into.
>>
>>143264467
Yet no actual proof of this.
>>
>>143268796
kek
Wasn't it too hard when that "time of the month" happened simultaneously or in close succession ?
>>
>>143269092
Pretty much, since we didn't have a whole lot of money to really go anywhere.
>>
File: 1687332280413661.png (523 KB, 1942x861)
523 KB
523 KB PNG
>>143267974
I still put the blame on Cyma as while Herb did make mistakes they were not as terrible as Cyma's who didn't fix Herb's mistakes but made it all worse.
Not to mention how much Herb built up Nickelodeon even more as proven in pic related.
Also it was Cyma who did that last point, not Herb.
>>
>>143269116
Oh right, I'd say it was both.
>>
>>143268031
I'm surprised this "console war" equivalent to both channels was a thing among US then-kids. I just watched both equally. If one had something I didn't like I just swap the other and vice versa but not really "take sides".
>>
>>143269122
The process started under Herb though like the arbitrary cancellation of Invader Zim
>>
>>143269163
I heard Nick used to be the one that aired Looney Tunes shorts, which is a surreal thought to me.
>>
File: 880779.jpg (100 KB, 600x930)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>143269164
A series based off the Skeleton Key comics was also in development around that time but cancelled for unknown reasons.
>>
>>143268744
Forgot to point out this one. Anon wasn't right about this one, that's not why Angry Beavers got canceled. This info is a big misconstruing on Anon's part of what really happened.
It was the series final that was cancelled for those two reasons, not the entire show itself, not to mention that the fourth wall break in question was the characters outright telling the audience that the show is canceled so the exacutives didn't want that affecting viewership for reruns.
>>143269164
Invader Zim was canceled due to parental complaints and the show just costing too much money compared to how much it made.
That's really the only example there is and although it sucks it's not that bad, especially compared to all the canceling Cyma did.
You do know that what a former president does doesn't dictate how later presidents act right? What Herb did had no affect on every poor mistake made by Cyma.
>>
>>143269242
It's crazy to think of, because now viewers expect shows to be canceled.
>>
>>143269265
The very first thing that pops into my mind as soon as a new Nicktoon is announced, is "How many episodes until it's sent to Nicktoons channel to die?"
>>
>>143269163
There really was never a console war level debate with kids networks because they were all more easily accessible as long as your family had cable. Consoles required you to ask your parents to blow hundreds of dollars on one + games so there was a lot more of a war to justify the one you had.

As an aside though, I grew up when Disney Channel was the hot shit during their tweencom popstar era, so going to school and saying I watched CN got kids telling me those were baby shows despite me watching dark shit like Billy and Mandy and Teen Titans while the “mature shows” were shit like Hannah Montana and Suite Life. It was the first time in my life where I realized normies have shit taste.
>>
>>143269313
I was lucky-enough to grow up on Nicktoons, so it felt like I was able to actually keep up with Nicktoons that were airing at the time.
>>
>>143263884
>Invader Zim ended 3 months before Jimmy Neutron did
What
>>
>>143269116
he was speaking about girl's periods in case you didn't understand anon
>>
>>143269265
Well like i said Zim had parental complaints combined with budget issues so that's really a special case.
>>143269313
Don't act like it's just Nickelodeon when CN and Disney have been doing the same as well.
Honestly don't know why people only get pissed off when Nick does it and not as much with CN and/or Disney when they do it. Although honestly i kinda do know why, autistic internet reviewers focusing their hatred towards Nick and only Nick while over glorifying CN and Disney, even to this day. For example the community and ecelebs praise Disney for Owl House yet they hardly talk about how Disney screwed it over.
And honestly the whole mentality presented by your post really has become a self furfilling prophacy at this point.
I mentioned this stuff before in the thread and i already linked to another archived thread that discusses these issues and more so if you wanna check it out the thread is linked in this post >>143247727
>>
>>143269320
Did you watch Naruto? That was the darkest show on Cartoon Network for a time
>>
>>143269484
Don't act like that's not just a syndicated Japanese cartoon.
>>
>>143269181
Yup, they aired right before Nick At Nite. As a child, it made me resent Looney Tunes because it meant that it was time for b&w sitcoms from the '50s.
>>
>>143269507
It was a syndicated japanese cartoon. It was also darker than any of Cartoon Network's original series and pretty much any acquired show they had, including japanese cartoons, Naruto was darker than Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho. Naruto was even darker than Inuyasha and Inuyasha aired on Adult Swim
>>
>>143269471
It's so interesting to me how parents bitching used to get Networks to axe a show and now they just counter with "no, you're the -ist".
>>
>>143269426
Ahhh, only my older sisters had those when I was still young. (They're extremely early zoomers.)
>>
>>143268031
True. First wave CN was basically Boomerang. It didn't get Godly until it went full-tilt "This channel is yours, Mike Lazzo" and it became proto-Adult Swim. Cartoon Network before Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast was not a good channel.
>>
>>143269528
>b&w sitcoms from the '50s.
Yikes, I'm glad I grew up with George Lopez-era Nick@Nite.
>>
>>143269543
>Darker than YYH.
No. There were other, darker anime like Outlaw Star. Plus, didn't [as] or Toonami air Berserk?
>>
>>143269567
Swat Kats was kino.
>>
>>143265767
Nick always felt weird with the "kids rule" messaging. It felt like MTV-styled marketed rebellion. I liked CN having a focus on the cartoons themselves and being bump-heavy. Something like: https://youtu.be/zYY82nr_fkY?si=oH88EGAJnz01KZuu : wouldn't have been on Nick, not during previous ad space anyways.
>>
>>143269577
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis had its moments.
>>
>>143269692
God, I wish I didn't grow up during the Nood-era...
>>
>>143269484
No but even at the time I realized those kids didn’t even watch the network because all the shit on Toonami alone looked infinitely cooler than some teen actors spouting cringy one liners and canned laughter
>>
>>143269593
Fuck yeah it was. Although it was strange when they had a villain based on Jay Leno.

I remember it being paired with 2 Stupid Dogs which I basically watched for Super Secret Secret Squirrel.
>>
>>143246091
when I was a tween everyone I knew had already moved on to MTV so I never knew who those shows were for
>>
>>143246256
Hey Arnold is a strange beast. It's basically one of those "very special episodes" but stretched out to an entire series and competently made.
>>
File: 1698692086878065.jpg (704 KB, 3000x1680)
704 KB
704 KB JPG
>>143269543
Honestly feels like you're using this as an excuse to gush over Naruto while not on /a/.
>>
>>143269579
What makes YYH darker than Naruto? Naruto was rated TV-PG on Toonami, while YYH was just a Y7 rating. Naruto had blood and dark themes and kids were trying to kill each other
>>
>>143269181
Looney Tunes used to run everywhere, along with Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, and the whole Hanna-Barbara roster. If you had the money to get the rights, you could air them on any half-baked Pee-Wee's Playhouse rip-off of a show you could pitch. Then Ted Turner bought them all out and dumped everything on Cartoon Network because he didn't like people playing with his toys.
>>
>>143269797
So... it's a monopoly now? Fuck my life...
>>
>>143269796
>Naruto had blood and dark themes and kids were trying to kill each other
You mean basic bitch hour?
>>
>>143269815
Welcome to capitalist Hollywood. It only gets worse.
>>
>>143246091
In all fairness, the most iconic thing about Nick is sliming people and they got the idea from You Can't Do That On Television, a live-action show they got from Canada. Nickelodeon has always had live action, they used to carry Mr. Wizard who would do science experiments for kids.
>I think I may be the only living person who liked Roundhouse
>In fact, Roundhouse and All That were both just trying to be You Can't Do That On Television
>I guess I just like sketch comedy
>>
>>143269471
Because Nick does it way more frequently.
>>
>>143246058
1999 - 2000 was a depressing time for Nickelodeon, because that was when the network got rid of so many of their pre-1998 series, even in reruns. Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Clarissa Explains It All, Rocko's Modern Life, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Are You Afraid of the Dark, etc. Some still aired occasionally afterwards like Rocko still aired atleast once each year until 2007, but they weren't airing regularly anymore and if you wanted to see some of these shows, you had to pay for digital cable to see Rocko on Nicktoons, the game shows on Nick GAS, and Pete and Pete on The N, which shared channel space with Noggin for a time

The Angry Beavers to me feels like the last Nicktoon to come out in the 90s, because just a few months after The Wild Thornberrys came out and CatDog started airing regularly (CatDog came out in April 1998, but didn't begin it's regular run until October of that year, since it aired the first episode as a "sneak preview" in April), Nick began getting rid of many shows

They also basically got rid of any acquired rerun they had on their lineup by the time May 2000 came around and only acquired a few afterwards like Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, and they re-acquired Tiny Toon Adventures. Even then, Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs were only on Nick for like a year and Animaniacs aired at 6AM for most of that run, though Tiny Toons did get 2 years on Nick when they re-aired it, even if the second year was only on at like 6AM
>>
>>143269829
Yu Yu Hakusho had no inappropriate content on the level of Naruto. Naruto was the show that the cool kids watched (those normies who thought Hannah Montana was "mature" are lame) because it was edgy and violent and had Sasuke who is the most badass kid ever wanting to kill his brother
>>
>>143269579
Outlaw Star was not a dark anime. That was just a goofy dumb kiddy anime. Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist were the anime for the cool anime fans
>>
File: 1710824943751619.png (436 KB, 505x567)
436 KB
436 KB PNG
Nickelodeon was evil from the start sadly.
>>
>>143269883
Doubt it. Remember how many cartoons got screwed over during CN Real?
>>
>>143269916
So these posts you're making is just satire.
>>
>>143270004
It's not. I watched every episode of Outlaw Star and Yu Yu Hakusho. They weren't violent. Naruto was violent and that's what made it the coolest anime for kids back in 2005 when it got dubbed and came on Toonami for the first time
>>
>>143269886
Late 1998 was where the mid 90s culture was phasing out and the new Y2K era culture took over like Pokemon
>>
>>143270026
OK then, tell me, what is the darkest moment in Naruto?
>>
>>143270038
I'd even say before then when trash TV, extreme sports, and rap metal started picking up steam and Howard Stern became normalized. At one time, Hulk Hogan being a heel would kill a company but it revitalized WCW in 1996.
>>
>>143270110
I just told you Sasuke wanting to kill his brother because his brother killed the Uchiha clan is a super dark moment

Characters died in the series too. Neji died
>>
>>143270110
You have to self-harm to do the summoning spell. You know how many kids tried to draw blood by biting their thumb? And not just kids, autistic convention people too.
>Just because Naruto sucks, don't act like it wasn't a violent show with lots of stabby weapons and death
And for darkest moment, how about Sasuke's brother killing his entire clan except for Sasuke? That isn't exactly light-hearted.
>>
>>143270200
Oh no way, I referenced the same thing
>>143270223
>>
>>143246058
You were supposed to stop watching once you were in high school anyway.
>>
>>143246058
Nick just doesn't have many shows or moved everything to Paramount.
All day on their two or three channels it's eight hour blocks Spongebob, Loud House, and Thundermans and iCarly and maybe some movies on the weekends.
NickGAS and TeenNick had The Splat/NickRewind with a few hour blocks of 90s shows.
At least Cartoon Network and Disney have one or two hour blocks of four or five of their modern shows and even older shows.
>>
>>143246058
>All the live-action shows by then were stupid and retarded as well like iCarly.

All the good live action shows only got a few seasons, though some got 20+ episodes.
I loved The Troop, but that only got two seasons with forty episodes.
Big Time Rush and Supah Ninjas were pretty good too and almost got 20 episodes per season.
>>
>>143269989
And Nick has treated every single cartoon over the last 20 years with the Spongebob standard and all were sent to Nicktoons to die, except The Loud House.
>>
>>143270200
>>143270223
So yeah, basic bitch hour.
>>
>>143270390
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
You clearly have never watched Naruto then
>>
>>143269543
Inuyasha was on Adult Swim mostly for Miroku who often fucked and sexually harassed women by rubbing their asses all the time. That and the minor nudity.
>>
>>143246091
Just about every live action show without a laugh track was great. Clarissa Explains it All might be the exception, but the laugh track didn't seem as obvious.
>>
>>143270373
Yeah, treated no differently from how CN and Disney does business as well. Especially nowadays.
>>
>>143270425
Disney and CN combined is nowhere close to the amount of times Nick has done it. Of course they're guilty, but you're focusing on specific periods rather than overall the last 20 fucking years.
The point is how recurring and typical it is with Nick over 2 decades vs. various periods and shows with the others.
>>
>>143270425
I'm surprised they cancelled Phineas and Ferb while greenlighting Hamster & Gretel.
I thought The Ghost and Molly McGee would have stayed around for a while.
>>
>>143270422
That's because in the 90s the live action shows were recorded in front of a real audience. They stopped doing it with Drake and Josh.
>>
>>143270413
I have. I also watched stuff like Death note and Angels of Death.
Claiming Naruto to be the peak of darkness is just silly.
>>
>>143246091
i hated all the live action shit aswell
i thought kenan and kel was okey
>>
>>143269844
Japan is however fixing it.
>>
>>143270501
All That (Seasons 1-6), Kenan and Kel and The Amanda Show are still legit funny.
>>
>>143270499
You said YYH was darker than Naruto and now you have to explain to me why you actually unironically think YYH, as well as Outlaw Star are darker than Naruto
>>
>>143246544
my sister also loved that shit
women are potato brains
>>
>>143247727
no
there was an obvious change in writing in season 4 of spongebob
>>
>>143270471
I am focusing on the last 20 years. Not to mention that saying it happened across the span of the last 20 years is just false.
20 years ago is 2004, and this didn't become an issue until 2006, and then it ended in around 2018, specifically the time when Cyma Zarghami was in charge, so that's not 20 years, it's 12 years and it ended years ago, so your the one focusing on a specific period, the specific Zarghami era, of Nickelodeon.
>>
>>143246058
>Tiny Toon Adventures
Am I the only one who actually liked that more than Animaniacs as a kid? I watched both on Fox Kids back in the day and Tiny Toons always came off to me as the better show as a 6 year old
>>
>>143270536
I'm not that same anon dummy. You seriously couldn't tell that you were talking to two different Anons?
>>
>>143270576
It really wasn't. The show still had the same style of humor and all of the characters where the same as they were from the start. With the exception of Sandy who went from a tomboy to a nerd for some reason.
Aside from Sandy everything was pretty much the same.
>>
>>143270471
I thought Cartoon Network is just as bad, though that due to its connections with Discovery/HBO.
Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart, OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes, Elliott from Earth, Steven Universe Future, and Mighty Magiswords were cancelled after their first or second seasons. Infinity Train might be an exception with a few more seasons.
>>
>>143270517
Japan isn't fixing anything, people are just more weaboo than before, Hollywood is still getting worse.
>>
>>143270699
Yes they are, otherwise Sanae Takaichi wouldn't be running for prime minister right now.
>>
>>143270742
How does Japanese politics affect hollywood?
>>
>>143270761
More then you think.
>>
>>143270677
It hasn't been doing it as long as Nick.
>>143270585
I'm done talking to you, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>143246403
No thanks I'd rather slice my balls off that show is soap opera fodder and boring as fuck, like Wallace and Gromit Curse of the WereRabbit levels of boring
>>
>>143269796
Yusuke being killed episode one, hence the whole Ghost Detective thing hits hard methinks.
>>
File: Aisha Gene.jpg (293 KB, 1425x1080)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
>>143269939
>The space anime with the womanizing/whore banging space gunman, the shoot outs both on ground and space, the personal stakes and nudity is dumb and kiddy.
>Let alone dissing Outlaw Star at all.
Man, I hate what this fucking site became.
>>
>>143251193
Thatd be cool, or a mega, would also be curious to know if he happens to also have anything else that got delisted from p+
>>143252201
i mean whats stopping nick from just airing them on tv?
>>143267974
>(plot too thin for theatrical),
I think it was just that it had competition when it was released and it may have done better had it been released some other time
>>
>>143263794
What was wrong with Artie again?
>>
>>143271295
Nothing, but the parents complained so much about him possibly being a pedo that Nick ultimately had to write him out of the show.
>>
>>143271184
>i mean whats stopping nick from just airing them on tv?
If they're written off they can't air anywhere.
>>
>>143271580
What? He was obviously an imaginary friend
>>
>>143247727
Barnyard and Penguins are two of the best shows Nick ever made and basically saved the late 00s on TV animation aside from Chowder & Flapjack on CN and Phineas and Ferb on Disney. T.U.F.F. Puppy wasn't amazing but it isn't shit like everyone tries to say it is either. This thread is full of doomers who never watched any of this shit. Hey Arnold is a good show, and yeah it is down to earth and that's great. Barnyard and Penguins are both retarded as fuck but they are funny as hell, and that's great. Millennials cannot seem to get over the fact good things were made past 2004. And let's not act like the 90s/early 00s didn't have stinkers either. Half of the 15 Klasky Csupo shows sucked ass before Dan Schneider replaced it with half of his own shows sucking ass.
>>
File: Donkey Kong sad ponder.png (157 KB, 470x349)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>143263794
It's so weird to me watching this and remembering what a cultural force bands like REM and They Might Be Giants were. Like this song is so clearly directly inspired by them it's insane. I miss that late 80s/early 90s indie sound so much.
>>
>>143263798
I hated Mighty B as a kid too it wasn't just you. It was so gross, and not in a funny way like other Nick shows. When they tried to wedge it inbetween SpongeBob, FoP or Barnyard reruns it pissed me off.
>>
>>143269955
This isn't regular schizophrenia, this is advanced schizophrenia.
>>
>>143269796
They main character of YYH literally dies in the first episode, there are scenes showing people having their limbs ripped off and bones shattered, and near the end of the series the main character shows that he's outright OK with humans being killed and eaten for the survival of another race. What fucking universe are you from where Naruto is darker?
>>
>>143272990
Naruto was probably the first anime he ever saw, leave him be. He's probably a teenager given his obsession with darkness too and... honestly just his willingness to defend Naruto at all. It used to be outright banned on /a/ for how shit it was.
>>
File: Pie_Pod.gif (1.3 MB, 220x164)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>>143267436
>>143267621
It was the Pie Pod from What Would You Do?
>>
>>143270608
Probably not but Animaniacs felt like a bridge of sorts. It was way smarter than Tiny Toons but not as smart as the Simpsons. Then again, I grew up on Mad Magazine and SNL so I'm a sucker for pop culture references.
>>
>>143246058
Can we talk about how visually impressive KaBlam! was and still is?
>>
>>143246058
I know Ren and Stimpy was Nick's biggest hit prior to Rugrats becoming huge, even though both came out around the same time, but was Ren and Stimpy more popular with older audiences than younger ones? I ask this because when looking at ratings from 1997, Ren and Stimpy and Rocko reruns were actually performing worse than reruns of Tiny Toon Adventures, even though Tiny Toons didn't even have any new episodes on Nickelodeon. I know Ren and Stimpy's popularity died off around 1994, so it makes me wonder if a lot of that popularity came from 12 year olds rather than 6 year olds
>>
>>143273966
and keep in mind, Rocko still performed well in 1997 and still got into top 50 cable ratings charts. It just didn't do as well as Tiny Toon Adventures, despite Tiny Toons only ever having reruns on Nick
>>
>>143246671
The quickest and easiest way to make something less interesting is to have it happen in a school.
>>143249233
I remember that they actually gave a proper ending and resolution to the show too. That was nice.
>>143251516
And now I just read this post and don't know what to think.
>>143269528
Dude, you didn't stick around to watch those Nick at Nite shows? I dream of Genie, Bewitched, Happy Days, those are the ones that stick out most to me. I loved them.
>>143269854
>YCDTOT
The goat.
>>143270026
>own Outlaw Star on DVD
>own YYH on DVD
>Watched all of Naruto up to timeskip
Anon, none of the shows are particularly dark. YYH is definitely the most dark though. OS is the most adult, and YYH is the most mature. Naruto is probably the most fun though. It's okay to like Naruto. It's just weird that you're arguing over its style choices which are very clearly not true.
>>143270413
The darkest part of Naruto was probably actually Zabuza and Hao's backstory. Naruto blew it's darkness load very early on in the series.
>>143271295
He went full retard and people found that to be offensive. The 90s was actually when political correctness was starting to take hold on the culture at large. It wasn't stopped back then and it's a monster now. I don't think it's sustainable though and will eventually be killed off.
>>
>>143273886
Yes. Yes we can. So long as talk about the best part of Kablam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8SLMP1oFY&ab_channel=ClassicNick
I used to nearly pass out from laughing so hard at this show when I was a kid.
>>143273966
Ren and Stimpy was an odd case of a show. There was definitely nothing else like it on tv at the time. In some ways this was an appeal, but in other ways, you'd watch the show and realize why there was nothing else like it on tv. The show had some moments which go on to become iconic, such as log, don't whiz on the electric fence, and happy happy joy joy, but for each one of those, there was something else in the episode that was ugly and uncomfortable to sit through. In a lot of ways, the show was just throwing so many things at the wall that some of it inevitably stuck, but a lot of it was shit that we've now all forgotten about too. People like to reference Ren and Stimpy, but not watch it.
>>
>>143273550
>What Would You Do?
The theme song was such an earworm. I used to get hyped for the theme song when the show would come on
>>
>>143274119
Yeah, but we really all just watched it for the pies and mess. It feels like a chicken and the egg situation. Was the show made because kids liked the messy situations or did kids like messy situations because of these shows? Of course What Would You Do can't take the credit for being the first, as Double Dare came before it.
>>
>>143246058
I honestly never liked Drake and Josh. That show always felt overrated to me and Drake and Megan were so fucking unlikable and not even in a charming way

I liked Kenan and Kel way more, because while Kenan was a jerk with his schemes, he was very charming and Kel was dumb in a hilarious way. The only character I liked on Drake and Josh was Josh
>>
>>143246058
Remember those days when you were sick and couldn't go to school and had to watch Gullah Gullah Island and Blue's Clues?
>>
>>143274337
Thank god Looney Tunes were also on the network.
>>
>>143246058
So how would you rank the first 8 Nicktoons personally?

Doug
Rugrats
The Ren and Stimpy Show
Rocko's Modern Life
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Hey Arnold!
KaBlam!
The Angry Beavers
>>
Didn't expect this thread to go this long
>>
>>143270660
you dumb
>>
>>143269939
>That was just a goofy dumb kiddy anime
kill yo self nigga
>>
>>143270869
Well for starters, so? And lastly, they've been doing it since CN Real.
Imagine not being able to handle people calling out CN and Disney alongside Nick.
>>
>>143274738
And you're nostalgia blind.
>>
>>143274487
From top to bottom
>Rocko's
>KaBlam!
>Ren & Stimpy
>Real Monsters
>Doug
>Rugrats
>Angry Beavers
>Hey Arnold

I'm only going by my personal enjoyment. I know Hey Arnold and Rugrats and even Angry Beavers have their devoted fans but I just have a soft spot for Doug.
>>
>>143273966
You could see Ren & Stimpy on MTV as well as Nickelodeon.
>>
File: 1618426866959.jpg (144 KB, 693x1152)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>143274487
>Hey Arnold!
>Rugrats
>Rocko's Modern Life
>The Ren and Stimpy Show
>The Angry Beavers
>Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
>Doug
>KaBlam!
Personal enjoyment, KaBlam is only that low because I have few memories of watching it.
>>
>>143246058
Ya
>>
>>143246058
Oh
>>
>>143274487
Always made time for Angry Beavers and KaBlam. Hey Arnold and Rocko were second tier but usually watched. Rest is crap I’d only watch if nothing good was on Cartoon Network
>>
>>143246058
What kind of people would say such like that?
>>
>>143246058
Ok
>>
>>143246544
Not a zoomer, but I used to watch iCarly and Drake &Josh, mainly because I liked the Amanda Show. I also liked Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. As for Disney, I did watch Even Stevens, Lizzie McGuire, Phil of the Future, That's So Raven, Cory in the House, and Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
>>
>>143246615
>>143246663
I'm not sure about Nick, but Disney Channel did it because, while they were making shows for everyone, they realized more girls were watching the network, so they doubled down.
>>
>>143246737
He's talking about Carly an Sam's friend/editor, not the forgotten e-celeb.
>>
>>143258066
Hard to believe it was made by the guy who made Johnny Test.
>>
>>143264100
Kinda wished the showed leaned more into the guide angle. That episode where Cookie was constantly late for class hits me, a bit.
>>
>>143246580
I wasn't into Legends, back then, but I did like Double Dare and loved Wild & Crazy Kids.
>>
>>143246256
It was definitely more raw than any nicktoon at the time. It was one of the few shows where the kids actually felt like real kids.
>>
>>143246058
Looking back, I realize that I only liked a small handful of shows across a few channels, and everything else I associate with the 90s is just stuff that I sat through while I waited for those shows. Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman TAS, The Simpsons, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, South Park, and everything else to me was basically filler. Kids comedy bored the shit out of me outside Ren and Stimpy, because that show kind of pushed the limits. I didn't even like Rocko as much, because I thought the animation looked cheap and ugly, even at the time.
>>
>>143278671
I actually liked all the Nick game show stuff more in my 20s than I did as a kid, because my friends and I used to drink and riff on the old episodes that they showed on Nick GAS.
>>
>>143246058
Every show you remember aged like milk except for Pete and Pete. That show is fucking timeless.
>>
>>143249432
>as he himself was heavily influence by the Nostalgia Critic

He also took a lot from Mobrostudios' early stuff..
>>
File: 1701890703755028.gif (1.69 MB, 416x312)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB GIF
Cartoon Network sucks now because you grew up.
>>
>>143261637
>Men spend their money differently.
>>
>>143250131
>It's funny they have a pool episode that's honestly scary than the recent haunted pool movie.
god that episode fucked me up as a kid
>>
>older shows were just as shitty as what's being made today, you just liked them because you were a dumb kid
Funny, I keep going back and looking up shows I enjoyed as a kid that I haven't watched in 20+ years and they're all just as good if not better than I remember. Turns out that if a show doesn't treat the audience like they're retarded and just focuses on being entertaining, it tends to be good.
>>
>>143246274
>I don't know why kids like retarded shows.
Ask someone twenty+ years older than you what they think of your hobbies.
>>
>>143246274
>I don't know why kids like retarded shows.
Because they are served retarded shows and told to watch them.

Unfortunately TV executives learned long ago that in the absence of anything good, retarded children with undeveloped brains will watch whatever they are given and learn to like it so spending time and effort to make something actually good is entirely unnecessary if you catch them young enough.
>>
>>143267974
>>closing Nick Studios because he hated Florida
>>
>>143246058
Almost to 400 replies
>>
>>143247727
The difference between classic Spongebob and modern Spongebob is that the classic jokes were actually fucking funny, it doesn’t matter that modern Spongebob characters still had the same personalities as they did in older seasons because the writers couldn’t land any fucking jokes after the Spongebob movie.
>>
O
>>
>>143279951
No, far from it.
>>
>>143247727
>For example, SpongeBob from the late 2000s and 2010s is the same as it was when it first started out.
People will say retarded shit like this and it just makes me wonder how autistic they are.

The writing is shit. The pacing is shit. The comedic timing doesn't exist. The "jokes" are all just lazy grossout humor. All the characters just scream at each other and that's meant to be funny.

I'm so sick of retarded zoomers who grew up on poorly made slop trying to gaslight me into pretending there isn't a clear and measurable difference in the quality of writing for most shows made in the last 10 years or so compared to what came before.
>>
>>143279951
Cartoon Network sucks now because every person with talent either left or was forced out.
>>
>>143274487
>Doug
>Hey Arnold!
>KaBlam!
>The Ren and Stimpy Show
>Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
>Rugrats
>The Angry Beavers

Rugrats would have been higher, but the post-Paul Germain seasons + Dil drag it down a bit.
>>
>>143284377
Also Rocko's Modern Life would be between Ren & Stimpy + Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.
>>
>>143272948
I know what you mean, indie music and music in general had such a texture to it that’s lost from todays tunes. A shame for realsies
>>
I never expected this thread to get 400 replies
>>
>>143285086
well then you're retarded

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.