[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Jashi.jpg (141 KB, 1134x1080)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Was their relationship really THAT bad? I've seen worse romances than this.
>>
Then you don't understand what people actually took issue with
>>
>>143310953
I don't mind Ashi or this relationship but it just felt like this was not the story to do this. It should've been alot more focused on Jack, the relationship just felt like it took away from that.
>>
>>143310953
It was rushed as fuck (as was everything after episode 3), but I liked how it pissed everyone off.
>>
>>143310953
Anyone got the webm of twitter reacting to this with all the Akus laughing?
>>
Jack did not need a love interest
>>
>>143310953
It had no place in fucking samurai jack of all things
>>
>>143312303
Dunno about that, found this though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IllSfxDXNvg
>>
>>143310953
>I've seen worse romances than this
name 80
>>
File: coned elf.png (349 KB, 500x596)
349 KB
349 KB PNG
>>143310953
I always preferred Jack as straight but aceromantic. Him getting with a woman like 50 years younger than him after murdering her sisters was also a deadass bruh moment.
>>
>aku is semen
there's faggots that tell you every comic book movie would be better if t were R-rated and "adult" and then I remember when Genndy had a chance to make "adult" Samurai Jack, he made Aku a living pile of semen that anyone can just use to get pregnant
>>
I don't think he should have time traveled back. Erased all the people he'd met previously from existence as well. Big loop of nothing.
>>
people who hate jashi for not being gay are little rabbis kvetching
>>
>>143310953
My problem isn't the relationship it self so much as how predictable and cliche it all was.
The second Ashi gets that scene in the first episode that shows she's different from her sisters and in awe of the beauty of nature and butterfkies and shit? Anyone that's got basic pattern recognition can figure pretty much the rest of the season from there:
> They wouldn't give her this scene unless she's going to be the token good sister
> They wouldn't add a token good sister if they weren't going to add a love interest
->They wouldn't make the token love interest Aku's daughter unless they mean to do something with it.
> The time portals are said to be gone + Jack's love interest is Aku's daughter = Ashi must have the ability to create more time portals
I know the concept of media literacy or recognizing tropes has turned into a weird tribalist meme for some reason but this was predictable as fuck.
Same goes to the whole Punished Jack thing. Anyone that's been around the block knows your hero doesn't grow a depression beard unless he's going to get a redemption arc and shave it off before the climax.
>>
Jack fell in love with three women and they were all Aku

What does it mean?
>>
>>143310953
Gendy wanted his waifu and couldn't keep it in his pants. Textbook case of pre-nut obscurity.
Always remember to rub one out before tackling any important tasks or decision.
That said, I'm not viscerally opposed to the idea, it's just that genndy massively whiffed the execution.
Besides the rushed development of the romance and jack turning into a nervous tenager. Ashi got defanged so fast and so hard she basically became a blank character.
>>
>>143310953
Jack had shown more chemistry with Aku in magical drag, then this character.
A rush job that didn't need to happen.
>>
>>143310953
The relationship itself is not a bad concept but you needed way more episodes to do it for it to feel suitably tragic at the end. The audience never got a chance to "get used to" Ashi or get to know her, you just had to buy that jack was into her in the few episodes they had together
>>
>>143312550
>They wouldn't add a token good sister if they weren't going to add a love interest

Why wouldn't this just be a daughter surrogate rather than a romance? You're the one that's media illiterate.
>>
>>143312714
Why would it be a daughter surrogate?
>>
>>143312501
Nothing? He saved his kingdom and all of the people that aku was torturing for thousands of years.

You really think the handful of stragglers still alive in the future are worth more than the countless lives taken by aku just because you have a personal attachment to them? You're a dick
>>
>>143312723
Because Jack is old and has more consistently defended and protected children over the course of the series than shown romantic interest in women
>>
why couldnt he have fallen for someone his own age

>>143312737
it was established in the second ep thats NOT AN HONORABLE OPTION
>>
>>143310984
>>143312317
These.
>>
>>143312742
>than shown romantic interest in women
That's why. Genndy's of the oldschool mindset that says that a hero's journey is a metaphor for a man earning his right to procreate. As a result he had to establish Jack as hetero before time ran out.
>>
I still can't believe you guys didn't like season 5. I thought it was as fun as a barrel of monkeys.
>>
>>143310953
I doubt anyone would have hated their romance had it not been used as a shitty deus ex machina to end the series. Didn't help said deus ex machina created a retarded time paradox and ran against the themes the series and season was building towards.
>>
File: 4773700.jpg (40 KB, 1092x762)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>143310953
It could have worked if it wasn't condensed into one fucking season. As much as they were propping up Season 5 to be hardcore no nonsense human killing Jack, he only did that for all of one episode, that being the Daughters of Aku. They should have greenlit it for another 2 seasons to build up their relationship while satisfying Jack's ever growing callous murth with finally killing people. Jack should have kept the rugged look longer too, before returning to composed form
>>
Jack didn't need a love interest.

If they had made it a mentor/student dynamic instead where Jack is teaching evil how to be good then it would've been perfect. Then they could've ended with Jack going back to the past and leaving the future in the hands of a redeemed fragment of Aku.
>>
>>143312997
this this this
>>
>>143310953
The relationship itself is fine, it just derailed the show's purpose to the point where the focus was purely on their relationship rather than Jack and Aku's rivalry.
>>
>>143312551
Light x Darkness is the ultimate tsundere ship
>>
>>143312927
It was kino up until Jack and Ashi's fight concludes and they get eaten by a giant monster.
Then it kind of just went off the rails.
>>
File: 1599175907927.png (2.87 MB, 1062x3148)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
>7 years ago this year
Take me back...
>>
>>143310953
I loved it.
>>143312317
After 50 years of celibacy, he needed to get laid, or else he’d never be at 100% fortitude to defeat Aku.
>>
File: 1641403751103.jpg (467 KB, 1214x933)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
>>143313194
>doesn't include April Fools
that whole week was amazing I haven't seen butthurt that bad in years
>>
>>143313194
>implying people cried at the ending
i watched it live and i remember by the west coast rerun trying to watch it again and force myself to tear up just to trick myself into feeling emotional and i still couldn't cry at that fucking comedically timed fade away ashi does. everyone else was either shitposting about how the tree looked like her ugly face in profile or that genndy was a hack for ripping off an anime
>>
>>143312861
>it was established in the second ep thats NOT AN HONORABLE OPTION

What does this mean? Jacks quest to go back to the past is inherently dishonorable and aku was based actually by throwing jack into the post apocalypse?
>>
>>143310953
>Was their relationship really THAT bad?
No. Building up a last minute romance just for it to end in a forced tragedy was THAT bad.
>>
>>143311609
And not for the reasons you believe
>>
>>143313194
Man this really brings me back, it really was not the journey but the friends we made along the way
>>143313264
BUT THE FUCKING SZESCHUAN SAUCE ANON
>>
>>143310953

It was so bad I never finished the last couple of episodes after they kissed. I mean I know what happens, but watching Genndy blow it all up because he couldn't not fuck the waifu just took all the wind out of the narrative for me.
>>
I rather believe that killing Aku just diverged the timeline and Ashi was plucked back into it.
Everything and everyone that existed in the show are still there but Jack is yet to meet them again.
>>
If you think about it throwing someone into the future is the best villain play ever because even if you do nothing but rape and pillage for 5000 years it's still even more unethical to undo it
>>
File: nmly8d5b0nuy.jpg (1016 KB, 1504x6536)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
>>143313194
Don`t forget about this one.
>>
>>143310953
Korrasami is hundred times worse and its effects have been a disaster for the industry
>>
>>143313194
It was pretty overrated ngl.
>>
>>143310953
Yes. The ending was ripped from TTGL.
>>
>>143313194
Everyone loved the first three episodes, then April Fool’s and how episode four ended immediately cleaved /co/, and by episode five there was nothing but absolute revulsion for it, culminating in /co/ collectively screaming at how Genndy abandoned every single message the show established in previous seasons just to rip off TTGL.
>>
>>143316097
>>143316158
The thing is I might've defended it if he ripped off TTGL, the problem is he did it poorly.
TTGL's ending worked because Simon and Nia went into it *knowing* that Nia was going to die and accepting the risks. In Jack's case it comes as a surprise because there's just no time to develop that plot point; there was too much to cover and the ending is super rushed.
And then he just retcons it anyway in a fucking tie in game so that Ashi lives.
The moral is: If you're gonna copy something for your own story, at least understand why it works before you do.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.