[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: alan moore.jpg (528 KB, 1070x1119)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>hates you for liking superheroes
>believes in magic
>>
File: rorschach.jpg (40 KB, 274x505)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>143311794
>>
>>143311794
Worshipping an obscure god is based. Pick yourself an obscure god and worship it.
>>
>>143311794
>>143311803
Hot take: Rorschach is Alan Moore's self insert. Change my mind.
>>
>>143311876
Is that why he hates him so much
>>
>>143311794
>hates you for liking superheroes
When did I say that
>>
>>143311794
Careful, OP.
https://youtu.be/Y8P8WXXT1DM?si=f7t_HEPZeTEVPsJp
>>
He doesn't believe in the supernatural at all. His belief in "magic" is purely an aesthetic lens for his belief in the power of art to alter the consciousness of the masses. This is all readily available information which he has spoken on many times. He enjoys being seen as a cranky wizard because he understands the importance of the performance of identity.
>>
>With his first wife Phyllis, whom he married in the early 1970s, he has two daughters, Leah and Amber. The couple also had a mutual lover, Deborah, although the relationship between the three ended in the early 1990s as Phyllis and Deborah left Moore, taking his daughters with them.
>>
File: 1455212858140.jpg (15 KB, 400x481)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>143311942
This moore guy sounds like he was taken out of a comic book
>>
>>143311876
There's definitely some of Moore in Rorschach. That bit about unpleasant menial labor in his youth is one thing.
>>143311889
He doesn't hate Rorschach. He hates adult superhero-worshipping fanboys and he hates DC.
>>
File: idiot.jpg (71 KB, 827x569)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>143311794
>actually thinks alan moore hates people for liking superheroes
>>
>>143311942
>FFM
kinda based
>>
>>143311942
Why is this guy considered some kind of intellectual?
>>
>>143311794
>describes himself as an anarchist
>support Britain's membership in the European Union, the most bureaucratized entity that exists in the post-Soviet world
>>
>>143312241
He's just a nerd, not an intellectual, but what does your question have to do with what you replied to?
>>
>>143312241
For a comic book writer he seems more intelectual.
>>143311942
Well this explains League of Extraordinaire Gentlemen.
>>
>>143312241
he makes left wing points
that's it
>>
>>143311838
hipster logic
>>
>>143311794
Fucking based
>>
>>143311924
>He doesn't believe in the supernatural at all.
He's unironically claimed to have met John Constantine- twice- and is currently putting the finishing touches on something called The Moon and Serpent Bumper Book of Magic.

>He enjoys being seen as a cranky wizard because cranky old wizards are feared while cranky old ex-hippie/anarchists-turned-mediocre-funnybook-writers-turned-failed-novelists are just pitied.
>>
>>143312823
He was a great comic book writer.
>>
>>143311924
>he hasn't heard Moore tell the story of the time he took acid and summoned Asmodai
>>
>>143312241
Firstly, no matter what anyone says, this >>143312547
and this >>143312363
The bar is so low for comics that anything that presents an ACTUAL FUCKING STORY instead of being generic capeshit made to exist purely for being capeshit or generic indie multiple panels of retarded hipsters talking over and over that only other hipsters like for being "cartoons with depth" that it instantly gets critical acclaim.
That's also why Oesterheld is also considered to be an "intellectual" for reading books, and doing the same thing.
It's also why most comic book writers use it as a writing exercise for pitches like Millar does.
No one takes this shit seriously.
Mostly due to the previously mentioned garbage, but the US government told me they have better things to do than add an amendment to the constitution that bans indie comics about people talking and capeshit, so you know, nothing will ever happen.
>>
>>143311794
Based
>>
>>143311838
Or create your own like KingCobraJFS
>>
>>143312823
it's kayfabe. I doubt he actually believes he met any fictional characters. and he redefined "magic" just to mean how people's perception can be manipulated through language e.g. when you hear a description of something and start to "see it" in your head
>>
>>143312939
I mean, that’s what Neil Gaiman says about magic too.
>>
>>143312955
It's been the core idea behind a number of prominent magical practices over the past century. It's the entire basis of the chaos magick Morrison is known for.
>>
>>143311794
Isn't the point of his "worship" that he knows it's a sham but he enjoys the ritual and ceremony? Isn't that why he chose a patron deity that was one of the oldest known scams since Glycon was a glorified sock puppet?
>>
>>143311924
bro is doing post meta modernism
>>
>>143311803
>non-Gibbons Rorschach
Faggot.
>>
>>143314412
None of those words mean what you think they mean. What he's doing is very, very old. He's playing the village wiseman, the oracle, the shaman, the priest, the storyteller. Humans have always produced this type of person as part of any functioning society. He's just more honest about his motivations, methodology, and goals than the average mystic in antiquity (or today).
>>
>>143312823
At this point, all of it is just to add to the mystique of the things they write. Moore, Jamie Delano, Brian Azzarello and god knows who else have said they've met Constantine. And Morrison has some wacky ass stories about Superman, Captain Marvel and a bacteria that was killing him.
They know its just bullshit, but keep the mythos to make people think comics are some magic thing.
>>
>>143311803
>non-Gibbons Rorschach
Based.
>>
>>143311794
He doesn't hate us for liking supers, he thinks we're immature for not moving past them, to him superhero stuff should mainly be for kids.
>>
My favorite Moore story is about Damon Lindelof writing him to tell him he's writing the Watchmen HBO series. The letter starts off with "Dear Mr. Moore, I'm one of the bastards currently destroying Watchmen." I suspect that the letter that Lindelof released to reassure the fans was just a revised letter that he had originally sent to Alan Moore. That thing was cringe incarnate and the clearest example of the divide between writers like Alan Moore and people like Lindelof who is clearly the kind of nerd who can only regurgitate facts and phrases from the media he enjoys. Lindelof talks about holding his dying father's hand and this is what he says:

>"I hold his cool hand and I try not to pray to god because he detested the very idea of God so I pray to his gods. I pray to Cthulhu. I pray to 42, the Eternal Cosmic Number. I pray to Dr Manhattan, far away in a galaxy less complicated than this one. The television is on. The Lakers win the championship. My father never cared about basketball. He didn't even know the rules. When he dies, I finally understand that I don't know the rules either. No one does."

How exactly did he think this letter was going to down with Moore?
>>
>>143315699
What a fucking idiot. I've been meaning to watch Lost, but I kind of don't want to now.
>>
>>143311942
>Phyllis and Deborah left Moore, taking his daughters with them.
LMAO get fucked commie
>>
>>143311838
cringe
>>
>>143316530
He's remarried, and he gets along with all of them.
>>
>>143315699
Oh god that letter. I get secondhand embarrassment just from remembering that story. And he even wrote it mimicking the nonlinear perception of time with Dr. Manhattan. He probably thought he'd be THE one to get Moore's blessing and get him out of his shell to say "you know what, the faceless corporation that strip mined my work and trampled over my wishes isn't so bad because now we've got Watchmen toys and an extended franchise universe."
>>
>>143316553
surely...
>>
>>143311924
In his takedown on Grant Morrison he described his magical experience as something he believed to be real
>Having removed myself as much as possible from a comic scene that seemed more the province of posturing would-be pop-stars than people with a genuine respect for themselves, their craft or the medium in which they were working, I could only marvel when the customary several months after I’d announced my own entry into occultism and the visionary episode which I believed Steve Moore and myself to have experienced in January, 1994, Grant Morrison apparently had his own mystical vision and decided that he too would become a magician. (It wasn’t until I read Lance Parkin’s biography that I learned that as a result of Morrison’s apparently unwitnessed magical epiphany he had boldly decided to pursue a visionary path of ‘materialism and hedonism’. Could I point out for the benefit of anyone who may have been taking this idiotic shit seriously that this doesn’t sound so much like a mystical vision as it does an episode of The Only Way Is Essex? How does this magical discipline and philosophy differ in any way from the rapacious Thatcherite ideologies of the decade in which Grant Morrison wriggled his way to prominence?) I’m reliably informed that he has recently made the unprecedented move of expressing his dissatisfaction with the superhero industry, if only because there isn’t as much money in it as there used to be, and I imagine that there is a very strong likelihood that he will contrive to die within four to six months of my own demise, after leaving pre-dated documents testifying to the fact that he actually predeceased me.
https://slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/
>>
>>143315699
That story made me happy. Shills defended that shitty show by saying “Watchmen was always left-wing, you’d call it woke if it came out now, Alan Moore would approve of this show” and then he eviscerated it.
>>
>>143316923
>I imagine that there is a very strong likelihood that he will contrive to die within four to six months of my own demise, after leaving pre-dated documents testifying to the fact that he actually predeceased me.
My sides!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.