[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's okay.
>>
So who's the cannibal?
>>
>>143312802
it's good
>>
>>143312802
In comparison to most marvel comics, it's great.
>>
>>143312802
Marvel if everyone's le asshole
>>
>>143312802
The A doesn't stand for "okay."
>>
>>143312802
Started the shitty trend of decompressed stories that read like movie storyboards.
>>
>>143315453
>Started
No, it was concurrent with them.
>>
>>143312802
>Comics for people who don't like comics
I disagree.
>>
>>143315453
Good, overly compressed shit is cancer, and is one of the reasons I stick with manga
>>
>>143316339
Are you referring to the fact most of the characters are parodies or something else?
>>
>>143316408
Also yes
>>
>>143312802
I liked Millar's version of Iron Man, Thor and Captain America they were fun
>>
>>143316438
I found them all entertaining, but in retrospect something about Thor being a hippie seems odd to me. You would think a Norse warrior would be ok with war and killing whales
>>
File: capple.jpg (14 KB, 500x277)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>143316408
Actually I'll elaborate. In addition to the characters coming off like assholish parodies of themselves in an attempt to come off as "more mature" or whatever the fuck they were aiming at, I don't much care for the, want of a term, cinematic approach to try and make comics come off like a movie or a tv show when comics are a fine medium on their own. I feel like this whole universe has to much of a sarcastic dismissal for comics history and the whole things come off and starts a generation of comic creators who are embarrassed of comic books but think trying to appeal to people who like cinematic live action stuff with jerk leads makes them suddenly not about brightly colored costumed myths punching badguys.
>>
>>143316492
>You would think a Norse warrior would be ok with war and killing whales
Millar's logic
Scandinavian=Hippie
and it worked (at least for me)
>>
>>143316510
way better than the CW writing of sitting down, talking and eating we have right not
>>
>>143316527
I don't disagree but I don't really think that's the argument you hoped it would be. But "Yay mediocrity."
>>
All post 9/11 Marvel is bad.
>>
As much as I loved Ultimates 2, I think Thor just being a crazy guy would've been better than him actually being a god like in mainline.
>>
>>143316334
No. It became mainstream after this.
>>143316377
Then you're a low Attention span twat. And go back to >>>/a/ if you love manga so much, moron.
>>
>>143312802
Ultimates: Very Good
Ultimates 2: Great
Ultimates 3: Below Average
Ultimatum: One of the worst series ever written
Ultimate Avengers: Average, but really fun
Ultimate Comics: Excellent, but with a subpar ending.
Overall when including all the main series, it rates above average, but fun.
>>
>>143316726
Crazy guy who ascends to godhood just because he believes it and makes people believe in him hard enough would be my preferred take. Like, the Norse pantheon still exists and they just decide that this dude's badass and since he's creating worshippers of Thor again he gets honorary Aesir status, the same way the Aesir side defeated the Vanir side and then let some of them join their tribe. It's already baked into the Norse mythology that they let people join up and they love warriors so he'd be a good fit. You could have a mythologically accurate redhead Thor with a tiny-handled Mjolnir give Ultimates Thor a nod of approval and lend him some extra strength during a battle, making him Thor's Avatar in Midgard basically.
>>
>>143316492
The stories we have of Thor establishes five basic things about him. He's kind of slow. He's got a fiery temper that scares people. He can drain a mead horn like nobody else. He loves to go hunting giants. He goes fishing for sport. Dude's the ultimate redneck.
>>
>>143316438
>Iron Man
The Iron Man suit is the one thing I genuinely thought was better in the Ultimate universe than in 616 and wouldn't mind if the movies had gone with, like they did with other Ultimate stuff. I'm not talking about the superficial design but the way it's treated in the stories. It's this huge thing so he stands out among the other heroes, instead of being the same size and having fake muscles like all the other heroes, and he can't just throw the suit on in the street and keep fighting for hours. He has to refuel it and reload ammunition and have a team assemble it around him and then he's got to calculate flight plans because he can't fly across the world in one go etc. It just really set Iron Man apart from all the other heroes who had their powers at all times and I liked it a lot, because it made him much more tied to his tech side and planning side.
>>
>>143317589
>Dude's the ultimate redneck.
Back before television that was known as "being a man"
>>
>>143316510
Based capple.jpg poster
>>
>>143314193
It's stands for Average.
>>
>>143316726
>I think Thor just being a crazy guy would've been better than him actually being a god like in mainline.
Only someone who has never read a Thor comic ever could think that
>>
>>143317520
>Ultimates 2: Great
Bait.
>>
>>143319191
m8...
>>
File: RCO015_1464769622.jpg (523 KB, 1014x1600)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
>>143319191
Idk why that's so ridiculous to consider, unless you just hate Millar on principle in which case whatever. Ultimates 2 has something resembling an actual story for one, better art, cooler setpieces, and above all else is more in tune with its superhero roots. I feel like they realized with 2 that they went too overboard making everyone unlikable in 1 so they pulled the assholery back a touch. And the whole series is just a fun ride when you don't have some butthurt asshole yelling in your ear about how it desecrates the characters even though it doesn't intrude on the main continuity in any way
>>
Just posting an Ultimate page I really liked.
>>
>>143312802
Was better than that shitshow Ultimate X-Men at least
>>
>>143317589
>He's kind of slow. He's got a fiery temper that scares people.
Marvel's Thor is not like that, maybe the MCU one
>>
>>143317568
Shit, you need to copyright that idea, some writer reading it might steal it
>>
>>143321047
No one was talking about 616 or Disney Thor, bro.
>>
>>143317627
I thought the MCU was going with that in the first Iron Man
>>
>>143320862
What's Captain Britain problem? Is he one of those "always sober" guy
>>
>>143321134
the beer was too cold for him
>>
>>143320862
>>143321134
He had a Danelaw flashback.
https://youtu.be/PLzsWa20YIo?si=5GytXOWSpzaWsLd2

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.