[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 198462.jpg (41 KB, 318x423)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
How come no one else in the west has tried to create a long-running serialized comic epic like One Piece or Berserk? The closest was Cerebus
>>
>>143319891
Because nobody wants to replicate the process of a pretentious asshole slowly descending into madness. This is why indieshit is so terrible. They inevitably become like Cerebus, a future serial killer's manifesto.
>>
>>143319891
Usagi Yojimbo has been going for about 40 years, and it's solid throughout pretty much the whole thing. Before you say it's not really a singular story, well, pretty much no comic/manga is, if it's that long.
>>
Tarzan was a series of books but it got a /co/ adaptation and has been adapted to film more than any other book over so I'm going to mention it anyways.
>>
>>143319891
There are plenty of multi-volume comics forming one big story.
>>
>>143319891
funding. One Piece, Berserk, all those major shonens are huge IPs for their publishers and as such they support their creators because they ultimately want them to produce as much content as they can.
There's far less American companies willing to fund creators like that. Closest would be fantagraphics paying the Hernandez bros or Chris Ware, but they wouldn't do epic style stories because Gary Groth is an old fuck hipster who hates comics with action or anything aimed at teen boys.
The big two hate the idea of anyone having a long run on a series, especially artists.
Sim benefited from boomer boost bucks where cost of living in general was more affordable in that era too.
>>
>>143319891
The Invincible comic could be considered one. It ran for 10+ years and it's was written by the same writer and artists all the way through.

>How come no one else in the west has tried to create a long-running serialized comic epic?
Many factors. Mostly by the simple fact that manga is crazy popular and a money maker while comics are just seen as a pool of cheap stories for studios to purchase or take ideas from for movies and tv shows. Why would you wanna waste more than a decade working on a big epic story just to cancelled half way through because nobody reads comics. Manga is more popular so there are more eyeballs that will invest in crazy long epics like this.
Also if your manga gets an anime that just means your manga sales are going up since it's mostly a vehicle for that. When in western media the movie or tvshow is seen as a replacement of the source material or in the worst case you'll get smartasses trying shitting on the comic for various retarded reasons staining it's reputation.
>>
>>143320075
I genuinely want any and all Invincible fans to be hunted down and shot in the head. Fuck off and shut the goddamn hell UP already.
>>
>>143319891
I would like to see it happen even though I prefer shorter works, even in manga.
>>
>>143319891
Dave Sim and (to an extent) Todd McFarlane
I study these
>>
>>143320090
>goes in thread about long running western serials
>somebody talks about one
>grrrRRRR NOT THAT ONE RETARD!!

kys
>>
Would Hellblazer count?
>>
>>143319891
>>143319957
of which the Marthon is in the fucking catalog RIGHTNOW and for the last month and a half.
>>
>>143319891
>already read cerebus
>will never experience kino like it for the first time again
God i cant wait for the dementia to set in
>>
Because it’s incredibly hard to keep something going that long in this publishing environment and if you self publish you’ll go insane
>>
>>143320037
>Sim benefited from boomer boost bucks where cost of living in general was more affordable in that era too.

Not just that but the time he published the book and the opportunities he got in comics was also beneficial
>Started in 1977 so he had got benefit from the rise of the direct market and the readership's interest in stuff like Howard the Duck and Conan
>Was still around in the 80s so likely got a boost when the black-and-white comics boom happened; likely made most of his money at this time
>Was established by the time the b&w crash of the 80s and the 90s crash happened and still able to put out a book regularly (while keeping his books in print) which probably helped him even when getting into controversies. Also, likely got paid a lot to do Spawn #10 and other stuff
>>
>>143319891
Erik Larsen is still doing Savage Dragon
>>
>>143320090
Faggot
>>
>>143319891
is Cerebus any good?
>>
>>143322597
Some parts are.
>>
>>143320075
I thought they changed artists a few times, with one returning for the last epilogue issue notedly?
>>
>>143320037
This. The chance for a single guy to make a hit with no corporate backing and shilling and live off it is long over.
>>
>>143322597
It peaks with High Society/Church & State. Then it vanishes up its own ass and doesn't come out again.
>>
>>143324498
It peaks with Minds.
>>
>>143322597
It's both very good and very bad. You can read until the end of the very good parts and drop it before it becomes very bad. But you won't. You won't be able to drop it. You'll be too addicted from the very good. And you'll force yourself to suffer through the very bad. That's just how it goes.
>>
>>143322597
It's one of the best comics ever made. The only bad parts are Latter Days and the text pieces of Reads.
>>
>>143319891
Elfquest?
>>
I think arguments could be made for Claremont's X-Men, the first 225 issues of Wally West Flash, and Legion up until the end of 5 Years Later. Though none of them are single creative teams. You need to define what you're asking about better.

>>143320037

>Closest would be fantagraphics paying the Hernandez bros or Chris Ware, but they wouldn't do epic style stories because Gary Groth is an old fuck hipster who hates comics with action or anything aimed at teen boys.

Los Bros are telling ongoing stories about the same group of characters though.
>>
>>143324914
They're not really epic/action stories, though.
>>
Why the fuck is the board so fast?
>>
>>143322597
Even when it's "bad," it's still one of the best executed comics of all time. Starts off as Conan the Barbarian meets Howard the Duck, peaks as Victorian sociopolitical fantasy, hard crashes in to caricature comedy and proto-men's rights/redpill, and then ends with the three stooges and old testament commentary (literally). All the while the art/lettering get better and more experimental with each arc. If you're at all interested in comics as an artistic medium (as opposed to merely escapist fantasy), it's an essential read.
>>
>>143319891
Writers don't want to bother. They're too busy sniffing their own assholes to ever do comics as anything but one shots and short stories.
Artists follow writers.
Erik Larsen has been doing Savage Dragon for years and it's at 200 issues, which is actually pretty goddamn good for comics.
The problem is it's Savage Dragon.
Basically no one wants to commit to it.
>>
>>143323953
There were two artists for the run of the series, with both illustrating the final issue.
>>
>>143319891
There's Empowered
>>
>>143326355
short comics are better
>>
>>143319891
I feel like there's a good handful of Western Comics that are long-running, most of /co/ doesn't know about them though because they're too busy reading The Big Two while comparing themselves to shitty Mangas
>>
>>143319891
Gold Digger has literally beaten out Cerebus on how many issues were written and drawn by the same person.

It takes a special kind of disciplined autist to do that, so most long running US comics change artists and/or writers at one point or another, like Spawn and Ninja High School.
>>
>>143327339
There is. If we're not going by any strict "one person/team the whole time" thing:
Spawn
100 Bullets (though this was always Azzarello/Risso, it just switched colorists)
Gold Digger (this one is the same guy the whole time, though Jochen Weltjens did the colors early on in the color run before Fred took over)
Ninja High School
Invincible
Usagi Yojimbo (same guy the whole time)
The Walking Dead (artist changed early on, obviously)
Strangers in Paradise (same guy the whole time)
>>
>>143327214
Depends on how well it's executed or not. I would wager that you aren't wrong but the majority of comics suffer from being too short.
>>
>>143319891
Amerisharts have long lost the work ethic required for that
>>
>>143327716
Gold Digger is complete garbo, tho
>>
>>143328581
but booba bro!
>>
>>143327758
Spawn and Usagi Yojimbo are more episodic, they don't really tell one continuous storyline
>>
Cerebus kino
>>
I remember over a decade ago evryone on /co/ who'd read Cerebus spoke about it in hallowed terms, now it seems like it's vogue to shit on Sims.
What happened?
I never got around to reading it, I just always heard it was must-read and now it's an avoid-at-all-costs.
>>
>>143319891
cerebus falls off hard the second astoria leaves the story, and Dave Sim absolutely, totally dropped the ball by not fleshing out Cirin as a conservative or right wing villain. "matriarchal feminist" society is conservative.

cerebus is a hermaphrodite/intersex character, but it ends up being incel/MRA/mgtow shit until finally the end is some nightmare for conservatives

if you want to see a perfect example of sim being schizo and/or ridiculous, read the intro/foreward to Puma Blues
>>
>>143322597
no. i powered through the entire series, and trust me, the only thing i had besides running on fumes was the art
>>
File: Bone Vol 3.jpg (79 KB, 431x650)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>143319891
Have you tried reading NOT marvel and dc?
>>
File: 1049.png (612 KB, 900x653)
612 KB
612 KB PNG
The longest running serial comic epic I can think of is a webcomic. Sluggy Freelance. Ongoing with a continual plot-line since 1997, same writer/artist for pretty much the entire run with the exception of some weekend strips and side-arcs and non-canon material.
Starts off as a simple wacky gamer-buddy comic, then throws some weird shit out there for the sake of a plot. But then the weird shit doesn't go away, the status quo doesn't return, and it becomes serious. By 2003, it's full on crazy plot. The talking rabbit? Major character to this day. That nameless character in the nuthouse from a single strip screaming gibberish? Just wait until you find out who he really is! And these are pretty much the only examples I can give without spoiling massive plot points. Thankfully the comic links back to previous strips when referring back to events that happened there or bringing back a character you haven't seen in a while.
And man, is it an epic. In both length and scope. The comic spans the globe, space, time, dimensions, even into the fabric of creation. The cast has hundreds of named and unique characters, ever changing relationships and alliances, and many permanent deaths. A number of plot-lines started 20 years ago just recently had their big mysteries solved, all building to the grand finale. Have you ever read any comic with a 20-year running plot-line that had a satisfying resolution? Sluggy Freelance pulled it off. Three times in a row.
>>
Does reading comics make you smart desu?
>>
>>143319958
Also Conan the Barbarian
>>
>>143320090
that should happen to you instead faggot
>>
>>143330372
I praise the comic AND shit on its author.
>>
>>143319891
Elfquest exists but you didn't read it
Anyway here's Dave Sim talking about Ed Piskor dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-yDvx9K6S4
>>143322597
Cerebus is great but for some reason people always praise the early parts when it's still finding its legs instead of the really good parts where it's completely unique
>>
>>143322597
Cerebus is both good and original, but the parts that are good are not original and the parts that are original are not good.
>>
>>143331889
Where can I buy the volumes of Cerebus?
>>
>>143331906
Nowhere. They're schizophrenic, misogynist drivel and any existing copies should be burned.
>>
>>143331906
>buy
Dave Sim has renounced the material world, so he doesn't need money.
>>
>>143332040
I don't like reading comics digitally. I want to buy them in book form.
>>
>>143319891
>>143319948
>>143320037
>>143327788
>Twitter/Reddit tourists don’t know this overwhelmingly exists in western comics but they are too basic bitch to know about them the way they only know about One Piece and Berzerk
>>
>>143331915
faggot
>>
>>143332287
Women are powerful & brave and you will not divide us Dave Simp
>>
>>143331906
How are you online but have no access to a search engine?
>>
>>143330741
I've always heard the title but had no idea what it actually was about. You made me intrigued though, I'll give it a shot, although it sounds like it's a long project.
>>
>>143331295
Reading does not make you smart.
>>
>>143331522
That just makes you ungrateful.
>>
>>143332228
Not really, or at least serialized comics telling one continuous story over the course of like 20-30 years is fairly rare in the west
>>
>>143330741
This looks like shit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.