[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Released 24 years ago
How has it aged anons? For better and worse.
>>
>>143335681
Anon people don't read on /co/
>>
>>143335911
I do
>>
File: Kid_Pix_1.0_About.png (16 KB, 365x273)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>143335681
Way too hopeful about the cultural impact Kid Pix and Mario Paint would have on the world.
>>
Was this the one where he said that future of comics is an infinite canvas? It's kinda interesting concept if you think about it, i wonder if anyone tried it
>>
>>143335681
I haven't read this yet.
>>
>>143335681
I read this in middle school, I remember it proposing that webcomics could be distributed and sold on the internet, that came true of course.

The Infinite Canvas, where screen based comics could branch off in multiple directions, was an interesting idea, but it didn’t really catch on.
>>
>>143336003
He was right, it's called manwha, the problem is I've read that stuff, it is pure schlock, we give capeshit too much shit, though rightfully so, but we also need to address the SOLshit problem plaguing the international comics industry, imagine having a infinite canvas, a literal infinite canvas,
And you draw people speaking with high school tier script writing about office workers or students or yoga teachers having a will they won't they relationship.
>>
>>143336036
Now, Webtoons did, so there's an idea there.
>>
>>143336003
It's webtoons basically. Or nonstandard webcomics.
>>
>>143336003

He had some really cool examples on his site, and some cool experiments he made himself. I remember a looooong scrolling comic that sometimes went diagonally (My Obsession with Chess?), some comics that had panels branching off (lots of horizontal scrolling), and a calendar comic that had like 30 panels on a grid and revealed a new panel each day that slightly changed the meaning of the story.

His prediction of "micro transactions" for viewing comics didn't take off the way he thought, but Patreon is close enough.
>>
>>143336115
>His prediction of "micro transactions" for viewing comics didn't take off the way he thought, but Patreon is close enough.
I feel that has become more of a reality for general and especially lewd art. Paid art packs on itch, gumroad, etc.
>>
>>143336115
>His prediction of "micro transactions" for viewing comics didn't take off the way he thought, but Patreon is close enough.
Webtoons does charge for getting to see later installments
>>
>>143336043
>SOLshit is webcomic's Capeshit
Shit. Shit never changes.
>>
>>143335961
>kid pix
I swear that actual art programs were easier to use than that.
>>
>>143336115
It was funny seeing the worst people get so assmad at him over this book two decades ago only for him to be sort of proven right
>>
>>143336115
Doing an internet search for Scott introduced me to Penny Arcade and their cruel satire of Scott's idea, the irony here being that they soon went hard into exactly that kind of whoring themselves.
>>
File: 20010622-WR3ppPET@2x.jpg (652 KB, 1488x3003)
652 KB
652 KB JPG
>>143337060
I like how if you didn't know the full context, this just reads like schizo ramblings.
>>
>>143335911
False.
>>
>Hype is now the only thing keeping entertainment alive.
Scott must be reeling.
>>
>>143337192
It's kind of weird to see Penny Arcade get heavily dunked on, on Twitter recently

I remember back in the day there was a fervor of defense of them against Harlan Ellison
>>
>>143339177
0. "Video game publishers are the problem"
1. Tycho makes joke about his penis to his toddler son
2. Tycho makes editorial about this child clearly having a schizoid break
3. "My son is now my daughter and actually players were the problem all along"
>>
>>143336071
>>143336090
>the most successful realization of Scott's speculation was webtoons
There's a monkey's paw if I ever saw one.
>>
>>143335961
This was my jam in the computer lab!
>>
>>143335681
Aged pretty well all things considered though it sure feels like the predictions came true in a twisted form these days. Arguments predicting the future tend to fall into many traps so the fact that this book got a redemption really speaks to McCloud being really into comics while still keeping himself grounded in what was happening around him in the world.

>>143337192
Man what a fall from grace. The Penny Arcade guys going after McCloud really felt emblematic of the smug righteousness of nerds who got a taste for being popular and ended up getting high on their own farts.
>>
>>143342705
In fairness most of the financial predictions like microtransactions (the main thing they're going after here) never panned out.
>>
It remains the work of a man that really really groks comics. He was often right in his predictions, and where he was wrong it was mostly because the industry wasn't as competent and robust as he'd hoped.
>>
>>143336043
>product of Worst Korea
>pure shlock
many such cases
>>
>>143335961
>1991
> Buichi Terasawa has been doing digital comics since the 80s
>>
>>143342975
not necessarily in comics directly but it's definitely seeped into the marrow of a lot of other media
>>
>>143344027
>groks
>>
>>143335681
This fa'ghet sided against piskor
>>
File: cover10.png (805 KB, 636x900)
805 KB
805 KB PNG
>>143335681
nigga predicted webtoons.
he PREDICTED homestuck. and practically every development in digital art consumption ever

swear to god this mate is one of the modern masters of the genre and I can't comprehend why he isn't put on the same pedestal as moebius and kirby.

>>143336043
people are naturally conformist and dislike being challenged.

I read a webcomic about this exact topic literally an hour ago.
>>
>>143345455
I saw the posts. They were pretty mild. That comes from the people he interacts with only relaying partial news and the people trying to get the accurate news to him, come off deranged.

And let's face it, few people were giving an accurate assessment of what was going on. Comics Beat tried to quietly downplay what just happened, some TCJ writer on tumblr did four posts taking shots at Piskor and then shut up about him completely when the suicide happened, a former Hooded Utilitarian writer was taking jabs at Piskor and his fans before the suicide and then did the obligatory mental health psa, a few Comicsgate people were trying to scrub/downplay their part in accusing Piskor while going after Alex De Campi's crowd
Alex De Campi was trying to throw shade at Piskor's work while shilling whatever service she uses to scrub her info to avoid doxing, and all the various people associated with her getting extra-defensive along with rando twitter (sockpuppet?) accounts and comics-reviewer tweeters trying to cover for them

So I don't entirely blame anyone for not getting all the news. That mess of clowns is tragic and hilarious.
>>
>>143336003
I recall there being a short-lived experiment with webcomics using a scrollable infinite canvas type deal. The reality is, a lot of artists will still want to print their shit, and a lot of the most avid readers will still want their shit in print. It's the same reason vinyl never died: Robust, low-maintenance storage media have a worth of their own. The closest thing we have to it now is Webtoons, and that's caused entirely by the medium it's most consumed on, the smartphone. Which I'm damn sure doesn't fit McCloud's definition at all, given that it's entirely market-driven and not artistic in nature. In my opinion it's actually a lot worse than the traditional form.
>>
>>143336115
His idea for an infinite canvas was fulfilled via webtoons but you only scroll up and down. Horizontal and diagonal only makes sense for desktops and he didn't predict smartphones.

His prediction for micro transactions was fulfilled via Webtoon's 'coins system', similar systems of which tend to be more common across East Asia while the West seems more inclined to things like Patreon.

>>143336619
why were people upset?
>>
>>143345455
>>143345617
One look at his social media convinces me he's a faggot of immense proportions.
>>
>>143345488
because while he's a smart, talented guy with pretty in-depth knowledge of comics and how they work, his actual comics aren't exactly artistic masterpieces. But Understanding Comics IS one of the more influential pieces of the 20th century.
>>
>>143345488
>I can't comprehend why he isn't put on the same pedestal as moebius and kirby.
His art is not that good.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.