[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why is this guy being a whiny bitch lately? Specially when he is getting some books for his show. Like you can tell here that he didn't like that his S1 Amphibia got binge format.
>>
>>143342184
>Xitter
NOBODY CARES FAGGOT
>>
>>143342184
There have been almost no animated series greenlit in the last two years. He is out of work and bored.
>>
>>143342184
>Creators hate the binge format because it's well established that binge format shows have a much harder time getting renewed
I am shocked, shocked at this shocking revelation
>>
>>143342184
He's right though. Anons here have been saying the same thing for years, release bombs kill the idea of building up a fanbase while a show is airing as people discuss the previous episode and wait for the next. Every show that has built a significant fanbase aired on a schedule and every show that got dropped all at once has been quickly forgotten if anyone even knew it existed in the first place.

Perhaps the best evidence that this is the way fandoms form was Horse Show. It wasn't an overnight sensation, but the amount of raking over every detail of the last episode and content creation that went on between episodes, and the people who noticed that happening and got pulled in, is what built that fandom. I dare say if S1 had just been dumped all at once, that very well might never have happened.
>>
>>143342184
Seems like a faggot whoever he is but I agree with him. It’s reduces discussion because “le don’t spoil it” culture and it condenses hype and discussion to a single week.

Protracted release keeps things discussed and in consciousness for a longer time which leads to late arrivals eventually picking it up and wanting to be part of it.
>>
>>143342184
He's right because people feel the urge to go through a whole season because loudmouths who can somehow binge the whole season at midnight on a weeknight spoil things. Then when it's over you forget about its existence a week later and even if it's renewed you have to wait a whole year for maybe 1p episodes, just for it to repeat the same pattern until its finally axed.
Reruns with linear TV schedules kept shows in the conscious of the audience even when it's on hiatus. Now that you're not fed reruns you're unlikely to consider watching it unless there's a new episode.
>>
>guy makes simple and straight forward complaint
>"ERRRMMM, WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?!!!??"
It's a miracle you people manage to breathe unassisted
>>
>>143342944
He created and ran Amphibia, which did not have a binge-style release.
>>
File: 1713795096176078.jpg (36 KB, 500x375)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>143343027
>>
>>143342184

The biggest beneficiaries of binge formatting are executives that want to kill any projects by their predecessors to avoid them getting any credit. They can just wait a few months and then handwave a successful show off as making a big splash on release simply because it was new. A show getting a weekly release that is keeping high numbers pretty clear has an audience that should carry into another season so killing it is harder to justify.
>>
>>143343045
I haven’t watched a cartoon since Ed edd n eddy like 20 years ago
>>
>>143343045
Ran it into the ground, more like
>>
>>143342184
I enjoy the binge model of streaming show production even if it's clearly worse for the overall performance of the show. I still don't know why streaming companies insist on batch releases instead of trickling the show in one-episode-per-week. The latter is more effective at sustaining public mindshare per dollar spent on the show and marketing it.

Not my problem though. I ain't got time to watch a show week-to-week. I'm like a crocodile that goes for weeks without watching TV before pouncing on a season of a show and sating my appetite.
>>
>>143343027
People feel the need to be validated and "belong" even if it's just a random dumbass on 4chan.
>>
>>143343213
He went too far in a few places.
>>
>>143343252
I feel the binge model actually does a lot to separate the wheat from the chaff. There's a bunch of shows that got released as seasons and still became astronomically popular. Stranger Things and Squid Game had entire seasons release at once, and still became cultural touchstones. For /co/, BoJack Horseman, Invincible, and Arcane were all released entire seasons at a time, and they still became incredibly popular as well. If your shit sucks, dragging it out week to week isn't going to save it. If your show is truly great, having the entire season drop at once isn't going to affect it's popularity. Obviously, whatever Matt here worked on was probably shit.
>>
>>143344280
>Stranger Things and Squid Game had entire seasons release at once, and still became cultural touchstones
You vastly overestimate this. Most people in America haven’t seen either, you just likely spend a lot of time on the internet. Most people don’t do that either. In fact most people don’t have a Twitter account which I’m sure you’ll find insane too.
>>
>>143342184
He’s saying the exact same fucking thing that most anons have been saying…that the binge format kills discussion and momentum for a show. He’s not wrong, you’re just being contrarian faggot.
>>
>>143343045
Just because your child didn’t die on the poorly maintained carnival ride doesn’t mean that you can’t have an opinion about the dangers of the poorly maintained carnival ride.
>>
>>143343045
Burning off an entire season in a single month is just as shitty
>>
>>143342184
He's absolutely right, and OP is a fag.
>>
>>143343027
>implying I don't have an oxygen tank and a CPAP machine
Lmao
>>
>>143342184
I feel like the early days of Netflix and Hulu have scrambled people's perceptions of what TV used to be.

You watched shit on a weekly basis with ads. That was it. You paid for packages and couldn't select channels. Oh, you had DisneyChannel but wanted ToonDisney? Oh well, hope your parents pay extra. You had to build your schedule around TV. People tried to use the record feature on a VHS but it fucking sucked ass. TiVO came out and it was a game changer for consumers, but slightly fucked over ratings and ad revenue. Cable services tried to capitalize on it by doing "On Demand" but they were often very limited in their output. Then streaming services were rising, then these services started making originals, then these services overshadowed TV so everyone wanted their own.

Now we've swung back full circle to these services wanting to do a TV format except audiences are going, "But I don't want ads and I don't want weekly releases!!!". So what the fuck are you supposed to do? I guess you can just ignore audiences whines, and they're sort of doing that.
>>
>>143344294
I strongly disagree with this. At the very least Stranger Things is incredibly popular, not just on the internet (or at least that's the case in the USA).
>>
>>143342184
He's speaking on behalf of Moon Girl I bet.
>>
>>143344386
I remember "appointment TV", the whole family getting together twice a week for our dose of broadcast TV shows, programming the VCR to record our favs when we went out of town, the crushing disappointment when you missed an episode and flipping through the TV guide to see if the network would rerun it at some God awful hour before the next episode aired...
Then Hulu came out and it was like a revelation. I'm not sure if I actually miss appointment TV or if I just miss being young, but it was a different time for sure.
>>
>>143342909
>>143342993
Yeah, even in real life, week to week TV helps keep people engaged. I know when I watch a weekly show that a family member or friend is also watching, we discuss the most recent episode and speculate about what is going to happen next, oftentimes even rewatching the episode before the next one airs. Of course you can do this with streaming shows that dump huge chunks at once, but unless you set up a watching plan, or only watch the show together, it's harder to make sure you stay on the same page (and as has been said, online discussion on a per-episode basis is almost impossible, as no matter what you'll have somebody who has watched the whole thing within hours of the dump).
I also find that when I binge a show, it might be easier to follow along as it goes from episode to episode since I'm watching in bulk, but each individual episode doesn't really leave as much of a lasting impact, and oftentimes I forget several details and "inconsequential" episodes are often forgotten almost entirely, unless a later episode specifically refers back to it. It's the difference between studying and truly learning something over time, versus pulling a series of all-nighters.
>>
So why was Netflix able to succeed early on with the binge format? Stuff like Orange is the New Black, Bojack Horseman, Big Mouth, and Stranger Things all amassed giant audiences with multiple seasons. Was it just because it was early on when the idea of a "streaming original" seemed novel, so people wanted to see what it was all about?
>>
File: 1706541510864872.png (882 KB, 986x686)
882 KB
882 KB PNG
fuck this faggot and his shitty show. ironically you can only binge watch amphibia because otherwise you'll get bored easily.
>>
>>143342184
>animation industry is in flames
>"why is he complaining about the fire?"
He's showing solidarity and none of his complaints are out of order. X-Men 97 would have flopped had they released all episodes at once and became a phenomenon thanks to the weekly release
>>143344534
Image made for and by weaklings
>>
>>143344511
Yeah pretty much.
Big Mouth and Stranger Things weren't "early" though, it was Orange is the New Black and Bojack as you mentioned, but also House of Cards and the extra season of Arrested Development that drew people at first.
I feel like there's a big difference between early Netflix when they only had 10-20 originals and renewals were guaranteed and a few years later when they had well into the hundreds and it took an act of god to get a renewal.
>>
>>143344511
That format still hurt it though. The Marvel shows went to shit because of that.
>>
>>143344534
>Skipping any season 2 episodes
Wrong
>>
>>143344544
They're too big. It's kind of a shame, because they had some interesting ideas early on that got drowned out by the insanity, nepotism, and favoritism that come of these big faceless conglomerates. Netflix is the biggest and baddest, and the legacy guys are only a tenth of as bad as they are. The only way through now is for them to get eaten alive by every government agency and other corporation on the planet as their concentrated powers continue to dwindle with mistake after mistake and bad call. By the end of the decade there won't be a big 5 and Netflix, but likely dozens of smaller companies instead.
>>
>>143344534
At that point just read a fucking plot summary if somebody is so insistent on watching as little of the show as possiblem
>>
>>143342184
>"Binge format releases aren't good. Here's why.."
>Why is this guy being a whiny bitch lately?
idgi
>>
>>143344581
Aggressive, inflammatory OPs tend to get more engagement.
>>
>>143344580
you said it, not me
>>
>>143342184
He's right, contrarian retard
>>
>>143342184
>whiny bitch
>The man speaks completely neutral, even throws a "with respect" in his sentence.
Yikes anon, you couldn't help projecting, you whiny bitch?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.