[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>ATHF but it has social commentary
Who thought this was a good idea in the first place.
>>
>>143348885
every episode they ever made has some commentary in one way or another, its just more subtle in prior seasons anon
>>
>>143348956
What's the commentary with hand banana
>>
>>143348995
it's uhhhh do not uhhhh enter my pool, ASSMAN.
>>
>>143348885
S1 that aired in 2002 had episodes mocking the mail order bride industry, pop-up ads on computers, subliminal meanings in songs that people were going crazy over at the time, etc.
>>
>>143348995
Rapey pervert character gets rapey perverted by a new character?
>>
>>143348995
probably the dangers of cloning and how it can go very wrong with one little slip-up.

very common in many cartoons with cloning as a plot device for the episode.
>>
What was the commentary on the unaired boston bombing one?
>>
>>143348995
I could never tell if it was "male rape is funny" or "MS paint doodle rape is funny"
>>
>>143348956
No they fucking do not. ATHF is irreverent humor for the most part, it's the TV show equivalent of making shit up on the spot.
>>
>>143349038
probably about people seeing moonite signs and freaking out that they were bombs when in reality it was a fisher price toy to promote the show. they even reference it in the episode that its ridiculous.
>>
>>143349058
I would have said the latter but Spaghetti not being a doodle made it seem like the former.
>>143349079
Completely forgot about that, thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>143349078
my brother in fryman, they literally have episodes shitting on popular things at the time they aired to mock them.

There was a whole boost mobile episode mocking phone sponsorships and exclusive deals
>>
>>143349009
Yeah, it's almost like people use real life experiences to inspire funny stories or something.
>>
>>143349058
The message of the episode is this: Rape is so funny, until you've been raped. You're about to know what that's like.
>>
>>143349098
Jokes on you, I super glued my asshole shut.
>>
>>143349096
what he described is called commentary. thats what it is, commenting on real life experiences.
>>
>>143349086
youre welcome. I have it saved somewhere but watch it time to time to laugh at the unfinishedness. But there is a part meatwad puts signs up with bright lights and the city freaks out and the cops come, it is amazing and sadly never finished. its a sore subject for time warner
>>
>>143349079
Goddamn, the post 9/11 panic among normies was insane. I lived in a podunk, New England cow town and people were actually scared that our fucking middle school was next on Bin Laden's list after the world trade centers, lmao.

Once, someone found some white powder in a textbook that they thought was anthrax, and the whole school got sent home early. Turned out it was chalk dust.
>>
>>143348995
rape is funny
>>
>>143349149
it was lol. I live in a small town on the east coast of the USA maybe 2 hours from NYC and our school was in full panic mode for years afterwards. We werent allowed to walk outside in case a plane came after our outside classrooms so they closed them. like yes a massive plane will get hijacked to attack some random HS 2 hours away from NYC
>>
>>143349079
>people seeing moonite signs and freaking out
There was a news clip of some Karen who was on the verge of tears talking about how the signs were clearly "sinister" and it's seared into my memory forever. Just absolutely poetic. Could you imagine if this had happened after the boston marathon bombing? I'm pretty sure someone putting up those signs would have just been shot.

>>143349112
Yeah. It's almost like people use real life experiences to inspire funny stories or something.
>>
>>143349189
It genuinely makes me feel bad for anyone who wasn't alive to experience America before 9/11. Everything got so fucking stupid at warp speed, it's unreal.
>>
>>143349195
>sinister signs
>its a moonite flipping someone off

like they couldnt have planned that level of advertising as satire. I remember that
>>
>>143349195
real life social experiences, people related to because its social. social stories. funny things about society, about living in a society. almost like commenting on the social stories of it. like social commentary.
>>
>>143349218
sadly the stupid is still here but people got use to it. i miss the good old days of pre 9/11
>>
>>143349293
>the stupid is still here but people got use to it.
I absolutely haven't. It probably doesn't help that 9/11 happened right about the time I was getting old enough to really step out into society. It felt like stepping through the door to a house party like 10 seconds after someone found a turd in the punchbowl.
>>
>>143349356
it sucks
>>
>>143349154
UNTIL YOU'VE BEEN RAPED
>>
>>143348885
What commentary was there this season
>>
>>143349779
the movie literally was making fun of amazon and corporate greed and wage slaves
>>
>>143349112
No, what he described is called "Observational Comedy"
>>
>>143349753
i wish a hot goth girl would rape me, then i wouldn't find it funny, id find it sexy
>>
>>143349800
comedy is a play on the word comment which is part of the word commentary
>>
>>143350027
You just made that up.
>>
>>143348995
The commentary in Aqua Teen ranges from episode to episode.
In Handbanana, it quite literally just is "all rape jokes can be funny". The punchline at the end is Carl making a dog to rape the dog that's raping him, and then the dog says "I'm gonna rape you" and rapes Carl.
It's in the same vein as Dickesode, you can take it as far as you want as long as it's funny type of commentary.
It also had meta commentary, most blatantly in Episode 100, Last Dance for Napkin Lad, and The Greatest Story Ever Told.
Actual social commentary also existed, again ranging from dumb inconsequential shit to roughly around South Park level stuff. The Mooninites episodes in particular are like the staff realizing most of their audience was retarded stoners and warning them against becoming friends with assholes who take your stuff and sodomize themselves in your house.
Most of the commentary edging towards South Park type stuff occurs after the rebrandings starting from Season 8. Here's a list of notable "commentary" episodes from that point on just from a cursory look at wikipedia
>The Intervention
>Freedom Cobra
>The Creditor
>Vampirus (decade before covid too- though a decade late for SARS)
>Wi-Tri
That is literally just from Season 8. All of these are social commentary in some form.

Anyways, the most notable social commentary from the first seven seasons is "Shake Like Me". This should be well known.
>but why is the new season bad?
It was agreed upon several years ago that the Season 6 onwards got progressively worse, and substantially worse starting from Season 8.
>>
This is a dumb statement. You can just say the season wasn’t funny, which is true.
>>
>>143350141
brother they share the same latin origin word.
>>
>>143350157
Season 4 had a literal boost mobile and product placement episode
>>
>>143350179
Learn what "most of" means.
>>
This thread has convinced me that the average /co/ user is such a midwit that if someone told them a knock-knock joke, they'd think it was a "commentary" about doors.
>>
>>143350186
why would the guy just list them from S8 when clearly they are in all seasons
>>
>>143350157
Season 8 had some great episodes though
>Intervention
>Vampirus
>Jumpy George
>Lasagna
>Last Dance for Napkin Lad
All great episodes, don't even try and prove me wrong
>>
>>143350236
The point is that from S8 on, more episodes skewed towards general social commentary as opposed to earlier seasons being more "dumb" social commentary. The height of pre-S8 commentary in Aqua Teen is
>You can't say THE J WORD on TV anymore meatwad
>Sponsored by BOOST MOBILE
>Shake Like Me
>>143350249
Didn't say they were explicitly bad. Just far worse than the original five seasons.
>>
>>143350233
isnt the "whose there"? part of the joke just a commentary on the unknowns of life until it is revealed by the person answering. The door is just a metaphor for the hardships we have to overcome of the unknown to truly get the answers we need
>>
this is an amazing representation of /co/
>>
>>143350157
>Dickesode
>same vein
i had a modest juvenile lol
>>
>>143350254
anon, they all are comments on society
>>
I want more episodes like last season.
>>
>>143350490
i loved the movie, it was amazing
>>
>>143348885
we are the aqua teens, make the homies say ho and the girlies wanna scream
>>
>>143350546
It was alright but a bit too plot heavy for me and the Amazon thing got old after a while
The first movie was way better
>>
>>143351080
it did drag on too long I agree

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.