[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1459.jpg (518 KB, 695x1060)
518 KB
518 KB JPG
What did she do to justify such a rabid fanbase, and why do they care so much that she was Robin for five minutes?
>>
File: scenarios.png (12 KB, 224x277)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>143351539
>>
>>143351539
I don't know, but this character shouldn't have existed. She and Tim ruined the Batfamily.
>>
>>143351630
They started the concept of the modern Bat-Family.
>>
I think people mostly latch on to this character to make Tim look less gay and to make Cassandra look more gay.
>>
>>143351601
/thread
99% of 4chan
>>
>>143351539
Blonde white girl so she either has girls who self-insert as her or men who want to fuck her
>>
Historical context.
See, when Steph got killed off in War Games a lot of normies were
a. just getting into capeshit due to MCU and Nolan Batman
and
b. forming a bunch of internet communities like Scans_Daily where they were getting introduced to concepts like Women in Refrigerators.
So you end up with Stephanie Brown being killed off by Black Mask, and as a result a bunch of people rallied behind her because she was a mediocre white girl around 2010 when internet white girl tumblr feminism was at its peak. And if Taylor Swift shows you anything it's that mediocre white girls are like crack to internet feminists.
So then Steph gets brought back because it's capeshit and nobody stays dead and while Didio wanted to make Babs Batgirl again he wasn't ready to do so at the time, which meant Steph got to take over the role for a while.
And she already had the built in defenders because of how she suffered in War Games. Making her Batgirl was basically like throwing a steak into that shark tank Steph kind of became a posterchild for a sort of cultural movement in capeshit, coming to a head with that whole SDCC Batgirl Cosplayer incident, in which a Stephbats cosplayer harangued Didio for being sexist and fridging girls all weekend until he snapped at her and asked what she expected him to do.
This was exactly the wrong thing to do, and a bunch of """"journalism""" outlets reported about how problematic shit was.
/co/ did a few hundred threads at the time ranting about fake geek girls and sjws. I derailed a few of them with pictures and recipes for homemade chicken tendies and breast expansion comics. Good times.
>>
File: bgs81.jpg (1.94 MB, 1339x1850)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
I just want to fuck the big-tittied blonde, simple as.
>>
>>143351805
This would explain a lot cause what I’ve seen is people arguing she’s really important and just as relevant as the main robins, and I have to admit it sounds like manufactured hype based on mostly headcanon
>>
>>143351864
To be fair >>143351728 is also right.
>>
File: stephanie-brown-3_jpg.png (2.81 MB, 1584x2500)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB PNG
Steph grew a small but dedicated fanbase in the 90's starting from her debut story getting a good reception, so Chuck Dixon brought her back for his Robin run a few years later. She became a supporting character for a few years, but when Dixon left editorial had some sort of issue with him that they targeted her to kill off, along with dismantling a lot of the aspects Dixon had kept, like Tim having a dad.
Somewhere along the line where they were planning to kill her off, the idea was put forth to make her Robin, specifically to get more attention, even if the plan was to pull the rug from under her and kill her off. So she becomes the center of the first major crossover after Hush, and in the leadup to Jason Todd's return in Under the Hood. So it's a time where a lot of new readers are coming in and paying attention, as well as older ones who liked her, and so having her killed off after a promotion like that was seen as fairly cynical and overly dark.
>>
File: 1691019408771239.jpg (148 KB, 1200x600)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>143351539
she's essentially a girl version of Dick but with a rougher upbringing. Basically she's fun in a setting with not very many fun characters. That worked really will with Tim who was always trying to fix some shit largely at the expense of himself and later carried forward to her other stuff
>>
She put on the mask
>>
I didn't start reading mainline DC till new52 and didn't know about her death or the controversy it caused till much later. I enjoy Her and Cassandra's origins/motivations more than Jason, Damian, Tim, and Barbara in that order. No, I don't ship them.
>>
>>143351830
I want to live in that pic.
>>
File: steph beats up cluemaster.jpg (596 KB, 1118x1650)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
>>143351979
She had Dick's quippy attitude and Jason's history with more time and direction to actually explore that.
People like to think of Jason as a rough street kid with anger issues, but that was just Starlin's version and seen in the last year before he got killed off. Post-crisis Jason was a street kid with a heart of gold and took to crimefighting like a fish to water.
Where as Steph being rough around the edges and prone to anger issues and needing to learn to be better was more of a slow burn through her time in Robin.
I'd even say she's more interesting in Tim's own run than Tim is.
>>
File: 20240422-212344-7k1s0.webm (871 KB, 1024x1024)
871 KB
871 KB WEBM
>>143351728
>Blonde white girl so she either has girls who self-insert as her or men who want to fuck her
>>
>>143352214
>I'd even say she's more interesting in Tim's own run than Tim is.
She’s more relatable than Tim honestly. Tim is too much of square to take his personals woes seriously.
>>
File: batgirls 1633370094101.jpg (203 KB, 750x939)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
Steph being rough around the edges is another aspect of what's appealing about her because most of the other Batwomen are perfect or have their flaws minimized for the sake of being starring roles.
Babs is mostly "girlboss" these days, and when she does have problems it's mainly done in such a way that it's never really her flaws but her trying too hard
Cass was illiterate until recently, but that always felt like Storm's claustrophobia or self-doubt. It always feels overblown as a problem compared to how well she functions in spite of it, Cass feels like Miss Perfect most of the time.
Kate's flaws were being alcoholic once, I guess.
Steph and Helena were the rough and tumble ones, and I find them the most interesting to read because of that.
>>
>>143351979
The line going down to her groin makes it look like she has a big vulva.
>>
>>143351539
She was a supporting character and love interest in the Robin solo book for years, so there were a lot of people who already liked her. Then Tim quit as Robin and she became the first in-canon female Robin. There'd been AU stuff like in DKR before, but she was the first one that was actual present-day canon, and DC made it seem like this was a really big deal.

Then it turned out Bruce had only made her the new Robin to try and make Tim jealous enough to come back, she was set up to fail from day one. And then the War Games event doubled down on her being a failure and a screwup who accidentally causes the city to erupt in gang warfare between the various crime families, she spends two months of weekly installments of the story being tortured by Black Mask and then dies.

Then a year later the War Crimes story reveals Leslie Thompkins let Steph die from her injuries just to try and teach Bruce a lesson.

It was a perfect storm of a supporting character people liked getting elevated to a bigger role just for a short term bait and switch, the worst elements of 2000s cape comics' edginess and excessive, graphic violence and torture towards women.

Eventually the backlash got big enough and loud enough DC had to do something to stop it and appease readers, so they got Chuck Dixon back on the Robin title and had him retcon Steph's death into having been faked. Then she ended up becoming the new Batgirl until the New 52 happened.
>>
>>143352353
why on earth is this animated, it looks like ass
>>
>>143351539
She's the only character to have been robin and Batgirl and closely tied to Tim and Cass. So she overlaps with those fans.

But what a shit bait thread
>>
>>143353601
>Then she ended up becoming the new Batgirl until the New 52 happened.
Sad...
>>
>>143351539
All the Robins and Batgirls have rabid fanbases. Hers is probably one of the more mellow ones relative to the others.
>>
But WHAT is to be done with Steph now that Batgirls is over?
>>
>>143356151
Honestly we don't need three Batgirls at the same time, just let her be Spoiler again, it's a cool costume and it's her own unique identity, and unlike Cass she doesn't have a fanbase that's going to sperg out at the very notion of her being something that's not Batgirl.

Ideally she'd be in the same book as Tim and they'd be a couple, but that's never happening again.
>>
>>143356324
As if they wont revisit it.
>>
>>143356324
>but that's never happening again.
They poured depleted uranium on that ship. It's completely soiled.
>>
File: 1570580866421.png (385 KB, 900x628)
385 KB
385 KB PNG
>>143355376
>All the Robins and Batgirls have rabid fanbases.
Does Tim? I know, personally, people that like him, but I wouldn't even call Steph's fanbase rabid, and they're much more vocal than Tim's fans have ever been. Much less Jason or Babs.
>>
File: Tim Drake fans.jpg (33 KB, 683x397)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>143357149
Tim has a big fanbase of fujos and fags.
>>
>>143357149
>Does Tim?
It was more rabid in the past I'd say, but yeah. I've seen Tim doujinshi from Japan.
>>
>>143357149
Timfags exist but they don't express themselves as outright timfags. Instead they wither present themselves as Damian Haters or try and pull for generalized batfamily dynamics where Tim slots in as "the smart one" in a way that degrades the others.
>>
>>143357149
Yes? Not here but tim has a really strong fanbase in general. And its far more pronounced than either cass or steph's.
>>143356496
By..making him bi? They still try to roll out constantine and zatanna and his main trait now is being bi.
>>
>>143357245
Honestly ive seen more anti-tim fags here than I've seen tim fans putting down he other robins. But generally it boils down to
>dick vs jason
>tim vs damian
Robin wise. It can be any combo of each one but generally preferences run in those.
>>
File: 1569247270983.jpg (59 KB, 616x900)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>143357231
>>143357239
>>143357245
>>143357248
Guys, guys. "Rabid." Obviously all the Bat people have dedicated fanbases that put many solo acts to shame. But that's not the same as "rabid." I just said I wouldn't call Steph's fanbase rabid either and honestly expected to get shit for that.

Maybe it's just to me "rabid" indicates a more violent fan disposition. Like, I can imagine people getting internet violent over Steph or Cass, or Jason natch, but Tim just doesn't seem to have that level of outward facing fandom energy, from what I've seen.
>>
>>143357248
Nah, Constantine has more going on than just being bi, he's that cool.
Tim kinda doesn't have much going on for him anymore, that's why he's mostly shows up in Pride Specials nowadays, they want to make that his thing.
>>
>>143351658
The modern bat-family was a mistake.
>>
>>143357308
I mean all things considered, there's definitely people who'd argue for hours to justify Tim's role in the batfamily or his place in bat history , or just plain why they like him as a character. That's more than a lot of other characters would get.I suppose now it's more passive aggression than the anger it used to be.
>>
>>143357149
She definitely has the most chill fanbase of the Bat characters. Cassfags are probably the worst because of the autistic waifufaggotry she instills but Dickfags and Damifags can be pretty bad too. Jason's, Barbara's and Tim's fans are all somewhere in the middle.
>>143357231
That is literally every Robin. Except for Damian whose fanbase also includes shotafags.
>>
>>143357494
I mean, I think Shotafags like all the young Robins.
>>
>>143357310
>character value is purely by how they're written currently
By that logic no character has value desu.

And constantine doesn't have an ongoing either lol.

End of the day tim is popular, tim and steph remain the most popular tim ship for normies to this day, it'll get revisted.
>>
>>143357494
> Waifufagging is worse than pedophilia
Only on co.
>>
>>143357494
>That is literally every Robin.
True, but Tim's fanbase actually influenced canon, and now he's gay.
>>
>>143357494
Desu bruce has easily the worst fanbase of them as batwank hits the hardest and everything wrong with the others is present on him in a worse way, id argue jason has the worst one after that as its dudes with daddy issues , pure edgelords or horny women. It doesn't help that jason is the most parasitic robin in terms of dynamics.Then dick and cass are tied as a lot of it is character wanky stuff that gets taken more literally and hornyness over them but at its core its just "they're the bestest" but generally they arent outright hostile against the other characters (as long as their roles arent overlapping, and even then cassfags have camaraderie with oraclefags and stephfags and dickfags generally with at least one of the other robins).

Discounting the pedo damian fans which are easily the worst
>>
>>143357717
There have been writers who have fully said they write dick and jason as bi, its modern day, do you think they'll stop at 1 robin?
>>
>>143357733
Devin Grayson got work when Mark Waid brought her Bruce/Dick slash fic to the batoffice.
>>
>>143357931
Yes that's one of them, altough lets be honest waid banging her is probably why she got that job.
>>
>>143357931
So I need to get my BatMoth portfolio to the DC offices, eh?
>>
>>143357726
>It doesn't help that jason is the most parasitic robin in terms of dynamics.
That's literally Tim tho.
>>
>>143357675
I'm talking about level of rabidity of the fandoms not level of moral degeneracy within; obviously pedophilia is worse.
>>143357726
Forgot about Bruce. He definitely wins.
>>143357717
And now they have to deal with the monkey's paw of Tim being made a gay but not for the one person they wanted.
>>
>>143358114
Have you ever bought a comic spanner? And man how is it that it all lives so rent free around your head.
>>
>>143358095
What? Tim has unique dynamics, damian has unique dynamics, jason has literally two dynamics that werent repeated from another robin and they were instantly nuked to center him around dick's third best friend and the girl that wanted to fuck dick and tim first.
>>
>>143358172
>P-Please stop calling my waifus shit!
No.
>>
>>143357665
>End of the day tim is popular, tim and steph remain the most popular tim ship for normies to this day, it'll get revisted.
This was a pleasant surprise as someone who always liked the ship best. I thought it was one of those canon ships that alot of people didn't like. Then when the thing happened a bunch of people came out in support of it.
>>
>>143357248
>By..making him bi?
Quit acting like an airhead. The only people who like bisexuals are bisexual men.
>>
>>143358534
Inserting the other character in another thread is just shitlinging, and inserting yourself on threads of characters you don't like just to say how much you dislike them is retarded. Even more to try and force a meme that no one but you repeats. You're as bad as the spider-schizo.
>>
>>143358696
Anon there are women that like bi men, there's a whole group of women who particularly like twinkish men.
>>143358615
It was a silent majority situation, most people that liked tim/steph didn't feel the need to constantly talk about how much they liked it since 2014.
>>
File: 1691144774691377.png (453 KB, 687x375)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>143358615
they're legit a good couple. They complement each other well, have a fun dynamic, have meaningful history, have similar goals, etc. It always takes sheer hackery to force them apart. This time was particularly disrespectful to the point where you should ever give DC another dime until there's wholesale regime changes. Pic related and cross country college touring was the last time they were together before the gaying
>>
>>143357310
I think it's because they've nuked his niche from orbit. Dick, Jason, and Damian have dramatic and fantastical origins while Tim was the "normal" one, with a stable family life outside of being Robin. He could have normal, teen problems, much moreso than the others, but now that they took that from him too in the New 52 he hasn't had much for a long time now.
>>
>>143359387
Almost forgot about Identity Crisis where they killed his dad, so the process started long before the New 52 as well.
>>
>>143352810
Cass's first 20-30 issues are her having genuine issues due to tism & upbringing, but it's simply impossible to tell a story and have those happen forever. As a new character, it's interesting, as an established character on a different writer, they will quickly be saying "what's the point let's write this out"
>>
>>143358095
Tim is nowhere near as shit as he is though. Tim is at worst boring or just forgettable he doesn’t cause all the others to orbit him for his edgy shit show. And unlike him, Tim was decently written once and still has some good will from people who aren’t edgelords or women.
>>
>>143351539
>justify such a rabid fanbase
A cool costume is all it takes.
>>
>>143361910
Was it worth it reviving a totally dogshit bait thread for that insigtfhul comment?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.