[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: raaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.jpg (52 KB, 478x641)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
How the fuck does one get into Conan? Can you guys help me understand it.
What even is Conan? Is he based in some norse myth or something? I know there's a book but how many? Which comic books adapt the Conan book?

Help a brainlet like me getting into this character
>>
>>143369849
Read the original REH a stories you retard.
>>
>>143369849
>Is he based in some norse myth or something?
Conan is an Irish name, so, no.
>>
Conan is a literary character created by Robert E Howard in 1932. He wrote a number of short stories and one novel about the character, in non-chronological order. You should absolutely read these, they're great fun. The stories are set in a fictional version of super pre-historic Europe, with countries and races being presented as the ancient ancestors of what we have in modern day, and it's easy to see the parallells between the places and people in Conan's world and in ours. Conan himself is a "Cimmerian", presented as the distant ancestors of the celts.

Comic-wise, Marvel and Dark Horse both created unrelated, standalone runs based on these stories. These all essentially take Howards prose stories, arrange them in a chronological order (which isn't entirely identical between the two publishers), then fill in the gaps between them with original material (often based on Howard) in order to tell an ongoing chronological story of Conan's life.

I'm not entirely sure how the modern Marvel stuff worked, never read it. But both the old Marvel and Dark Horse runs are good.
>>
>>143369849
Just make sure you avoid Jason Aaron’s recent run. Otherwise start literally anywhere, Conan is largely a pulp hero in that his stories are stand alones.
>>
>>143369849
read the dark horse run from the beggining or just the short pulp novels in publication order
ignore capeshit cameos
thats it
>>
>>143369849
I can't get into it myself. Your best bet is reading the ones by Robert E. Howard. I like these a little more than everything else I've tried.
>>
>>143369849
Read this.
https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Chronicles-Conan-Robert-Howard/dp/0575077662

There are more than a few comics/movies/cartoons that adapt the original stories in one way or another, or a combination of characters and plots, but the best way to settle into being a Conan enjoyer is to read the original stories.

Don't try to read them "in order" because the way they're meant to be experienced is like listening to Conan retell them to you, how a man may think of a time in his life only to bring you further into the past or future depending on what triggers his memory.
>>
>>143370401
Why send him a paid link?

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/subject/19640

All of the original stories are in the public domain. Don’t you dare pay for them.
>>
>>143370722
However you get it doesn't matter. I would get a physical copy because 'muh problematic' issues.
>>
Conan is great. He may come off as cliche to a new reader, but much like Lord of the Rings he's where a lot of stuff that's considered cliche comes from, being a character that is almost 100 years old.
>>
>>143370338
Avoid Brian Wood's run too
>>
>>143369849
Here's a link to the original Marvel run.
It's pretty good overall.
https://comiconlinefree.me/conan-the-barbarian-1970/issue-1/full
>>
>>143370338
>>143371362
Aaron and Wood's sucked pretty bad.

Duggan's Savage Avengers which was Conan-headed, specifically Volume 1 was legitimately pretty fucking solid though. V2 however immediately blew so much ass it killed the title by being an incoherent fucking mess. V1 though was probably the best thing Duggan ever wrote as low as a bar as one might think that is.
>>
>>143371648
>Duggan's Savage Avengers which was Conan-headed, specifically Volume 1 was legitimately pretty fucking solid though
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>143371800
>He didn't think Kulan Gath was the coolest fucking shit
I know we call each other fags here all the time but you, legitimately, suck cock.
>>
>>143370829
The thing with public domain releases is the “problematic” stuff has to stay because if any changes are made it’s a new edition and not public domain.

Play Gutenberg allows downloads.
>>
>>143369849
If you just want to read the comics, then either start with the original Marvel comics or the first Dark Horse series.
>>
>>143372019
Plus Gutenberg *

Whoops
>>
File: dugga.png (1.32 MB, 720x1104)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>143371800
It was pretty good anon and with some amazing moments coming from fucking duggan of all people
>>
>>143372351
Gr8 b8
>>
File: s RCO009_1466400198.jpg (32 KB, 277x252)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>143372480
I don't know where people get off hating on this. Doom's one fucking flaw, the defining fucking aspect of his character, is he wears a mask because he can't stand his scarred face.

And Conan's most consistent characterization across the years is he's blunt and speaks "truth to power." This is exactly how you would expect a conversation to go between these two character.

Like, honestly what is the point in shitposting on this? Is it Duggan hate? Cause he wrote some other terrible shit? Just shitting on modern comics in general? The worst kind of Doom wank? What the fuck is it you dumbfuck?
>>
>>143372519
>I don't know where people get off hating on this. Doom's one fucking flaw, the defining fucking aspect of his character, is he wears a mask because he can't stand his scarred face.
>And Conan's most consistent characterization across the years is he's blunt and speaks "truth to power." This is exactly how you would expect a conversation to go between these two character
Is this an elaborate shitpost or do you think this is genuinely remarkable writing? Let alone using nine panels to excruciatingly drag out the ordeal?

Either this is brilliant trolling or you’re genuinely autistic.
>>
>>143372351
>Conan fucks Wonder Woman and gets away with talking shit to Dr.Doom by intimidation
>is chill with Groo too
based
>>
read dark horse stuff or the cimmerian stuff
>>
File: conan on dying.jpg (484 KB, 1200x1845)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>143372351
I really hate modern comic paneling. Especially talking heads. It's so boring. I dig what Conan is saying here, for example, but the art is so boring. This should all be one massive speech with him getting in Visions face against an epic back ground.
>>
>>143372351
Conan stealing Emma's fucking house and telling her to go suck cock after fucking several whores on her bear skin rug was possibly the most testosterone filled sequence in Marvel's history, rivalled only by him fucking even more whores after wrecking the cartels, beating an avatar of Shuma Gorath to death with one's prosthetic leg, and then going back to pounding the said hookers.
>>
>>143373759
I get what you mean but whenever we talk about old comics with speeches like you describe people bitch and seethe about walls of text and le 80s formatting. It's a no-win scenario in that case.
>>
>>143373534
>>Conan fucks Wonder Woman

When was this shit?
>>
File: conan jb.jpg (169 KB, 690x919)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>143373839
Yeah well you know what? FUCK those people.
>>
File: conan horse.png (2.81 MB, 914x1326)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB PNG
Conan rules.
>>
>>143373865
Gail Simone IIRC wrote a Wonder Woman elseworlds when DC briefly had the rights to Conan or some such that basically amounted to Hyborean era WW being Conan's soulmate and getting dicked down hard. It might be the thirstiest comic ever made by a woman
>>
File: jzWeuUW.jpg (1.25 MB, 1008x1544)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>143372613
I didn't say it was "genuinely remarkable," I said I don't see how someone gets themselves worked up into a fervor over it. Not just this time, but previous times it's been posted people have tripped over themselves to let everyone know this is bad and they should feel bad for liking it.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Conan and Doom as characters in general. But at it's core, how they act is exactly what you expect to happen in this scene, and the better for both. Doom tries to posture, Conan cuts right to the heart. And then, because this isn't about making Doom look like a cunt, he takes off his mask. I like the pacing of the panels, though not necessarily the copy pasting job. The pauses are for emotion, to portray how Doom is simply not answering Conan or trying to find a way to word, without coming across like kind of a bitch, his motivations. You could condense it all into half the panels, or even one big one, but you loose the sense of time, that Conan is making short blunt replies while Doom attempts to maintain his sense of gravitas. Conan is active, Doom is static.

It's not remarkable, but it works and does what it's supposed to do. Which is make Conan a simple and straight forward man and Doom a kind of uptight overlord. I'm generally not a fan how what decompression has done to comics (just reading the original Marvel Conan run is like night and day), but this scene does what it's supposed to do and I'm not sure you could get across the emotion it does by using significantly less panels. You could do it with less copy and pasting, obviously.
>>
>>143373890
>to Hyborean era WW being Conan's soulmate and getting dicked down hard.

I thought that was a different woman and not Diana.
>>
>>143373948
Double checking it was more like they met briefly as children while the Amazons were moving around prior to having Themyscira or some shit, point is Gail Simone really, really wanted Wondie to get dicked down hard by Conan.
>>
>>143374012
>Gail Simone really, really wanted Wondie to get dicked down hard by Conan.

They end up kissing not screwing from where I recall. Gail also wants Diana to be blacked by Mr Terrific. This bitch is a degenerative scum.
>>
>>143374031
>Mr.Terrific
>Also a chiseled 6'6" tall gigachad
Maybe she just has a type?
>>
>>143373832
Yeah but Emma ruined it by not getting her shit slapped. Word is Hickman or somebody else in the X-house whined mid-production.
>>
>>143374152
>X-Office whined
Considering what happened with Ice-Man getting dunked on and Conan setting up in her house I can believed, Krakoa was full of the writers there throwing screaming fits about other books using their shit
>>
Oh cool I dig Conan a bunch.

I made a video on Savage Sword just a month ago

https://youtu.be/gdAdD4FVV0s?si=7T9_az9Wr1bfZI8Y
>>
>>143372613
it's not particularly "remarkable" but it's good
>>
File: RCO053_1710122704.jpg (1.64 MB, 2434x3260)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>143374170
but those were both characters Duggan was writing in Maraduers at the time and Iceman was as badly treated in that book as he was in Savage Avengers.
what are people's thoughts on the current Titan books?
>>
>>143370722
>All of the original stories are in the public domain. Don’t you dare pay for them.

Imagine being such a tool you don't want to own a bound copy of top tier American literature that you will reread over and over
>>
>>143373921
>>143375002
>Conan meets cape character
>makes a funny
>THIS IS AMAZING
Lol what a dope
>>
>>143375203
>spending money on something that’s legally available for free
>t-tool!!
>>
>>143373890
>when DC briefly had the rights to Conan or some such

No the DC crossover was just the last thing Dark Horse did with the license before it went to Marvel again
>>
>>143369849
Del Rey has a three volume paperback set of every single Robert E Howard Conan story in the order he wrote them. Read that, then read/watch derivative stuff like the Marvel comics and the movies.
>>
>>143375327
Have fun owning nothing.
>>
>>143376188
>I’m going to turn this into /pol/ shit
>f-fuck the WEF
The ironic thing here is I don’t disagree. But you’re being a massive faggot if you think someone should buy something they can read, and own, for free.
>>
>>143376868
>owning physical media is /pol/
Unless you're going to print it out and bind it yourself, there's no reason not to pick up physical media. It remains yours, it cannot be changed unless you fuck up and destroy it somehow.
>>
>>143373887
>"bitches are temporary, free transportation is eternal" -conan the barbarian-
>>
>>143369849
I saw a page posted once, where a guy was chained to a wall and a woman was rubbing against him to get a reaction while he tried to resist, does anyone know which comic it's from?
>>
>>143376913
The same is true of a non-DRM file. The problem with modern digital media isn't that it's digital, it's that it's a restricted digital license.
>>
>>143377958
>same is true of a non-DRM file

Buy why would I want to read Conan prose on a fucking computer screen?

It's not /pol/ to say its dumb as fuck to not want to own your own copy of a book, on a sub forum for Comic BOOKS. That's like telling someone not to buy an album from a band they love because they can listen to it online whenever they want. It's like you are missing the point
>>
The current Titan run is fun.

But I've only read that and the second Marvel run.

And the books.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.