[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: I am suicide.png (1.3 MB, 640x967)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
Whats your favorite Batman run or story and why???
>>
>>143370271
All of them are shit.
>>
>>143370271
The Morrison run up until Batman inc including B&R.

Tomasi and Gleason B&R.

Why start this thread with one of the worst arcs from one of the worst runs of all time?
>>
File: 3746098-fm.png (544 KB, 799x598)
544 KB
544 KB PNG
>>143370271
The most basic bitch taste of all, but I love TDKR and Year One. I've read a lot of Batman and these are the most enjoyable. It's all the Batman I'll ever need.
>>
>>143370320
>>143370345
All of these are trash.
>>
>>143370455
Name your favorite run
>>
>>143370644
None because all of them are trash.
>>
Denny O'Neil's run
>>143370455
>Hating Year One and TDKR
why?
>>
File: 1714178463735755.gif (3.03 MB, 480x270)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB GIF
>>143370271
>>
>>143370657
What a shit opinion
>>
>>143370704
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>143370729
You're the one coming into a thread about Batman comics to say that they're all shit like some faggot edgelord. There have to be better uses of your time man.
>>
>>143370774
>they're all shit like some faggot edgelord.
Reading those comics are faggot edgelord tier.
>>
>>143370805
There are plenty of those in there but there is a lot of good stuff in there that isn't. But whatever. You do you.
>>
>>143370774
nta but he's literally just saying that shit to piss people off and get (you)s just some pathetic nolifer.
>>
The Alan Grant/Doug Moench/Chuck Dixon trinity are the highpoint to me, along with occasional Dennis O'Neil stories and LOTDK. That whole era feels very timeless to me(and it's not bias, I was unborn, or a baby/toddler when those issues were initially coming out)- the stories feel like Batman at it's most essential. Embracing the fantastical elements of comics while paying respect to the material and able to go dark without it feeling like pandering to melodrama. I don't have the same love for NML because the shift to a more modern writing style with newer writers replacing the old guard, and trying to make things more "realistic" which ends up making them seem stupider.
>>
>>143370861
Feel like a dumbass for taking the bait. Either way, I love Morrison's run. Miller's stuff is a classic for a reason. I really like the few issues that Peter Milligan did too. i wish he had more time on the title.
>>
>>143370861
Making shit up just to make yourself look good. What a faggot.
>>143370905
>Feel like a dumbass
Atleast you finally admitted it.
>>
>>143370271
Bob Haney’s Brave and the Bold, because it’s fucking loony.
>>
>>143370874
I miss the one style of Shadow of the Bat and LOTDK. I wish we had more of that. Hell, I just miss the actual detective aspects of Batman books.
>>
>>143370905
happens to the best of us, rule of thumb is that if they're not adding anything to the convo, just ignore them. also i'm really enjoying the current detective comics arc, it's nice to see bats genuinely smile for once.
>>
>>143370271
DC comics haven't been worth reading in decades.
>>
>>143371082
I've read the first few issues of Ram V's run and I liked it but it just moves so slow. I might revisit it when it's over. Hopefully it reads better that way. I'm glad at least one of the main Bat books is good because Zdarsky's is fucking horrible.
>>
>>143370271
What's yours?
>>
>>143371167
>>143371082
Kill yourself ram’s run is fucking terrible
>>
>>143370271
For story, I still don't have one definitive favorite as a majority I've read so far are incredible with their own ups and downs such as Doug's Red Rain trilogy with Kelley's iconic and very appropriate art considering the general genre, and then the sheer range of one shots in the Batman Black and White books, with a special mention to Perpetual Mourning by McKeever from the very first Black and White volume. It's a very short read if anyone's curious and terrifically mind boggling how good it is from someone who never seemingly wrote anything else Batman wise.

As for Batman runs, the only one I've read fully with proper focus and time for a deeper analysis was Snyder's Batman run. I'm well aware of the critiques pertaining it, most of them being quite valid especially considering the whole hullabaloo when that run was being written and published, but the level of detail in regards of themes and his own examination of Batman and his mythos is simply astounding to dissect, even as fantastical it was in comparison to the preferred grounded and more somber tones that Batman stories naturally flourish in.

I'll spare people of my frankly embarrassingly long, somewhat biased, and detailed analysis and thoughts about Snyder's Batman run. I, again, am quite aware that the general opinion on it to be negative and reading a random person compliment something you consider utter shit leads to a lot of wasted time.

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to reading the run with O'Neil on the Bat Editor chair when I finally get the time to do so. I've heard excellent things about the run in its entirety, even though it's penned by different writers and consistency in long lived comics is nigh on impossible if the house isn't in order.
>>
>>143370271
Morrison run. It's a shame that the new 52 semi-ruined it.
>>
Morrison's and King's run are the only ones I find myself re-reading over and over again. Morrison's is definitely my favorite and I love how all over the place it is, but King's run is pretty consistent and I love the focus on the romance with Catwoman.

Has there been any good runs since King's ended? Tynion's was terrible I thought. I was in and out during the "Joker War" slogfest I dropped the book entirely. Kind of wild how went from two decades of auteur writers on the main Batman title and then to that slop.
>>
>>143373335
Currently, Ram V's Gotham Nocturne in 'Tec and Waid's World's Finest are the best ongoing runs according to a vast majority of people. V's Gotham Nocturne is generally slow paced and written in a way that feels less like a comic and more prose and symbolism art project at certain times, while Waid's World Finest is more straightforward as a mostly lighthearted general superhero comic.

I stopped following V's run and I'm waiting for it to finish to pick it up again because it felt weird to be caught up with it, like only having the first lines of a poem and then having to wait for months for each line to get published individually.

You might like it since it's doing a Batman analysis and deconstruction that's more artistic than how King tends to write.

The Batman comics were in a weird time from King to Zdarsky, you could argue that they still are even with the lack of a proper Bat Editor and how disjointed the Batman book and Detective Comics are with each other and the upcoming event-crisis, so that weird time explains the drop in quality and whatever DC Editors were doing that made Tynion quit or something similar from the little I can remember, either from a substack or an interview.

It might be a while until the Bat office gets its shit together though.
>>
>>143370271
Batman as written by post 9/11 Frank Miller is the best character in fiction.
>>
>>143370271
>Whats your favorite Batman run or story and why???
>favorite run
Dickbats and Damian by morrison

>favorite issue
either batman 700 or batman the return.

>favourite story:
dark knight, dark city
>>
>>143370271
unironically
>>
>>143370271
>>
File: long halloween cover.jpg (82 KB, 304x475)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>143370271
For me it's Long Halloween. Batman is a real detective, Two-Face is my favorite Batman villain, I love the concept of exploring the transition between normal gangsters and supervillains, the art is incredible, and other reasons I'm too lazy to list.
I also love how batshit crazy Venom is.
>>
>>143370271
Legends of the Dark Knight's original run Post Crisis was pretty great. If the Bronze Age was the foundation of the "house" that is Batman, I'd say those stories (and much of the stories that occurred immediately after Crisis on Infinite Earth) are the walls that define its shape.
>>
>>143373573
I've been looking for a modern run to check out for a while now, I'll pick up Ram V's Detective Comics to see if it's worth collecting.
>>
>>143373900
Honestly bummed me out when I learned that the animated Long Halloween was tied to that new animated movie universe post-Apokolips War, and then there were the changes in the movie that were just bad.

To this day, I still have no clue why they changed the story the way they did. I really wish we could've had a proper adaptation.
>>
>>143373957
I saw a behind the scenes of the director explaining that he was brainstorming how to make Sale's style work in animation before he got orders from up above to make it a part of that short lived animated universe. Incredibly frustrating cause you just know they aren't ever gonna try to do it again any time this decade.
>>
>>143370271

Dark Knight Returns. I know it's not a particularly original pick, but it IS the best.
>>
>>143373941
I hope you enjoy! From what I did read before stopping, it was a very interesting angle and it made me realize there hasn't been that kind of narrative style in a Batman story for quite a long time.

>>143373969
That's depressing to learn, but thank you for the closure on that mystery. Unfortunately that tracks with the historical pattern of awful executive decisions from DC. Could you imagine if it had received an adaptation to the likes of The Doom That Came To Gotham animated movie?

On a hopefully less terrible topic, what's your thoughts and opinions on Dark Victory? I've always been amazed at Sale's coloring choices for whenever he and Loeb show Bruce's past contrasting with the present.
>>
>>143370455
>>143370657
Why are you even here?
>>
I like batman INC the morrison one, art by chris burnham made it that comic, its crazyness is perfect.
>>
>>143373689
All these suck. What’s wrong with you?
>>
>>143373037
Fuck off scott your run is fucking terrible.
>analysis
>examination
>simply astounding to dissect
Kys
>>
>>143375421
Scott Snyder is such a loser.
>>
>>143374330
To collect (You)s, apparently.
>>
>>143373335
Nice bait.
>>
>>143377190
???
>>
>>143377710
It's probably just someone desperately trying to get (You)s and meager crumbs of attention. I can't even call it trolling because the attempts are more pitiful than anything else.

On the other hand, it's free bumps that are very easy to hide, so I'm not complaining.
>>
>>143377847
I don't really spend a lot of time on /co/ (or 4chan) so I can't discern the trolls really. Sometimes it's obvious but maybe I'll get better at it.
>>
>>143370271
The Morrison run with The Butler Did It two parter as my favorite.
>>
>>143370271
the morrison run as a whole, but the first story dunno, it starts so out of nowhere and so fucking hard its like so in my mind whenever i think batman, it helps it had some top tier capeshit looks.

second place its the black glove, cuz jh williams always flexes.
>>
>>143377903
People have spent ages on this website and still fall for bait. You’re a retard.
>>
>>143377903
Understandable. If anything, most of them are you've seen one, you've seen them all, especially in Batman posts. It really gets dull after a while, but it can be a helpful skill when it comes to discern whenever someone is being genuine or just wasting your time.

Anyway, any Batman story you really like?
>>
>>143378367
I’m trans btw
>>
>>143377710
>>143377847
Stop pretending, Kingfags.
>>
>>143378367
From Morrison's run in particular, I really like The Return of Bruce Wayne. It should be such a bizarre story compared to traditional Batman comics, but Morrison does a really good job of making it feel true to the character despite this. From King's run the 4th (?) annual "From the Diary of Alfred Pennyworth" is really great.

There's actually a lot of similarities between Morrison and King that I rarely see people point out, but the connections are there. If you've read All Star Superman and Superman: Up in the Sky you can see it even more so. They're both willing to incorporate silver age characters and concepts into the story without sacrificing the psychological depth.
>>
>>143378511
I'll try to read those Superman comics when I can then. I'm normally interested in only Batman, but I am curious about the similarities between two seemingly very distinct writers.

Morrison's ability to balance the most outlandish scenarios and yet maintain character consistency and tone is something to admire. It's a shame when his balance slips though. There were some moments in Batman R.I.P that felt so odd I struggled to push them aside and continue reading.
>>
File: Batman tec 822.jpg (84 KB, 600x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>143370271
Year One.
Morrison (Black Glove-RIP in particular)
Knightfall.
Dark Moon Rising (Matt Wagner)
Faces (Matt Wagner)
Dini's Detective Comics
O'Neil's 70s shit
The Cult
>>
>>143370271
Batepic
>>
>>143374139
Dark Victory was actually one of the first "full length" Batman comics I've read after The Killing Joke. The library didn't have the Long Halloween amusingly enough. It's one of those stories that really set the tone of how Batman should be if that makes sense.
>>
>>143379464
I’m trans btw.
>>
>>143374330
There is a guy on /co/ whose autistic fixation is hating DC comics, might be him.
Or could be one of those guys who are terminally online and bored trying to farm salt/(you)s. They seem to plague every website these days its very tiresome.
>>
>>143379561
>They seem to plague every website these days its very tiresome.
You’re not going to find well adjusted people online. They don’t exist. You should put that energy into real people in real life if it’s so tiresome to you.
>>
>>143379464
It does make sense. There's such a satisfying feeling to see Batman in his natural habitat, so to speak. Like watching the active inner workings of clockwork, it just fits and it fits well.

I hope more noir Batman stories, be them the main books, limited runs, and one issue stories, get published in the future. There's only so many times you can re-read what's already there before the yearning for new stuff becomes overbearing.

Would you have any suggestions for stories that have that same feel to Long Halloween and Dark Victory? Chances are I probably already read them, but I find very unexpected recommendations from time to time.
>>
File: 1696496761107620.jpg (1.48 MB, 1987x3056)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>143370271
Last Knight on Earth. I just like these Elseworlds-type stories and the mystery of finding stuff out as you read along.The over-the-topness of it all helps too.
>>
>>143378869
>The Cult
Based, that was my first batman comicbook back then in 2007, I borrowed from a public library here in Europe.
>>
>>143380429
>Last Knight on Earth
I think this is the only good batman comicbook made by Scott Snyder that has a good/proper ending.
>>
>>143373714
This needs a movie adaptation more than any other book posted itt
>>
>>143381307
Last Knight on Earth is Snyder and Capullo's personal farewell to their Batman, so it makes sense it has a proper ending. Besides them, I don't know if anyone else has had the chance to write and publish their personal send-off to their Batman run in a proper limited issues as Snyder and Capullo had.

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Gaiman doesn't count, seeing that he never had a Batman run.
>>
Long Halloween
>>
>>143370271
>Looks for recommendations on good bats stories
>Everything is old as fuck nothing new

Why are comic fans like this? old = good, new = complete dog shit not worth nobodies time, worst trash ever made. No wonder why is it so hard to start reading comic books
>>
File: 5559681.jpg (184 KB, 600x766)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>143383637
In terms of new stuff, I liked pic related, but it's more Joker oriented. Still, a more interesting dissection of him than the regular monthly releases.
>>
>>143383637
It's not entirely unwarranted, newer comics are rather inconsistent with quality and tone that it's hard to sift through to find specks of gold. While on the other hand, the 70's-90's are a treasure trove of good Batman stories that you can just recommend the whole era of comics really, as strange and bad comics from that time aren't nearly enough to drag down the overall quality from being great.
>>
>>143381319
I like good comics, not good movie pitches.
>>
>>143383637
There's plenty of good modern stories.
Zero Year
Batman (2016) #51-53 - Cold Days
Batman (2016) #54 - The Best Man
Batman (2016) #128-130 second stories - I Am A Gun
Batman (2016) Annual #2 - Some of These Days
Batman (2016) Annual #3 - Father's Day
Batman (2016) Annual #4 - Everyday
Batman Incorporated (2012) - The Demon Star
Batman: The Brave and the Bold: The Winning Card
Robins: Being Robin
Batman/Elmer Fudd #1
Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P. #1
Batman: Urban Legends: Hounded
Deathstroke Vs Batman
Detective Comics #1000: Batman's Greatest Case
Penguin #6-7 - An Unimportant Man

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.