[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: p9471669_b_v10_be.jpg (378 KB, 1536x2048)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
That was peak worldbuilding, I mean, not that the world it built is that interesting, but the way the story presented it to the audience was pretty much perfect. Even seemingly unimportant episodes would sprinkle just enough lore in it, no info dump, just a very clear picture of the wold being painted over 5 seasons.
>>
Steven Universe was never good and has done irreversible damage to both western animation and western culture.
>>
File: Lupin stirs coffee.gif (780 KB, 500x281)
780 KB
780 KB GIF
The first season was peak worldbuilding and everything afterwards failed to life up to the hype.
>>
>>143375060
If a silly kids show is enough to do irreversible damage to both western animation and western culture then it was shit from the start.
>>
>peridotfag spamming the fuck out of /aco/
Wew

>>143375072
Blowing the whole budget on celebrity guests probably had a lot to do with that
>>
>>143375105
well yes, but also yes.
>>
>>143375054
>That was peak worldbuilding, I mean, not that the world it built is that interesting
Most inteligent SU fan.
>>
>>143375221
>Blowing the whole budget on celebrity guests probably had a lot to do with that
I Didn't notice any celebrities so they just waisted there money.
>>
>>143375245
Every gem fusion is voiced by a celebrity, and Garnet herself is voiced by an english singer named Estelle which is why she appears the least often among all the other gems. One thing I didn't know until now is that Mr. Smiley is voiced by Sinbad
>>
>>143375054
>the way the story presented it to the audience was pretty much perfect
mmm, maybe in earlier seasons. but the truth i skipped through most of s4 and 5 since it was mostly townie filler shit. steven universe had very good worldbuilding early on but when it decided to do absolutely nothing with it and stay on earth just to make the crystal gem dramatic hobos that' s when i tuned out. too much cry, not enough go into space
>>
>>143375072
I agree, the Gems are very interesting in terms of worldbuilding, it feels like a massive waste of the concept.
>>
>>143375295
That's bullshit, only a few of them is a celebrety guest
>>
>>143375054
>That was peak worldbuilding
Stopped reading right here.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>143375060
Steven Universe is better than your favorite show
>>
>>143375054
It was at its best at the earlier seasons and then it went south. All that world building and for what? His mom started bullshit that he had to fix, and how the villains got redeemed feel so childish.
>>
>>143375054
I agree anon. Media illiterate modern audiences just aren’t ready for something as peak as Steven Universe.
>>
File: 1617816513362.png (1 KB, 210x230)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>143375060
You niggers just love to pin on Steven Universe what Adventure Time set in motion.
You're free to seethe about it as much as you like but SU is a symptom, not a cause, of a greater shift.
>>
Steven Universe was a masterpiece and I'm tired of pretending it's not.
>>
>>143377276
AT fags really don't like to look at themselves in the mirror when it comes to the fact that Steven Universe wouldn't have even gotten off the ground without Sugar using the show as a means of breaking into the industry.
>>
>>143376950
...in Bizarro's world.
>>
File: 1635361825038.png (16 KB, 366x301)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>143377580
It always genuinely baffles me how people throw so much shit at Steven Universe for what Adventure Time did first. If you want to talk about gay fluffy whimsical shit then Adventure Time should be the fucking poster child. When I was a kid I thought it was hipster shit for people who could not and did not want to make serious stories. The artstyle itself should fucking embody this and tell you everything but nobody says jack shit about that class of tumblr hipster bullshit at this point ever since Calarts took up the mantle as kang of ragebait styling. Both it and SU also have the same relative narrative arc of a bunch of whimsical shit undergoing deepest lorification. I think SU gets more flak because, for lack of a better word, its heart is on its sleeve and it was even more of an openly emotional show than AT. Maybe I'm wrong, but for SU to exist Adventure Time had to lay the groundwork.
>>
File: Smiling friends point.jpg (106 KB, 779x577)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>143377276
>>143377580
>>143377921
Desu I'd go so far as to say that Steven Universe couldn't have even gotten approved as a concept without AT doing the work, regardless of whether or not it was being pitched by Sugar. CN saw the success of "Boy in a magical world going on adventures with hints of deepest lore" and clearly wanted to follow up on that with another one. People also forget that when AT was first airing it WAS referred to as CalArts and this board was constantly bitching about it, you can even check the earliest surviving archives if you don't believe me.
>>
>>143377987
Well yes, that's the thing, you're right. Adventure Time in general led the way to a certain "type" of cartoon that exists and is either worshipped or despised now, but Steven Universe got the brunt of the culture war bullshit since it's so earnest about what it is and likely due to its popularity. Maybe people who grew up liking AT but who would go on to despise SU just don't see the resemblances, but the genetics are there.
>>
>>143377921
I guess most people dropped AT before they could fuck up what they liked about it.
>>
People that grew up with AT don't want to admit that it was the origination point of all the cancer in modern Western animation even when the endless continuations and side series bash you over the head with it. They have their nostalgia goggle pressed so tight into their faces it's cutting of the circulation around their eyes. SU got a huge amount of flack at the height of the culture war shit because that's when it reached the zenith of its popularity and most people don't follow trend lines, so they just saw it as the show that poisoned Western animation even though that was done 3 years before it even started airing.
>>
>>143379543
That's my thing, anon, see, so far as I can tell what people liked about AT, before it was "ruined", was already a foreshadowing of why SU was so loathed.
>>
>>143379952
I get what you were coming from.
>>
I never understood the appeal of muh worldbuilding when the fun part of any story is with the characters and the dilemmas they go through.
Then again I'm not autistic.
>>
>>143380066
>I never understood the appeal of muh worldbuilding when the fun part of any story is with the characters and the dilemmas they go through.
The World Building (TM) is just the set up for the scenarios and characters. Like the Gems would not be the characters we know them as without the whole Gem bullshit that lead to their existence.
>>
>>143375054
>no human government presence, humans don't care about the existence of aliens/rampaging monsters/abandoned technology, no military or police trying to protect the planet or investigate abductions
>Gems are never given a reason for their constant population expansion/wartime footing, annihilated a bunch of garden worlds but somehow never genocided another sapient species (as if that makes it any better, hell they didn't even recognize it when they found one)
It was dogshit worldbuilding lmao.

It was one of the biggest failures of the show, especially when you want to write about complex emotions and empathy when your humans are mindless NPC bug people and your aliens are basically just obliterating habitable planets and creating horrible centipede constructs for the lols.
>>
>>143380554
I know worldbuilding is required but hyper focusing on it definitely seems like an autistic trait for sure, I just don't get it, except as a setup for an important story beat.
>>
>>143376688
Many of them are expensive performers who wouldn’t normally accept a cartoon voice gig. Yellow Duamond’s va is a rather pretentious film and stage actress; Pink Diamond is freakin Meg from Hercules; Blue is some Irish musician- and White is also some kinda stage actress no straight man under the age of 60 has ever heard of. The stupid Garnet/Amethyst fusion is Nikki Minaj- who no one likes anymore, so there’s that.
>>
>>143375060
This.
It was some gay coded show aimed at children, sugar is a fucking pedophile propagator.
>>
>>143375054
This shows big failure was being the same "Love and friendship wins over everything" shit that Undertale had.

Kids need to learn that some people will never listen to reason, never back down, and never stop until they beat you and the only way to deal with them is to stand your ground and kick their shit in.
>>
>>143375054
>That was peak worldbuilding,
>I mean, not that the world it built is that interesting
Make up your mind anon.
>>
>>143375060
FPWP

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.