[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2114428-arawn_couv_t1.jpg (166 KB, 580x738)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
sense the last thread did so well, I thought we could try to make this an annual thing. Hopefully threads like these can show people some different kinds of comics and toons too enjoy.
>>
Shame the Corro Maltese thread didn't take off. The comics are considered masterpieces.

And the whole TV series is free on YouTube as well:https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQGZSV9PRCFlafkgGVbjS1WLu2TFf82Hk&si=bXRJPaNPwbS1aAWR
>>
TOPOLINO!!

TOPOLINO!!!

Topolino....?

TOPOOOOLLLIINNOOOO!!!!!!!!
>>
>>143501024
Sick poster.
>>
>>143501024
People on /co/ are too retarded to read Corro.

>>143501065
What is the appeal? Are Italy's Disney comics that good? The art looks nice but this feels like more child slop. I'd be happy if I were proven wrong.
>>
Where my Loisel bros at?
>>
File: 168_02.jpg (610 KB, 1000x1537)
610 KB
610 KB JPG
>>143501192
They're family friendly but that doesn't mean they're bad.
>>
>>143501341
Well I also cuz this board is mostly filled with people talking about children shows they grew up with. Alot of those shows are not super entertaining (at least too me)

But I am quite curious about the Italian Disney comics. A bunch of people have praised them too hell and back. I might give in and read them.
>>
>>143501341
I say this all the time. Disney has so much fucking material for this damn mouse that they refuse to use. Never turn you character into a symbol. You'll never be able to use it.
>>
>>143501269
Best tink. Fight me.
>>
You think European comics would be more popular around the world. There huge in there home continent, but alot of the most popular/best stuff goes ignored everywhere else. Someday I hope the euro comic industry will get the same boom manga did.
>>
Need more folks in the thread. Bump.
>>
>>143501192
>Corro
OH NO NO NO
>>
>>143502017
Life lessons for today...

Don't post on 4chan mobile.
>>
File: MMOTPB.png (1.21 MB, 1464x1017)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>143501403
Duck Comics are what you should hit up first. Read life and times of Scrooge McDuck and see if you like it. Check through Carl Barks and Don Rosa's shit. Check the translated over seas stuff and also branch out into shit like Double Duck and Papernik if they catch your fancy. Mickey has some decent stuff too. They're not like groundbreaking but they're solid stories. Fun to read if nothing else.
I get what you mean, it's always capeshit and DTVA shows
>>143501441
Paul Ruddish Mickey at least was a step in the right direction with Mickey being actually funny again
>>
>>143502088
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll hit em up when I get the time. I will definitely start with the duck comics, because most people say those are some of the best, so I gotta find out for myself. And although I do actually like mickey alot, his comics will probably be a lower priority for me.

>Paul Ruddish Mickey at least was a step in the right direction with Mickey being actually funny again.

The short we're good, especially considering what character the team had to deal with. I'm still holding out for a proper (GOOD) DuckTales esc show. Either from Disney or people using public domain material.

>>143502017
Oh no...
>>
File: EWpOpz3UcAAqtA0.jpg (204 KB, 1000x734)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>143502188
Comics Mickey is weird because he's a freelance detective/police consultant foiling the plots of weird criminals. Like he has an actual job rather than doing kinda whatever the plot wants.
>>
>>143502339
Well...

That's definitely not the archetype I thought they would use for mickey mouse. Funny.

I do have one more question though...where the fuck is goofy? In the world of television and film, he's huge. But I don't see him brought up when talking about the comics.
>>
>>143501269
Most of these guys comics aren't translated, besides Peter Pan and the quest for the time bird (and that mickey comic)

How the hell do I read his shit?
>>
>>143501096
Why does he always wear that hat, even if hes in the middle of the dessert or a snow storm. It makes no sense. Also the earring is stupid. I tried to read this comic, but the colors and shadowing gave me a headache
>>
>>143503220
>Tell me you have shitty tastes without telling me you have shitty tastes.
>>
>>143502669
My advice is to learn french, italian or spanish. That way, you'll get everything they release. I'm a spic and since we usually get everything published in Spain we get a healthy dose of eurocomics, and it's not too complicated to find them at thrift stores, although it's getting more and more rare.

>>143503220
He's a sailor and that's part of his uniform. Also agree with >>143503476

>>143501548
Eurocomics had their peak from the 60s to the 80s, you had the best artists actively working and thousands of magazines. Now we get to pay a fortune for collected editions (book collecting Moebius' strips for Les Humanoides, I'm looking at you)
>>
>>143503220
>I tried to read this comic, but the colors and shadowing gave me a headache...

....what?
>>
>>143503899
i just realized that ive read a digital remake that was at my local library. I promise you the coloring and shadows were much worse than this gouache color version >>143503476
I got cynical and overreacted
>>
>>143504109
Are you sure you were reading a story drawn by Hugo Pratt? There's been newer books created by other writers and artists.
>>
>>143504144
>>143504109
You could have been reading those. I've never read them my self, I've heard there good, but I'm not too sure. It's fine though, at least you owned up to it. Would definitely recommend reading a better version of the stories though. There's a reason why these comics are considered the best of the best.
>>
>>143502339
Always liked art of a cartoony character in some grim/noir atmosphere
Do the comics stay good throughout?
>>
File: Blacksad-Comic.jpg (63 KB, 705x470)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Did anyone know there was a blacksad game? If anyone's played it, how was it?

>>143502088
The early duck comics are some of y favorite stuff in the medium. Never read the 90s and 2000s stuff though. I think that's when they introduced PK.
>>
Has anyone ever read Valérian and Laureline? The art looks pretty good.
>>
>>143505382
The game is kinda so-so, but for some reason the eurocomic adaptations are always kinda crappy. They made one of Druuna ages ago, but it has no nudity or sex. What's the point then?

>>143505515
That looks like a modern version, not the og. But Valerian is mandatory reading imo
>>
>>143505562
I'll check out valerian then. Not sure where to start but I'm sure the first couple of stuff would be the way too go.

>>143502339
Holy shit why does this go so hard?

>>143504517
>Always liked art of a cartoony character in some grim/noir atmosphere

It's strange how Disney characters specifically thrive off the "cartoon character in a dark world" trope, with stuff like kingdom hearts and epic mickey. I guess it's kind of similar too the appeal with turning a character like Superman a villain (tho that shit has been overplayed way too hard at this point.)
>>
>>143503616
>Eurocomics had their peak from the 60s to the 80s, you had the best artists actively working and thousands of magazines. Now we get to pay a fortune for collected editions (book collecting Moebius' strips for Les Humanoides, I'm looking at you)

God... European comics (objectively) are a fucking chore to collect. Well, it's a chore if you don't have insane amounts of money to spend that is.
>>
>>143506003
Eurocomics in that time frame were published in the same way than mangas: by chapters in monthly or weekly magazines. That's your Pilotes, Metal Hurlant, A Suivre, etc. Every major country in Europe had some. Eventually people just started waiting for the albums to be published. The issue here is that sometimes an artist's work is spread between dozens of publishing companies, and some of them don't even exist anymore. Like in Moebius' case, yeah, his estate is fucking retarded, but that other thing is also true, since a lot of his stuff was made for independent magazines as well. And then you have the whole issue about selling it to americans... Which in fact might be kinda difficult to do these days. In France, the market is 80% manga and 20 % BD.
>>
>>143501096
Looks cool. Who drew it?
>>
>>143507939
north koreans (unironically)
>>
>>143506544
>And then you have the whole issue about selling it to americans... Which in fact might be kinda difficult to do these days. In France, the market is 80% manga and 20 % BD.

Are Americans that hard too market too? I've always assumed most of the people here just eat shit up, good or bad. It's not like euro comics are some sort of high art esc pieces of media, with in intensely meticulous plot structures that require years of literary knowledge to follow. It couldn't be a superhero problem either, because American comics have been dying for a decade, and majority (if not close to all) of American comics are just cape shit.
>>
>>143507958
They did the animation, but that poster art looks familiar. Someone European.
>>
File: 1714202308646108.png (401 KB, 400x553)
401 KB
401 KB PNG
>>143502339
This cover is always brought up, but...
>>
Everyone forgets When the Wind Blows was a comic first. Can't blame people though, the film is fantastic.
>>
>>143508444
By the way, does anyone think the comic is better then the film? I've asked people who read and watched both, and majority of people say the movie is better.
>>
>>143508306
It depends. Eurocomics' format is kinda weird, you just don't sell it as a comic book and the bigger size is kind of a dealbreaker for people who just want a comic to read. And there's the cultural aspect of them not being franchises in the american/japanese way, eurocomics are probably the last place where the majority of things are just about the comics themselves and not something to get you to watch a movie or an anime. Plus genre diversity is more real than in Japan and America. But at the same time, it's very european in the sense that things probably make more sense if you read them with those eyes.

And honestly, americans can be a tough audience sometimes. They buy everything, yes, but it helps if you're american. It took manga way longer to get popular in America than in other regions of the world, it really started being a thing more or less in the mid to late 90s, while in places like Europe and South America manga and anime were popular since the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>143508679
>there's the cultural aspect of them not being franchises in the american/japanese way, eurocomics are probably the last place where the majority of things are just about the comics themselves and not something to get you to watch a movie or an anime.

Thats probably one of the biggest aspects here. You can have an eternal debate about weather America's or Japan's media better then the other, but there's this one HUGE thing they share. There need to expand. And it's not always some cynical financial reason either (but of course that is the real reason most of the time). When something becomes big enough, they tend too branch out into other mediums, and produce more sequels, new timelines, reimaginings, etc - etc. sometime it's because writers and artists can't fit their vision into one condense package, sometimes it's purely for finical gain, or sometimes it's because they can't let go of there creation. Usually it's a little bit of all of them. But European comics don't branch out the same way the big two do. At least with comics specifically. I'm definitely not saying European media doesn't expand like that, it does happen alot. But with euro comics in particular, they do a good job of either finishing completely, or continue on without really going off and doing something else. To be frank though, I'm not entirely sure why this is. Is it really as simple as Americans and the Japanese enjoying the continuous girth of content? Again, it's not Europeans don't do this either, but it never goes to this extent.

>Plus genre diversity is more real than in Japan and America. But at the same time, it's very european in the sense that things probably make more sense if you read them with those eyes.

Well I'm entirely sure about that. Alot of manga and anime genres are distinctly "Japanese" in nature, and still succeed outside of there anyway. I guess maybe that's helped by the romanticization of there culture as a whole though.
>>
>>143508533
I've only read the comic.
>>
>>143508444
Why did they bury their dead in paper bags?
>>
>>143509233
I assume it was to help keep track of who died cause of the nuclear fallout.
>>
Keepers of the Maser is the coolest shit ever.
>>
>>143509455
Just look at this art.
>>
>>143509493
>>
>>143509567
>>
>>143509579
>>
>>143509603
>>
Bump.
>>
File: Wallace_and_Gromit.png (701 KB, 1514x1200)
701 KB
701 KB PNG
>>
Why are there two threads? >>143509334
Also, NEVER combine comics and cartoons in a single thread. I have filters in place that means I will likely not see threads if they mention cartoons or animation.
>>
>>143510997
I didn't make that other thread. Somebody else did. Also yeah, combining both comics and cartoons in the same thread never works. The thread is either only talking about comics or cartoons. I'll remember that for future reference.
>>
File: SHAKARA.jpg (412 KB, 889x1527)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
SHAKARA
>>
>>143511574
What the fuck is this? Robot looks cool as hell.
>>
>>143504517
So just bones? Are there actually any comics like bones? These mickey comics look pretty close.
>>
>>143511583
Its SHAKARA
>>
>>143503220
>Also the earring is stupid
Anon, wearing golden earrings used to be relatively common amongst sailors. One common explanation is that it was to pay for your burial if your corpse washed ashore on foreign shores, but it might have been a good luck charm, some other superstition, or more likely and boring, popular fashion at the time. Of course, all the lore surrounding it made it shorthand for a character or person being a hard man, so Corto Maltese wearing one makes perfect sense.

In fact, the practice remains today among traditional German journeymen, with the idea being that the earring can be sold in time of hardship.
>>
>>143512348
>Pulls up on the funny euro comic thread on 4chan
>Destroys a mans bad take with history
>>
>>143509134
NTA. But one problem with Eurocomics is that they're rather glacial to translate to other markets. My country is firmly in the Franco-Belgian tradition, but our market still doesn't have translations for Sillage up to what Ouash did, and he quit years ago. I don't own some albums of the comic because they were sold out, and the guy at the shop said it can dead ass take a year before they start reprinting. By the time they were available I had already read them online. And that's another thing: They're competing with the internet, where things are free and available. I think Americans do read more eurocomics than they're given credit for, because they keep showing up on the illegal online platform where I also read them. As someone in Europe, I'm now experiencing greater availability online in some cases than in stores, and these are all English-language. Some of them carry the Europe stamp, but others seem to be fan-translated. And for me, reading online presents an interesting solution to a problem with albums: Albums are kind of expensive, especially when you get into an entire series, and I can't predict whether I'm going to like something. But online? Yeah, it's free. I can decide if I like something, and if I do I can immediately read the entire thing. Without worrying if the shop still has the entire run, or if it's been translated yet.
>>
>>143511583
it's a main character of a 2000AD strip
>>
>>143512693
I think this is really the biggest downfall of European comics a s a whole. Trying to buy these complete books legally, officially, and cheap is a Herculean task. There's always a reason why you just can't get these euro comics. It's not translated, it's translation isn't finished, it's translation is taking too long, the translation is finished but they barley made enough copies of the book to feasibly obtain the product, and the list just goes on and on and on and on. It's maddening. at least american comics regularly get omnibuses and full sets. And manga is easier to obtain now more then ever, and that's not even getting to fact that more manga are getting omnibuses/collections too, plus - stuff is getting translated all the time. But good fucking luck if you want to support any comic from a European country that isn't super fucking huge. I'm not one of those physical media doomers who think books and shit are dying out. Will that happen one day? Yeah, but that won't stop physical books from being made entirely. At the very least, nerds will keep that stuff alive. But this is one of those situations where your realistically forced into one option. It's a real bummer too, cuz I wish I did own more of these euro comics physically. But I just can't justify dumping my hard ended cash on comic books, even the ones I love. And I really don't have the time to learns whole knew language. Which, even then, those comics are still expensive in there native homelands.
>>
>>143512811
Unironically learn french. In every french class there's going to be people who are there to be able to read BD.
>>
File: 71wLp+Zs08L._SL1500_ (1).jpg (185 KB, 1147x1500)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
What is the general /co/nsensus on Monster Allergy?
>>
>>143508679
>>143509134
The real reason for the lack of big multimedia franchise building isn't some sense of artistic integrity, it's the lack of money. Euro comics just don't have enough money behind them to make the jump to the screen. You can tell because all the most famous ones do have TV or film adaptations.
>>
>>143513596
>Unironically learn french
no.
>>
File: balade_v2_01.jpg (557 KB, 1676x2316)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>just discovered this
>cuts off at tome 4
>still no full translation
Way to rugpull me with these threads ,i was better off when capeshit was the only thing i knew
>>
>>143505382
>Did anyone know there was a blacksad game? If anyone's played it, how was it?
I spent hourson it, is okish, if you get fro 5 Euros go ahead.
>>
>>143514026
I don't think anons have read it. Perhaps do a storytime of it.
>>
>>143514831
Comme tu veux, pédé.
>>
>>143516145
Don't call me a pedo.
>>
>>143514935
Well now your just lying too yourself.
>>
>>143500932
For me? It’s Italian Popeye Comics (Braccio di Ferro)
>>
>>143517615
Popeyes popular in Italy? I never knew. I guess it makes sense in hindsight.
>>
File: 070.png (928 KB, 1126x1533)
928 KB
928 KB PNG
Dylan Dog is awesome, it's something that could be popular in america. Apparently there's a TV series in the making (if they didn't cancel it)
>>
File: Storm - 08.jpg (401 KB, 1920x1080)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>143517274
Do you have any clue how often this happens?Every third title or so that i come across seems to be either suspended in limbo in perpetuity or the translator and /or scanlator flat out just completely gave up and nobody else bothered to pick up.
This shit never happens in capes.
>>
>>143518109
But wasn't that show announced around 4 year ago? I've have heard anyone bring it up sense.
>>
>>143518223
Oh, I'm not denying it doesn't happen with euro comics, that's one of the major issues with them. I'm Just saying you are better not being shackled by the capes. More variety in your media consumption is a good thing, mad too be honest - the so called "greatest" cape stories pale to literally everything else.
>>
>>143502088
Mickey, why the fuck are you going outside without an umbrella? Your gonna catch a cold. Retard.rynn
>>
>>143501548
They're even losing popularity in Europe. It's mostly old people who where kids when series like Thorgal first came out that are still buying.
>>
>>143518634
Manga has seriously taken over. Which isn't the worst, there's some amazing manga out there (PTSD Radio, my beloved) but this booms really leaving out other cultures.
>>
>>143518634
not everywhere.
I think I've red that every 5th sold book in France is a comic one, that it still pretty huge
but yea, mangas are dominating everywhere

>>143518634
>Thorgal
I always wanted to read this but I just can't find it in my country - it is still being released but faggot company that has the rights doesn't reprint them so I can only overpay for the used ones and they are pretty pricey
I have the same issue with Blacksad, Blueberry and even Corto Maltese - they get printed in limited numbers without reprints - I hate when shitty companies get rights to good stuff
>>
>>143518109
im enjoying the dylan dog /Batman series so far.
When was the last time he got reprinted in english? its been a while
>>
Bump.
>>
File: SHITTY EDIT.jpg (74 KB, 720x252)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>143520396
I'll bump with some RATMAN

(Badly translated on the fly)
>>
File: CUCK JOKE.jpg (105 KB, 720x318)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>143520979
(The joke is that the mailman died)
>>
File: TENNIS HARAM.png (268 KB, 386x366)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>143520999
>>
>>143521046
>>
File: SCIENCE.png (64 KB, 278x274)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>143521098
>>
File: STASERA PIOVE.png (503 KB, 720x661)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
>>143502471
You wanted Goofy?
>>
File: DUMB AS BRICKS.jpg (194 KB, 960x456)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>143521288
>>
>>143520979
>>143520999
>>143521046
>>143521098
>>143521172
>>143521288
Batman looks kinda cool. It's a little funny too. Would absolutely love to see this in an animated form. That just feels right.
>>
>>143518223
>Dutch series
>translated to German
>then translated to English
>by someone who is a native speaker of neither
Oh boy. And I'm pretty sure Storm has already been officially translated to English.

>This shit never happens in capes.
Well... yeah. They don't need translation to begin with. Anyone interested in them can read them as is.

>>143518634
A lot of comics plainly cater to a niche adult audience, and maybe that's where the disconnect happens. When I was growing up comics were popular among kids, all the usuals. Tintin, Asterix, Suske & Wiske, and our local hit Sjors & Sjimmie (which I recently discovered inspired a nudist webcomic, of all things). But when I kept reading them as I grew older, I was one of the few. I have one friend who's into comics in the same way. Some people have casually read some due to my enthusiasm for the medium, but it never stuck. With manga, that transition seems to go a lot smoother, and it feels webtoons did a similar thing. I mean, the gap between Naruto and Berserk is obvious, but it's a lot smaller than the gap between Asterix and Requiem, for instance.

But would I want that to change? I don't know. Because frankly, I do enjoy the breadth of styles and stories in Eurocomics. And I do enjoy that the art form is often uncompromising to anything that could be construed as market desire. If it chased the market, we'd be inundated with stuff I wouldn't want to read anyway. So for me nothing would change, except that the good stuff would be even harder to find.
>>
>>143521420
>Batman

Fucking Christ, RATman! Auto correct is a bitch.
>>
File: WOMANLY SECRETS.jpg (304 KB, 1024x971)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>143521420
It did get an animated series which captured none of the things that made Ratman great, ending up as a dead cartoon with 50 unfunny episodes you can find on YouTube.
>>
File: WAR IN EUROPE.jpg (223 KB, 960x898)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>143521519
Last one cuz I have a plane to catch tomorrow.
>>
>>143518109
I haven't been able to read much, but it comes off as too stiff.
>>
boo
>>
>>143523753
Bs
>>
>>143521423
Sjors & Sjimmie are great. The nudist stuff doesn't come as that big of a surprise.

I think European comic makers have themselves to blame for a bit, by not fostering an online community at all. They're still living in the age of weekly/monthly magazines like Eppo.
>>
>>143524417
>>
>>143524308
bullshit?
>>
>>143525996
Nay. Boo-bs.
>>
>>143524417
There's some nudity in Sjors & Sjimmie, but the webcomic (Greyfriars) is one of those things that's made by an active nudist who's a little too much into his own hobby.

>I think European comic makers have themselves to blame for a bit, by not fostering an online community at all. They're still living in the age of weekly/monthly magazines like Eppo.
Our comics community is just a little too old-fashioned. I'm pretty sure Eppo is only being read by older guys, too. I don't think I've seen an issue at any point in my life. I ended up reading a comics news site a while ago, and it's pretty clear our industry has problems. A lot of older dudes think ancient series are still relevant, and people who want to attract a younger audience are themselves old and barking up the wrong tree. One of them said he wanted to invite Allison Bechdel to our largest comics expo (if he could, and he can't) but in the meantime he doesn't invite the authors of one of the most popular comics among young people, who also run one of the largest publishing houses, two of whom live in the city the expo is held, and one of whom was saying all this in the comments (he's also the one who signed my copy that my sister got me years ago, which gives you an idea how popular they are: people who don't read comics read their comics and know who they are). My man was blind as fuck. Dude in the comments also pointed out that you can't earn shit as a comic author in this country, and one of the people he represents is already publishing graphic novels for the American market. Probably our most successful comic author is publishing a shitty woke comic on Webtoons. The site had an interview with her, and her grammar is all fucked. She can't even speak proper Dutch.

So yeah, it's basically a bunch of old men who've allowed themselves to be completely waylaid by the modern market.
>>
>>143527723
nudism isn't a hobby. no more than wearing clothes is a hobby.
>>
>>143527723
What site? I only know Stripspeciaalzaak but that doesn't allow comments.
>>
>>143527765
Nobody makes webcomics about wearing clothes, tho.

>>143527869
Stripjournaal.com
>>
I just wanna thank you based anons.

Every euro comic thread is always fun and I learned French from a link that one of you guys posted years back.
>>
>>143528325
well, share the link then. Make me based.
>>
>>143500932
Anyone here read The Mercenary?
>>
>>143527723
>There's some nudity in Sjors & Sjimmie, but the webcomic (Greyfriars) is one of those things that's made by an active nudist who's a little too much into his own hobby.

How is Greyfriars related to Sjors & Sjimmie?
>>
>>143530336
Nope. Never have. What's the comics bout'?
>>
>>143530416
It isn't officially, but it literally uses a blonde kid and a black kid called George and Jimmy. Even the plots of the few comics I read felt Sjors&Sjimmie-esque.
>>
>>143530416
It's a pretty clear send-up. Greyfriars' Island is a direct translation of Schiermonnikoog, where Sjors & Sjimmie takes place, and follows similar rules. Namely, being presented as far larger and more populated than it actually is in reality. Two of the main characters in Greyfriars are clear send-ups of Sjors & Sjimmie themselves, having similar names and a similar family situation.

Kind of a strange aberration. Turns out the creator did the old webcomic Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan, which apparently fell off in 2017. But Greyfriars is almost completely a COVID project. Guess he was one of those people who suddenly needed something to do to pass the time. I mean, I have a mate who started brewing beer. Certainly a more tasty way to deal with COVID.
>>
File: Hauteville House 1.jpg (904 KB, 1701x2338)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
Anything similar to this out there?
>>
>>143532879
Just steampunk? I haven't read it so I don't know the story.

I've see Lady Mechanika in stores here, but I haven't read it.
>>
>>143532879
This looks interesting.
>>
>>143534837
I have a bunch physically. First run is OK, but I kinda dipped out with the second plot. Fuckers are hardcovers, too. Set me back a pretty penny.
>>
>>143535211
What is it about?
>>
File: 00a couv.jpg (212 KB, 1000x1380)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>143530336
>The Mercenary
>>143530907
Storytimed last year:
https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/138976199
https://desuarchive.org/co/thread/138996929
>>
>>143536819
Not that Anon but I recall it was incomplete since OP didn't have the other volumes.
>>
File: Ongezellig.jpg (161 KB, 701x1024)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>
File: Sientje.jpg (74 KB, 890x501)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
File: A kockasfulu nyul.png (62 KB, 204x353)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
What happened to hungarian animation?
https://files.catbox.moe/cjter3.mp4
>>
File: droners.jpg (123 KB, 1024x738)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
What's the /co/nsensus on this French cartoon?
>>
>>143539938
First thoughts; reminds me of wakfu. Infact, isn't wakfu French?
>>
>>
File: 98700.jpg (276 KB, 850x836)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>143500932
Where the fuck is my sequel anon?
>>
File: O dorotce.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>
>>143539656
What happened to eastern europe animation?

>Most of their output was produced between the '60s and '80s, which coincided with an animation slump in the West, but this time was actually the golden age of Hungarian animation, and the true "dark time" followed once the studio lost its state funding and foreign animated works drew away their audience beginning in the '90s. That said, due to thin budgets and technical limitations, some of their releases did feature shortcomings associated with this era, like Off-Model art, Limited Animation, This example contains a YMMV entry. It should be moved to the YMMV tab.Padding or an over-reliance on dialogue. Unlike the majority of Western cartoons from this time however, Pannonia continuously kept creating works aimed at all ages rather than pandering mostly to children, and the abundance of varied art designs and subject matters kept the bulk of their cartoons from becoming stale.
>>
>>143501024
Co is for mentally ill gooners anon, this board was never good apart of the ocasional story tiem.
>>
>>143530336
Segrelles is the best. Every snippet of his comic is art.
>>
File: Couv_160677.jpg (124 KB, 500x666)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>143532879
There is Clockwerx but it's a short run (just three volumes) and the only other one i can think of is Metropolis and then maybe the Keepers of Mashe but the later borders on fantasy territory.
>>
>>
File: Borge ring anton.jpg (329 KB, 1000x660)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
Borge Ring's animations are extremely fun and cute and is beloved in both his native Denmark as his future home of the Netherlands.
I remember watching Anton a lot as a kid when we had an afternoon break from elementary school and could go home. It's in a very childish but soft style:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt7BhbhAU2A&t=196s [Open]
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCui79v3XVg [Open]
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-x4QDdqOQ [Open]

Fun fact: Gene Deitch of Tom & Jerry and Munro fame was the production supervisor on the Anton series.
>>
Did know edna and harvey had a comic
>>
File: kojot.webm (3.92 MB, 854x480)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
>>143539656
you cherry picking happened
>>
I wish we got more Rocco Vargas stuff or even just book 5 onwards translated to English. There was some fun and evolving art there.
>>
>>
>>
File: A kockasfulu nyul.jpg (74 KB, 1024x547)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
File: Pat and mat.jpg (72 KB, 1024x576)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
These mfs are so /int/ernationally relevant that even a kurdish television channel airs it these days. It's a crazy world.
>>
>>
File: 1712520209882930.jpg (14 KB, 455x575)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>143530336
No....
>>
File: Mezga family.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
every Mézga episode+extras
>aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZvbGRlci9KZW9UbkFTVCN2b2lFdUxVMWJWdGthVmZ0Q0FTbDVn
every Kockásfülű episode (not in order)
>https://archive.org/details/a-kockasfulu-nyul
Pangea TV english subtitled episodes
>https://archive.org/details/pangea-tv-english-translation

anything else?
>>
File: Trolls de Troy.jpg (212 KB, 1024x1024)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>
File: Song of the Sea Cartoon.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
File: Cardcaptor diss.jpg (69 KB, 960x720)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>143544213
What?
>>
File: Edna and harvey.jpg (159 KB, 695x1024)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>143547383
Here is what i'm talking about...
>>
>>143546095
>>
2.65 MB WEBM
4K restoration: https://youtu.be/m8HsvhYdgPI?si=txaIbhYmR_eoaxQY
English subbed: https://youtu.be/gOIXnMUmn5I
>>
File: Jucika.jpg (238 KB, 1470x746)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
Was wondering if newguy was still here...
>>
>>143500932
What last thread?
>>
File: Muzzy Sylvia.jpg (72 KB, 656x1024)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>
>>143550057
>muzzy
I remember the commercials trying to flog that fluffy bastard on us.
>>
>>143550397
Where?
>>
>>143543279
where is this from? looks neat
>>
>>
File: A Kind of Magic cartoon.png (435 KB, 1280x720)
435 KB
435 KB PNG
>>
File: jucika original.jpg (90 KB, 313x318)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>
>>
>>143509455
Has the entire series been translated into English ?
>>
File: 57290965.jpg (187 KB, 1400x1867)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>143500932
got this one though I can't read it. looks pretty cool
>>
File: 458472.jpg (68 KB, 274x400)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>143500932
Saw this at my comic shop and picked it up during a half off sale.
it was great.
>>
>>143552540
Yep. Buying the English books physically is a bitch though.
>>
>>143552589
That art looks phenomenal! Have you checked an see if it was fans translated? I'm interested just looking at the cover.

>>143550015
>>143354837

>>143541470
>>143545112
>>143545638
>>143545638
So I take it that you all don't know any euro toons NOT made for children, hm?

>>143539938
Why doe sit look like wakfu?

>>143514935
Cape shit isn't really art.
>>
File: 2m2qc9-2727776716.jpg (83 KB, 939x500)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>143552589
even the shittiest smartphone now has auto translation things, you can easily read it.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (146 KB, 558x768)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
looking for a scan or rip of this book.
Anybody got any links for BD forums? French, English, dutch whatevers.
here is a Romanian forum that's been around forever.
http://romania-inedit.3xforum.ro/
>>
>>143553393
try sadpanda, I have seen many juicy euro books in there
>>
>>143553133
>So I take it that you all don't know any euro toons NOT made for children, hm?

That poster is a pedophile who spams the toddler shit he’s obsessed with in every other Euro thread. Just report his posts as the useless spam that it is.
>>
>>143546095
I feel like I was just able to read these link codes but now I can't find a site that does it. Which one do people use again?
>>
>>143554223
Ah, so I'm not weird from getting pedo vibes.
>>
>>143540683
>>143553133
It looks more like Disney Channel shit than Wakfu you guys. Mostly the logo feels Wakfu adjacent. The eyes look more like Molly McGee or Haley's On It.
>>
>>143502339
Really? That's hilarious. I already love this version of Mickey more than that bland puppet Disney hangs around.
>>
>>143556368
Well when you drain a character dry for decades, I guess you rely on the Italians to make something of the husk you left behind.

Also, a little off topic, I always find it funny how they portrayed Donald as if he were jealous too mickey all the time (in the mickey mouse club intros, and the movie work intros) when realistically mickey should be the one jealous of do Donald for being gutted if all personality.

>>143533765
Women with large shot guns turn me on.

>>143527723
You think the younger generation of euro comic artists could learn from these mistakes? Is so, there could be a another big competitor in the market, as long as they don't try and be worse versions of manga (*cough* *cough* American comics *cough*)
>>
File: roxanna2.jpg (836 KB, 1481x2005)
836 KB
836 KB JPG
>>143501269
Quest for the time bird was ok, but not his best work. The story really wasn't anything special, though I'm pretty sure somebody else wrote the story. The art is still fantastic though.

I know this is a bit redundant to state, but his rendition of peter pan is still some of his best work (though most people here usually bring his Peter Pan comics up so they can lust over his tink. Honestly though, fair. I still don't know how he made her that hot.) but the comics themselves are actually really good.

A shame the omnibuses for both comics are so expensive now. They should really do a reprint of those some time.
>>
File: 005.jpg (1.31 MB, 1455x1920)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>143556748
remember how the first Gypsy book was drawn in manga style? Wish they had continued like that for the rest of the series.
>>
Schuiten just had a new book in 2023. Still looks great.
But it's true, the glory days of European comics were in 1970s and 1980s. The over saturation and the dead of all the major magazines spelled the end of the era that will never be repeated again.
>>
File: Judge1.jpg (146 KB, 564x748)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Anyone have any of the old black and white inked 2000AD comics, specifically Judge Dredd or ABC Warriors? I looking for drawing references.

Don't tell the drokking judges I asked however.
>>
File: The Hedgehog in the fog.jpg (200 KB, 919x1280)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>
File: dolly pond.jpg (76 KB, 610x459)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>
File: jucika.jpg (104 KB, 999x428)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>
>>143557896
Jucika was right. It's wrong to waste food.
>>
File: Mr Men.jpg (1.08 MB, 2000x1125)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
She's Plump
He's Bump
We're Late
and Naughty
He's Tickle
She's Trouble
I'm Shy

We're Helpful
Tiny
Neat
I'm Silly
He's Happy[note 1]
She's Little Miss Sunshine

I'm Fussy
I'm Greedy
I've forgotten who I am!
I'm Jelly
It's Magic
I'm Mean

Bossy
Daydream
Scatterbrain
Chatterbox
Splendid Impossible Team

All friends together
the Little Miss and Mister Men
All friends together
round and round we go
back to back and side by side
and on with the show!
>>
File: pat mat.gif (1.72 MB, 640x632)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>143545689
Patmat
>>
>>143550397
That shit was already ancient when the commercials aired.
>>
>>143556748
>You think the younger generation of euro comic artists could learn from these mistakes?
In a way, yes. Like I said, one of our most successful authors is doing a woke webtoon. It's nothing I can recommend, but it's certainly dodging the stodgy, old atmosphere that doesn't know what it wants. If the local market is fucked, you target the international market directly. But this naturally brings a diffusion of culture with it, as these comics simply exist outside of the Franco-Belgian tradition.
>>
>>143518223
>>143521423
There are excellent scans of Storm - The Collection on libgen.li, the big expensive hardcover versions. Search for Storm 2835
>>
>>143557145
It's alright, I wish it were a proper comic instead of really just some illustrations and text. I'm still kind of mad I paid a fortune for the kickstarter to get it in English and the guy running it did such a shit job with the shipping.
>>
>>143557896
The scale is trying to fatten Jucika up in a bad way.
She seems to be eating tasty meatballs, loaded with proteins that go straight to the chest.
>>
Test
>>
>>
https://files.catbox.moe/o81suc.jpg
>>
>>143560055
>>
>>143560055
>>143560201
Gross.
>>
>>143560484
At least you're consistent.
>>
>>143560055
Nice
>>
File: Mahōtsukai Chappy.jpg (18 KB, 640x480)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>143558827
What year did the commercials air?
>>
File: The raggy dolls.jpg (23 KB, 250x207)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DnViGAPOFM
>>
File: Fabulak.jpg (11 KB, 255x198)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Fehérlófia (Son of the White Mare) with english subs:
https://archive.org/details/son-of-the-white-mare-feherlofia-1981-hungarian-film-english-sub-k-vzkl-4-b-9slvf
Az Ember Tragédiája (The Tragedy of Man) with english subs:
https://youtu.be/9eUbpdlwoJY [Open]
Magyar Népmesék (Hungarian Folk Tales)
with english dub:
https://www.youtube.com/@HungarianFolkTales

anyone has: Mikrobi, Hófehér (in english), 4 souls of coyotve, Árgyélus Királyfi, Háry János, Fabulák
??? (last three from the director of checkerabbit)
>>
>>143561128
which ones have nudity?
>>
>>
File: doodletoons.jpg (32 KB, 350x210)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>
>>143561988
What happened to jack?
>>
File: Anachron.jpg (457 KB, 1280x1781)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
Was this series ever translated in english?
>>
a
>>
>>143546095
>>143561128
it's cool that you pasted my posts from the other thread(even with the [Open] at the youtube link), at least somebody cared.
>>143554592
it's just base 64:
https://www.base64decode.org/
>>143561365
all of them actually
>>
File: tola bolek and lolek.jpg (109 KB, 710x540)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>
>>
b
>>
>>143560850
>>143561780
>>143561988
>>143562394
>>143562949
>>143562579
>>143563350
Jesus Christ, fuck off already.
>>
>>143559664
no
https://cookingtheglobe.com/hungarian-plum-dumplings/
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (337 KB, 900x1200)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>143552662
I don't liked that type of comics when i was a teen, in the 80s. But i read Valerian, Tintin, Asterix and Lucky Luke. And many cape comics.
>>
>>143563454
man, do you know nothing about this website
the more you tell someone to fuck off, the more he'll do what you don't want him to do
it's like you're a newfag or something smdh
>>
File: Penny crayon why.gif (505 KB, 350x270)
505 KB
505 KB GIF
>>
>>143563668
Unless he's using reverse psychology because he WANTS him to continue. Oh, clever anon! Clever!
>>
File: jucika thicc.png (152 KB, 936x955)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>
>>143564164
you raise a good point
i have been rused
>>
>>
File: kitten named woof.png (140 KB, 547x305)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>
File: wallace and gromit.jpg (1.6 MB, 2400x3601)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>
>>143564278
why are they called Wallet and Vomit?
>>
File: ezkészpénz13!.webm (3.96 MB, 640x342)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB WEBM
>>
File: ezkészpénz14!.webm (3.93 MB, 640x342)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>>
File: ezkészpénz18!.webm (3.97 MB, 640x342)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB WEBM
>>
>>143564370
Where are these from?
>>
>>143564850
Google is your best friend.
>>
>>143508306
American buy anything as long as it's slop. Look for exemple at the J-horror wave of the end of the 90's/early 2000. For some reason instead of just putting subtitles in ringu, they had to make the ring. Same thing with Ju-on where they had to do a remake with fucking Buffy. Americans needs everything to be in the watered down franchise format.
>>
>>143564850
it's in the filename. was in TV but it's also on youtube now.
https://www.youtube.com/@ezkeszpenz3380
>>143565237
no spywares are not your best friend.
>>
>>143565683
>Americans needs everything to be in the watered down franchise format.
Weird take-away from a correct observation. It's more that Americans need shit to be American. Even Brit shit won't do for them, hence why stuff like The Office got its own American run with the cringe humor toned way down. Last thread there were Americans taking issue with Euro cowboy comics and spaghetti Westerns not being American enough. A huge part of the American audience can't handle anything more exotic than a good British movie. I imagine that figure does fall off steeply once we get out of normie territory and into comic enthusiasts, but it's probably still a force in the market.
>>
>>143566092
>It's more that Americans need shit to be American.

But...how do you explain anime, manga, and most popular Asian games?
>>
>>143566370
Japanese media first gained a foothold in the 80's, and Japan was pretty massive back then. The fact that it's still being "discovered" by Americans 40 years later does indicate certain resilience in the American market. And of course these are the purview of nerds, who tend to be a little more open minded about this sort of thing. Though recently there was that thing where American dubs also reflect American values not present in the source material, so that's something. And I believe anime in the past was heavily edited to do the same. Generally it's more a thing in live action media, probably owing to the larger normie audience.
>>
File: hófehér..webm (3.95 MB, 640x360)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB WEBM
should i just dump the regular webms or wat
>>
>>143566832
Dump it then
>>
File: vaccine--.webm (2.99 MB, 640x360)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>143567349
okay then
>>
>>143557224
Are you looking for any specific styles or content? The majority of 2000AD was black and white until the early 90s, so there's a fair amount. Rebellion have done some artist editions for people like Kevin O'Neil with big size ink only too.

Don't sleep on black and white Slaine either, while we're on the subject, its always had top-notch art from the beginning.
>>
>>143567558
>>
>>143567577
>>
File: segrelles the mercenary.jpg (799 KB, 791x1080)
799 KB
799 KB JPG
>>143500932
>>143530336
Yes
Kino of the highest order
In fact in my country (portugal) the definitive is being reprinted by a "recent" (2021) comics company, been collecting every issue the first chance I get (but they only release 2/3 volumes every year)
Hope they don't shut down before publishing every volume, like it happened with the last company that tried it
>>
>>143501341
Where can you buy them? Or is the high seas the only option?
>>
File: okoslány!.webm (3.93 MB, 470x360)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>>
File: királykisasszony!.webm (3.66 MB, 480x360)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB WEBM
>>
File: pusy....webm (3.53 MB, 480x360)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB WEBM
>>
I read Weapons of Mass Diplomacy, which I thought was pretty good. It's funny how I could tell from the artstyle is was French. The men were kind of goofy with big noses and the women were all super hot.
>>
>>143567533
Thank you
>>
File: kis vuk.webm (1.11 MB, 646x480)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB WEBM
>>143568756
you're welcome
>>
Test
>>
>>143569052
I know
>>
>>143567938
Hot
>>
>>143563558
God those look tempting. I'd fuck up a whole plate too, easily. Jucika did nothing wrong.
>>
File: Moon.jpg (356 KB, 1080x1840)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>143564265
I've been looking for this cartoon for YEARS. I saw a random clip on youtube of him licking the moon and never found it again.
>>
>>143571176
Meatballs
>>
>>143502669
If you dump French comics here I'll translate them, albeit slowly
>>
Bumping
>>
>>143571352
Thank you.
>>
File: amalka galloping.jpg (24 KB, 720x540)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>
>>143501192
.. you haven’t ever heard of or seen for yourself the appeal of classic ducks comics (Barks, Rosa)? There’s a reason they get hardback collections published by Fantagraphics.
>>
>>143510997
Fuck off
>>
>>143519257
Dar Horse had an English lang Dylan Dog compendium out around 15 - 20 years ago.
>>
>>143519257
3 or 4 stories were published by Epicenter Comics in the past 5 or so years. Unfortunately they seem to have abandoned him and shifter to other Bonnelli comics like Zagor, Magic Wind and Tex. And all the print runs are pretty small and shipping out of the US is expensive.
>>
>>143544622
This looks good, thank you
>>
Test
>>
>>143511583
He is the dead who do not die. He is SHAKARA
>>
>>143512811
>But good fucking luck if you want to support any comic from a European country that isn't super fucking huge.
Not even this. The Legendaries are considered a massive series and you'd be lucky to find everything in one easily readable place, even ignoring that only the first 6 issues of the first cycle were ever translated.
>>
>>143514026
The show was my childhood. Really need to do a rewatch.
>>
Test
>>
>>143559776
>>143569795
>>143574276
>>143574965
Testing to see if you’re nothing but a useless retard? You passed!
>>
>>
>>143575451
>>
>>143564348
No
>>
Bump
>>
>>143562578
No
>>
>>143576740
>>143577295
>>143577402
Samefaggot
>>
>>143577447
Shut up
>>
>>143500932
Out of the way plebs, and look at this

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/The-Black-Moon-Chronicles/Issue-1?id=116121#1

Black Moon chronicles with god-tier art and retarded but entertaining dnd-adventure story and loads of franco-belgian smut and gore and humor

Ledroit is a artist blessed by divinity
>>
>>143577797
Make me, you little shit.
>>
File: 1710027182656.png (155 KB, 490x571)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>143577874
Bless you
>>
>>143577898
there are 14 "chapters" total before it ends. then there is some more chapters but its art is sub-par and i think its not just the artist but the writer that left as well so its basically fanfiction and can be ignored, this is the art from the first chapter and the 13th, the artist basically becomes without equal in quality by the end

i would instantly buy them all as hardcopies if i could find them somewhere in english
>>
Fuck jokistans
>>
>>143573684
Well no, I hear about them all the time. I just thought this was a situation where man children were raving about something inconsequential. Its only been the last couple of days I've learned about how impactful the duck comics were.
>>
>>143577874
Now were pulling the fuck up.
>>
File: dragonero_70_cover.jpg (81 KB, 800x1055)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
YPD
>>
>>143577874
Truly the hero we need.
>>
File: Page14-en-1.jpg (266 KB, 1280x905)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>143524954
>>143524417
These are fun. Any more or in English?

Also Greyfriars is cute. Nudity aside it's fairly tame.
>>
>>143577874
>>143578178
note readcomiconline has somewhat reduced/downscaled quality compared to the scans available via annas-archive/libgen - when they're working: 2294x3056 versus 1537x2048
>>
>>143578966
looks good
>>
File: Tpимпy в циpкe.jpg (60 KB, 727x541)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>143580016
Ikr
>>
>>
>>
File: pom pom mesei.jpg (11 KB, 299x168)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>
Why were the soviets so obsessed with Karlsson on the Roof?
And why did it get an animated adaptation from them while Pippi didn’t get an animated one until 1997?
>>
>>143581416
cute tummy
>>
File: Bibi blocksberg.png (648 KB, 776x568)
648 KB
648 KB PNG
>>
File: Sarah and Duck.jpg (108 KB, 691x1024)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>
>Hungarian Folk Tales (Dual audio w subs)
aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZvbGRlci9Tb2t5RlpqTCNXSjZ0dE9vOXEwa1RZU0VpRnlrSVVR
>>
>>143586074
What
>>
>>
File: TPMax17-09-16WEB.jpg (190 KB, 1506x590)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>
File: jucika beach.png (1.15 MB, 1049x495)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>
Hungarian Folk Tales S01E01 The.Salt.Princess bit-starved to fit size limit : >>>/wsg/5545399
>>
File: 1703173160931.jpg--.jpg (297 KB, 1200x1583)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>
File: frakk--.webm (489 KB, 640x480)
489 KB
489 KB WEBM
subtitled where
>>>/wsg/5539349
>>
Any updates for Deaf Crocodile?
>>
File: mach a sebestova sad.jpg (171 KB, 799x613)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>
>>143562630
Hey, a few days later and just wanna say thanks for the help, for some reason I couldn't find the right site. Glad to finally check these cartoons out.

>>143566832
I'd really like for this to get a nice blu ray release, or new restoration or something. Is this taken from a youtube rip?
>>
I really love this one animator
https://youtu.be/83dk5f5b5WM
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: cow on the moon.jpg (41 KB, 1280x720)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>143591669
Huh, I just found out that this studio had a youtube channel not too long ago

I've only scratched the surface but this is my favorite so far. Made in 1959 but looks like it could have been made in 1999. Really reminds me of 90s cartoon network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFqS3mSLdM
>>
File: arawn comic cover.jpg (144 KB, 721x1000)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>143500932
oh nice, i recommended arawn in the prior thread iirc. did anyone end up reading it? what did you guys think?
>>
>>143500932
Question: Why are Britbong comics/comic industry so different from mainland European comics?
>>
File: shakara cover.jpg (124 KB, 718x1000)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>143511583
>The story is technically set in the present day (the first episode briefly shows a contemporary Earth; it is destroyed on the first page, and the last human in the universe, a survivor from the International Space Station, is ignominiously killed on the third), but revolves around a host of bizarre aliens using very advanced technology.
>In the first series little is explained about the lead figure other than it is nearly indestructible, seeking out and destroying other aliens for reasons unknown. In the second series the character is shown to be some kind of liquid being encased in the suit. By the third, it becomes clear that 'Shakara' is an instrument of vengeance created by a now-extinct race of the same name, although the being is beginning to think for itself.
>>
>>143514935
>Way to rugpull me with these threads ,i was better off when capeshit was the only thing i knew
now you'll suffer as i suffered.
>>
>>143520979
>>143520999
>>143521046
>>143521098
>>143521172
>>143521288
kek this is legit good.whre they ever scanlated or we only have anon's nigger rigged caps?
>>
>>143594368
>>143511574
>>143511963
SHAKARA is probably the lamest name i have ever heard for something like a giant robot. Even if Shakira didn't exist to be associated to, repetition in words gives an infantile tone, because babies are the ones who repeat stuff they can already speak, like "googoo gaga mama papa doodoo peepee" etc.
>>
>>143595325
>lamest name
How lame? I don't understand. I think I heard that name before when the tournament rounds about to end.
>>
>>143594308
Unfortunately not quite yet. I really want too, but I have the habit of wanting to read it physically. Though I can't find any good translated books. Might default to reading it digitally.
>>
Ok...next time I make this thread, I'm gonna remove the "cartoon" aspect. These threads mostly end up just talking about comics anyway, and I can't stand that one fuck who keeps spamming screenshots of preschool cartoons.
>>
>>143595938
>and I can't stand that one fuck who keeps spamming screenshots of preschool cartoons.
Neither can I. The quality of this thread took a nosedive once he showed up.
>>
>>143595972
Not only that but I think I mad ethos thread a little too son after the first. I need a good way to spread the threads out, so they have fresh discussions.
>>
>>143596002
>I need a good way to spread the threads out, so they have fresh discussions.

I would suggest doing them maybe every other week then. If not, I’m open to other ideas
>>
>>143501482

she is a absolute bitch tho, just like fairies are
>>
>>143596503
But that ass tho…
>>
>>143596503
Im not denying that she isn't bitch-

>>143596563
But...that ass though.

And then legs? With them stockings?! Listen....if I were fairy, I could fix her.
>>
File: 1713926093434004m.jpg (122 KB, 783x1024)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>143596503
HHHNNnnnnnNNnNNNnnGGGHHH
>>
>>143596419
Yeah, I'll think I'll spread this thread by 2 weeks. It might be alot, but it will make each new thread more fresh.
>>
File: PETIT-OGRE-GODS-v1_p7.jpg (261 KB, 780x999)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
I read the first two volumes of the Petit books. I loved it specially the art. So sad that the author died before it could be finished.
>>
>>143596709
Ooohhh! Really do like that art. Disney animation type vibes. It's a shame he passed on though. Should I start it anyway?
>>
>>143596783
You should still start it, yes. Just to clarify, the artist Bertrand Gatignol is still with us. It is the writer, Hubert, who died by suicide a few years back.
>>
>>143596783
Yes the artstyle is like a gorey disney renaissance.
>>
>>
>>143594021
Thanks for responding
>>
>>143596503
HUMMNA HUMMNA HUMMNA!!!
>>
>>143594321
What?
>>
>>143599265
Gross
>>
>>143594308
I read Volume one. I am low on money right now, but I'll go fetch Volume 2 when things get better for me.
>>
>>143530336
I read it a year ago and it was great. Amazing art, good pulpy storylines. It's too bad it's so obscure in the Anglosphere.
>>
>>143500932
Do you ever wish you live in that kind of European?
>>
File: Kreuzzug 5 057.jpg (1.96 MB, 1920x2796)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>143601401
I'd probably be illiterate and either dead in somebody else's war or a serf and i'm not sure which of those would be worse ,so no
>>
File: 1666108548996.jpg (247 KB, 1089x440)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>
File: 1672792030071.png (1.62 MB, 1337x513)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>
>>143596709
>>143596783
>>143596811
>>143596865
There's a 4th volume, which hasn't been translated as far as I know. But yes, this was a surprise favorite of mine. The writing is very tight, so all the more's the tragedy that Hubert decided to end his life. He was very talented. But such is the way of artists, I suppose. Also, I believe the name of the series is The Ogre Gods (Les Ogres Dieux) and Petit is just the name of the first books.
>>
>>143602050
It was, magnetic press translated them all but 4 was only available digitally in a lower resolution and I never got around to removing the kickstarter watermarks from the pdf, which I don't have anymore.

https://www.mediafire.com/?qfloq04h6k5kct5/
>>
>>143541458
never heard of this. what's it about?
>>
>>143602417
Shapeshifting entity trying to bang some random guy.
>>
>>
>>143578178
The writer remains the same, but it's a different artist. However, the comic changed artists at album #6 as well. The two pages posted here are from different artists, the first LeDroit, and the second Pentat.
>>
>>143603784
I mean Pontet. Fucking French and their French names.
>>
>>
>>
>>143601957
What?
>>
>>143598515
if you are lucky enough, see if you library has a copy of Z for Zagreb by Ron Holloway (I think that's his name), it's a small square book that nonetheless gives a very nice overview of the early run of Zagreb Studios (up to the then-current year of 1971 or something). I have been checking out a lot of animation books from my library system and the book helps me find some shorts that might otherwise slip through the cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2QT8LShJw
>>
Look at the sheer QUALITY of this 49-second cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPMFayqxufM
>>
>>143545689
Source?
>>
>>143606113
Read the filename.
>>
>>143606113
>From the previous anon that posted the reply before:
Me. I have a few accidental recordings from the channel but I don't know in which files there are and I'm too lazy to check dozens of them just for a single Mat & Pat recording with a TV logo on top.
It's not worth it since it's a mute cartoon.
>>
>>143585856
He represented some kind of ticket to freedom. A funny man who lives on the roof of your commieblock, who will take you out of the soviet misery.
Then they presumably just didn't botch it, and communications with Russia were smoother. Fewer cultural hurdles and more people knowing the other langauge. Public service television brought in shedloads of east block cartoons until the USSR dissolved.
>>
File: Requiem 12.jpg (3.98 MB, 4532x2936)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>143594308
I have all the volume, nice dark fantasy setting about family feud.
I love the artstyle.

Today, I just bought Requiem volume 12 at my local library and an artwork of my choice was offered for the volume. It was a tought choice to choose.
Ledroit is still amazing with his drawing, there 2 page in this volume to unfold to see the spread picture.
>>
>>143606841
>I just bought Requiem volume 12 at my local library
wait, volume 12 came out? how many years before the translation
>>
>>143606841
>there 2 page in this volume to unfold to see the spread picture.
can you post it?
>>
>>143511583
a cool character in a cool comic, that's what
>>
File: Requiem 12 spread 1.jpg (3.47 MB, 4585x2353)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>>143606998
Came out a few days ago in France

>>143607038
First spread out of 3, sorry for the quality
>>
File: Requiem 12 spread 2.jpg (2.97 MB, 4603x1713)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>>143607301
Spread 2
>>
>>143607301
thanks
>>
File: Requiem 12 spread 3.jpg (3.56 MB, 4539x2153)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>143607334
>>
>>143607301
>>143607334
>>143607362
That's all I forgot to mention the 3 spread follow each other
>>
>>143607301
>>143607334
>>143607362
This is insane.
>>
>>143607417
thanks so much. can't wait for the translation
>>
>>143606841
btw, librairie/library is one of them there faux-amis. Librairie is a bookshop and a library is a bibliothèque.
>>
>>143607301
>Came out a few days ago in France
Oh great, I look forward to having it translated in several years and for the publisher to cut up those beautiful spread while he's at it. At least I already have it up to 11, so it won't take a literal decade like with some other comics.
>>
>>143607334
Wow
>>
>>143607301
holy shit, never though i will see new issues again.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzYwXe9XDTw
>>
>>143607734
You can actually buy it right now, digital only for now unfortunately. https://millsverse.gumroad.com/

However, at least in the cbz version, the text and bubbles are totally fucked up and pixellated. Not sure if that'll be the case for the pdf too, but I'll see if I can get my money back and buy that instead.
>>
>>143609283
oh nice, it's translated
>>
>>143609283
hopefully someone does a story time of vol 12 here
>>
File: Pásli ovce valasi.jpg (148 KB, 793x615)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>
File: Měsíční pohádka.jpg (94 KB, 717x543)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>
File: 1352927751445.jpg (27 KB, 597x407)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>143601661
>requien is out
never thought i'd se the day
>>
>>143506544
>In France, the market is 80% manga and 20 % BD.
Not sure it's to that point but BD is stagnating in France and it worries me.
Back in the 2000's early 2010's I bought a lot a BD and start new series. But now I struggle to find new interesting series and the one I follow start to age. Meanwhile I keep finding new manga series to start.
For me the main reason are the follow
- prepublishing magazine are dead, and you have nothing to promote new series
- there is nothing for teenager/young adult, the majority is for young kid or the current genration of 30 yo
- It's a personnal feeling but there is way too much BD about historical event (especialy WW2), current societal issue or, more recently, book adaptation. I struggle to find pure original fiction these days.
- I donc like current artstyle, drawing are often simplistic and color are desaturated. That why I enjoy Ledroit's work.
>>
>>143609283
is there actual plot moving?
>>
>>143610616
State funding does that to ya.

French original productions, specially cinema, animation and comics are all subsidized . Most euro countries do this so to stop the USA from subsuming them.

Problem is that this erases competition and the "traditions" of a scene. There's no risk for publishing anymore so standards just get laxer, topics become repetitive. As the 'realization' for that sets in the scene's zeitgeist they also stop caring about foreign markets - which is why practically nobody translates BDs anymore.

This all combined results in your main reasons.

problem is, well, if you do that, it basically results in a BD crash. The scene is trapped.
>>
>>143611169
>if you do get rid of that
>>
>>143610616
>prepublishing magazine are dead, and you have nothing to promote new series
To be fair, manga has nothing like this, either. But manga has the advantage of having anime to recommend it.
>there is nothing for teenager/young adult, the majority is for young kid or the current genration of 30 yo
Yeah, there's a big jump between youth BD's and adult BD's. Honestly, I think there's one BD I've ever read that fits the description of teen-oriented. Another problem is that the industry is old, and relies a lot on classics. So we have a strange paradox with some of the most popular series also being among the oldest, and we're likely already at the point where Asterix and Tintin no longer appeal to the youth.
>It's a personnal feeling but there is way too much BD about historical event
It's been a staple of BD's, and I don't immediately see a problem with it, but I always thought history was interesting. WW2 is also an old people thing.
>current societal issue
Don't see those. But I avoid themes like that like the plague
>I donc like current artstyle, drawing are often simplistic and color are desaturated
I've noticed this, too. BD's used to be synonymous with detailed, lovingly created watercolor art. This has gradually fallen by the wayside, and when I sought out The Death of Stalin after seeing the movie I was surprised at how bad it looks (and it doesn't even look that bad). I wonder if this is driven by some search for renewal going completely the wrong direction.
>>
>>143539656
Foreign cartoons flooded TV stations and were more appealing. Domestic animation studios couldn't keep up and still struggle (Kajko I Kokosz on Netflix looks like a 2005 show).
>>
>>143611469
>I feel like the shift from communism to capitalism has changed alot in their cartoons like they are produced way less.

Pretty much all foreign media ceased being made in large quantities by the time the Soviet Union fell. Before the Ukrainian war, most cartoons watched in Russia were just imported from the US and France. However since Western companies have now left Russia in droves, it makes me wonder if Soviet-tier animation will make a comeback, especially since the country now gets funding from China which is a big threat to America homogeny.
>>
>>143611492
Post-USSR Baseduzmultfilm and smaller studios stopped getting funds, so they couldn't produce bigger animated projects in big numbers like before.

90s/00s had a lot of inexpensive arthouse shit made with only occasional big animated projects like Prince Vladimir being popular and acclaimed enough. The most famous animated studio in Russia right now is Melnitsa Animation Studio and, while they started with a couple of decent films, they've been making capeshit-tier dreck for the last 15 years or so. Most of other animated things produced currently by others are low-effort crap for pre-schoolers or something.

There is not really a functional animation industry in Russia right now and no amount of money (Chinese or otherwise) thrown on it would really change that. You can't really build an industry out of nothing, you need right talented people with respect for the medium making extra effort in producing it. Even if good things are made occasionally, they can't compete with Western/Japanese animation on regular basis and won't be for some time, even if tomorrow everyone in Russia decided to make it into the number 1 animation-producing country.

Add to that "cartoons are for kids" stigma that still exist around animation due to what Baseduzmultfilm was producing during Soviet times and people's (especially older people's) insistence that adult animation is the spawn of devil in itself, limiting creators in what they're allowed to actually show in officially distributed cartoons without triggering a controversy.
>>
File: O panenke Apolienke.jpg (153 KB, 795x563)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>
>>
This is an awful zombie of a thread.
>>
>>143610536
What anime is this?
>>
>>143613843
i don't know man i saved that pic in like 2015
>>
File: Ella, Oscar & Hoo.jpg (199 KB, 720x364)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>
File: MM21.jpg (295 KB, 1240x589)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>
>>143613663
Europe in a nutshell
>>
Has anyone else read SODA? It’s a really Kino crime comic.
>>
>>143500932
i enjoyed Edena, Skydolls, Blast and and english translation of Wika

i don't understand why u.s. publishers choose to suck when they could be doing translations of eurocomics. even if i actually learned french, how the fuck am i going to read vampire chevlier requiem shit? I want my own copy of Sha. what the fuck
>>
>>143611169
>State funding does that to ya.
I think that the fact that some publisher have fused together (like Soleil with Delcourt) is a bigger reason of the problem.

>>143611285
>To be fair, manga has nothing like this, either. But manga has the advantage of having anime to recommend it.
Japan have stuff like shonen jump making so we have scan of series, years before licencing and it's basically free marketing.
In France you have nothing anymore except Fluide Glacial. Spirou magazine (Dupuis edition) is a corpse published every summer and it just rehash of old stuff because there is almost nothing left in that editor except Seuls. Lanfeust Mag was killed 5 years ago.

>>143611285
>Yeah, there's a big jump between youth BD's and adult BD's. Honestly, I think there's one BD I've ever read that fits the description of teen-oriented. Another problem is that the industry is old, and relies a lot on classics. So we have a strange paradox with some of the most popular series also being among the oldest, and we're likely already at the point where Asterix and Tintin no longer appeal to the youth.

There were teen oriented comics but they are old now or are reaching their 20 volume. In result there is a massive market void that manga have filled.

>>143611285
>It's been a staple of BD's, and I don't immediately see a problem with it, but I always thought history was interesting. WW2 is also an old people thing.
The problem is that they don't even bother to do fiction in historical setting it have become too often about an historical figure and way too often during WWII.

An issue I didn't talk about in my previous post is that now the majority of new series are short (3 volume), so you end up with old series reaching their 20 volumes (I'm looking at you Sillage) and new series quickly forgotten because just 3 volumes.
COVID also fucked the publishing a shitload of series were on hiatus and some didn't really recovered.
>>
>>143616696
>Japan have stuff like shonen jump making so we have scan of series, years before licencing and it's basically free marketing.
Sure, but that's not exactly planned and Japs typically hate stuff like that happening. What I mean is, no-one reads magazines except for the Japanese. Euro magazines are dying out because they're simply a dead medium. They were already very niche years ago, when people still read magazines. Donald Duck was always the most popular magazine in my country, and even that I haven't seen in literal years. Magazines of all kinds were annihilated by the internet and smartphones. Eh, maybe I should get a subscription to my country's ailing magazine. Be one of the old people.

>way too often during WWII
This is the boomer disease. Reminds me of one of our literary writers who said "I haven't so much experienced the war as that I am the war". He was, of course, quite popular among the post-war boomer generation. WWII provides a one-stop-shop for many Europeans. Whether you want pure adventure, explorations of the human condition, or naked propaganda, they all fit neatly in the essel of WWII. It's been the same in my country, but in other media. Literature and what remains of our film industry. I've come to avoid the subject, because I'm more than familiar with the typical WWII story in my country, and the typical US variant. I can tolerate it in BD's I guess.

>An issue I didn't talk about in my previous post is that now the majority of new series are short (3 volume), so you end up with old series reaching their 20 volumes (I'm looking at you Sillage) and new series quickly forgotten because just 3 volumes.
I'm not sure I really understand, because BD's are usually pretty slow to make. So it's not that strange for something to take 20 years to hit 20 albums, which is what Sillage is doing. And if that is the problem and production times need to be shorter, we might be talking about measures that would reduce the quality of the work.
>>
File: BTFO.jpg (69 KB, 746x720)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>143613663
>>143615576
lol
>>
>>143617036
>I'm not sure I really understand, because BD's are usually pretty slow to make. So it's not that strange for something to take 20 years to hit 20 albums, which is what Sillage is doing. And if that is the problem and production times need to be shorter, we might be talking about measures that would reduce the quality of the work.

Before a serie would be around 6-8 volume with a release every one or two years.
Now the great majority of series are around three volume or are planned as such and production is now 2-3 (even 4) years for a volume.
COVID have also insanely fucked up the release schedule.
>>
>>143539656
Pannonia was huge from the 60s to 80s and contributed to a lot of international co-productions with the US, Germany, France, the UK and other nations. They were cheap and reliable workforce, and Pannonia also functioned as a major voice acting and dubbing company outside of producing animation. Around the 80s they became a lot more profit oriented and less willing to fund experimental animation. When the Soviet Union crumbled, it took down the state funded studio system, Pannonia hardly made any more movies afterward and eventually went bankrupt around 2015.
Hungary is still making animation, one of their upcoming movies is an old Pannonia project that go shelved in the 70s, and there are a bunch of indie creators, but their animation industry is in shambles. To be fair, so is most of the country.
The Gustav character was also brought back once, in a Serbian stage show from 2019.
>>
>>
>>
>>143613894
Maybe I will try reverse inage searching
>>
File: SPIROU4491.jpg (223 KB, 800x1112)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>143616696
>Spirou magazine (Dupuis edition) is a corpse published every summer and it just rehash of old stuff because there is almost nothing left in that editor except Seuls
Not quite true. They still publish weekly. Pic related is the most recent issue.
>>
>>143618808
Ah my bad, but every time I see in a shop it's just reprinting of decades old stuff
>>
>>143618863
Honestly they should reprint more older stuff
>>
>>143617981
>one of their upcoming movies is an old Pannonia project that go shelved in the 70s
elaborate?
>>
>>143618519
pretty sure it's Fist of the North Star.
>>
>>143619694
Oh ok
>>
>>143601401
No
>>
>>143618808
>>143616696
They don't even have Seuls anymore, that moved to Rue des Sevres.
>>
File: kockásfülű!-.jpg (20 KB, 481x320)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>143560055
not to be ungrateful but her ear checkers are (usually) like this.
like they are more like rhombuses than rectangles or how to explain, lines are not parallel to the ear's sides. this is very important in checkerology.
>>
>>143618808
glad too see it
>>
Do any national tv or networks that show czech cartoons in the morning or evening?
>>
>>143606571
Does sweden show some cartoons outside the ussr like Hungary, Czech, Yugoslavia and etc?
>>
>>143620675
I've seen it done both ways in reference, so this was the one I went with. I wasn't aware that one was meant to be correct over the other. Maybe on the next one.
>>
>>143620675
>>143621819
Also, constructive criticism should never be seen as ungrateful, especially in a derivative work. The way I see it? You're trying to be helpful, and I appreciate that.
>>
File: nyúl.webm (704 KB, 1432x1080)
704 KB
704 KB WEBM
>>143621819
>>143621839
well thank you. yes that's the usual pattern of the ears, it can change when needed though, like when she/he is playing or counting on them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5n2qSv8jIE&t=1m38s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5n2qSv8jIE&t=3m9s
>Also, constructive criticism should never be seen as ungrateful, especially in a derivative work.
yes but also free work, and not even the first of the rabbit from you. in your honor i will try catching up on the IMP episodes i haven't watched yet.
also, wouldn't IMP fit in this thread too? isn't Roger netherlandian?
>>
>>143622135
seems like embedding with timestamp still doesn't work. ohwell
>>
>>143512348
And if you fuck your boss's daughter they tear the ring off your ear to mark you as a daughterfucker
>>
>>143531824
>Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan

Jesus, I hadn't heard that name in decades
>>
>>143622135
>wouldn't IMP fit in this thread too? isn't Roger netherlandian?
Oh yeah, that is true. Feel free to include our goofy little webtoon, if you like.
>>
>>143615755
>even if i actually learned french, how the fuck am i going to read vampire chevlier requiem shit?

Pat Mills is a brit, so presumably the original scripts are in English?
>>
>>143622474
i'm feeling free then
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9F1D11B1037E7D05
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6C1C10FB2666D89
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD707757D2EC206B9
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3ED0EFA56BD67DA
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6RSSfTzNAxyFokILLum4NElVSfqDicpW
would have posted from NG if he actually uploaded all the episodes there. also just noticed it has a fandom page.
>>
File: IMP_logo.png (93 KB, 552x452)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>143622906
forgot to post image, because only things with image get attention. but at least i can post the other links.
https://www.newgrounds.com/series/imp
https://imp.fandom.com
also you guys should sue Helluva Boss, heard it stole your acronym.
>>
>>143622974
Ehh, we'd probably lose that suit. I don't think you can copyright an acronym, and some could argue that they have more characters on their team that are actually imps.
>>
File: kata a skubanek.png (371 KB, 637x467)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>
>>
File: Ongezellig Maya.jpg (8 KB, 320x180)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>143623329
Have sex with her
>>
>>143622135
Still glad the local tv still plays Hungarian animation.
>>
>>143615755
You dunce can literally buy Requiem Vampire Knight in English from millsverse.gumroad.com
>>

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.