[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm seriously fucking considering the shipping container pill.
I have property with a shit house made in the 40s some meth addict previous owners ruined and it needs a shitload of maintenance that pretty much means I have to empty it out to replace the roof and redo literally 1/3 of all exterior walls.

I'm so fucking demotivated of it that I'm just looking into alternate structures I can throw up and live in for the time being and do the construction over the next 6 months.
Shipping container seems like the logical solution for a spartan life at least.

My concern is management of condensation, I'm at a high elevation so it goes below dew point every night for 9 months of the year so how do I manage this so that water does not condense in the walls against the cold surface of the steel?
Can I literally just hose the walls down with insulation foam like picrel? or will it just promote rust jacking and trap water between the foam and the wall spreading as it pushes the foam away is my bet.
What is the best solution? urethane based coating and then foam? some kinda polymer paint?
Or do I just embrace the condensation and simply coat the steel, then provide drainage at the base and separate my insulation and walls from it with a sealed vapour barrier ?
>>
>>2776836
After watching this video, I certainly wouldn't do it

https://youtu.be/i7yEDz6bCfU?si=WQVnvU7C4WodL21h

The entire channel is pretty good too. Also google "Kristina Smallhorn", she's got a lot of good RE videos about affordable living
>>
>>2776840
ok first, I'm not looking to build some stupid meme house out of multiple boxes so I doubt most of that applies.
It's literally this or a rv/trailer. I think the container is more useful and customizable and if done correctly, it will greatly outlast any rv/trailer home
>>
>>2776842
>I think the container is more useful and customizable and if done correctly, it will greatly outlast any rv/trailer home
It's going to cost you more, and it sounds like you don't need it to last anyways. Are you intending to rehab your home and then just live in the shipping container anyways?
>>
>>2776866
I plan to build it half a mile from the house in a different area of the property where I store equipment and after fixing the house, it will stay as a livable space/office.
>>
>>2776836
Get a used mobile home/rv. It's already finished and furnished too
>>
>>2776896
I second this. I see them all the time wo title. You can get a temp tag, and move it to it's final resting place.

I would NOT do a shipping container. You'll spend so much damn time on that thing, and you're right, you'll be upside down in it. There's a special spray used to break down the meth chemicals that cleaners use. You might want to look into that. If that's the major reason you can't use the house right away.
>>
>>2776836
Don't do the stupid thing you want to do just because your heart is set on it. It's a stupid thing to do. Putting the same or a bit more money into something better will serve you better both during and after the project. Even a mini/tinyhouse or airsoft fatty shed would be better.
>>
>>2776836
Ignore everyone who does not fucking own a working container structure.
Learn by studying why industry and the military use containers.

I have four 40' High Cubes, two welded together as a shop. It would be easy to live in one with half of it as a shop and have more and more comfy space than I had on multiple comfy USAF deployments. I protect my machine tools and classic motorcycles with inexpensive dehumidifiers and the key avantage of containers for this is they seal decently. I've had my oldest since ~2006. I vent the dehumidifier drain hose out the side.

Container advantages for shop use include all walls being load bearing and the interior tiedown loops ability to support thousands of lbs on hanging shelves (which I fabbed to be slightly above my 6'2" noggin so I can walk beneath them). Containers are difficult to ignite from the outside (have a generous firebreak anyway so they don't cook and outgas) and typhoon rated to take waves in maritime use.

Tiny house faggots annoy me. A High Cube is a very rugged single wide that's an ideal shop with minimal work. The people who just stack shit inside them are much less happy than self and bro (I helped build my bros single HC container shop which is insulated on the inside with bubble insulation and furring strips, with climate control by a mini-split he installed) who do it methodically.

People who want white picket fenced conventional space should not even fucking bother. People whose use case is more like Andrew Camaratta will have large fun. Containers need no formal foundation but do need to be elevated about a foot minimum to prevent humidity entering from the soil. Railroad ties work fine on most terrain, and for soft terrain like part of my yard railroad gravel drains delightfully and of course doesn't crush.
>>
>>2776836
I would absolutely deploy a container in your case as shop space because everyone needs a shop and they offer instantly usable space. Have your ties ready and when your 40' High Cube is delivered (Do NOT fuck with standard height boxes or 20-foot tiny standard heigh boxes, you will see why) the travelling axle trailer driver can place the outboard end on the first, drive forward, then you can slide the second tie beneath (I leave mine on pipe rollers and pull it with a rope or cable attached to a bar etc stuck into an old railroad spike hole) and he then lowers the truckside end.

Have power available. I had an outdoor power pole with an outdoor service panel and 240 and 120v outdoor outlets for instant power. Interior subpanels can wait.

High elevations tend to be drier than the wet Southeast I live in so I'd have no worries on that score. I store my welders inside of course and ground to the shell so I can run just the hot lead when I want to weld to the box.

I torch-bent round bar hooks to grab the ceiling tiedown loops and welded those to my shelves. If you get that far post and I'll explain.

I jacked and shimmed my containers by hand and even manually winched one beneath my low power lines. I love working with them. Best results are from getting a "one trip" grade container NOT "WWT" (Wind and Water Tight) which is meaningless term for containers removed from maritime service because the end door gaskets are fucked.

I installed steel man doors in two of mine, one on a blank end, another on an end door. That's much more convenient than opening end doors.

My humidity with no insulation is so little my machine tools don't flash rust nor does my classic (Norton, Harley, Triumph etc) motorcycle collection. You can insulate easily but i would copy my bubble insulationbro if I bother.
>>
File: jackattachment.jpg (266 KB, 1600x1600)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>2776836
These cheap attachments cost less than the (retail) steel to fab them. I didn't use one but I've a variety of Simplex house jacks and an 18-wheeler air bag I made into a jack (they're affordable online these days). You want at least one for leveling the corners.

Thin coatings are insufficient for insulation. You could certainly foam one but have a way to vent it during cure and do not block the little side vents. The Sea Box website has many useful ideas worth a look.

You can also use containers as sidewalls for Steelmaster style steel buildings which is common.

To sleep in a container shop I would hang my hammock (I've several and find them easy on my trashed back) between ceiling tiedown loops and if I wanted a bed would hang that as I hang my shelves with nothing touching the floor for easy storage and cleanup.
>>
>>2776836
Um in about the same boat.
>Meth head fucked up the house.
>high water table and creek in back yard
>tons of moisture pushing through foundation and slab
Can't stop the mold.
Highly considering a cargo container and just keeping it well vented and air conditioned.
>>
>>2777317
A mini-split works for my bro in the heat of SC summers. His container is colder than his house for very low useage because he internally insulated with bubbled film. (Foam slabs and thin composite panels are other options.) I'll eventually fit a mini-split as he did.
>>
>>2776836
This young couple have a series of videos of them turning a shipping container into a workshop. You probably want to mostly watch their older container videos about the basic as the later ones are typically about cosmetic stuff on the exterior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOKBrU7xcjM&t=116
>>
>>2776836
Why not just buy a large toolshed? Then when(if ever) the real house is finished, you'll have a useful structure instead of a giant metal piece of shit
>>
>>2776836
why not an RV or enclosed trailer? I had a 24' enclosed trailer and it even had a screen door. after using it as a trailer it became a closet/barn/garage. I could have easily added a fantastic fan and house batteries if I wanted to live in it as well. they're also fairly secure, but the best part is when the nightmare is over you have a trailer you can use or sell. old RVs are a diamond dozen, but more difficult to get one that isn't homeless grade. the advantage is built in amenities and again you can have it towed away when you're done.

moisture is mostly a concern when heating with propane, it's a fucking nightmare (t. propane in an aluminum truck cap = literal inside rain in the middle of a cold night) because it creates water vapor. an RV heater separates the propane burning (outside) and heated air (inside) which eliminates this problem.
>>
I gotta set up a place for my kid to live on the farm soon. Thinking about building a shop with a sectioned off area for living quarters until we find the time to get a nice modular put in. Then he already has a full shop/mancave as soon as the house is done.
>>
File: 58.30_SL1.jpg (20 KB, 299x384)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
dont be dumb fix the house
you get equity in the house
it will go up in value if you fix it by like 100k
especially with anew roof
you can do it yourself plywood and shingles
>>
>>2778706
It is my parents house and they have already said thy will be giving it to the oldest son so I have little motivation to put my money in it. There is the other house that is theirs and I will eventually inherit but they are using it.
I want to just build my own house because the rest of my family have very little finances to do the repairs.
I am willing to put in the work and help with the repair, just not financially, so it will be a slow process. I would much rather build away from everyone else where what's mine is mine, the property is huge so I can easily do this.
>>
File: DIYCaptcha.png (765 KB, 561x901)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
>>2776836
>>
>>2776896
>>2776910
>>2776921
>>2777740
>>2777806
>/diy/ - Buying Things
>>
File: b06.jpg (47 KB, 612x612)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2776836
uhhhhhhh... just put vents in the ceiling... like every other situation...
>>
hmm so they make container descants that help, but without large areas of pourus material like in most rvs it is not as effective. I think the top of the line are trimolecular sieves, but a few boxes of baking soda in direct sunlight will piss water during the day and soak it up at night.
pin it, sew a pocket, increase contact patch with the box to a large fabric surface capillary action will average out the moisture and you should assume distance from fabric increases moisture. fabric not wood; wood is slow like days natural fabrics is hours, Similar to how modern couches work today.
heating the air and moving it out will also help with moisture, similar to church bell towers and winery vent towers.
as for the meth house i think oxidization is your best weapon, it is passive continual and the better you seal your home the easier it is to direct. Move air around, ozone will rapidly oxidize most organics but is expensive to create while air is cheap.
>>
>>2776836
No ones going to tell you that shipping containers suck for maintenance, steel draws condensation so understand if your in an environment that gets lots of temperature swings or humidity all your doing Is hiding the problem behind the internal walls .
No matter what you believe, steel draws water even in the driest environment.
Moisture = bacteria
Wood structures absorb and release = breathing structures, that's why you don't use plastic to cover a home , alway a breathable membrane
Tyvek .
Sure sound nice but limited to 8 feet wide
Set up the same thing 8× ? Where your at
Live it for a year then decide.
Just saying , plus cutting into and expanding a container isn't strait forward.
Foam is flammable and even if you did just cut a hole for windows and doors ,zip screws don't hold for structure reinforcement . Needs to be welds
Not a problem if your set on it but a home is something you can always improve on . Make it easy and just build out of lumber then if you wanted add the container to that structure.
>>
>>2778932
there is absolutely no need to weld, bolts work just fine. if you think its not enough, add more bolts.
you can vent a container just fine easily of you have enough airflow. if you live in a swamp just put in a cheap AC... this isnt a new problem people have been working this out for decades
>>
>>2778932
Well I see three options that work for me.
1. A 100% sealed plastic barrier between all walls and the steel, and add tons of drain holes so the water can condense on the steel and drip down and leave through the drain. The walls will be designed in a way where they vent at the bottom and a drop ceiling will be usd so the walls can be open at the top and an attic vent will do the rest.
2. Sacrifice 6in and set the walls in a bit. Add exterior wood between the studs and the steel, leaving a 2in gap, then build from there, house within a house so to speak. Then simply maintain proper venting so the air against the steel is the same temperature inside as outside.
3. Use copious amounts of reinforcing steel mesh and fill in all the waves of the container with concrete on the inside, then an additional 1-2in of concrete all around inside as the walls, the walls are now concrete and no further insulation or building required, except for the ceiling, use plastic to form troughs where condensate will fall into and be drained outside, use drop ceiling and insulation as normal below that.
This gives the most interior space but requires more energy to keep cool in the summer, I don't care about being cold in the winter, I embrace the cold

Just dunno, I think the plastic seal is cheapest/least labor intensive
>>
>>2778940
>just put in a cheap AC
The summers can reach temperatures of 45°c and I only have solar at my disposal so I either need to buy a ton of battery, or make the thing hold temperature in the evening after the sun sets.
Winter gets as low as -8°c but I will just use a diesel heater for that.
>>
>>2778978
If your only on solar than why waste the energy on fans and a/c units for circulation, if putting studs and external walls and barriers then save the money and upgrade the studs to a 2x6 or 8s . Boom there the wall be, your putting siding on it anyway .I get you still need a roof but trusses and tin would still be a budget after not spending money on putting on redundant walls .
This conversation could go on for ever , anyone that builds always develops a different plan of action on the building, makes miner changes as it comes together. That is unless it's the 10th one and plans are on paper .
Pricing goes up ,goes down
And time only you know .
I am not dead set against the container house but I do have a strong background in building houses and living off grid .
One thing that stands true is ,anything with an air barrier needs constant air movement and you can't reproduce that without energy. Off grid solar or wind is not cheap by any means ,if you had a creek near by and could drop a water genset in to make up for that .that would be a different story ,but agin you will most likely always have a fan buzzing and learning the last 20 years of off grid myself I found that even the simple little things are what bit me in the ass .
Even rv's are designed to breathe
I wish you luck on all your endeavors
Don't sweat the petty things pet the sweaty thing .
>>
>>2778916
> hur durr durr buying things
not my problem your parents fucked.
>>
You can rent a shipping container for secure storage, then a caravan to live.

Were you to buy shit, you may be unable to resell it.
>>
>>2778978
the fuck. you live in afghanistan? personally id cut my losses and move to a temperate zone. either that or do as the afghanis do
>>
Set on top of rigid foam board insulation
ground, spray foam the exterior with a few inches of insulation, then double layer staggered chicken wire and thinshell shotcrete on top of that. Build a roof frame over it like a pole barn and install a metal roof. Minisplit and one of those super small wood stoves will have you cramped but comfortable. Cuckshed would be easier and cheaper, but the draw of shipping containers is hard to resist and could arguably have longer lifespan if built right. Such a small roof span would allow single slope to maximize solar array input. Condensation is a bitch but tamped earth floor and earth plaster walls would absorb and release moisture way better than bare metal and doesn't have to be that thick to provide benefits.
>>
File: container-1.jpg (295 KB, 2080x1040)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>2776836
>yo here's your container room bro
>>
File: container-2.jpg (236 KB, 2080x1040)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>2779170
>>
File: container-3.jpg (359 KB, 2080x1040)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>2779171
I do actually currently live in this btw.
The container was on the property when we arrived - window leaked badly and it still leaks where the container doors are a little bit if it pours.
I added an internal frame, insulation and some cheap board for the walls. Also, I ended up doing the decking (previously it only had that roof structure - which is hardly slanted so water runs off).
Absolutely fucking cooks in the summer.
Thing is, if you're going to have to do an internal frame anyway, I don't know if a container really pays off.
You could probably just build a frame, add your own cladding and sheet roofing for cheaper.
>>
>>2778978
AC is easily runnable off of solar if you can stop the heat getting in.
Generally, you only use AC when it's sunny anyway so you can basically skirt using the batteries most of the time.
>>
File: 1680309478571896.png (265 KB, 525x234)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>2779170
nice
>>
>>2779189
based
>>
>>2779189
Imagine if it breaks into pieces in your ass
>>
>>2779017
>, if putting studs and external walls and barriers then save the money and upgrade the studs to a 2x6 or 8s . Boom there the wall be, your putting siding on it anyway .I get you still need a roof but trusses and tin would still be a budget after not spending money on putting on redundant walls .
If you mean inside the container I can't because I need at minimum 75in width.
If you mean just skip the container and build a house, idk, the problem is that my country requires permits and it is a significant cost. The cost of the permits and inspections and the jobs they require be done by licensed people, basically the bare minimum overhead cost, is more expensive than the actual building of the house or container or anything.
It's a scam basically so you give the government a bunch of money and then you have to pay a lot more property tax too
>>
>>2779170
Yeah that's the idea only a high cube and 40ft length, 22ft of it living space, 6ft bathroom, 14ft of it services and motorcycle parking
>>
>>2779359
>22ft of it living space, 6ft bathroom, 14ft
this is the retarded part
>>
File: cuntanal home.jpg (32 KB, 411x482)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
I've drawn something up a while ago for 2 20ft containers. Idk if anyone cares, but it seemed ok.
>>
>>2779390
How so
>>
>>2779395
I've done cad of the layout I plan to use and I like have a container shop already so I understand the size I'm getting, but idk if it is going to work considering the condensation issues I discovered
I may have to redesign or go with the concrete walls idk
At least concrete will be sound resistant.

Also one thing I should have mentioned, I won't have any windows, every windows will be artificial
Why you ask? If windows do not exist, no one can look in. I will be alone and this pleases my autism
>>
File: container house.png (901 KB, 794x611)
901 KB
901 KB PNG
I've thought about doing the container meme because I'm a welder by trade and know a sparky and plumber that could give me mates rates. The problems I've run in to in my research are;
>occupancy permit doesn't care if you live in a meme house, still needs to be up to code, which is difficult with the size and materials constraints
>^depending on area, no occupancy permit means no power hook up as is case in my area
>steel sweats, causing mold issues
>^apparently this can largely be mitigated by insulating outside and cladding, leaving container steel for the interior
>steel conducts heat/cold like a motherfucker. If you live in a place with seriously hot summers or cold ass winters this will be a huge problem
>cutting the sides for windows/doors/etc severely weakens the structure, even when reinforcing with square stock
>only the corners are structurally load bearing, giving you only 8 valid anchor points for extensions/decks/etc
>containers are used to transport toxic/carcinogenic materials all the time, and can leach in to the plywood floor or even the steel itself, off gassing in to your living space forever
>can be mitigated by using 1-trip containers for a serious upcharge
So, yeah. The pro is that you get a largely weatherproof box delivered to your doorstep right now. The cons are literally everything else. I'd consider a container for a workshop or tool/vehicle storage, but they don't make good living spaces.
I'm gonna be putting some sort of temp housing on my wooded lot while I build, and honestly... It's probably just gonna be a camper trailer. Less effort, less money, and nicer result.
>>
File: file.png (729 KB, 526x682)
729 KB
729 KB PNG
>>
>>2779719
reality honestly looks better
>>
just buy a module house
>>
>>2777740
Containers shit all over conventional sheds. This is not speculation. I use mine daily and they make superb shop space. Silly people just put stuff inside them like a conventional room which is wasting the options the wall and ceiling design offer to hang storage, hang flexible plumbing (there is no reason to use conventional pipe to plumb air lines when industrial grade rubber hose does everything better), and in general copy industrial users.

>>2778932
>No ones going to tell you that shipping containers suck for maintenance

Mine don't. Smol dehumidifiers and the container shell result in less humidity not more. How many containers have YOU personally outfitted and using what methods to what end?

>>2778978
The armed forces and oil patch crews use containers all the time. Study them. /diy/ has too many people who don't own containers pontificating about them without personal experience.

>>2779140
Container are easily sold and relocated. Customer hires Landoll, driver backs up to container, winches it aboard then toddles off. Travelling axle trailers are the US standard for container deliveries as they don't require a crane and are lower than "bridge height". I did have to stand on one of mine to use a (wooden) broom to raise my power cables when placing one box behind my house but that was no big deal. Containers can easily be winched by hand if placed on suitable rollers or logs because I and many others have done it. I'm an old cripple who works alone and containers make life easy and convenient.

>>2779172
Do like my bro with bubble insulation and furring strips. His machine shop is bone dry and fucking cold even in SC summers.
>>
>>2779357
Visit industrial and military container sites. Not joking. Everything industrial and military is what amateurs should aspire to and all problems have previously been solved.

Can you use more than one container at your location? If so you can place two atop a steel beam on each end (to get height and ventilation beneath) and weld or bolt them together quite easily. You can weld them to the end beams as I did or fab or buy fittings to bolt them down inexpensively.

For example if doing two 40' High Cubes (do not use standard height containers and for housing only buy "one trip" grade containers) you can join the roofs thusly: Buy four twenty-foot sections of angle. Clamp pairs together forming an inverted T. Drill and bolt each pair together. Stainless hardware is cheap online so use that. Apply anti-seize to the threads even if you never expect to take the joint apart. Before bolting coat the joint with marine waterproof sealant.

Then place the angle atop the space between the hulls of the containers (the ends will touch at the corner fittings) and stitch weld them to the container corners then finish weld. I used FCAW wire in a suitcase feeder but whatever makes a sound weld will do.

tincancabin guy overpaid but he's well off and liked the little 20-footers (piss on that) for some reason. His structure however is very nicely done.

>>2779390
More than I had over years of deployment but you aren't restricted to one HC so I have four. My HC with doors on both ends makes an outstanding classic bike garage because they're so easy to climate control. My dehumidifier electricity bill is a trifle compared to my welders, compressors and other equipment.
>>
>>2779395
20s tend to be overpriced for their size and the height is annoyingly short even if you're short. I suggest getting a single 40' HC for much more usable space and room for overhead storage.

>>2779667
Condensation is easy to deal with. Vent dehumidifier through sidewall or floor (container should be at least a foot off the ground anyway. Do NOT place containers on grade) and done.

I avoid windows as they waste wall space. Man doors however are a very good idea and easy to install. I used industrial steel doors placed on saw horses then used four pipe welding stands to level the frame sections to the door and used shims to establish door clearance.
>>
File: 02404029_Facebook.jpg (579 KB, 1080x1300)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
>>
File: 20240403_163425.jpg (2.41 MB, 3302x2476)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>2781311
>>2781316
>>2781321
conex anon speaks many truths. best thing about conexes is you can weld shit to them wherever and use them a base frame for whatever you can dream up
>>
File: shastle.jpg (316 KB, 812x1717)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>2779395
I designed some castles out of them in the sims, sadly mostly on my older computers. only one i found on this comp is very much unfinished/unfurnished.
>>
>>2781339
Nice roofover!

>>2781323
Based if already permitted. That one is made from a (condemned for maritime use) "WWT" (Wind and Water Tight, a bullshit used container sales term which means neither!) intermodal container as is visible along the side that looks like my scrotum except much cleaner.

It's most likely a single end door style so the man door normally goes on or in this case towards the blank end. The end doors are convenient places to mount a man door but that's best done in the left side end door because the right side holds it closed when the two vertical bars are removed to mount the man door. To hold the left end door fully seated I used a steel round bar pin into the container floor.
>>
Some folks bought an undesirable 155 acre property near me to turn into a private hunting grounds. They built a sort of hunting cabin with two containers and pre-engineered roof trusses like this, but they also made basic frames to screen cover the middle zone and make a nice sitting around area.
>>
>>2778916
Materials and tools will obviously cost money. DiY is a train ticket to 'free everything'.
>>
>>2778916
You'll be buying what you mod too so does your autspergtism have a point? /diy/ is just another method not a religion or secular obligation.

I'm towards the hardcore end of the /diy/ community for coldly pragmatic reasons of getting what I want. People who really DO do it ourselves don't make noises like you do. DIY is a money-effectiveness multiplier.

>>2778931
TardGPT isn't going well.

>>2778976
>Well I see three options that work for me.

I suggest studying much more and not just here.
One way to narrow your choices is wait and test to see what you actually need instead of what you imagine you need. Expecting a flood of condensation is a bit much (keep the box at least a foot above grade) and dehumidifiers work very well if needed. Remember all container problems have been solved for many years and there is nothing new to invent.

Check out various interior insulation kits (which someone who doesn't mind cutting their own could replicate easily). My bro did basically this in his machine shop for less money:

https://tpsolutions.eu/product/insulated-shipping-container-liners/

Surplus composite panels from commercial walk-in chillers often go cheap and of course insulate more than sufficient for comfort. Fecesbook Marketplace is a good place to look. Google "surplus cooler panels" for pics.
>>
>>2776836
Buy a prefab shed. Ffs.
>>
>>2781845
Why do you imagine sheds to be better and in what ways for what purposes? How many containers have you personally outfitted properly?

Noobs for example don't know how much stronger intermodal container shells are nor consider embers just bounce off (though a reasonable firebreak is still needful because heated paint can outgas).

Container threads turn into strawman (strawintermodal?) threads because they contain far to few people who build things and fewer still who study in the proper (exhaustive) manner before choosing a particular option.

If containers were not highly useful for rapidly deployed instantly usable versatile space highly suited to DIY by mechanics and metal workers I would not own them. They make immediately usable shop space and living in a shop is easy (and easier than hundreds of thousands have done on deployments for comparison).

Seek what people who have already solve problems do. Don't try to invent from ignorance, a common problem not just on 4chan. Overthinking is bad. Drill to the needful. Every day real men with immensely thicc manly genitals effectively use and mod containers, some in highly successful businesses selling to repeat military and oil patch etc customers. Their way is the way so copy their way.

It's easy or I would not do it because I'm lazy.
>>
Ill be setting one on my land in 2 weeks
Need to find right paint for it. Its in the woods want it to blend
>>
>>2776836
>I'm seriously fucking considering the shipping container pill.
lol yeah buddy go for it
>>
>>2781867
My wife camo'ed the street sides of mine (we're vets and knew it would work behind my shrubs and trees). Hit the top with white when you next coat it.

Camo patterns matter so pick one and do a decent job. Brush painting is the way because thiccness is good.

Ensure you have good ventilation below it. Higher is better since it's going in woods and you won't want the bottom blocked by foliage that's not easy to clear. I weld upward-facing hunks of channel to mine so I can place a ladder rung there and be at no risk of falling sideways.
>>
>africans who live in stone-age mud huts have 12 kids and pay no taxes
>OP in is "first world country" agonizes over this shit

lol
lmao
legality is the ONLY thing standing in your way and you know it
all other opinions are Stockholm Syndrome cope
>>
>>2776836
Its better to go post frame building. You don't have to deal with the issues of shipping containers like insulation and condensation issues. Plus the structure issues if you start cutting holes for expansion.
>>
>>2781969
Pole barn guy quoted me $65,000 for a post frame kit, self build. It's like 32×60' so it's not exactly tiny. But at the same time you can get two shipping containers and bolt a 40×40 quonset over them for about half that price and gain 10% more square footage if you are counting the containers.
Still kind of want the pole barn because it looks normaler, but if it only goes down to $60k after changes I'm going full cletus with the shipping containers and quonset. With a budget of ~$85k it's better to have a comfy interior than pretty exterior. Dress up the outside over time as more money comes in.
>>
>>2782418
pole barns aren't rocket appliances. have the holes augered and by the treated poles from a wholesale dealer. call the truss place with the width and they'll sell you pre engineered trusses from their catalog. rent a telehandler and put it up. i'd pay to have the tin put on because the guys are good and it's easy to make look bad. but if you don't care, just buy the tin direct from a roller and go to town. total will be 60% of that quote or less
>>
>>2782420
I suspected that could be the case, but the emotional language and sales pressure was getting to me over the phone. They got postdocs in quantum engineering and supercomputer software us little people aren't allowed to use and shit, so they strongly discourage diy anything except for the construction part. 60% off is huge and has me wanting to go full Bubba on the engineering again.
10' spacing of 2×6 3 ply laminated treated posts, doubled up trusses, 2×6 bookshelf girts 24" spacing, 2×6 purlins 24" spacing, 2×12 skirting at bottom. That's the gist of it, right? Might not survive Armageddon, but realistically I just need it to last another 40 years until I die.
>>
>>2781915
Legality is a major issue though. Only reason I haven't tried turning a container in to a living space is that it's night impossible to get a occupancy permit for one here, and power company will only hook up to residential addresses if they have a permit.
>but muh solar
Expensive, and regardless, once some Karen sees an illegal structure and whines about it I'll have government fucks all over my shit.

They're useful for storage, I keep my bikes and tools in one. But making a living space out of them isn't as easy as people larp it to be.
>>
>>2782418
Damn I paid 50k for a 40x60 with 16' walls full concrete, one man door, one 14x14 garage door, 3 windows, and insulation built by a crew. All I had to do was the dirt work before they got here. But that was before all the covid/Joe Biden bullshit.
>>
File: 20240405_201206.jpg (2 MB, 2476x3302)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>2782425
yah that's all the key features. plywood/osb is obscene, but a sheeted roof is sure nicer to deal with vs just purlins. basically you can cheat/improvise anywhere on a pole barn and come out ok. don't be afraid to go bigger on structural features. 3x6 purlin blocking instead of 2x6 is a worthy upgrade in my opinion. 2x always wants to split and crack after you put 6 nails in it
>>
>>2782432
Dam, inflation is getting out of control if they built for you too and it's still that price. My quote assumes I already have a rubble trench foundation and tamped earth floor. Sounds like you got a mighty fine building there.
>>2782437
I really appreciate the input. I started designing it but after hitting enough question marks I thought I'd reach out to a kit company just to see. I was expecting a little above what Menards charges but the sticker shock was higher than expected. Diy would allow overengineering like cladding under the metal so it should be similar enough to the poindextered stuff with the alien tech.
>>
>>2782439
do you have amish or mennonite barn builders in your area? check with them for a quote. a lot get really good pricing on materials from their cousins and can put up a building for not much more than a kit from a company
>>
>>2781311
>The armed forces and oil patch crews
In a location that doesn't get cold enough to condensate
>>2781321
Dehumidifiers use a ton of power and I don't want the structure to rely on power to last longer than 5 years and not grow mold
>>2781765
>test to see what you actually need instead of what you imagine you need. Expecting a flood of condensation is a bit much
I am expecting a flood yes.
My house has shitass skylights that were installed by retards. The skylight is just a thin steel box with a dome on the top poking out of the roof so if you imagine on one side of the steel is the outside and the other side is the inside.
All winter long all it does is condensate and drip water on all my shit. And that's just a small skylight, I can't imagine what an entire 40ft x 8ft rectangle will do. It is probably capible of a liter an hour if I run something like a kerosene heater which shits out moisture
>>2781915
I'm not afraid of legality, I'm afraid of spending over 30k on something that isn't guaranteed to last at least 5 maybe 6 years
If I'm just going to throw away money on something, I've got better options
>>
>>2776836
>the shipping container pill.
More like a meme. It's not 2008 anymore. Shipping containers aren't cheap. And they were never good.
>>
>>2776836

Yep. Sprayfoam and then drywall or ply over it. It will work
>>
>>2781969
How many containers have YOU modified. YOU not anyone else, not shit you read, not shit you imagined. If none, fuck off.

Post frame structures are weak and don't seal decently. That's why I used containers for my valuable classic motorcycle collection and machine tools which in consequence has zero dust and zero dirt daubers and LESS humidity than ambient thanks to small dehumidifiers.

>>2782418
Steelmaster plus container sidewalls is hard to beat and easy to construct.

>>2782430
They're not for heavily regulated urban areas. Some get alternate structures including pole barns permitted as shop space and have power poles placed before construction. In that case do what everyone else does and if you can't afford to, live somewhere else or rent for eternity. I planned my life for maximum choice but most people are not that determined.
>>
>>2782443
>In a location that doesn't get cold enough to condensate

My location certainly does and cold is not required for humidity and condensation.

>Dehumidifiers use a ton of power
Mine don't.

>I'm not afraid of legality, I'm afraid of spending over 30k on something that isn't guaranteed to last at least 5 maybe 6 years

That makes sense. When you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Take out a mortgage and have whatever structure is conventional in your location erected. DIY is not for you. It is not for most people so no shame in that game. Not to be realistic about your limits would be much worse.

/diy/ should ban all container threads since only three or four people here will ever know how to use them and the rest who don't insist they're wiser than the many thousands who own and use them in real life.
>>
>>2782437
Nice grinder!
>>
>>2778916
you still have to buy the shipping container dumb faggot.
>>
File: big grindy.jpg (2.99 MB, 3225x2419)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>2782579
that was an 18" hisey wolf i got to fill the void in my life while i was waiting to take possession of this 36" gardner denver. pedestal grinders are my dick swinging competition of choice
>>
>>2781912
What kind of paint…no camo just olive drab
>>
>>2782664
Holy fuck what are you grinding D9 cats?
>>
File: 20240406_112327.jpg (2.66 MB, 2419x3225)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>2782669
>what are you grinding
my ego mostly
>>
File: 1672002343038.gif (3.01 MB, 497x302)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB GIF
>>2782672
>banana for scale
>>
>>2781662
I helped build one something like this for my friend. He uses it the middle part as a garage and the containers are storage. I might build something like this myself also one day, but at the moment I'm slightly financially limited.
The structure cost about 10000 €, including everything. The back side is closed with corrugated sheet and front with heavy duty tarp so you can open it.

I also started building a house for myself and my family from 8 HC pallet wide 20 foot containers but it burned down before it was finished. That was a bummer.
>>
>>2782664
>>2782672
That is an impressive chunk of grinder! How many hp?
>>
>>2782996
15hp 720 rpm
>>
>>2783179
3 phase? Do the lights flicker in town when it starts?
>>
>>2782664
I now need one of those for sharpening 1/16" TIG tungstens. (I have a morbid fear of wearing out grindstones.)

That beast is pure sex.
>>
>>2783181
15HP isn't a huge draw and for those without single phase a rotary phase converter can provide.

https://www.elliottelectric.com/StaticPages/ElectricalReferences/ElectricalTables/FullLoad_Current.aspx
>>
>>2783179
How long does it take to spin down after you shut it off?
>>
>>2783181
>>2783993
take the better part of 5 minutes to wind down
here is a startup video but it doesn't do justice to the awesome sound it makes
https://youtu.be/T5Bui7CS0Tw?si=Xrnau0wY94w4PkEA
>>
>>2776836
just get an arched cabin
>>
>>2784003
A-frames are easy and cheap, hence their popularity.
>>
>>2783995
I'm in lust.
>>
>>2776836
please just buy a used travel trailer for the money you'd spend on the shipping container PLUS THE SHIPPING/MOVING FEES (IMPORTANT)
$5-10k will get you a very nice trailer, you can move it around with a regular truck (which can be rented easily), it will probably be furnished and have appliances
>>
>>2779719
Why do this instead of framing it entirely out of wood?
>>
>>2776836

Buy a used RC/trailer while you fix up your house, THEN fuck around with building a temporary living space. It will have an already finished interior, washroom, kitchenette, and you could run tools from it. Part it down and finish the house.

Not every project has to be forged from a sun to be true diy.
>>
>>2784003
>>2784611
op here, I never considered many timber structures since they would normally end up more expensive than I'd feel comfortable walking away from if I was ever caught by code enforcement.

However, an A frame should maybe be under budget.
only problem I'm having is my local hardware store only sells 2x6 in 16ft sections.
I did some quick cad to see what that would look like and it's a total manlet hut.
And I'm not entirely sure 2x6 is suitable for a 60 degree peak angle of that dimensions.
I'd have to actually look up some correct building regs on it but I think I can build the foundation and frame it for 2G and then another 500 to roof it. assuming 2x6 is allowable, which it probably isnt for the floor joists
>>
>>2787124
i guess it missed the measurement, the bottom would be 6'3.5 with floor, and the top 5'10 with floor
I am 6'3
>>
>>2776842
I renovated my home while I lived in a used rv.
All that bullshit work you have to do on the shipping container is already done with an rv.
Knew a guy who renovated a shipping container into a foam-insulated radio shack, it's just a lot of fucking work. But if you want that kind of project then go for it.
t. own a shipping container and an rv
>>
File: TRIANGLES.png (70 KB, 698x688)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>2787170
the entire point though is i end up with a second permanent structure fit for lasting at least 50 years.
desu I'm thinking more and more about just framing a 16x20 A-frame and call it a day. I can either build an outbuilding for toilet/shower/laundry or just drive to the other house for that.

It also brings a few other options, mainly I can build this in quite a remote area if I wish, there are a few different quiet deadend valleys I can build in.
>>
>>2786989
2 containers cost 4k or less, buying wood and getting a carpenter is more expensive desu i think is the general way of thinking
>>
>>2787409
>getting a carpenter
anon...
no the reason people are drawn to a container is it's a one lump sum bam spend $2400-2800 and a box shows up.
the box is already weather tight and wind tight and you can immediately begin living in it.

it is highly desirable for people with no savings or plans because it's just low enough cost you can impulse buy one and then use weekly disposable income to improve it gradually.

Something like a small timber frame house you have to drop $1400 on concrete, rebar, rental post driller, tie wire, some bits of wood for molding and layout.
that gets you the foundation peers
after that step you can wait a bit for more money and then you basically have to afford the entire cost upfront of framing, exterior walls, and roof before it becomes weather tight and you can begin using it, building it also takes a month of weekends. you either do it in the spring/fall whne it will probably get rained on and fucked up, or you do it in the summer where you fucking melt in the sun and get skin cancer.
and at the end of it' you're in it for the same money.
>>
>>2787559
Containers make stellar workshops like mine but they're not for people who care about conventional housing. The military and industry, fountains of all that is good, make great use of them for their specific advantages which of course do include instant usable vermin-proof space where it's exceptionally easy to control humidity (the reason my classic motorcycle garage and machine shop are built of High Cubes).

Containers are far stronger than stickbuilt construction though extreme waves at sea can smash them (so never live in a storm surge area unless your home is built like an oil platform AND on a turtleback so it won't flood afterwards). An instant hurricane-resistant structure can be very nice to have.

If containers are hard, you fucked up and would likely fuck up stick building. Pole barns etc crumple in high winds unless unusually reinforced (steel posts and trusses as used on poultry barns do well).
Wood is nice for furniture and camp fires but wildfires are an increasing threat and containers are easy to defend (kill a generous firebreak so they don't cook) because flying embers will bounce off just like weld spatter.

>>2787409
>2 containers cost 4k or less,

Best to avoid the beat up condemned "WWT" (which often are neither) and spend the extra for at least "cargo ready" (not condemned for maritime use like WWT) and the best are "one trip" grade which are new having made one passage. ALWAYS get a High Cube for max storage, room for overhead shelves and equipment etc. Standard height sucks and are best for storage.

Study, never assume. Those who fail to study all their options exhaustively of course get worse outcomes. Containers are best used by people who already weld and fabricate because we can make short work of them but it's not hard to learn.

Anyone interested should build a container shop first. If you can afford more than you can afford a shop and at that level of DIY need a shop separate from your eventual living quarters.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.