[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I have access to 48v ebike battery's and I would like to use them with solar.
But my inverter can't use 48v.
Can I just use a reducer and just use 12 or 24 v?
>>
>>2787674
solar charging is rough on batteries
>>
>>2787674
If you can see inside the pack you’d probably see 4 groups of 12 V batteries.
Anyway, the point is, it’s very likely that you can tap 12 an 24 volts out of it.
>>
>>2787677
No it isn’t… go back to your conedison marketing job
>>
I was thinking of using this too charge it and apparently the load out should be 12v but I can't did out what is the max rating
>>
>>2787696
Figure out the max output
>>
>>2787674
Crack it open, split pack down to 12v groups, do parallel connection. It's not that hard.
>>
>>2787696
you can put a load directly on batteries, most of the victron chargers dont have a regulated load output
t. I have the older model 100 20
>>
>>2787725
And then I get 4 small batteries that are useless and I can't charge?
>>
>>2787732
I need 12v my inverter is not 48
>>
>>2787725
That’s what I would do.

>>2787744
Nah, you get a charge controller made for 3S lithium. Then you can break up the packs and split them up into 3 equal groups. Like if you have 48 cells, then parallel up groups of 16 cells… assuming you can find 48 cells that are equal in health. And then series up the 3 groups or 16 cells for a 12V lithium pack.

Disclaimer: that’s a lot of lithium so don’t start a fire.
>>
>>2787764
How about I just step down the voltage with this
>>
Lifepo4 batteries are really, really cheap now. You are going to spend more money and effort nigger rigging something to try and charge a fucking ebike battery instead of the $349 for a lifepo4 battery. I guarantee it.
>>
>>2787936
I got the battery for 80€ its from a lime thing
48v 19ah
>>
>>2787910
i use one of those to use my electric dirtbike with an ups as an inverter, but i use a 60v to 13,8v as i use an old 12v lead battery as a buffer
those without any kind of buffer are tricky in my experience
>>
>>2787991
I have a 20ah gel battery around.
So you do solar panels+victron+bike battery+buck convert+12v battery+ inverter !?
>>
>>2787952
Yeah you can buy a bigger LFP battery for less. You wasted money on a subpar used battery, and now you're going to do something really stupid with it because evidently you don't know what you're doing. Also liking the overpriced Victron MPPT charge controller for this ghetto nigger solar setup. I hope you at least have more than 10W in solar panels.
>>
>>2788004
20ah lead-whatever format, you can only drain to 50%, without seriously damaging the life of the battery, with the slight exception of dedicated deep cycle batteries, like golf cart batteries. You would reduce their life, but not as much.

Then, there's only 80% efficiency in lead. You put in 1000 watts and get 800 watts out.

And that they need a long absorb time after bulk charging.

And that they are heavy.

And have a low number of cycles until they are dead.

Fuck lead. Lead is dead. Get LFPo.

>>2787674
If it wasn't a LIME bike, instead just any old 48v pack, I'd say you have it completely backwards. Most generic ebike packs are fire hazards. 19ah is nothing. That's about 1,000 watts. The Victron is a premium, you can probably get by with a hack approach, like a less expensive manufacturer, but you usually need a boost converter if you're using a standard panel that outputs 35v and a 48v battery. They were in use for golf carts that were 48v where a single residential panel would be affixed to the roof. One company makes them, idr who. Just google mppt boost controller for golf carts.

Go on DIYsolarforum and look at the projects on there.
>>
File: the circle of life.jpg (56 KB, 1080x754)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2787674
Charging the batteries and using them to power an outlet are two different things. People are confused because you're not being clear what you want to do.

You have free 48v batteries. You need to charge them. You said you are going to "use it with solar" which is fine, you need a solar panel and a 48v charge controller. You find out how many watts of solar panel you need (e.g. 400w) by considering the Amp Hours of the battery and how much sun you expect, it's too complex for this post but Amp Hours (Ah) is how much power the battery has. Think of it as a pond you're filling with the solar panel -> charge controller -> battery. The max size of the pond is Ah.

Totally and absolutely separately is using the power from the 48v battery. You can get a stepdown for about $30, and you'll have usable 12v and be able to power your inverter. Your inverter takes DC and turns it into AC and is very inefficient. The stepdown is also inefficient but probably not significantly. You can figure out how much you can power safely* based on your Amp Hours and the wattage of the appliance you want to plug in.

Side notes:
1. many things run on 12v DC and it doesn't make sense to plug, say, a laptop in when you can power it directly from the stepdown. Or lighting. It's just a waste of conversion through the inverter then power brick.
2. you can buy a 48v inverter ($150) to skip the stepdown.
3. some inverters have a charge controller built in. this would be 48v obviously and they are still separate things.
4. A 400w solar panel is the size of a desk. I doubt you will need less, likely more.
5. what you power is crucial. With 800Ah you can run a 1300w toaster for about 4 minutes. Your batteries are probably more like 8Ah if that. You're not powering a house, not without a bank of hundreds of batteries.

Try using the right language and saying what you plan, especially what exactly you think you're going to run off this system.
>>
>>2787910
Wasted energy converted to heat
>>
>>2787910
Whenever you convert voltage, you're wasting some of your power. Quit being dense and lazy so you can use a 3S4P configuration like any sane person would. About the only reason this would be hard is if you can't do basic math and you tend to put forks in the outlet a lot.
>>
>>2788025
I'm going to put 4 100w panel's in series so it doesn't have to boost anything...
Also I plan to use the battery on my ebike 2
>>
>>2788029
So I plan to use the victron 48v to charge the battery and I'll use a step down to make 12v for my inverter and use the inverter to power my mini fridge
>>
>>2788041
I don't care I have access to free solar panels
>>
>>2788045
You say that now, but when you don't get full sun for a few days you'll wish you weren't wasting your battery bank so much. Oh well, you can pay the lazy tax I guess.
>>
>>2788103
My load is 100w you can make that even on a cloudy day.
Also I've seen a guy run a mini fridge 5 days on a 200ah battery
>>
File: chargelet.png (5 KB, 205x246)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>2787910
>>
>>2788004
no, that is a different setup than my solar, 500km apart.
i just use the bike battery in my garage, bc it does not have electricity, as it is not mine.
so its 60v battery, dcdc, big old lead battery and shitty ups

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.