[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1707598311508187m.jpg (75 KB, 917x1024)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Use this thread to ask questions you think don't require a thread of their own.

The old thread no longer bumps: >>2785345

If you didn't get a response in the old thread, feel free to ask again here.
>>
Life has blessed me enough that I live alone in a small house on a little bit of land with some I am able to develop. I've thought about this for a long while, and I've made up my mind to build a small farm. I've chosen vermiculture: worm farming. I'll sell nightcrawlers for fishing and chicken feed, and the "black gold" soil they produce I will sell as fertilized soil for gardening and growing potted plants.

Now, I've realized I'm in a position to nearly perfectly recreate the "Sneed's Feed and Seed" Simpsons gag which has become a popular meme, hence my dilemma. I'm not sure if I should do that or not.

My last name (Selwyn) means and translates directly to "Wild." So I thought of a few simple business names like "Wild's Worms," "Selwyn's Wigglers," "Selwyn's Squigglers," "Wild's Wigglers," etc.

I could name it "Wild's Worm & Dirt."

I have an ancestor who was known commonly by the name "Squire." So my signage could read "Wild's Worm and Dirt (Formerly Squire's). This is a sex gag, much like "(formerly Chuck's)." In this case, the joke is "Squire's Squirm and Squirt."

However, in this case, it offers a layer of plausible deniability if the gag alteration follows the same as The Simpsons', by using the name Squire to establish a rhyme scheme. With that, it would be "Squire's Wire and Dire." This very nearly works for the business idea, since I will sell bait to fishers. "Wire" could be affixing a lure to a line. "Dire" could be the impending fate of the prey (fish).

Here's why I hesitate: I am going to sell worms and dirt to clientele who will be mostly good old boys who have never left the country, and boomers who care a great deal about how the flowers and bushes in their front yard look. Neither of these types are the sort to know about 4chan memes.

I'm talking about naming an upcoming financial venture after an inside joke that none of my clients are likely to get.

What do you think? What would you do?
>>
>>2789558
I get that my question looks a bit like a joke. It isn't. I'm talking about building a modest commercial farm right next to where I live. I want to take every aspect quite seriously. I'm planning on getting it up and operational this year.
>>
I have a bunch of 10ga and 12ga steel I liberated from work. What should I make with it? I have a shitty welder and plasma cutter.
>>
>>2789608
fire pits and hallway coat hangers
>>
The concrete around my soil pipe (where it goes into the ground) is cracked and falling apart. The pipe itself seems fine. What do I do? Try to break away as much of the concrete as possible, make some kind of frame and then put new in? I have some cement, what sort of mix should I use for it?
>>
>>2789558
>This is a sex gag, much like "(formerly Chuck's)." In this case, the joke is "Squire's Squirm and Squirt."

cringe x1000
>>
>>2789553

Looking for the best way of extending my dryer vent out, down and away from the side of the house that it's on. Roughly 2ft from the corner, I need to get the exhaust away from the AC condenser coils.

Outside of putting a new hole in the side of the house, the best I can think of as a temporary measure is some flex hose but it's going to look pretty ghetto. The vent run is only about 8 foot currently and straight, so I'm not concerned about flow impediments a turn or two will add to the mix.

Any suggestions, outside of the obvious of putting the new permanent hole in the wall.
>>
>>2789679
>Basically anything you would want to do with a watch has already been done

My mistake I thought this was the do it yourself board.
>>
>>2789737
You can make stuff yourself but still follow established solutions instead of trying to make something yourself that won't work even on paper.
>>
Yardwork related question:

It's spring and it's time to start cleaning up my yard. We had a lot of high winds over the winter and my yard is LITTERED with thousands of tiny sticks and twigs from the trees I have and the woods along the back of the property. Is there a faster and easier way to pick them up besides raking and picking up the piles by hand? I had looked into maybe buying a lawn sweeper to pull behind my mower, but it doesn't sound like they work well for sticks and twigs. Especially if your yard isn't perfectly flat.
>>
File: s-l1600.png (1000 KB, 1500x1498)
1000 KB
1000 KB PNG
Does anybody make a claw hammer whose claws are specifically wider apart, to be able to fit a 3/8-1/2" wide stake? I use these nibbas for staking everything when camping but all my hammers claws barely grab onto the head of the stakes and its just annoying and fiddly
>>
>>2789828
I would go with a quick rake or get one of those leaf blowers that goes in reverse and bags the shit. And then run it with the mower, stick a bag on there if it’s that bad. Leftover tiny sticks and leaves shredded in the mower normally mulch up well and disappear quickly.
>>
File: 62403077.jpg (1021 KB, 2000x2000)
1021 KB
1021 KB JPG
>>2789828
These are available from Lowe's, HD, Amazon, and other equipment sources.
>>
>>2789836
Buy a cheap claw hammer.
Grind the claw opening wider.
Save for use on stakes.
????
profit!
>>
>>2789843
okay buy me the tool to "grind" a hammer
>>
>>2789846
>buy me the tool
This is /diy/ - buy your own tools.
Hammers are steel - they aren't beyond grinding.
>>
>>2789851
kid if you dont know what you're talking about just stop while you're behind
>>
>>2789854
He gave you a solid answer.
>>
File: images (12).jpg (83 KB, 452x678)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Can I exploit thermal expansion or something similar to break a car window? Like slimming the gap between glass and metal with aluminium or something like wax motor at a cold night so it expands and breaks the glass on a hot summer day?
>>
>>2789872
Just spark plug it in the middle of the night like every other nigger does. You can walk past it and just throw a broken up piece of ceramic at a windshield and it'll smash.
>>
File: PXL_20240421_192933371.jpg (1.59 MB, 3264x2448)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
This is not a question, I just wanted to say that I am proceeding with the plan to unfuck the leaning wall in my house using come-alongs. I have four come-alongs installed roughly 6 feet apart from each other. Sadly for all the people who said that I will kill myself doing this, I haven't started to pull the wall back to plumb yet because it was getting too late and I had a long drive to my apartment. Stay tuned until next Sunday.
>>
File: PXL_20240421_193015384.jpg (2.69 MB, 3264x2448)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>2789916
This is how I attached the hooks to the wall. Should hold, I think
>>
What is this called and what is it used for?
>>
>>2789916
you probably need to pull diagonally down instead of straight across. it looks like all that will happen now is you'll compress/bow the ceiling stringers
>>
>>2789918
It’s a cargo rack that goes into the trailer hitch and holds stuff off the back bumper of the car.
>>
>>2789924
>you probably need to pull diagonally down instead of straight across
Why?
I will disconnect the ceiling joists before starting to pull the wall back and will reconnect them after the wall is back up straight.
You see the whole reason why the wall started to lean is because I had disconnected the ceiling joists in the process of demolishing the walls on the first floor. I then put them back to prevent the wall from leaning further while I was gathering supplies to pull it back to plumb.
>>
File: TM902C_LL1__17665.jpg (233 KB, 1280x1280)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
Got one of these cheapos for chemistry, but I need to place the probe on some rough shit. What are some ways to both protect it and make it chemically inert? I thought about using a glass pipette, closing it on one end with a torch and sticking it inside, but I'm not sure how to close the other end or how much that will affect the reading.
>>
>>2789918
luggage rack, it's for running rapids in a river.

dumb ass.
>>
>>2789951
Glass doesn’t conduct heat worth a damn. It’s going to take awhile for the temp at the probe to equal the temp outside the glass.
>>
>>2789961
Any other idea that wouldn't react organic solvents (sometimes mildly acidic ones)?
>>
>>2789962
Nah I’m just here to shit on your point. Wonder if a tight piece of nitrile glove finger would work, it’s still going to take longer to get readings and any air in the glove fingertip would mean worse readings. I mean could you plasti-dip it?
>>
>>2789981
Most plastics are soluble on organic solvents.
>>
File: fastOrange.jpg (1.55 MB, 4080x1836)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
>>2789553
Has anyone ever used this as lube before?
>>
File: 13715-01.jpg (60 KB, 600x600)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2789951
Stick it into a thin walled glass tube and fill the space between with mineral oil or silicone oil (you can use some of your mom's asslube). It's not going to be nearly as responsive as the bare probe would have been, but it still works great for many applications. You don't mention your specific application conditions?
You can also get stainless steel thermocouple probes for less than 10$ online that might suit your needs better. Pic related
>>
>>2790135
Couldn't find the steel ones for cheap in the store, they must be out of those.
It's going to be used mostly for distillations, I run a lot of those to recover solvents and sometimes those solvents can be quite dirty, including having acid dissolved in them, which would attack the steel, although if they had those for cheap enough it'd probably still be worth it to just buy a few. Might use for the occasional thing or two where the mercury thermometers can't handle or which would be to risky to use those.
>>
File: 3holeaxe-web.jpg (70 KB, 900x900)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Anyone making high quality version of picrel?
I like the tool, but they made it out of very soft steel. It's dull after 10 min of work. I have the council tool one.
>>
File: 1310249409001.jpg (4 KB, 126x122)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>2789553
Anyone can recommend a book or topic direction for gift? My father was a salesman all his life, is now retired and enjoys making some type of thrift wood art. I wish to gift him something that puts his work on a better level.
>>
>>2789558
For tax purposes I recommend the most generic llc you can think of. No ones gonna get the joke and at this point it’s removed from the meme by several degrees but if it makes you giggle than go for it.

>>2789608
Caltrops and multitools

>>2789713
Silicon

>>2789724
Cringe is what cringe does

>>2789732
Do you not have a crawl space with vents every 12’ or so? If not, than yeah make a new hole pussy.

>>2789828
Faggots like you ought to enjoy creating more bundles. Stop being lazy and pick up the sticks.

>>2789836
Look for an actual claw. There are a many varieties.

>>2789841
Gay

>>2789872
Grow up

>>2789918
It’s a door to a floor access dungeon.

>>2790204
Bill hook is not that grate. Machete better.
>>
how do i filter out mass repliers
>>
>>2790251
But they know all and have answers to every question! Why would you filter their wisdom?
>>
File: im doing my part.gif (1.16 MB, 720x408)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB GIF
>>2790251
>>2790255
pic related

>>2789553
thanks for starting this new thread

>>2789558
>>2789560
you only live once. go for it.

>>2789608
make a ramp for extreme rollerblading

>>2789713
i don't have a serious response. concrete, I guess. hopefully someone else knows

>>2789732
can you run a pipe up the wall and vent it higher?

>>2789828
i wish I had asked this before bending my back for an hour last weekend. stupid willow tree.

>>2789836
use a grinder, I suppose.
Or ask this dude >>2789608 to make you a crow bar

>>2789841
my willow tree still has a bunch of branches to go ... maybe I ought to get one of these.

>>2789872
I think car windows are generally flexible enough that whatever you attach to it would have to expand A LOT to break it. And (obiously) more than the glass itself. Because everything thermally expands to some degree.

>>2789916
how are you reinforcing it once you get it to move?

>>2789918
who is your daddy and what does he do?

>>2789951
>>2789962
can you use an IR thermometer instead of a probe?

>>2790096
probably

>>2790204
I don't even know what this is

>>2790227
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Maker-Skills/dp/1681884321
>>
>>2790283
>can you run a pipe up the wall and vent it higher?

Doesn't serve much purpose to do that, exhaust will still be in proximity to condenser. Long term, yeah I know I need a new exhaust port entirely. It won't be terribly difficult to do and I have a spot picked out, mostly, theres just a ton of electrical I have to deal with outside from our pool pump and ECT.. This is just a temporary thing.
>>
How does ferric chloride work on copper and aluminium?
Iron is more stable than copper. No displacement reaction can happen.

Also, how come aluminium layer doesn't protect it from that?
>>
>>2790303
Oh i mean, copper is more stable than iron
>>
>>2789558
I know a guy named Sneed and he said you should do it. (Not making this up.)
>>
>>2789553
how long can non-ground-contact wood sit on the ground? I just got a bunch of lumber, but I won't actually be using most of it until about 2 months. Is it okay to leave it on the ground in my yard for 2 months?
>>
Easiest way alter my lawn so I never have to mow it again?(without just killing it)
Idk anything about lawncare so my ideal solution would be to

1. Dump a bunch of moss seed on it and have a moss/algea lawn i don't have to think about anymore
2. No step 2
>>
>>2790367
Sounds like you already have your answer.

I would probably choose #7- find the local Guatemalan crew that does your neighborhood and pay them $30 to do it. But I mow the shit myself these days because I don’t destroy my sprinkler heads.
>>
>>2790283
>can you use an equipment you don't have instead of the one you have?
Well, sure. Will you give me one?
Also this is for distillations and those types of thermometers aren't very accurate when you have hot and cold stuff in near proximity, such as around the condenser. Can't really measure vapour temperature accurately either. For some stuff I use aluminium foil to cover the fractioning column and its reflectivity also fucks with the IR measurement.
>>
I'm trying to press a .4 inch diameter, .3mm thick copper disc through a slanted hole and bend it into a cup shape like pic related. I'm using a drill press with a common pin punch in it. The best I can do bends it a little, then punches straight through.
I know nothing about working metal. Any advice?
>>
>>2790379
your going to need more tonnage than a drill press quill to coin primer cups. find a hundo dollar 5 ton benchmaster punch press on cl
>>
>>2790383
That's confusing to me. The pressure I'm using with the drill press is enough to easily punch holes straight through the copper. I've tried .3mm and .1mm to the same result. Why would a 5 ton press be any different?
>>
>>2790370
Is that an answer...?
>>
>>2790379
Try oiling the plate. Might need a bevel on the die and to draw more.material than you.need and then trim it to size in another operation
>>
>>2789854
Retard
>>
Got a portable atlas compressor with a bad starter. Removing the entire starter would be a hassle requiring removal of several components. Would just removing the solenoid and rebuilding it be enough to get the engine to crank?
>>
>>2790443
depends on whether it's the solenoid or the starter motor.
>>
File: 1704472482426923.png (40 KB, 900x623)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>2790443
>bang on it with a hammer to get it to crank
>certain areas where banging is more effective
>one of those areas the solenoid
follow simple flow chart for solenoid troubleshooting
>>
>>2789856
>He

samefag a little harder next time, this one was too obvious
>>
How do I build a dummy o2 sensor?
No matter what I google, I get countless 'jeet written articles that tell me everything besides how to actually acquire one.
I'm sure I can easily make my own, but I also want to know what I need to measure to optimize it for the ecm.
>>
File: door-max-plus-rev.jpg (29 KB, 690x525)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
has anyone used "door armor" like pic related to help resist getting your door kicked in? I was going to go with it but it says it needs 2 quarters (the coin) width of door gap which I have barely more than 1, and plus reviews say that it can interfere with weatherstrip sealing which is unacceptable since I live in the desert which can get 110-115 in the summer so any air leak would double my already insane ac bill. long story short I don't want to have to go and chisel out 42 fuckin inches of jamb only to make it fit only for it to be shit anyway.
>>
>>2790647
Have you considered moving somewhere without niggers? These things aren't going to stop your door getting kicked in.
>>
>>2790649
doesn't exist. even in deep rural good ol boy land there are still plenty of them, wether they be your run of the mill niggers or meth head wiggers. moving would solve nothing except liberating my accounts of most of their money.
either way, the jigaboos and taco benders around here are kept mostly in check and the state government so gratuitously allows us near zero restrictions on guns and even let's us use them to perform lead induced 4th trimester abortions in self defense, so this is mostly just a just in case thing and also to give the wife some piece of mind.
>>
>>2790653
They don’t make it very far in a good suburban gated community. If you’re not the first house off the fence, those folks probably won’t make it to your doorstep before Karen calls private security on them.
>>
>>2790656
even if that were the case and I lived in an area with 10000:1 whites to non whites, armed patrolling security and the crime rate of Switzerland, I would still want to take some basic measures to harden my house just in case
>>
File: 1713584265799714.png (138 KB, 400x379)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
I need to reseal my bath

I called a plumber to track a leak from upstairs and it was water leaking from the seal around the bathtub and also through the bottom of a tap seal, so it just needs a new silicone seal

The plumber has been ignoring my calls for a quote/followup appointment & I cant get any other blue collar guys to respond, maybe the job is too small? Should I be doing this myself? Im afraid of damaging the bath/wall while cutting out the old stuff, the Bathtub is against a wall naturally.

Should I just do it myself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1xpTlgbgco [Embed]

It looks simple, but im not confident and dont want to create a worse situation where there are more faults in the seal in future.
>>
File: 1611516606339.png (264 KB, 833x1200)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
I'm trying to get into distilling, I know nearly nothing. I just wanna find out by trying out. I'm currently fermenting some white grapes for wine (not gonna distill this) and I wanna try using pineapple next which I want to distill.
most 2-10L stills are about 300-500 euromoneys, I think that's a bit expensive for just getting into things. Are there cheaper alternatives to this? I wouldn't mind getting one but it just seems too much.
or just any general advice pertaining to the setup of a still would be appreciated
>>
>>2790379
A year or so ago Alex Steele on youtube made a series of videos about drawing copper through dies to make a similar kind of shape.

Ultimately he landed on making several dies and making the part in stages, with each stage pulling the part a little more into shape.
>>
>>2790662
It's a pretty easy job, if a little tedious. Worst case your sealant will start going black, you should do it with a bathtub filled with water so the bath is at its lowest point and use the little rubber spreaders instead of your thumb, they only cost a dollar or two.

Or you can just pay someone to do it for you.
>>
File: 71ZrZ3X8caL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (241 KB, 1500x1156)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
is it possible to disassemble a multitool from this point? I got gifted one that's black oxide and I don't mind the other tools being stiff right now but the main pliers are just far too stiff to even bother with honestly right now, and I want to wear it down faster than just opening/closing it a million times
>>
>>2790712
Have you tried just loosening off the replaceable plier jaws a bit? Maybe they're too close. Otherwise, no, not without ruining the pliers. Just oil it up and open it a bunch.
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (75 KB, 640x480)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Long story short I now have 8 gallons of ed's red solution stored in metal f cans
>1 part transmission fluid
>1 part kerosene
>1 part mineral spirits
>1 part acetone

I want to part some of it out into smaller, squeezable plastic containers for ease of use. Is PET the safest option? These bottles don't need to store the solution for a century but I'd hope for a few years at minimum. Google is all over the fucking place for what plastics are or are not safe for each of the different ingredients.

I don't know much about plastics in this context but it seems like PET gets good reviews on storing all four of those chemicals, and I can readily get the exact shape and volume of bottles I'd want in PET.
>>
>>2790647
>to help resist getting your door kicked in
Does your place not have windows?
Someone willing to kick your door in will just go to an easier access point if thwarted by reinforcement on the door.
A normal door with deadbolt will turn away casual thieves.
>>
>>2790667
>Are there cheaper alternatives to this?
>>
>>2789553
I have a detached garage getting fumigated. It has an electrical conduit running to the house electrical box. The guy said I need to plug the conduit with a foam or putty. What kind of putty can I use? Preferably removable because I'm going to have my electrical box upgraded soon.
>>
>>2790746
thanks, I suppose it might just be better to bite the bullet and get a bigger one actually meant for distilling booze and not one of these water distillers
also I found >>2774824 /home brew general/ so I'm gonna ask there as well
thanks for the reply
>>
>>2790753
Is plumber’s putty “up to code” for that? Otherwise hit it with some expanding foam and just peel it off when the time comes.
>>
>>2790708
>Or you can just pay someone to do it for you.
Maybe its my area but Im getting ghosted by every contractor, Id be fine paying for it too.
I think they just diont wana waste their time on such a small job

I thought if it was a simple job but im reading a lot more now and it seems a lil more involved, needing to dry the area perfectly or it wont stick/not being able to get all the old stuff out without extra materials/sprays etc. I just want it done....
>>
>>2790738
actually no I don't. all of my 1st floor windows are behind my block wall. obviously it can be climbed, but that would deter easy smash and grabs since you would need to climb it twice at least
>>
>>2789558
I’d go for it.

You could put the “formerly Squire’” in a subtle way or not.

For example, you could have a photo of Squire with a brief bio underneath. Explain he used to own the place before you renamed it.

Hoot shop up a photo of some old guy standing in from of the store, with just part of the stores name visible eg “ Squires Sq”

If it’s ever actually a problem you just take the photo down. A few people will get it.

Or you could run it hard bu having Squires day” where you hang the “formerly Squires” wood plank outside on the full sign. You give discounts that day on Squires Favorites” or whatever.
>>
>>2789558
>Wild's Worm & Dirt."

conveys what you offer. Keep shit simple. Your silly joke should be of zero business importance because business is about making money not spergtardation, and people who want worms and dirt will remember worms and dirt.

Worms and Compost is even better. Decide if you are serious or not. If you want to jerk off you can name a blog or something whatever you want, but names should be simple, memorable and generate SALES without requiring EXPLANATION.
>>
>>2789737
That however is reality but in no way excludes copying success. Watches have been around centuries after all.

If you want to get deep into horology the first step is finding a venue with subject matter experts and this is not one nor can it be made one because of inherent design limitations of the board. No amount of pouting can fix that BTW so go where experts are.
>>
>>2789854
Dear stupid ignorant fuckwad, that was the correct answer. Angle grinders are glorious which is why most welders own several to avoid constant accessory swapping.

Best first size to get is ~6" for the long reach cutting disks as larger are awkward and babby 4-1/2" discs are too small and lack edge speed. I do replace or mod guards on smaller grinders to fit 6" cutting disks tho, but never run unguarded disks.

You can gently (wear a face shield when grinding unless proudly stupid) grind and cut using the edge of the disc and light pressure inside the claw. You can use flap abrasives to polish the result. Now go learn about angle grinders for they do wonderful things.
>>
>>2790443
Solenoids are normally replaced and should be cheap. Have you properly troubleshot to isolate the solenoid? If not do that first then remove noid to match up to replacement.
>>
>>2790753
RTV peels off nicely. I use it for such things.
>>
>>2790704
I ran into a different video looking for the one you suggested where a guy did the same thing. He was drawing copper into shells for ammo, stretching it out much more, but I imagine it'll work on a smaller scale, too. Might be able to get away with it two or three presses.
>>
>>2789951
You can get wireless stir bars thermometers, that's the hot shit now
>>
>>2790943
For measuring the temperature of the liquid being heated, sure. But I want to measure the temperature of the vapour being condensed which isn't necessarily the same when doing fractional distillations.
>>
>>2790366
bump. It's not "ground contact" but can it be in contact with the ground for like two months? I can move it to the garage if I have to but it's a lot of lumber so I'd rather not
>>
>>2790870
>>2790928
Will do. Thanks, fellers.
>>
Maybe obtuse but I'm curious, why aren't low RPM, overbuilt stationary diesel engines more popular for off grid power generation? ( Lister engine) Surely they could even be modernized for better electric generation
>>
>>2790958
sticker it up off the ground a few inches and tarp it. it'll be fine
>>
File: 1622586204211.jpg (117 KB, 1014x994)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
I want to learn to use something more robust than Fusion 360 for CAD, but I'm a cheap fuck that doesn't want to pay. Any suggestions?

Also, Joints/Assembly is really important to me. Like, I need to be able to set joint origins and rotate components so I can visualize how they fold, open, and close.
>>
>>2790967
Low RPM and power efficiency don't really go together.
>>
File: GJklqM1W8AEGr0l.jpg (17 KB, 236x236)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2789553
Recently bought a 6" color CRT and it only outputs green. What's wrong with this faggot?
>>
>>2790979
Grow a neckbeard and get FreeCAD or pirate solidworks.
>>
>>2791074
The piece of circuitry that splits each trace in 3 different colours to form your full colour image might be fucked and shoving all the rays into green.
>>
I'm a few years from building my own house. I've got some ideas and I need a program that lets me draw a floor plan and lets me experiment with interiors. Never done this before so I figured I'd ask here.
>>
File: 20240424_161051.jpg (2.81 MB, 3000x4000)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
How do I paint over A so that it doesn't look like B? I'd like to make the wall look as uniform as possible.

The last paint job was bad, I just sanded all the little bumps.
>>
>>2791237
remove loose paint (and texture if involved)
skim coat to fill depression
feather edges
finish sand
apply matching texture
prime
paint
>>
>>2791237
Sand more? Or hit it with some mud and then sand.

I’m no drywall expert but I’ve dealt with that and a thin layer of spackle should make it look better, although it will probably be a little bit more smooth than the bumpy layer upon layer of latex paint around it. Maybe I’m using the wrong rollers though.
>>
File: 1000001489.jpg (2.12 MB, 3072x4080)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
Starting to see these guys show up often, what are they and what's the best way to wage war on them?
>>
>>2791258
Are they like moths?

Do you have rice or grain stored anywhere? Flour? I would take a peek in all of those.
>>
>>2791258
I used to get some moths like those. They would make little cocoons in the dust on the edges of floors, and crawl up the wall dragging themselves.
>>
File: file.jpg (92 KB, 1573x1131)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2790647
Lolling at mutt door systems. Even in "urban" apartments, doors look like they're made of thin plywood with the most pathetic excuse of a deadbolt and clothes cabinet-tier hinges supporting them.
>>
I've never paid attention- is JB weld one of those compounds that cures faster when spread thin? Or does it cure faster when gooped on real thick?

I usually work with resins and some resins cure when thin like a paint, but others snap cure the thicker the mass is
>>
my Subaru Outback has this rest on the quarter panel. just interested in removing the rust and reinforcing. I don’t care so much if it looks good. you can’t really get the quarter panel replaced. well, you can it’s just insanely expensive cause it’s a huge piece. should I grind it out, treat it and panel bond a patch on to it? (I don’t have a welder.) maybe panel bind the piece from behind the panel and fill the depression with bondo or cat hair?
>>
File: IMG_0479.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x3024)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>2791372
>>
File: 1713064326760509.webm (1.71 MB, 720x720)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB WEBM
>>2791257
>>2791256
Thanks. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>2791351
>JB weld one of those compounds that cures faster when spread thin?
No
>>2791351
>Or does it cure faster when gooped on real thick?
No
It's a chemical reaction.
The thickness (or thinness) has little effect on curing time.
>>
I'm planning to build a new computer desk. Will I need anything past these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BYC23NJ/

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sparrow-Peak-Rubberwood-1-1-4-in-Thick-Butcher-Block/5001523795

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Clear-Tung-Oil-1-pint/1000894144
>>
>>2791401
jb weld cures with an exothermic reaction so yes the addition of mass will result in more heat being generated faster and thus a faster cure

go be a faggot somewhere else, kid
>>
I'm working full time in a job I don't really see a future in, but I need the money. I've been told that a pre-trade course would help in an apprenticeship but I can't really go to the courses during work hours. What are some resources I can use to teach myself skills that might land me an apprenticeship?
>>
>>2791447
>exothermic reaction
>more heat being generated faster and thus a faster cure
Don't they teach Chatelier's principle in high school anymore?
>>
How much does it cost to build a house?
I'm shocked at the prices on the dumps for sale.
Would it be cheaper to buy a parcel of land and then build a small house?
>>
Is there a reputable, hopefully non-chinese, site that sells a WIDE array of fasteners and other small hardware?

I have a fairly complex project in mind but I don't even know what the hardware I'd need is called so I need to window shop until I see something similar, and also maybe see other hardware I didn't even know/think about that might work better
>>
File: 1706508447184168.png (129 KB, 389x318)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>2791618
>doesn't know mcmaster-carr exists
you have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>2791623
jesus fuck I forgot all about them

they're all I'll need, thanks anon, go ahead and close this support ticket
>>
>>2791618
Depends on where you live. I've got a nice place that lets me buy shit in single piece orders, but it's 70 bucks minimum for free shipping.

Aliexpress is honestly pretty good if you know what you want, although searching for what you want can be a pain in the dick at times. You can't beat getting a bunch of stainless steel fasteners shipped to your door in a week for under 4 bucks.
>>
>>2791623
>>2791630

>one single 3" long 3/8" stainless steel pin is $32

nevermind I remember why I forgot about them

>>2791631
That's what I might fall back on but some of the hardware I'm not sure what it's called so I wouldn't know what to search for
>>
File: BasementWindow.png (3.11 MB, 1569x865)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB PNG
Any ideas on how to handle this basement window? I've already framed and put up paneling around it, which kind of limits what I can really do. It's old and gross looking, but doesn't leak. I want to re-caulk around it, however, I don't want to chance something not sealing again properly.
>>
>>2791618
>>2791623

Also Zoro.
>>
>>2791494
My buddy was having a custom house built fot his family while we were in high school. They started when he was in grade school and it got finished at like double the initial price some time after everybody finished college. And that was pre-Covid and nobody wanting to work.

It’s probably going to be a 5+ year project with tons of cost overruns if you actually try to do it. Legit, it’s so difficult to find reliable general contractors who are going to stuck to the budget and schedule of a single home, plus add in all of the other trade guys and inpections and getting utilities set up on a new property.
>>
File: 20240425_173052.jpg (3.31 MB, 4032x3024)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
Did I do something wrong or did my hacksaw handle warp? Last time I used it was a year ago. Picrel.
>>
>>2791661
So the blade fell off? Or you’re trying to put on a new blade? What’s the issue?
>>
>>2791663
I'm trying to attach the blade but it's too short. None of the blades in the pack I have fits, even the ones I used before.
>>
>>2791665
You know you have to loosen the tension, right? A hacksaw only has like one moving part, look for the lever and/or screw
>>
>>2791665
>>2791666
>>
File: image.jpg (2.66 MB, 4032x3024)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>2791665
>>2791667
They’re supposed to be too short when the lever or whatever is locked
>>
File: 20240425_180355.jpg (2.83 MB, 4032x3024)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>2791666
I completely loosened the knob at the top for tension but it's still not fitting.
>>
>>2791669
Try pulling on the blade how it’s hooked right now with the lever undone. It might be spring loaded, the Craftsman I have is light that.
>>
>>2791670
I got it in. Thanks for your help man. The bottom part that the tension knob is supposed to loosen was actually stuck due to the paint on the handle. Me pulling on the saw like a feral chimp ended jostling it loose.
>>
>>2791650
My parents built both of the houses I grew up in, but this was back in the 90s and they were very modest homes, but from what I remember they went up fast. Less than a year. And my parents had very humble jobs, my mom worked at a grocery store and my dad was a vending machine mechanic. But it was the 90s, not sure how bad it is now. I'm not looking to build a fucking castle or anything extravagant, just a plot of land and a small house. Fuck it maybe even a mini house to I don't get raped by the faggot fucking government and their bullshit property tax.
People are asking for legit $200k for their shacks built in 1920 with shit smeared on the walls, it's nuts.
>>
File: 1711265502009705.jpg (124 KB, 832x1024)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
How much would it cost and how tedious would it be to
>pay someone to take out carpet and put a new one in
>Attempt to take out old carpet and put a new one in myself
In a living room with 4 couches, big TV stand, ottoman, small coffee table, drawer, big glass lamp + misc things on the floor

I go to the mechanic for oil changes
>>
>>2791779
The carpet and pad are going to be like a couple grand or so. Install maybe a thousand.
The guy I use did a bedroom with a closet for around $600.
It's not that expensive.
I think it's totally worth it to hire someone who has done it a thousand times before and knows what they're doing.

I know this is /diy/ but that's my opinion, man.
>>
>>2791793
WTF
>>
>>2790204
fuck you doing with that guandao
>>
>>2790232
billhooks are way better than machetes
>>
I got a 65qt Yeti cooler as a gift. the fit and finish of this product is terrible. so much left over flash
i read that the locking handles are the most common fail item. There is a bunch of rough flash leftover where the handle locks into the body, and after a few cycles i can see its already leaving a mark.
is this normal? does the flash lock it in tighter, or should i file that area smooth?
>>
File: 1706330051858117.jpg (148 KB, 800x820)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>2792017
>overpriced meme brand
>kiked out for maximum profit
surprise pikachu.jpg
>>
>>2792028
yeah its fucking terrible. i would NEVER pay retail price for one of these.
like it says its bear rated, but only if you add padlocks. fuck that.
wheels are nice, they have bearings, and ss mounts. solid handle. just bad finishing.
worst part is they made it thick and small inside in purpose. for its asking price, they could have made a half in thick cooler with aerogel as an insulant.
i looked at those handles, they are riveted in. straight up planned obsolescence.
its nicer than my current cooler, so im not gonna bitch anymore.
>>
Can anyone recommend a "decent" compact/keychain-sized multitool? I fully understand that they do not perform as well as real, proper tools. I even understand that they do not perform as well as conventional full-sized multitools (like a Leatherman, the Swiss Army Knife, and their countless imitations).

I only have the following criteria:
>needs to be able to cut at least soft/thin plastic
>able to open bottles
>reasonably priced
>can comfortably hang off a keychain
>as few moving parts as possible

Things I do not strongly care for (ie. if it doesn't have these features, I wouldn't be sad about it):
>TSA approval
>screwdrivers
>pliers
>wrenches
>>
File: knife.jpg (97 KB, 1519x1421)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>2792127
I quite like the swisscard, which goes in your wallet instead. You get scissors, a little knife, and a file. Otherwise, I'd honestly just look for a blade holder with a bottle opener on one end, you're not going to get much more compact than that, this one is like 5 bucks and probably cheaper if you order it from china.
>>
File: iOomjEl.jpg (2.61 MB, 2068x2357)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
I cleared out my storage unit and now I'm left with a cylinder lock without any use. How can I reuse this thing?
>>
>>2792127
Gerber Dime if you want pliers, or the Leatherman Micra if you want scissors.
>>
File: Ho2202806_101@2x.jpg (452 KB, 1080x1080)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
I'm installing a floating shelf into a concrete wall.

When using those nylon Fischer plugs, does the length of the plug need to match exactly with the length of screw going into it?
Should the hole for the plug be deeper than the plug? Or it's exact length?
>>
I’m starting as an apprentice at a mower shop for small engines in Aus. Is there anything I should know or any specific tools better suited for mowers, blowers, chainsaws etc
>>
>>2791372
These rust from behind and whats showing is the tip of the iceberg. Almost all of that arch is likely gone. This should be cut out and welded. Labor likely exceeds value of the car.
>>
>>2792273
the hole needs to be deeper than the screw or the plug
the screw should be somewhere between nearly as long as to just longer than the plug PLUS whatever you want to fasten PLUS how far you push the plug into the hole to get it past the surface finish into the substrate below

its basically a bit of plastic that gets mashed up to fuck in the hole to take up space, its not rocket science that you need to worry about.
the hole will always be full of dust, you can get a little thing like for sucking a booger out of a babys nose to blow the dust out, or you can drill the hole a little longer and let the plug push the dust to the back. but if you drill the hole exactly as long as the plug/screw, the plug won't go all the way in because it will pack some dust to the back and fuck it all up.
there is no reason you can't drill the hole 10x longer than you need, just time and whatever is on the other side which stops you.
the rawl brand comes on a sprue that gives you a test hole for drill diameter and screw min/max diameter. these numbers are crucial.
>>
File: broken buckle.jpg (74 KB, 1280x1280)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
any way to fix this ? already tried with electronics solder but shit wont stick, its part of a watch strap
>>
File: fuck.jpg (40 KB, 700x700)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
what the FUCK is this thing called?
>>
>>2792670
D shackle
>>
>>2792671
THANK YOU
>>
File: PXL_20240428_150400803.jpg (2.23 MB, 3072x4080)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
What do I use to fill in the gap/build a base around the faucet I put in?
>>
>>2790712
Either let it loosen with use or email Leatherman and ask them how to break it in. Leatherman all have a 25yr warranty and you don't want to void it just because you're a limp wristed faggot.
>>
File: dgn.jpg (44 KB, 576x512)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
I want to setup some security cameras on my homestead.
i dont want to use any current bullshit camers that store shit on the cloud, or have monthly fees.
i only need 3 cameras, 1 is going to be a quarter mile away, so some sort of solar power supply, and directional antenna will be needed.
i have old pc hardware that i can use as a storage server.
im looking for recommendations on products that fill my needs
>>
>>2792766
dial it back, underaged poster
>>
>need a soldering iron for something
>don't know anything about them
Is there anything obviously bad about this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276441720169
If so, are there any better options in the price range?
>>
I need recommendations for what flooring to install on my basement subfloor. Originally, I was going to just do something cheap because we're planning to sell the house soon, so it won't see much use. I thought carpet tiles would be good, however, the cheap ones look incredibly shitty or are way too expensive. Installing traditional carpet also looks to be just as expensive. Should I just go with the LVP planks? The subfloor is definitely not level, so I don't think it would work that well.
>>
How can I DIY a replacement for a black oxide coating that's actually corrosion resistant?

My black oxide tools rust if you look at them funny. Easy enough to buy another coating for stuff like allen keys but the Klein 11 in 1 impact screwdriver is so valuable it lives in my pocket. Problem is I'm about to warranty it for the third time due to sweat/water corroding it to uselessness.

Ideas? I'm not going to strip it and wipe it down at the end of every work day but I might spray it with Fluid Film and see how that works.

Also Klein is the king of 11/10 ideas with shit execution. See also the 7-in-1 bitholding nut driver with weak "wings" that deform under normal use.
>>
>>2792880
I was going to recommend that Yihua brand before even clicking the link. People seem to like those stations.

How much more would you have to pay for one with the temp control on the main unit and a smaller pencil? One of the things people love about the Yihua stations is that lots of them will fit Hakko or Weller tips, so you can get down on better tips in the future when the cheap Chinesium ones die.
>>
File: 1708099268150.jpg (3.32 MB, 4080x3072)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
Raccoon keeps getting into my peanuts that are for the bluejays/nuthatches. Seems like he's able to climb down this wire and reach past the guard, or sometimes shake the nuts out.
Should I just get a longer wire or any better suggestions?
Also I know using a feeder pole would be better but the landlord doesn't want anything like that in the yard, which I understand.
>>
File: 1712917286064.png (611 KB, 685x720)
611 KB
611 KB PNG
>>2792918
Caught it once before I switched to a longer wire.
>>
>>2792915
>How much more would you have to pay for one with the temp control on the main unit and a smaller pencil?
Does this one seem adequate? It's only a little more expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIHUA-Digital-Soldering-Lead-Free-Calibration/dp/B0CMQHYTK5
>>
Arrow says these are mounted correctly, but should chevron tracks be mounted the other direction?
Would I gain more traction if I flip these?
>>
>>2792923
That looks straight for $5 more. It has good reviews, my biggest concern was that the first one might be slightly larger with the temp control in the handle. The actual stations with most of the equipment in a base are nicer to work with.

They don’t mention it, but that thing might use Hakko FX-888 style tips. I would try to google that if I were you, because if it uses a common style of tips, then you can use the quality name brand Hakko tips plus a huge selection of generic tips that fit for any application you want.

I’m not a big soldering guy tho, I just fix shit when it breaks. Ask the electronics general on it, they will tell you to get a Hakko or TS-100 that’s twice as much, but a few people there will admit the Yihuas are straight.
>>
File: hose bib sealant.png (142 KB, 855x695)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>2792759
>>
>>2792907
Cold blue chemicals. Better resistance would be steaming them.

Youtube Backyard ballistics bluing he has a good series, so does anvil
>>
File: 1714339306828413.jpg (1.15 MB, 3072x4080)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>2792918
>>2792919
get rid of the easy to hold on to tie down strap
add a second shield
>>
>>2792976
they are mounted correctly
the chevron points with the wings this direction for self cleaning
(the mud gets pushed out to the sides
even if reversing gave better traction (doubtful) it would quickly be lost due to clogging of the treads
>>
>>2793038
I could see how he can grab that.
>>
>>2793038
Also damn good photoshop.
>>
Hobby CNC question: Is there a good reason anyone can think of besides convenience about why everyone uses the same goddamn VFD spindles instead of a more purpose built model with higher torque and lower speed?
There are plenty of examples of DIY spindles out there driven by both sensorless and sensored BLDCs, which seem to all whip VFD spindles' asses when it comes to machining more challenging metals. What gives, does a product like that not exist in this segment?
>>
>>2792785
Find a small network forum like https://www.snbforums.com/

They do this shit all day long
>>
>>2793106
cost. same reason people use steppers on the axis drives
>>
>>2793117
Except a VFD spindle's cost range overlaps the same range of the component and machining cost of a sensored BLDC motor, ESC, and spindle assembly. That's why I think it's a matter of convenience more than anything else, no one appears to have made an attempt to either market such a device or even produce an open source hardware project.
>>
if i plunge my very slow draining sink what are the odds that i just push the clog further down and fuck myself later? anything i should be mindful of?
>>
>>2793119
i think you can use any old servo motor/drive you want as a spindle with linuxcnc/mesa boards. but linuxcnc is above the pay grade of a lot of hobby cnc brains
>>
>>2793134
Well holy shit, almost no one has tried to have a board generate a basic bitch PWM output?
>>
>>2793132
>what are the odds that i just push the clog further down
wait a few hours after the last time it had water in it
squirt dawn into dry drain
pour a large pot of boiling water into the drain

if this doesn't clear the drain, you need to snake it
>>
>>2793132
>slow draining sink

Have you removed the trap to be sure it isn't the problem?
>>
>>2793136
mach3 and grbl is a joke. and that's a large chunk of the market. the clearpath ac servos that have become affordable in the past few years are the biggest advance since consumers grade breakout boards.
i wish there was more options for step/dir dc servo drives. i have dg4s drives on my bp mill and there's not much else out there equivalent. i couldn't make geckodrives work for shit and they're half the current rating
>>
>>2793146
Alright, I’m inspired. I think I can hijack a fan output on a mainboard to drive something like an ebike controller, which should mean seriously torquey, cheap spindles are possible.
>>
>>2793153
here's some more inspiration
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/31742-servo-drives-costing-22-euros-for-2-motors
>>
Are LiFePO4 batteries actually significantly safer than Li-Ion batteries?
I wanna do an electrical project but I got too scared after seeing some housefires
>>
I'd appreciate some help from Anon with a simple problem with my tv
>>>/wsr/1459141
>>
A bit of back story. Went abroad for 3 months and thought everything was fine. Got back and someone had turned off my fridge and left it open. Fly shit and all nastiness all over the walls.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-hex-shank-drill-brush-cleaning-set-3-piece_p0225794
Would this be appropriate for cleaning the shit and what not off my walls? It's a big job and I would rather not do it by hand if I can save myself some effort.
>>
>>2793165
Only low quality shittily sealed batteries explode. If you aren't buying cheap Chinese shit you have nothing to worry about. Just don't leave them unattended and maybe invest in a outlet timer so it auto shuts off.
Been using one for years in my workshop and damaged it pretty bad once. Still works and does the job.
>>
What do I even do with this? I bought it for some reason and I’m confused
>>
File: rubber.jpg (285 KB, 1080x1551)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
I got this small piece of rubber torn from my sneakers.
What is the best way to glue it back?
I have hot glue, contact glue and CA glue. Which one should I use? Or do I need to buy some other glue?
>>
File: image.jpg (2.4 MB, 4032x3024)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
>>2793275
Shoe Goo works. Rubber cement/ contact cement is probably the closest thing to Shoe Goo.

Hot glue doesn’t hold worth a damn and most harder glues and epoxy will crack with the flex of a shoe.
>>
>>2793229
>What do I even do with this?
Keep it handy for when your wife is doing plumbing.
She'll know how to use it.
>>
File: sponge mop.jpg (73 KB, 1500x1500)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2793208
>I would rather not do it by hand if I can save myself some effort.

It's going to take soapy water to release the fly shit.
Your hand will have to hold the drill, so it's not 'hands-free'
Just get some version of picrelated and a bucket.
It will be much easier and faster than a small rotating brush which won't hold any cleaning solution.
>>
File: 83522.png (368 KB, 732x730)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>2793229
I have one. Used it twice.
1st time broke a tooth on the silver end attachment trying to uninstall a 60yr old calcified faucet. Ended up having to angle grind the whole thing out.
2nd time was a couple weeks ago, picrel. Faucet was loose and only about a 2" hole between the countertop and sink to run the hoses. Had to cut out a hole to fit the tool in there to tighten it up. The round red end did the trick.
It's one of those things you'll never use, until it's a situation where it's the only think that will work.
>>
File: 4456.png (326 KB, 728x727)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>2793291
Edit: More like this with the faucet raised up on the box. It was prefab'd with the whole countertop so installing the faucet was probably nearly impossible and the reason it was loose. Widening the hole was still easier than cutting of the silicon seal and, removing the whole sink, tightening the faucet' then re-sealing it again.
>>
>>2793143
>>2793142
dish soap didn't work in the end but i realised i had misread how the pipes flowed and i managed to wedge a wire hanger in there and pull out the gunk
>>
>>2790712
Open amd close it and apply wd40 to the hinge.
>>
File: attaboy.jpg (48 KB, 500x500)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2793322
>i managed to wedge a wire hanger in there and pull out the gunk
Well done. Sit back, relax and have a cool one.
>>
File: 20240429_182057.jpg (2.02 MB, 2120x1590)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
Have you had this pattern before?

I applied one layer of primer. Tried different rollers, it's all the same. I think it's the wall that's really crooked. Will 2 layers of eggshell paint appear uniform?
>>
>>2793503
You're putting the paint on too thin.
1/2 in roller AT LEAST

Watch a YT vid on how to paint.
>>
this board/general is probs the closest place to ask

is there literally any reason why these chink zippo flints would be worse than zippo brand flints that are like 50 cents per? a buck fifty for 100 of these temu ones is cheap enough to try and keep even if they are somehow worse or wear down faster or whatever, just curious
>>
>>2789553
These threads should have a list of resources in OP
>>
File: file.png (111 KB, 657x665)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>2790489
You really are fucking stupid, but I guess you're in the right place by coming to this thread.
>>
File: file.png (316 KB, 612x612)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>2792535
get the solder off of there, clean it up with some sand paper, and use JB Weld
>>
>>2793025
to be fair, he was calling it a faucet instead of a spigot. Never would have found what he was looking for.
>>
>>2793165
They are better for safety. Ignore the other anon. Classic "hasn't happened yet, so it's fine" mentality.
>>
>>2793588
how often are you changing your flint?
In any event, if it sparks up the lighter, what's the issue?
>>
>>2793597
>to be fair, he was calling it a faucet instead of a spigot
to be fair, I didn't chastise or correct him
I just pointed the way to a solution
>>
I have an unused duplex outlet in my kitchen that has a 20 amp fuse in the fusebox. When I tried to put in a 15 amp fuse, it blew the fuse. I wanna change the outlet/cover to decora to match the rest of the house. Is it safe to replace it with a 15 A outlet? Like what is even going on here? Like all the other outlets (minus the one for the big appliances) are all 15 amp so why is there a solitary 20 amp one. I'm in Canada and my home was built in the late 70s if that helps.
>>
File: IMG_20240430_090529912.jpg (236 KB, 1684x1263)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
After some suggestions for a home gym I'm building.

1. I plan to tape/mud the drywall but since my construction isn't entirely square there are 1~" gaps at some joins. Should this be a big problem?

2. I was planning a feature wall with the OSB. Any idea how I can make the joins more seamless? Should I stack the boards in any particular direction?

3. The OSB sizes at present will will leave about a foot gap either side which I planned to dry wall. Should I get more OSB and fully cover the face of the wall instead?

Any other tips?
>>
>>2793606
that IS fair.
I wasn't sure if you were posting a search results screen to go,
>five seconds in a search engine retard
I see people say that sort of thing a lot, but the reason they were able to find it is because they already knew exactly what they were looking for.
>>
>>2793684
are you supposed to leave plastic directly behind drywall like that? I think it needs to be able to breathe.
>>
>>2793678
The outlet and wiring need to be rated equal to or higher than the breaker/fuse.
It seems like you think that the 20 amp receptacle is why the fuse blew. It isn't.
There is something on that circuit (likely a combination of things) that is drawing more than 20 amps. You need to figure out everything that doesn't have power when the fuse is blown, to figure out what's causing it.
>>
>>2793701
It seems every country does it different but it's common practice in the UK with newer structures.

It's a *semi-permeable*. It doesn't trap but slows the transmission of moisture from the inside of the room to the wooden structure of the wall.
>>
I've got a standard 4 wheel push mower, is there any good way to make it turn on a fucking dime? I thought about just swapping out the front wheels with casters.
>>
>>2793704
It only controls that one outlet as far as I know which is unused. It blew because I tried to swap the 20 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse. All the other regular kitchen outlets have a 15 amp fuse though.
>>
>>2793881
>It blew because I tried to swap the 20 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse.
It blew because something drew too much current.
>>
File: 1.jpg (207 KB, 768x768)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
what causes this type of leak on these things? not from the male or female parts just from the little handle itself. it dripped when closed and pissed water when open.

i already replaced it i'm just curious now as to what part broke specifically
>>
>>2793902
There’s a seal on the shft between the handle and the actual flap/valve. That seal gets worn out.

>>2793850
Find some roller casters like a mechanic’s creeper, but get some off road size wheels on there. Put those on the front!

>>2790604
I think o2 sensors feed a voltage to the engine. You gotta find the voltage it likes to see during normal operation, get a buck converter and run a new circuit from the ignition side and wire that in!

I have no clue if it would actually work, and it won’t optimize anything because you need to know the real value it’s supposed to be at any given time so the engine can adjust accordingly. The o2 sensors are there for a reason.
>>
I’m looking for a cheap way to make some aluminium sheet stuff. Mostly machine enclosures and small rectangular frames and corners. From sheets maybe 1’x1’x1/8”

Basically something that allows me to cut sheets accurately (like a hydraulic sheet cutter, don’t know the layman’s term in English) and something to put 90 degree bends (a press brake).

Is there a cheap machine that does both for like, under $300? Alternatively if I get a press like this for $300, could I just put some press brake dies and shearing jaws on it?
>>
>>2793929
Like as in I would get pic related for bending, and some other attachment for shearing
>>
>>2793881
What did you have plugged into the outlet? It's not going to blow a fuse with nothing drawing power, unless you have a fucking 16 amp resistor soldered between the line out and the neutral bar.
>>
File: PXL_20240430_225103193.jpg (1.63 MB, 4080x3072)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
Hello, building people
I think I goofed up the finish on this end table by putting a PIPING HOT ear of corn on it.
I wrapped it in a paper towel, but it seems the heat was too much
What can I do? So I, like, sandpaper it and put more whatever back on?
I know very little and am kinda dumb, please help.
>>
Question related to issues with my detached garage:

The first thing is that the slab the garage is on is in horrible shape. There are cracks everywhere, large chunks missing, exposed aggregate, etc. Is this something that is repairable in a DIY situation, or would the slab need to be broken up and removed before a whole new slab is poured? I don't know a ton about concrete work, but to me it seems beyond saving.

The next semi related question has to do with moisture. The plywood on one side of the ceiling in the garage is always wet. Like completely saturated with water and drips a significant amount on my car. It's only the north side. The south side is totally dry. I originally thought it was the roof so I had a new one put on. It continued staying saturated and dripping so I called them back to look. They lifted the shingles on the garage, and underneath the felt paper and everything is bone dry. They redid the cap to face the opposite direction in case it was wind/rain related but that made no change. My thoughts are that water is seeping up through the cracks in the slab when it rains, evaporating, then forming condensation on the ceiling of the garage. The slab is definitely damp so I think this may be the issue. Since my slab is in such horrible shape, if it's beyond saving could I at least put some sort of sealant on the floor to try keeping the moisture out, or would that be a waste of time?

This isn't my forever home and I'm planning to use it as a rental in a couple years. I'm unsure about how much money I really want to put into it at this time.
>>
>>2793929
if you want cheap then you do not need whatsoever any hydraulic anything to shear or bend 1/8 aluminium, look at manual box/pan bender and shears for making boxes.
there are lots of configurations you can make at home with scraps, depends what you have lying aroumd
>>
>>2793971
>>
>>2793891
>>2793891
Nothing was plugged in though. Does that happen even if nothing is plugged in?
Also I've tested it and it only goes to that one outlet (which is unused.) Also I'm just kind of confused why there's a single 20 amp outlet (currently wired to a 15 amp duplex receptacle.) It's not near a countertop or anything. It's just in an empty spot where you'd probably put a small dining table. I want to replace the duplex receptacle style wise and I'm not quite sure what to replace it with or if it's even safe to use.
>>
>>2793936
Oops, replied twice to the same message. Meant to reply to this one simultaneously. Basically >>2794008
>>
>>2793971
That table looks ready for a complete refinish. Sand off the old finish, you'll need something aggressive. Then choose something new to apply, like polyurethane.
>>
Do shelves on a rug ruin the rug?
>>
>>2794008
There is wiring somewhere on the circuit that you are unaware of.
Fuses and breakers only trip when exposed to current that exceeds their rating.
Remove the fuse and find out what doesn't work.
>>
When I cut my hedges, I put down a tarp and then fold it up and put it into a trash can. The whole step of picking up a large tarp and maneuvering it to the trash can is pretty awkward. Is there a better way I can do this shit?
>>
>>2794008
Maybe it goes to something in the attic, maybe it goes somewhere else that you're not aware of. Did your refrigerator turn off? Something turned off that you're not noticing.
You have it in your head that the fuse blew because it's the wrong size fuse for the socket. Get that out of your head. That's not how it works. There is no electrical current flowing through the fuse if there is nothing on the circuit that it's protecting. The reason that fuses blow is because there is too much current passing through them.
SOMETHING is drawing over 15 amps on that circuit.
>>
>>2794117
There's shredding/mulching vacuum cleaners that .ighr be able to handle it. You could sweep/rake it into a line and shovel it into the trash
>>
File: rack.jpg (64 KB, 697x667)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
I've got one of these racks for my air fryer, and I want the easiest way to remove it from above. I was thinking of just getting some thin tongs and bending them outwards so they can lift the top from inside, but I don't know if there's an easier way.
>>
I am thinking of making my own window sill/stool as I only need one. Do I need to keep the expansion of wood in mind when mounting? How would I account for that?
>>
>>2794098
>>2794140
I live in a condo so there's no attic. I've literally tested every other outlet with that fuse removed. No other outlet is affected/seems to be on that circuit. I have no idea why the fuse blew but it didn't make sense to me what happened hence why I'm posting on here and trying to guess what's wrong.
>>
File: 240501-1110-471095233.jpg (220 KB, 1536x2048)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
I've replaced the waste pipe successfully and re-installed the loo. Now, I am completely unsure about repairing the wall and re-attaching the tiles. There has been a concrete reinforcement in there that I had to remove. Could anyone kindly walk me through this, please?
>>
>>2794173
Can you draw a picture of what you are planning?
>>
>>2794158
You can get these at Amazon or Walmart or wherever. Not expensive
>>
>>2794236
The problem with air fryers is that the size of the rack is essentially the same size as the pot, so there's no real space on the outside to get something in to grab the rack from the outside.
>>
File: volume knob.jpg (2.29 MB, 3024x4032)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
I went back and forth with some anon about getting rid of this sort of derelict volume knob in my wall. It connects to four speakers. At this point, I'm going to try to just make sure the speakers work before I get creative.

So I got an adapter that will let my laptop output to two banana jacks. I've got a banana jack wall plate I can put elsewhere. And I got some speaker wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RT2IAK . I was hoping I could take the ends off the speaker wire, wrap the copper around the input to the knob, and then chain that to my laptop. Thing is, the copper in these wires is like three times as thick as the shitty wire already going from knob to speaker. Should I even try tying this wire to the input screws? Am I retarded? Do I need some other sort of adapter thing? What am I missing?
>>
>>2794247
I might have answered my own question. It looks like the vintage knob wants input wire AWG between 20 and 14. The wire I bought is 12 AWG. Should I try it anyway? I've never touched audio stuff in my life.
>>
File: 20240501_113600.jpg (3.16 MB, 2774x2081)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
Should I fill cracks like these with plaster?
>>
File: IMG_2291.jpg (1.2 MB, 4032x3024)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
What is this? It’s mounted to the side of house. Looks like cover is missing.
>>
>>2794253
That looks like a strobe light.
I'm not sure what its purpose could be on the outside of a house.
Some kind of alarm I suspect.
>>
>>2789558
>Wilds Wirms and Dirt, formerly Squires
also no, don't fucking name your business for a Simpson's joke cum meme. It's cringe and fucking stupid.
>>
>>2789608
shelves to store steel scrap you steal from work
>>
>>2789732
1. don't use flex tube just use solid tube and 90º out of the house. check to make sure it's not clogging periodically
2. put a screen fence between the vent and coils s.t. your dryer fuzz doesn't get on the AC coils
3. be a fucking normal for a change and rinse the AC coils with a hose once a month during the 3 months you actually use it.
>>
>>2789828
pull behind brush and bag are pretty good actually. get one you can set depth of sweep or mod. you can go full lawn tractor vacuum with it's own small hp engine or pull behind vacuum off the lawn tractor deck but for one time it might be excessive, although if you have heavy leaf fall like I did back in the midwest it makes annual cleanup so fucking much easier.
>>
>>2789872
on a really cold night boiling water applied directly should do it. but nigger sparkplug is the way to go. be white and use a slingshot so you don't have to be next to the car.
>>
>>2790096
have you tried being uncut, you don't need lube that way.
>>
>>2790204
replace blade head with your own. you can make out of old circular saw blade or many other options used for homemade knives stock.
>>
>>2790367
clover lawn is popular for this. artificial turf is better.
>>
>>2790653
just double your deadbolts and reinforce the jamb. nothing will stop someone who wants to come through the door but this will slow them enough to unlock and load your firearms. yeah yeah you don't need to the point was make your wife fucking calm the fuck down right? reinforcing the hinges and back of the door are stupid fucking money because nobody is ever even considering going through the hinge side of an exterior door unless you have 7+ deadbolts.
>>
>>2790712
afik only catostrophically, e.g. you won't be able to get it back together. I would find an independant gunsmith in your area, it's exactly the kind of shit they are trained to deal with. anything beyond lube is going to fuck up your blueing.
>>
>>2790737
>get PET
>put a little acetone in it
>observe results
anything but ABS should be fine, but I'd start with whatever plastic the ATF is in and test the acetone as stated.
>>
>>2790967
in what world is this better than a honda generator?
>>
>>2790979
you can get solidworks from some airplane club for super cheap but really if you want more robust for free Fusion360 is the way to go. figure out how to do the 30 day trial instead of forever being a 10 piece cuck. regardless the free forever version has everything you are asking for so idk why you're asking in the first place.
>>
>>2792127
>able to open bottles
git gud there are 100 ways to open a bottle that don't involve any tool
>>
>>2792535
solder you dumbass. clean that shit up first.
>>
File: whytgh.jpg (1.49 MB, 1500x1000)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>2793684
>I was planning a feature wall with the OSB
why tho?
>>
>>2793902
freeze thaw can damage the seal, or use, or time. you can just take the handle off and replace the o-ring I think.
>>
>>2790967
>>2794271
Diesel generators are actually super popular when you get to larger generators. Pretty much every Walmart and major grocery store in Florida and major hotels and hospitals have big diesel generators. The ol’ Cat engines in those things are sweet. I’m not sure if it’s an accessibility thing or what for smaller generators, but it probably comes down to price for the <10kW generators, diesels always have high compression ratios and a high pressure fuel pump and it would turn a $500 generator into a $1500 generator for a basic 5000W home or camping non-inverter unit.
>>
>>2794158
salvage a piece of copper wire and roll little hooks into the ends. or if you want to be fancy make some tongs from bambu utensils, a joint on one end and notches to actually lift the basket.
>>
>>2794283
>or camping
and 100lbs into 300

>>2794253
do your lights com one automatically at night? I don't recognize that tube. what's it wired too?
>>
File: FJ4H7RIKJCUXU8V.jpg (297 KB, 2736x2280)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>2794232
Basically this wooden board sitting below the window
>>
>>2794215
>No other outlet is affected/seems to be on that circuit.
It doesn't have to be an outlet. It may be something like a small water heater that is hard-wired.
That's why I suggested removing it and seeing what doesn't work.
If it's a water heater, it won't be evident for some time.
Take the fuse out and leave it out until the use becomes evident.
>>
>>2794250
baseboard or trim
>>
>>2793850
if you push down on the handle it will lift up the front wheels, and then you can spin it in place on just the back two wheels
>>
>>2794253
>What is this?
>>2794257
>That looks like a strobe light.
Is correct.
Why it's there is anybody's guess.
>>
>>2794173
The wood would only expand in width, not length.
Cut it to fit into the opening without requiring force.
If it expands at all (unlikely) it will be toward the room.
(you're overthinking it)
>>
>>2789553
For a small bedroom (15x12) how can I level the floor for laminate? I took up the carpet and the floor is visibly not flat. Will a 6’ level be enough?
>>
>>2790604
o2 sensors measure the difference between the o2 content of the exhaust versus the outside air by exposing a specially doped platinum element to both, it should be putting off a max of ~1 volt when the exhaust has 0.5% or less of o2, and if the exhaust has 3% or more o2, the sensor puts off 0 volts. It might have 1 wire, 2 wires, 3 wires or 4 wires: 1 wire is signal; 2 wires is signal and ground; 3 wires is signal, ground and heater; 4 wires is signal, signal ground, heater, heater ground.

I saw a lot of /diy/ solutions for o2 sensor faking when researching hydroxy gas generators for cars maybe 12 years ago, guys wiring up AA batteries with rheostats, stuff like that.
>>
>>2789553
I'll just greentext
>Be me, retarded homeowner
>Want to sell house by owner next week
>Had big floods and part of the foundation on the garage started leaking about two weeks ago (ground level, attached to partially exposed basement)
>Found 2 holes behind shelving that had water leaking into the garage, about as much as a quarter open faucet
>Holes come in from the top, pic related
>Not a lot of water stands, just enough to put a dime thick layer of water on the ground
>Steel frame garage, no damage to wall above that I can tell
What's the best way for a retarded homeowner to patch the hole? I'm a mechanic and don't really mess with this stuff, but I'm kind of broke so I'd rather try to DIY this than hire a professional. What does /diy/ recommend? I extended the spout by about 2ft and while that helped it didn't mitigate.
>>
Can I use a stepper to directly compress an object without springs?

It's a metal shaft I'm going to be compressing a glued object to. I want to have the motor move the glued item along a rail until touches the shaft, then exert force continually for a minute.

Will this cause the motor to slip? Will this cause damage or loose pressure on the shaft?

I understand I can use springs, however this would be difficult as I would then need more linear guides for the spring action as to keep the glued item straight and evenly compressed along the shaft, which is narrow.

Right now keeping the rail tight with as little play is needed for the precision required, I understand pneumatic cylinders would be best for a constant even pressure, however that's just not possible.
>>
>>2794084
?
>>
>>2794330
you will never stop the water. patching the holes will only mean that the water will build up behind the wall even higher, and then it'll find new cracks or effloresce through.
you need to address the water saturated soil surrounding your wall. this means digging a french drain around the exterior perimeter or another similar drainage system.
>>
>>2794331
Technically it's yes with closed-loop force feedback, but might as well be impossible for a beginner. A stepper motor alone isn't enough, you need a controller with current sensing and/or a load cell.
You don't say if the object is compressible, this matters. You don't say how you're converting rotary motion into linear motion along a rail. Leadscrew? Draw a picture, what are you actually trying to accomplish?

A stepper motor isn't the right tool for precise application of force. You've already dismissed the use of springs and pneumatic cylinders, now it's time to dismiss stepper motors.
>>
>>2794322
>Will a 6’ level be enough?
Yes. It should be fine.
If you're uncertain, a string will reveal irregularities.
Flat is more important than level.
>>
>>2794319
Okay, thanks!
>>
>>2794365
I would like to couple a stepper directly to the scroll plate and have it clamp items at a relatively consistent pressure. Like pic related, but the stepper directly coupled to the 3d printed scroll plate.

My stepper drive has amp settings, I was wondering If I went low for the max current on it, and just ran the stepper until it started stalling; wouldn't this essentially always be at around the same clamping force? Or would it be pushing back from the resistive force each time it slipped?

The object is not compressible. These will be metal rods.

my chuck WILL BE 3d printed though, I was playing with the idea of compressible jaws through 3D printed circular structures. Knowing the diameter of the item to be clamped, I was thinking I could send the stepper to a specific position with the 3d printed jaw compressing upon the shaft.

PLA can be bent, the jaws would have removable heads with varying inner 'springs' (really just thin 3d printed arcs on either side that allow a small amount of compression, something like a millimeter or 2) with the stepper holding at its predetermined location. The compressive strength honestly doesn't need to be very strong, just consistent, these items will be vertically held for a short period then released
>>
>>2794279
It's a gym so practically the OSB would be good for fixing stuff.
>>
>>2794287
>and 100lbs into 300
True, but it would be dope to have a 10,000 hour generator.

Back at the boomer cul de sac, there was one Masshole guy who was back and forth and he somehow had a diesel generator in his garage. And the thing I forgot anout that, he had 60gal of diesel in storage no problem, it’s way easier to store than gasoline for long periods of time. Even if you get Rec 90 0% ethanol gasoline, you still have to figure out a way to deal with the vapor and quick evaporation, but diesel doesn’t have that issue.

Other neighbor has an F-150 with the generator/PTO option. That is pretty sweet, go idle your truck with a 25gal tank of fresh gas and plug it into the trasnfer switch panel.
>>
>>2794312
Once again I live in a condo. I don't have a water heater or anything hardwired including fire alarms or even a thermostat due to the age of my building. My heating is supplied by baseboard water pipes controlled by the superintendent. I'm not sure what other culprit there could be.
>>
What’s a good filler material for resecuring a galvanized screw into wood? The wood is a bed leg and is stripped out, the screw mounts into an adapter that becomes the attachment point for another bolt from the bedframe. Looked for a similar bolt with larger threads at the hardware store but could only find 1 size up and it won’t bite.
>>
>>2794373
>and just ran the stepper until it started stalling; wouldn't this essentially always be at around the same clamping force?
Yes that might work
>Or would it be pushing back from the resistive force each time it slipped?
It can "roll back" at most one half-step when unpowered, and that cogging action almost certainly won't have enough torque to loosen a tightened chuck.
>>
>>2794421
Wood epoxy putty (the one where it's like playdoh) or filling the hole with a wood glue and a dowel and redrilling. I've never had much luck with Bondo or the like for non superficial holes.
>>
>>2794421
hammer several chopstick pieces in the hole, then cut them off flush. drive the original screw back in the filled hole
>>
>>2794295
I would not be concerned about expansion. Just make sure it is secured to the framing.
>>
>>2793929
I saw this and thought of you anon. the first 10 seconds are golden.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9Ksml3Vmqzg
>>
>>2794330
the best way is to disclose it on your forms. the purchaser can ask you for remediation but probably won't.
>>
>>2794332
>>2794084
yes you didn't dig through that stack of 1000 rugs at Lowe's just to have the print covered partially by a shelf. it just RUINS the whole rug.
>>
>>2794316
>Why
someone deaf lived there
>>
>>2794566
Not an American, I don't know that shop. I am sure you are just shitposting anyway, but is not about covering the patterns, it is about if the quality of the rug would be damaged months or years after, when the shelf is moved. It is actually a very nice rug, but space in that room is tight.
>>
>>2791487
Retard. If thickness of pour didn’t affect reaction rate, you wouldn’t see thermal runaway in concrete and resin.
>>
>>2794462
Thanks, I was just being a bit paranoid.
>>
is there any science to a wood burning stove or can I just build a steel box with legs, a door and and a chimney?
>>
I have an Xbox and it turns off right after I power it on it makes this sound right after
Any idea what’s wrong with it?
https://voca.ro/172jnTvVAyRS
>>
>>2794597
Sounds like a /g/ problem to me. Also just google "xbox turns off after turning on"
>>
>>2794601
Tried problem was to vague there were like a hundred different similar but not similar enough responses I’ll ask /g/
>>
>>2794586
Updraft is the science

>>2794330
Dirt and or landscaping fabric outside

>>2794322
Flowable floor leveler

>>2794421
5 minute epoxy
Wait 20 minutes and drill a small hole in the still softish epoxy and put the screw in
Wait overnight before complete reassembly

>>2794582
You should have sealed the whole thing before putting it in

>>2794250
Shoe/toe molding

Trying to caulk a gap that big is a bad idea

>>2794229
You removed structural concrete???
You need to install something that creates lips you can attach the tile to.
If that's a dry wall, wood would work fine then use the more expensive construction adhesive to glue the edges of the tile to whatever you put in to attach them to

>>2793678
I would obviously use a 20 amp fuse
Kitchens need 2 20 amp circuits minimum.
I assume you're talking about the microwave or fridge outlet
You should use a 20 amp receptacle and a 20 amp fuse or it'll blow again

Fuses go bad over time for various reasons
Someone more adept at this than you obviously installed everything so just copy them blindly so you don't fuck it up
>>
>>2794606
>I would obviously use a 20 amp fuse
Kitchens need 2 20 amp circuits minimum.

I didn't know that. It has a 20 amp fuse, but it's a 15 amp duplex outlet.

>I assume you're talking about the microwave or fridge outlet

No, the fridge is on a diff outlet. This outlet is in a completely empty spot in the kitchen, not near any counters or shelves.

>You should use a 20 amp receptacle and a 20 amp fuse or it'll blow again

I have a 20 amp fuse in it, but whoever did the kitchen has that circuit hooked up to a 15 amp duplex receptacle. If I'm changing the style of the receptacles, should I keep it as a 15 amp duplex or change it to 20 amp single receptacle? I don't even own anything that can plug into the latter.

>Fuses go bad over time for various reasons

I tried it with a brand new 15 amp fuse twice before just sticking the 20 amp one back in.

>Someone more adept at this than you obviously installed everything so just copy them blindly so you don't fuck it up

Having already had to get an electrician to correct some of the outlets in this place, I'm not so sure about that. I'm just wondering if this is normal/something I can fix or if something fucky is going an I need to call as electrician again.
>>
>>2794568
it depends on what's underneath the rug, if it's soft then anything heavy with a small footprint is going to stretch the backing. If it's on a hard floor then the pile might be crushed but it'll lift up later, probably only noticeable if brand new and unpatterned.
>>
are there any steel places that offer shipping discounts/free shipping for orders over a certain amount? six 4' sections of 12ga 1-1/4" square tubing is like $180ish shipped but 1/3 of that is shipping. i don't know if that is a good price.

gonna run down to lowes and check their prices, but yea. the cheaper the better (im poor)
>>
>>2793684
Just end your OSB at a stud and then your drywall will be supported on both ends
If you actually have 1" gaps, I would fill with plaster of Paris or bonding type mud then tape

Doing the entire wall with OSB would be better
If you run them horizontally, offset the joints still

I assume you researched vapor barrier before starting

>>2793701
Depends on climate and construction
Here, we're supposed to house wrap outside and 6mil plastic inside
>>
>>2794215
And your dishwasher is working? All of the lights? Does the fuse have a label? SOMETHING is not on, other than an outlet with nothing plugged into it... there is NOTHING plugged into it, right anon?
>>
>>2794608
This is very simple.

That 20 amp fuse has a constant 15 Amos of current going through it. When you put a 15 amp in and it pops, that means there current flowing.

Any other assumptions younhave made about the wiring of the outlet are incorrect unless they match these facts.

Maybe the outlet is grounding out on the box or touching another, maybe there's a screw in the wires. I'd expect these to trio the 20 amp fuse too though. That you can't locate the consrant 15-19 amp draw is concerning. That's a lot of power. Your power bill.must be outrageous.
>>
File: powerbottom.png (600 KB, 1374x760)
600 KB
600 KB PNG
>>2793678
It's safe to put a 15A outlet on it. Leave the 20A fuse. question answered problem solved, ignore all the fucking susans who are sky is falling mode.
>>
File: that sounds logical.jpg (41 KB, 618x387)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>2794567
>>Why
>someone deaf lived there
>>
>>2794117
Put it directly into the trash can?
Or use a rake and rake and trash after instead of whole tarp. not less work but less at once.
I cut long branches put them end into the trash can then cut them off and drop the cutoffs into the trash can, I imagine this isn't what you're doing if you're shaping hedges e.g. tons of small shit.
>>
>>2794568
Put down a sheet of Plexiglass or other acrylic that is cut to fit under the shelf.
This will spread the pressure over the entire area of the shelf instead of any 'feet' or edges.
It would be similar to an office chair pad.
>>
>>2794666
I don't have a dishwasher. I only have a range and a fridge. The fridge and stove both work when the fuse is removed. The fusebox is unfortunately not labelled completely and nothing is plugged into the one receptacle that's on the 20 amp circuit. There's two other 15 amp duplex circuits in the kitchen near the counter if that helps. The 20 amp receptacle is in the furthest corner from the the sink and pipes.

>>2794672
Yeah, I get what you're saying which is whict is why I'm weirded out. I haven't noticed anything outrageous on my bill but I assume it might been like this since I've lived here so I won't have seen a noticeable jump.

>>2794676
Uhhh I suppose but I'm a bit paranoid about electric fires.
>>
>>2794757
Some retard could've run a cable to literally anywhere else in the house. Have you got an electric boiler? A basement stove? Underfloor heating?
>>
>>2794770
I live in a 50 year old condo. My unit is only one floor. There's no boiler, basement, attic, or underfloor heating. The closest thing to an HVAC or vent system is the bathroom vents. I've been systematically replacing all the receptacles from standard to decora and this circuit only seems to contain this one receptacle.

>Some retard could've run a cable to literally anywhere else in the house.

That is exactly what I'm worried about.
>>
>>2794798
Guess it's time to take the fuse out and wait for the angry neighbour to come asking why his hot tub isn't working anymore. Do you really need the outlet?
>>
>>2794799
I've suggested this two or three times.
His response is always, "Nothing else is on the circuit."
If it's using current I didn't know about, I'd disable it anyway.
Sooner or later, the load will be discovered.
>>
>>2794799
Well I would like to use it with my microwave since the other two receptacles are above the counter and I have limited counter space. I did plug a surge protector in it before and it died after a power outage which was a bit out to me since none of my other outlets and surge protectors were affected.
>>
>>2794806
I have made note of every single receptacle in my unit and I have checked with a multimeter. It's the only one that stops working when the fuse is removed. I feel like I'm going crazy or something.
>>
I'm a crossposter who knows very little about DIY. I'm looking at renovating a basement into a one-bedroom suite. The immediate things I'm looking at are ripping out all the carpet, putting in some kind of hard floor, and installing a kitchenette. No need for remodeling. For the floors, the reno guy I talked to today said I should just get LVP, which is tempting but also I'm concerned about it looking too cheap/shitty.

So, first question is, any immediate thoughts or opinions? And second, any resources I should look at for learning to do the easy bits myself? Even though most obvious resources, I literally do not know where to look other than blindly searching for stuff on youtube (also I tend to prefer reading materials to video)
>>
>>2794839
Are you braindead? Wire comes out of the fusebox. Wire runs to that one outlet, and also to mystery load. Mystery load can be anything, buried in a fucking wall anywhere. Why do you think the wire has to run to an outlet first for power to be consumed?
>>
File: 20240503_092729.jpg (2.64 MB, 4032x2268)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
Wtf is this and why is it in my upstairs bathroom? It's in s little nook between the shower. Is this supposed to be like this? Should I cover it somehow?
>>
File: 20240503_092809.jpg (2.86 MB, 4032x2268)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>2795068
It closed
>>
File: DSC05669.jpg (427 KB, 1280x960)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>2789553
I need to identify the item on the picture. I think it is a thermal bimetal fuse. It comes from a small electrc pump in a dishwasher. I think it is the culprit of the error of the dishwasher. But I cannot identifiy the correct name and specs of this thing. I googled the markings but couldn't find it. it reads "U H M" (the H in a diamond- like a brand logo), 01 115 5, B3161
Your autism and expertise is highly appreciated.
>>
>>2795068
>>2795070
Probably used to be a light or a fan is that big taped off thing on the side looks like a bathroom fan can fit in its

You might live in a slum. Does your bathroom have a window or a fan? It's supposed to have at least one.
>>
File: 20240502_205117.jpg (2.67 MB, 4032x3024)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
the magnetic clutch in my car's ac unit doesn't work. i drove two screws into the spring assembly to continuously drive the compressor. can i drive around like this until i have time to change it out or should i do this asap? do i even need to change it out anymore?
>>
>>2795155
The compressor cycles on and off to maintain the proper pressure in the system for the cooling needed.
You may end up with a blown hose on the high-pressure side or a frozen evaporator in the cabin.
How important that is, is up to you.

This thread has passed the bump limit.

A new thread has been posted here: >>2794873

It's time to transition to the new thread.
>>
>>2794984
Ok then how do I find the mystery load if it's buried in the wall, genius? Tear all my walls open?? I already said I live in a condo multiple times. I don't have anything that's hardwired. How about you learn to read?
>>
>>2795134
I have a fan that vents through the roof but not where this thing is. The tape is something I added so no water vapor gets inside

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.