[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: multi-cabin-property.jpg (1.02 MB, 1920x1280)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
What would be the best method of supplying wired internet to multiple buildings over say 10 acres of land spread out?
Not necessarily the cheapest nor the highest bandwidth, just running wire to different spots that are going to go through one isp bill?
>>
>>2789659
starlink
>>
>>2789659
How many buildings?

Probably ruggedized aerial fiber drops. And just run them all from the central switch. You probably want bidirectional sfp+ so you only need one fiber per house
>>
>>2789659
Regular CAT6* has a max run length of 100 meters. Depending how spread out the locations are, you should be fine with that and some repeaters. There's in-line ones that just take power from the ethernet cable itself. Not sure about weather resistance though, you'll probably want to sleeve them in some PVC pipe and bury it.
>>
I'd just run wireless with directional antennae.
>>
>>2789659
You can get super cheap fibre transceivers which will work infinitely better than copper ethernet, or use airfibre if you have line of sight.
>>
>>2789659
Long range 5GHz wifi is pretty good as long as you have LOS. Ethernet cable is cheapest and probably most reliable and easy to use option so long as the buildings are close enough. They make outdoor-rated ethernet cable.
>>
the cheapest is like t mobile
just teather to your laptop
get a cell phone extender if you need they are like 50 bucks
i just place my phone on my cabin wall and run my laptop on my jackery
also my parent run their phone on my signal

otherwise i have a brother in rural mexico
and he got that elon musk satelight
that thing is amazing
but itslike 200 a month and 700 for the satelight
but it runs gigabit
>>
i watch videos on my to mobile plan
>>
>>2789659
>>2789659
How is electricity distributed on the property? What’s the distance between the individual buildings?

If it’s a camping ground like in your pic I’d just run cat6 s/ftp through the ground. Depending on layout you may need just 2 switches/repeaters: one between the entry point and most central building, and one in the central building

>>2789661
Just curious why shouldnt op put it through the ground? Less work than putting up poles, no storm damage, easy to pull new cables.
>>
>>2789721
> If it’s a camping ground like in your pic I’d just run cat6 s/ftp through the ground.
Dumb idea. Potential differences will fuck you.

Use fiber. You can get premade armored cables with LC plugs already on them from the fiber chinks at FS. Multimode for individual link distances < 550m, single mode for up to 10Km with cheapo transceivers. Underground is going to cost you a pretty penny for all the trenching. If you do go with underground, you might want to lay the fiber in conduit and plan the occasional manhole so you can replace or add fiber if needed.

The aerial fiber >>2789661 suggested can be cheaper if you've already got utility poles to suspend it from and/or the buildings are close enough. If you need to put up a significant amount of fiber carrying infrastructure, it's not going to be much cheaper than underground, if at all.

In both cases you'll spend a couple of bucks on a media converter or switch with SFP ports in every building, so take that into account as well.

If possible, use a ring topology with spanning tree protocol so any one interruption won't bring the network down. Drawback: that'll require a switch with at least two SFP slots in every building along the ring.
>>
>>2789725
> Dumb idea. Potential differences will fuck you.
Care to explain this? Ethernet wired are isolated and would there be potential differences anyway?

I imagine OPs property as a living community or campsite and chalets on such small sites don’t tend to have individual power supply at least not where I live
>>
>>2789727
Different elevation can cause potential differences already. Ethernet wires are insulated but if they do provide a conducting path between locations with different potential, current will flow.

On some occasions I feel a bit of a tingle even when connecting S/FTP in the same building but at different elevations. These are the occasions where I ground the patch panel early. Usually it's merely annoying but from time to time you can get unlucky and get a bigger current grounding out through whoever touches the network equipment. Also, current that isn't necessarily harmful to humans can fry electronics.

You can mitigate most such problems by grounding the cable's shielding right where it enters each building, but fiber eliminates these problems completely.
>>
>>2789721
It'd be cheaper.

You.can also just nail them into trees, and do like a 300 ft span.

The fibers are going to be impervious to any weather except like a pretty large tree branch falling on them.
>>
>>2789727
Any electrical that's outside a building for more than 60-100ft needs a gas-tube lightning arrestor on it and <25ohm ground electrode and mgn bond. This is an extra $50 per drop.

I guess a ring might save costs and even be more fault tolerant, I was thinking individual fibers to each building.
>>
>>2789752
Derp
>>
>>2789659
telephone wires can be used to carry internet
>>
P2P wireless….DUH
>>
>>2789661
OP here.
>>2789661
>How many buildings?
None. There's a water meter and that's it right now. Unimproved land. Near a paved road and with neighbors so not too rural it would be a hassle.
My family is buying the land and we're brainstorming. I think we're going to put up a small barndonium at first, electric and septic. I'm just thinking long term because we will build multiple structures spread out over time. Both to live on and possibly run some airbnb to help pay for everything.

Would wireless extenders at points be a decent speed? The lot is pretty flat so LOS wouldn't be an issue. But it seems like running cable along with whatever future electrical extensions might be a better long term decision.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm getting too old and want to get the hell outta Dodge and innawoods in the next few years.
>>
File: pipe_cutter.jpg (277 KB, 2560x1751)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>2789898
>I'm just thinking long term because we will build multiple structures spread out over time.
That description sounds like you'll eventually buy a digger anyway. So lay underground fiber, in conduit once you have one.

For conduit, I like to use large bore (40mm outside diameter which works out to ~33mm inside) underground PE water pipe because it can take one hell of a beating and forces you to make gentle bends (easier to work with than sharp 90 degree bends when pulling fiber). It's a bit of a bitch to lay on account of being very stiff but it's worth it. Use a pipe cutter (pic related) to cut them cleanly. There are cable gland like double fittings you can use to securely connect pipes in the ground.

>Would wireless extenders at points be a decent speed? The lot is pretty flat so LOS wouldn't be an issue.
Forget about that. It'll be unreliable as fuck. If you need wireless, put it up locally and connect it to the upstream network through fiber (and/or copper once you get to wiring up things inside buildings).

>But it seems like running cable along with whatever future electrical extensions might be a better long term decision.
Absolutely. I'd keep electrical and fiber in separate conduits though. Otherwise it'll get very crowded in there and that last minute addition you meant to pull through there will no longer fit ;-)
>>
>>2789907
>That description sounds like you'll eventually buy a digger anyway.
Probably not buy one but will need one at some point. We're just going to get one home base set up and work on it from there over the next several years as we all can afford it. We have extended family in the area who know everyone else and can get access to equipment, better deals etc. So right now it's just the basics like a side-by-side mower for a ATV and have someone nearby maintain it until one of us (most likely me) can move and work on it full time.
I'm just the only one who thinks ahead for shit like this. Stuff to make it easier to expand.
>>
>>2789659

Use wireless bridges.
>>
>>2790060

cont.

https://youtu.be/7nTgQQbF9zo?si=UMgXQRykb8ihQpNz
>>
>>2789659
Directional wireless. It's actually pretty good these days and not hard to get.
>>
>>2789659
fiber. media converters are not that expensive.
using copper will risk a lightning strike fucking all your shit right up and distance could possibly be a problem
wireless sucks and for something actually reliable and high distance enough it might cost far more
>>
>>2789659
Whatever you do, always start at the highest point. Bits are very heavy and it's hard to push them up hill
>>
>>2791328
>wireless sucks and for something actually reliable and high distance enough it might cost far more

Best to ask /g/ and of course on real tech sites, not just 4chan, because campground wireless is a solved problem.
>>
I just put in a LC singlemode fiber run b/w my house and garage. I used a $120 black and decker edger that can cut trenches and direct buried the fiber into the yard. How long will it hold up? who cares! I think I'm like $250 all in on all the components including SFP+ modules and a new switch on the garage side.
>>
>>2791975
Based edger trick
>>
>>2791975
>How long will it hold up?
Not very long (3-5 years) because fiber is sensitive to moisture and at that sum total you didn't spend enough on the fiber to get direct burial rated outdoor cable that'll protect the fiber from moisture. Moisture will turn it opaque enough to fuck up the signal eventually. If you spend about $30-50 more next time to get that sort of fiber, it's probably going to outlast you (barring some sort of digging accident where you sever it).
>>
Yep and that is exactly my plan. 3 years would be great. Might run conduit next time idk.

Also have a fun 500' run through the woods I did with cat5. I didn't even run it on the ground, I just put a heavy weight on the cable and tossed it to where I needed it. The only precaution I took was installing gas discharge surge protectors on each end. Which will die first, the fiber or the cat5?!?!
>>
>>2789659
I would do point-to-multipoint or point-to-point radio bridges, depending on how many buildings and their layout, how much speed you need, the surrounding radio interference, and what your fresnel clearance looks like, you have several frequency options.

900MHz is going to be your best bet for punching through trees, but the speeds can be limited.
>>
>>2791328
My buddy uses a 20km ptp wireless link from his house in the woods (on a radio tower) to town for internet and yes it actually is reliable. But you do have to use commercial equipment, not some dogshit wifi meant for retail customers.
>>
>>2789659
get 10 acres of internet wire

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.