[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ac1tl8ajyem51.jpg (172 KB, 1792x828)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>We're going to test that!
>>
Todd is my favorite autist on Youtube.
>>
>makes useless tests and skews results for certain brands
Nah, go fuck yourself
>>
File: IMG_5808.jpg (550 KB, 960x1280)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>2790596
Nah, the Eagle Grips are really that good. Gearwrench too!
>>
>>2790596
this, most if not all of his tests are "laboratory" tests where individual aspects are tested in a vacuum and not in tandem like how they would be in real life use. he appeals to reddit and boomers because its muh heckin scienceroonie and boomers dont have critical thinking skills
>>
>>2790763
So what? RC hardness tests, for example, give you a pretty good idea of how hard a knife blade is for edge durability.
>>
File: copeforewomen.jpg (64 KB, 501x714)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2790474
I like his videos but he talk WAY too fast.

sometimes I just skip to the graphs since I don't need to see all the testing.

>>2790596
pic related is for you.
>>
>>2790763
translation:
>my brand turned out to be shit and my butthurts REAL bad now.
>>
>>2790474
his video about windshield wipers was correct The ones he reported last the longest do.

TLDR really expensive windshield wiper blades last longer.
>>
>>2790803
I watch all youtube videos on 1.25 or 1.5x speed and his are still fine sped up.
>>
>>2790763
>>2790596
It’s just entertainment you morons. It’s not le heck in’ science, go somewhere else for that.
>>
>>2790813
I find his fast talking so annoying I often stop watching the videos if I have no interest in the product.

how impatient are you? I like youtubers who talk normal, and don't do jump cuts to remove pauses and flubs. some of my favorite channels have very long videos:
mustie1
Vice grip garage
Shango066
I often put them on while doing other things. It's relaxing and I like to hear when people reminisce. I usually avoid fast talkers and people who talk with that odd youtube voice.

the where there is an emphasis on the last WORD.

when they do it every TIME.

it's extremely ANNOYING.
>>
>>2790820
>there is an emphasis on the last WORD.
>when they do it every TIME.

post some examples, I need a good laugh. And as for OP's gerbil, about 2 minutes of that chirping and my head esplode.
>>
>>2790820

He's my favorite autist, simple as.
>>
>>2790823
well this sucks I had an example and can't find it. it was a channel that had something to do with star wars or movies.
>>
>>2790838
This. He tries. If any of ya fags tried to do the same thing on a Patreon budget, they would be far more shitty than Todd.

Would be cool to see real scientific studies done multiple times so you don’t get one bad batch of a certain tool, but I don’t see UC Santa Barbara’s engineering and material sciences department putting out results of their brand point drill bet tests.
>>
>>2790823
ok so here is an example but not the video I was looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZMy_JWsOU
https://youtu.be/z756L_CkakU
>>
>>2790823
https://youtu.be/R9RLvYaSnFw
>>
I can't wait for his tampon test video.
>>
>>2790932
>his tampon test video
Poor Cousin Eddie...
>>
>>2790804
>t. salty boomer that slavishly buys whatever his youtuber tells him to buy
>>
File: projecting.jpg (58 KB, 870x729)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>2790987
>>
>>2790932
Made for a woman, butt strong enough for a man!
>>
>>2790474
He's allright, the only suspect reviews I fond is ltt screwdriver and the olsa ratchet.
>ltt for obvious reason
>olsa because that's not a tool company, they only sell re-brands
>>
sometimes I find aspects of his tests to be asinine, like using a hydraulic press to crush diagonal cutters to failure doesn't really tell you any genuinely useful information, nobody is clamping their cutters into place and jumping up and down on the handles to try and cut god knows what in the field, knowing that BRAND X experiences failure 100lbs sooner than brand Y when both failed at 400+ pounds is just not useful knowledge in any particular capacity

I wanted to replace my old dull klein diagonal cutters. I've already sharpened their edge with a file a few times through my life, and now there's a slight visible gap in the jaws when closed. so I watched his video on those and it clearly demonstrated that the channellock high leverage design resulted in lower required force for all PRACTICAL applications, at the consequence of a much lower failure load than other brands, but what kind of moron is out there cutting drill bits in half all day with their cutters? So I picked up a new pair of channellock cutters and I've been happy with them.
>>
File: 1703803422621784.jpg (62 KB, 504x540)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>2790474
his voice and high speed yapping make me want to test out drill bits in my earholes
>>
>>2791291
>ltt for obvious reason
I watched that and didn't see anything suspect in his testing methods that seemed like he was favoring the LTT driver over any of the other brands, what do you mean?
>>
>>2790474
Eh a lot of the tests don’t really translate to real world scenarios

Cheater pipe on a ratchet, the bend resistance of a screw driver shaft while prying etc is some real Mexican tier shit

A a lot of the cheaper tools perform well but in the real world aren’t all that good tools
>>
>>2790596
Baseless retard
>>
>>2791291
I’m not sure if that Olsa brand is straight rebrands. They have a few designs I haven’t seen anwhere else. Pic related only seems to come from them, and they have stubby flex head combination wrenches with a 6pt ratcheting end and a V-cut open end, you don’t see those from anybody else either.

Maybe some autist dug into them, but they could be like a Tekton trying to grow by investing some money into new designs coming from a Taiwan factory, or maybe it’s like VIM which was quietly doing a ton of private label stuff for many years before popping up with their own lines.

There’s a lot of brands who don’t really manufacture shit themselves, they just spec it out to order from Asian factories. Some of it is straight rebranded generic stuff, but Olsa has some original products which means they have money to get the custom tooling for it coming from somewhere.
>>
>>2791314
>doesn't really tell you any genuinely useful information
of course it does, it proves that just about any diagonal cutters are pretty good.

>>2791495
>A a lot of the cheaper tools perform well but in the real world aren’t all that good tools
that is some nuclear powered cope there.
>>
File: mp.jpg (47 KB, 640x640)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2793051
White label Cheng even arranged them in the same way for stock photo.
>>
>>2790820
shango is a fun watch, but i skip past the parts where he's fixed the widget and tunes into some awful american broadcast
i get that it's a social commentary but ten minutes of crap erase or presidontal lecturn is a lifetime's supply thanks
>>
>>2791321
>his testing methods that seemed like he was favoring the LTT driver
You just pick testing methods that will be favorable to the tool you want to come out favorable.
But a lot of his tests have questionable real world applications, so it might be as simple as that, autism instead of malice.
The whole premise of pc building/tech optimized ratcheting multi bit screwdriver is retarded.
>>
>>2793240
That brand has em too now? That’s another one of those new Amazon sellers that has some of the better random Asian stuff, not the cheapest Chinesium.

Picrel is the ratcheting wrenches I was talking about. Even if they are jusr another Asian seller, they seem to be selling stuff to a little bit higher spec than most of thise Amazon brands.

I wouldn’t order from em for anything more than like $20. When I was looking a little more, that Olsa Tools store was pushing pretty hard a couple years ago with more new tools and they have kinda fallen off.

The one brand that pops up on Amazon a lot and looks somewhat legit is that Capri brand. Not sure what fat tool den guy says, but they might be trying to become the next Tekton.
>>
>>2793279
>Picrel is the ratcheting wrenches
I suppose if you have a bepis tier toolset you could always throw those in, but I've been working on cars and trucks for 30 years and I doubt if I ever needed a stubby wrench. Same goes for crows foot. I'm sure there are stupid designs that require those, but a normal set of ratchets, sockets, box and open end wrenches can do just about anything; once in a blue moon a u-joint is needed.
>>
File: picrel.png (122 KB, 578x554)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
>>2793279
Anon with Chengs resellers, buy from the one that offers good warranty.
Olsa has some tools fairly priced, if you want for example to buy the Cheng USA SK, 90 tooth ratchet PF reviewed from them, it costs the same as buying the SK lucky tool brand one.
Some of their tools are overpriced, like picrel sprag "ratchets", they price them 2x of what they go from other Cheng resellers.
And yes they are exactly the same besides branding, and they are shit regardless of brand, avoid.
>>
>>2793281
I have yet to buy stubbies for the same reason. I don’t know why they’re offered so widely.

The Olsa full length flex heads are the same, 6pt with those goofy grooves and the V-cut
>>
>>2793281
>>2793410
I bought a set of cheap stubbies specifically for fucking with my air compressor, it's a vertical 60 gallon and the motor and compressor are crammed together atop it with little clearance. there are multiple bolts and fittings that require a stubby or crows foot to access. Only example I've got, but I guess I'm glad cheap options are out there compared to them being obscure and overpriced
>>
>>2790474
Whenever I want to make myself mad I go watch his long nose plier video again. Jesus fucking christ if there's a vid he needs to remake it's that one. half the fucking video was testing the cutters, he didn't do a lateral pull test THE MOST IMPORTANT TEST, and the twist-force test I think was flawed

I'm going to build my own fucking pull-test rig and test the long nose pliers I own just because I'm fucking upset about it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.