[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So I was wondering how difficult this dream deck/"treehouse" would be to DIY? My property is next to a steep canyon and I always wanted to place an access deck around the oak tree in my backyard. It's 80+ years old so I'm terrified of permanently killing it. The slope is not vertical but nearly, and the actual tree is a lot smaller than the image.

I calculated the cost and it will be roughly 20-30k in materials. If I can even find a professional who would bother to do this I'd expect it to cost 100k+

So my question is based off the concept image, is this feasible to attempt DIY? Or am I being way too optimistic?
>>
This is a better example of the concept
>>
Erosion would be your downfall I think. You'd have to have the footers going so deep it would probably be impractical. I would certainly get an engineer involved and not just hope for the best
>>
>>2792922
those types of hills get landslides all the time. hope you have some damn good pylons.
>>
File: IMG_3149.jpg (514 KB, 865x1157)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
My cabin on Lake Of The Ozarks since 82
>>
>>2792928
>>2792972
Do you think I can find a pro who would touch it? I can raise the money someday, I just don't know if anyone is down to go into a rural wash to start building.

>>2792989
Gorgeous
>>
>>2793044
Sure you could definitely hire a contractor, I think you would also just have to hire an engineer or some kind of Geotechnical expert to tell you the conditions of your soil and what would be needed to build it to last
>>
>>2793083
>>2792972
>>2792928
don't listen to these faggot red tapers, build what you want to build and throw caution to the wind. Faustian spirit
>>
>>2793114
the problem is if you send it and its sitting on top of a sinkhole your kind of up shits creek
>>
>>2793114
insurance won't cover some stuff if you ignore the red tape
>>
>>2793114
Post similar things YOU have personally built instead of just nolling like a trigger.
>>
>>2793354
I have never built anything, you mad?
>>
File: Builttofail.jpg (141 KB, 1096x533)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>2793114
That was the inspiration for this building as well. Its fookin 2' from the cliff edge.
>>
>>2793371
it lasted well over 200 years and it's not exactly buckingham palace, so your point is rather silly.
>>
>>2793114
Im more worried about the tree itself
>>
File: homosexual-and-gay.png (2.53 MB, 1115x987)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB PNG
>>2792922
you will kill yourself anon. go to the contractortalk forums and read the deckbuilders section. you will see that you do not know what you are doing and will kill yourself. hire a profesisonal. decks kill people who dont' know how ot build.
>>
>>2793362
No but you just admitted your opinion is worthless.
>>
>>2792922
That would be fucking easy as shit and for 100k id more than gladly buy a flight to your country and build it for you wven though im not a carpenter but a bricklayer.
You can also do it but you have to stop being scare about not knowing some secret of a trade, ALL electricians are suerbly retarded with no exceptions and their work looks like magic to non electrocians, you know why? Because just the basic rules of the trade account for 90% of success so if youre really passionate about it jusg read a carpenter education book beforehand.
>>
>>2792924
I am an architect i can plan it for you in a way that you can easily do it yourself
>>
>>2792972
>>2792928
How do you think our ancient castles on the mountain top along steep edges and places like picrel still stand?
>>
>>2793114
I agree with you tho it should not be underestimated, it seems those guys think buildings rest on topsoil, kek
>>
>>2793323
>red tape
Can you explain that expression to a germanon?
Captcha: YTA x2 kek
>>
>>2793354
Im not that anon but i once renovated a house that was built in 1604 on a hillside, the medieval carpenters did not have a equal height footing and so cut all standing beams different heights, now the groundfloor was sloped and the first flloor was level, you had to crouch if you walked uphill in that house, and the foundation was made of an assortment of river and field stones thrown into the ground. And if you say we get the flood of a century EVERY century..
>>
>>2794585
Nigger its an ai inage, you cant discus carpentry details inferred from it, obviously its fake and gay.
>>
>>2795017
Obtuse regulation, aka your entire society
>>
>>2795018
should've just torn it down and threw up a modular home with a nice seacan in the yard
>>
>>2794585
he's asking how to make a proper plan or drawup of the deck based off the images, not how to build the images
major difference
>>
>>2793323
our ancestors didn't have 'insurance' and managed to build homes and even survive in them. crazy, right?
>>
File: 2024-05-10 11.16.57.jpg (1.31 MB, 2016x1512)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>2792922
It's not all too difficult is you really know what you're doing. Like how to work out what you're loads are, and how to get those loads transferred properly through the structure to the load/bearing points. If you don't have much experience with it, I would heavily recommend you work with a structural engineer to get everything figured out.

This is a deck I built off the back of my shop/office about 15 years ago. While it looks precarious as fuck, with the size of the components and how they're attached, it's designed to support 3x the amount of weight it's ever likely to experience and is absolutely rock solid. I've had people that absolutely refuse to go on it, but I could park a 10k lb dumptruck on it and it wouldn't budge.

In your particular scenario there are a couple other things that I should mention. First, do not use a tree as any part of the structure. Not only because you can't really determine what the load bearing capacity of a tree is, but also because trees move and grow. What might be fine as an anchor point for the structure now could be ripping the structure apart in 5 or 10 years as the tree grows.

Second, if you're going to build this on a cliffside you need to verify the security of any rock structure it may be attached to. You could have a big section of rock face that could be fine on its own but fall away from adding a cantilevered deck load to it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.