[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2020341.jpg (511 KB, 739x1408)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
Is this old boomer vacuum worth spending money on?
It works great
Bags are expensive like $10/each and they say to replace every 3 months but theyre huge and i just leave them until theyre full like over a year
The hose is mostly good but the switch is worn which is probably an easy fix but i consider getting all new hose and attachments because for some reason nothing here really seems to fit with each other
I mean you can make it work but its all mismatched and nothing clicks in you have to kind of hold it all together
Idk the house was an estate sale maybe the family took all the good parts?
>>
File: 2024-05-01 09.13.08.jpg (2 MB, 3316x2476)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Buy a new hose/wand/head set so that everything works/fits with everything. And if you can't find a hose with the right contact pattern for the socket you can just bypass that with a switch.

Hell you can even make your own central vac with a shop vac, some PVC pipe, and a switch at each outlet, which is what I did in my office/shop.
>>
>>2794171
If it's old, it sucks.
If it sucks, it's good.
>>
>>2794212
If you DIY anyway why not add a cyclonic separator and never have to buy bags/filters?
>>
>>2794417
I think you still need bags but a lot less frequently.

>>2794171
If it works with a new switch and you do any woodworking, that’s not a bad find. Once you sand a couple times in the garage with a car parked in there, you will understand what I mean.
>>
>>2794417
That and interpose a panty hose leg between dust and bag. It's an ancient shop vac trick I've used for decades. I collect used shop vacs to scatter about my shops and have never had to replace a filter so protected. I also use one to line my Makita handheld.
>>
>>2794417
>never have to buy bags/filters
Nah, fuck the filter jew. It has the same filter in it that it had when I put it in like 7 years ago. I just blast the shit out of it with compressed air one or twice a year and it works fine.
>>
>>2794171
The in house system in my 93 had a fucking huge ass vacuum unit twice as big and twice as heavy as a regular vacuum had to be drug around room to room. I briefly considered making the garage main unit a dedicated garage vacuum on a manual switch with normal shop vac accessories but it took such a fuck ton of space on the wall so I just ripped it out and got rid of it.
>>
Since this is a sucky thread, which new shop vacuums suck the least while also sucking the most? I want something industrial quality. No flimsy little casters, good flexible quality hose. Not fuckall huge, but around 4-8 gallon capacity so it doesnt take up all the damn room. Good way to store accessories and extensions so they are easily accessible and not in the way... You get where I'm going with this.
>>
>>2794703
Can’t speak to the “industrial quality” but I have been pleased with this rigid. It’s a unique form factor which makes storing all the associated bullshit easy. Having the shit collect in something that can be dumped without inverting the whole thing is nice too.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/11-gal-smart-cart-wet-dry-vac
>>
>>2794703
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Shop-Vacuum-12-gal-Tank-Size-61HV86
>>
>>2794703
starmix

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.