[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240502_003207.jpg (2.79 MB, 4032x3024)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
I just bought this shower rough in valve from amazon and i noticed the water flow is restricted by this much smaller hole on the NPT ports.

Wouldn't this massively reduce pressure?
Are all shower valves like this?
Should I return it?
>>
Should be plenty big assuming you have adequate water pressure. That hole is a larger area than the sum of all the holes in a normal shower head.
>>
Decreasing flow volume increases pressure
>>
>>2794556
>reduce pressure
Yes....kinda.
>reduce velocity
No

Yeah just return it. That's gay.
>>
>>2794663
No. Decrease in volume (space) increases velocity. Bernoulli principle. Technically dame pressure....kinda...in a way. Idk man physics is weird.
>>
>>2794556
They're all like that now. It's not a defective, it's califprnia and EU water laws to make us hate our lives
>>
>>2794678
Probably this, everything is fucking low flow these days.

>>2794674
>>2794663
Nah, this is the real world, not first semester physics. A restriction at the valve means ass for water pressure at the shower head.
>>
File: moen 1200.jpg (272 KB, 2100x2100)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>2794686
>A restriction at the valve means ass for water pressure at the shower head.
It probably doesn't matter. Many of valves or cartridges already have small holes and they work just fine. Pic related.
>>
so nobody knows for sure?
>>
>>2794912
>Wouldn't this massively reduce pressure?
no
>Are all shower valves like this?
a lot of them are, but not all
>Should I return it?
no, what would be the point?

That valve is adequate for its purpose and hundreds of millions of others like it are doing just fine.
>>
>>2794937
>no
Why? It's a smaller hole.
>a lot of them are, but not all
Why do they do this?
>>
Drill it out a bit. I did that to the showerhead I bought and it was a great choice. That thing blasts. Fuck the water bill. notmyproblem.bmp
>>
>>2794556
Just buy a valve thats not designed for showers, or one that has a little plastic insert flow reducer instead. Those can be removed.
>>
>>2794674
The Bernoulli principle requires laminar flow which this will clearly not have.
>>
>>2794556
Looks bigger than the hole in the valve of a standard garden hose faucet aka stopcock so this should be able to blast the user with the intensity of the average garden hose.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.