[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My bikes back tire is not running smoothly and the rim, where the breaks grind against is apparently worn out, according to my bicycle fixing neighbor. Now, I'm stuck at the crossroads: should I try and fix it myself or go to a shop?

I could go to a shop who would order a new rim and reuse the old spokes. You apparently need a machine they have to install them in a way that the wheel doesn't end up wobbling and runs smoothly.

Option 2: Take matters into my own hands, order a full tire from the Internet and give it a shot myself.

Not too sure what I'm getting myself into, what would end up being cheaper and what I have to keep in mind. Any constructive comments appreciated
>>
>>2794695
>breaks
>the rim is worn out
I suspect you're retarded. Are the pads worn? Do they scrape when you ride? Not stop? There is about a 0% chance it's your rim unless you bent the fuck out of ands and visibly damaged. The tire has fucking ZERO to do with the "breaks". Take a picture, describe what's actually the problem instead of fucktarded imaginings of what your neighbor meant and then fuck off to >>>/n/
>>
Get a spoke wrench and re-true it on the bike. Look up a youtube video. It's a long process so get comfortable. Rig up your bench vise to hold the bike without damaging it.

Or, drop $200 on a new set of wheels, get the same exact size. Aluminum wheels are an upgrade from steel.
>>
>>2794695
Wheel balancing is a pain, but doable. The better option is to use disc brakes instead of turning your entire wheel into a disposable part
>>
>>2795133
>turning your entire wheel into a disposable part
I've ridden many a mile with the old style caliper brakes and never saw the tiniest bit of wear or damage to my rims. On the other hand, if you are a moron like OP and somehow have your "breaks" grinding against your rim, anything is possible.
>>
>>2795139
Rim brake wheelsets are built with wear indicators. They are the rotor, though there's a lot more material to wear down

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.