[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6268.jpg (2.62 MB, 3024x4032)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
So I bought a HP OMEN 16-b0509la gayming laptop, installed linux on it and set a BIOS password (so in case it got stolen it would become useless) and left the laptop collect dust for a week (I use my job laptop to do most things, I hated how noisy this one was and life happened), and, guess what, I forgot the BIOS password. None of the methods available have helped me recover it. I even flashed a couple of newer BIOS (with the win+b+power combo) just in case I could make it glitch or something or something but that was unsuccessful.

The closest thing I've found (I assume) was this thread:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubleshooting-hardware-devices-and-electronics-theory/troubleshooting-laptops-tablets-and-mobile-devices/bios-requests-only/3245771
They basically mod the EEPROM(?) or the BIOS program itself, I suppose.
Another thing I found previously was this script in the "HP BIOS unlock tool" thread of the same forum:
https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubleshooting-hardware-devices-and-electronics-theory/troubleshooting-laptops-tablets-and-mobile-devices/bios-requests-only/91264/page51#post1561655
I already bought a CH341A programmer, and the test clip is coming from china (I live in a small town so electronics chink shit is faster and cheaper for me than buying local).

Is this what I need? How do I find the correct chip to dump and modify the password, and how do I use the CH341A programmer? Do you guys know other newer/more advanced methods to clear the BIOS password I can try before disassembling the laptop?

>inb4 jamal
Please, help me /diy/, at least give me some pointers. I feel like I'm pretty advanced in my research so far (it's been months. This is only a summary of what I've found) but I don't want to fry the chip/mobo. I tried contacting HP but they were completely useless. They told me to take it to the authorized local tech service, and they wanted me to pay $100 to diagnose it lmao.

Pic related is the menu I get when it boots (not my pic)
>>
>>2824902
give it back tyrone
>>
>>2824902
>>>/g/
>>
>>2824908
The last time I asked /g/ they were completely useless lmao
>>
>>2824902
Return it to manufacturer with proof of purchase. I'm sure they got some program for it
>>
>>2824928
Try reading again. I already did and they didn't care. Also, I contacted them a couple of months before the warranty expired, and it's out of warranty now.
>>
>>2824902
Says here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLzWW9Ot6I that HP has an online BIOS cracker. You just input the failure code. If that's true, it's a staggeringly big security breach, but it sounds like some goofy shit that HP would pull.
>>
>>2824934
That won't work. None of those online crackers works. This one won't even show any codes after entering invalid passwords, only some text asking for "HP SpareKey Recovery" (which seems to be a way to save some key file to a USB drive... Which of course I didn't do). This is a completely different system.
>>
>>2824902
> How do I find the correct chip to dump
It’s in the first link you posted, QH128AHIG

> and modify the password
The script depending on bios version searches for the word ‘userCred’ or ‘biosUser’ and replaces some bytes near it with zeros and some with 255’s to remove the password. It’s from some decompiler so it’s spaghetti code and I can’t be bothered to analyse what exactly it replaces.

> and how do I use the CH341A programmer?
There are manuals for it
>>
>>2824902
> I tried contacting HP but they were completely useless. They told me to take it to the authorized local tech service, and they wanted me to pay $100 to diagnose it lmao.
I have a hard time believing this. We have hp at work and they are VERY eager to replace the entire main board when someone forgets it because that, apparently, is their go-to solution for lost boot passwords. But for us it’s easier to prove ownership ofc
>>
Thanks for your inputs.

>>2824937
>It’s in the first link you posted, QH128AHIG
That's not the one for my laptop. I posted a link for a different model.
The chip in mine seems to be MX25L12850F.

>The script depending on bios version searches for the word ‘userCred’ or ‘biosUser’ and replaces some bytes near it with zeros and some with 255’s to remove the password
I know how to program, I know how to read the script and I know what it does.
My question is whether it would work for this specific model/line of laptops. There are MANY models and variants out there.

>>2824938
>We have hp at work
AFAIK, business customers are treated differently from retail customers. And even then, businesses pay a LOT of money to get that shit fixed...
>>
>>2824902
give it back biggie shits.
>>
>>2824941
I paid for it, faggot.
HP is a useless, scummy company, and has always been. They either leave their laptops wide open or make it almost impossible for owners to unlock and overcharge out of the ass just because they can.
>>
noob error

> first day on the internet
>>
>>2824940
>The chip in mine seems to be MX25L12850F.
BTW, I found the spec sheet for this chip:
https://www.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/Attachments/9023/MX77L12850F,%203V,%20128Mb,%20v1.3.pdf

>>2824964
Nah m8, I work in tech lmao. I did this shit at night and got distracted.
>>
>>2824902
>installed linux on his laptop
>I use my job laptop to do most things
Many such cases
>>
>>2824902
Did you try pulling the batteries and the bios reset, Jamal?
>>
>>2824993
I did, multiple times.
>>
>>2824902
I had this recently with a corporate Dell Latitude.

I held onto the laptop for over a year and considered buying a refurb mobo. I did some research, and apparently Dell laptops have backdoored recovery codes that Dell maintains just in case. You have to perform a warranty transfer and get seller's authorization to prove ownership. No luck there obviously.

Eventually said fuck it and bought one of the bypass recovery code postings on eBay for like $100. It actually fucking worked, I have no idea how/why. Maybe an internal employee at Dell, maybe someone cracked the algo. Regardless, it worked.

I wouldn't waste your time fucking with trying to reprogram the chips. Check eBay and see if anyone is selling recovery codes. HP might operate differently though, idk.
>>
>>2824977
> works in tech

A touchscreen at McDonalds where you punch in orders?
>>
>>2825019
I work in security. OSes and BIOSes aren't really my thing, though
>>
>>2825050
> work in tech
> acquire flash memory programmer
> find out correct flash chip
> clueless what to do

Get the contents from the chip and analyse or post them. Maybe there’s a hint, maybe you can find a clean version, maybe it can’t be done. If they store the password or some hash anywhere else to provide more security then it can’t be done. I can imagine they’d do just that to comply with the latest security norms.

You’ve so far called HP useless (useful if youre willing to pay) useless as well as /g/ (useful if you’re patient enough to put up with their autism)
>>
>>2824906
half the "seller refurbished" fleet sales laptops are bios locked.
>>
>>2824916
>>2824908
/g/ has been as useful as tits on a boar for 10 years or more now.
>>
>>2825103
anon, do you really not realize that I'm trying to find someone who has actual experience with these things, and not random advice? I've already done everything "normal" I could do. I'm trying to find alternative paths. I've read that shorting a couple of pins might work (https://davidzou.com/articles/bios-password-bypass), but I need to be absolutely sure of what I'm about to do. and as you can see, literally no one mentioned something like this ITT...
I know that these laptops have not one but 2 chips. I'm unsure what the contents of the 2nd chip is but from what I've read it seems to have encrypted data of the BIOS itself, and the BIOS password is stored in this 2nd chip. I have a lot of reading to do but I need guidance, because google is being crap and not really helpful. good thing is, I've found a lot of materials on how to do this and that, but it's all separate stuff and I have to make sense of it all by myself.
>>
>>2824902
I just sold someone a hp omen, shit laptop btw, sell it to an idiot while you can.
>>
Try submerging the motherboard in rubbing alcohol and then microwave it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.