[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0949.jpg (1.14 MB, 1290x1899)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
> requiring customers to purchase ancillary Hermès products, such as shoes, scarves, and jewelry, before being given the opportunity to purchase a Birkin or Kelly bag.
I see this mostly at the higher end of the luxury clothing industry (Hermès), but it’s all over the luxury watch industry.
I don’t know what the alternative would be though.
There are a limited amount of Aquanauts and Birkens.
How do you decide who gets them? First come first served?
One way is to reward customers who buy a lot of other products and grant exclusive access to coveted pieces.
Another is just to match the secondary market prices, which would bring retail prices up 3x.
>>
>>18093410
oh no. the poor wittle consumer cannot buy their $2,000 bag and $10,000 watch.
stupid games, stupid prizes.
>>
File: fe9.jpg (26 KB, 680x432)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>18093460
strong stance
>>
File: 1610273838149.png (408 KB, 579x800)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
>>18093466
>>
>>18093410
As a customer, how do I actually know that tying is occurring? Am I being told outright that I need to buy product X before I am allowed to buy product Y? To me there would definitely be a trust issue. How do I know that I will ever be allowed to buy the product I actually want?

Otherwise, buying things as a set is usually a wash. I don't like most items, so when I have to buy something as a set I treat the item I don't want as essentially wasted money.
>>
>>18093410
The only way I see this being an issue, that's worthy of a court ruling, is if they use it to further restrict, discriminate against, and extort certain customers based on things like race or nationality. Otherwise I think any business is allowed to exercise some form of exclusivity within their line of products. Handbags are not an integral part of living a comfortable or sustainable life.
>>
>>18095130
>As a customer, how do I actually know that tying is occurring?
It mostly happens regarding high end and scarce products like expensive watches, jewelry, cars, art and antiques (at least with hermes you can sell your birkin, not so much with some cars). Sometimes video game items too but I think that's different as they tell you what you need to buy before unlocking it. You won't just stumble upon it

I don't see it being a problem unless you restrict essential products and services with it, such as tying an onlyfans subscription to buy running water or a funko pop to buy medicine. Although one can argue that something like that is already happening to some extent with insurance and doctors or taxes.

If people don't want to play the Hermes games they should just pay the premium for second hand stuff. If you don't have the money to buy second hand birkins you shouldn't even be looking at hermes shit at all.
What's even more retarded about Hermes is that even after playing their games you might not be able to get a bag you like as they'll randomly just have one in stock and you'll be forced to buy whatever they have even if it's ugly to not ruin the 'relationship'
>>
>>18095151
Protip: they should also have the right to discriminate agains whoever the fuck they want including racially
>>
>>18095163
I'm not sure I would say it's a legal issue, but as a customer immediately I have serious concerns. Like you said, these purchases may not be happening at the same time. I could be buying a $1,000 pair of gloves that I don't really want as a membership fee for the CHANCE to get a bag I MIGHT want later, depending on availability. You'd have to be an idiot or the #1 Hermes cocksucker to put up with this. And I really don't care if people say it's worth it, because even if the quality is top of the line, most fashion products are not worth it for most people because anyone with standards will realize if they just like something or not.
>>
>>18093410
They need you to buy 5 other products before buying the 1 product you want because otherwise they'd go broke LMAO
All these luxury brands hang on by a hair, keep that in mind
>>
>>18095151
>here's this product
>okay, lemme buy it
>noooo actually you have to buy these other products first
>okay but I want that one
>NOOOO PAY UP GOD DAMMIT
sounds illegal to be honest
>>
>>18095313
This isn't all that different than paying for membership to various businesses. You can go in and look but can't purchase anything, or you are cut off from purchasing products that are discounted or reserved for members only, sometimes they don't even let you in the door without a membership purchased.
>>
>>18095313
>sounds illegal to be honest
it isn't, at least in the US. rolex, patek, porsche, ferrari, hermes, and probably a hundred more luxury brands all do it.
>>
>>18095237
Aren't you a based little faggot
>>
>>18095311
Is that why the owner of LV is one of the richest people alive?
>>
>>18095313
The problem is for a rolex daytona for example, everybody wants one, so if you walk into a rolex AD and say you'd like a daytona they're more than happy to "put you on the list" while they milk some geriatric dude who owns a boat and sixty acres for all he's worth until he gives enough to get his brand new steel watch
>>
>>18093410
Shit like this has made me no longer interested in Rolex watches and the like.

It's just upper middle class suburban status seeking and feels too tryhard to be genuinely "cool" anymore. The guys who buy the Rolex then feel self-conscious about wearing it in all situations and would rather store it safely at home, so they don't even get the full function of using it as a watch. It's purely for social status purposes. And when something is clearly just for status, it loses its potency and becomes insecurity/tryhard.

I was really into Rolex in high school because everyone around me had them (Ferraris too). Now I'd rather buy some cheap microbrand watch and pursue "unique" hipster products that I enjoy for some quirky reason and intentionally avoid the mainstream status symbols.
>>
>>18095313
Rewarding those who have bought your other products before isn't a bad thing
>>
>>18095394
Possibly. If he takes most of the profits, it's no surprise that the business might struggle.
>>
>>18095163
>don't want to play the Hermes games they should just pay the premium for second hand stuff.

lux shit almost always sell for less money than original price. e.g, watches. many watches impossible to resell because suckers only want first-hand goods.
>>
>>18095650
>they don't even get the full function of using it as a watch. It's purely for social status purposes

Casios have been the most practical watch brand for decades. people who buy fancy watches don't care about "function".
>>
>>18095130
The issue is the second hand market regarding the coveted items. it's poorfags who are upset they have to pay a 100%+ markup for special items when they don't care about the rest of the brand's items. The original purpose was for brands to reward their clients with the opportunity to access exclusive shit but even that was turned into "kets see if we can offload something a more exclusive client didn't want onto this one. all in all, the only thing to do is abolish LVMH and Kering while euthanizing the asianand jewish populations
>>
>>18095313
It isn't illegal at all, you can have conditions of sale and the consumer has not had their rights infringed because the consumer makes an offer to buy and the seller can refuse if the conditions are not met.
It is no different technically than a menu
>>
>>18093410
who cares?
nobody needs a certain handbag to live and if you want to play those games that’s your choice
>>
>>18093410
>There are a limited amount of Aquanauts and Birkens.
That's what they want you to think...
>>
>>18093410
The thing is if you have the money to buy a watch or a bag at retail price you likely have the money to buy it at grey market prices as well (unless you're just being stupid and spending your whole net worth on a watch or a bag)
>>
>>18093410
>Lets prioritize customers who have been with us for years and spent an insane amount of money on our products when we sell a product that is scarce (doesn't matter if its artificial scarcity)
Explain why this is bad.
>>
It's not just Hermes, this is a sort of open secret with certain brands.

Alden does alot of this shit but tis murky as to whether is a choice at the local branch level or an overall corporate directive. They make limited editions of certain shoes and depending on who you deal with, they'll tell you they don't have your size in stock unless you bought the previous limited edition shoe or have a long talk about buying the next one. It's fucking comical and one of many reasons I'll never pay for Alden again. The company went to shit when the COO fleeced them out of 30 million, then COVID hit and rather than try and rebuild profits and customer trust they're going balls to the wall on raised prices and bullshit like that.
>>
>>18095130
You can't just go and buy a Birkin, you are INVITED to buy one. So basically if your famous or something you might get an invite right away, but if your not one way to be invited is to spend money on other things.
>>
>>18096179
Not the birkin bag, which is what this whiny lawsuit is all about.
>>18093410
>muh class action
lmao the lawyers will eat all the money and if there is a payout it'll be >$5.
>>
>>18096452
Difference between alden and say hermes, or rolex etc., that also do this:
alden is SHIT, shitty QC
the shittiest
and yet the soi conSOOOOOOOOMERs will keep buying and encouraging that company and it's 5 remaining fat fingered spic workers
>>
>>18096697
not sure it's even about the money
I think it's about embarrassing these companies by shining a light on these practices
>>18095313
it's unclear if (a) it's illegal and (b) who's even responsible for it
Before discovery, no one is willing to admit if it's official company policy or just the result of economic incentives playing out with the AD staff.
The question OP asked stands though
In the end you have scarce, non-vital goods
How do you divide them?
From an economics point of view, if you have all this silliness with tying, your real problem is that the goods are underpriced (as reflected by the secondary market)
But from the company's POV it's not clear at all that raising prices to match the secondary market is the best option.
After all, brands like Patek and Hermes have the distinction of selling goods that actually go up in price.
This is very valuable to their reputations.
It's an interesting situation
>>
>>18095130
Some shadier dealers might say it outright.
But when companies bring the its a waiting list product or mention vip clients you know what they mean. Buy some shit that loses money/no one wants so you become one of those that gets offers on the good shit.
>>
>>18097289
>brands like Patek and Hermes have the distinction of selling goods that actually go up in price.

post Pateks u sold for profits with proofs. i dare u on /watch/ threads.
>>
>>18096698
>and it's 5 remaining fat fingered spic workers
most lux goods are made in commie china now. MAYBE they might "assemble" them later in Italy or USA and slap on a "Made in real 1st World Trust Me!" tag or stupid letter of authenticity.
>>
>>18098160
I don’t have any but an aquanaut retails for $30k and can’t be found second hand for under $55k
Shit the 5711 used to retail for $27k. Find me one for under $80k?
And of course there are the birkens
Point is you can’t find a Patek or a Birken for retail or less in the second hand market. Period.
>>
>>18093466
>buy our overpriced shit if you want the chance to buy more of our overpriced shit
>no
It’s that easy anon. Why would luxury apparel companies need regulation for business practices whose only value is increasing brand perception? Overpriced bags and clothes are literally one of the most superfluous and least offensive industries. Why would the government need to step in to allow you to buy a 10k handbag lmao, this isn’t water, food, housing, financial institutions, communication, technology, etc. Is it also “le leave the rich company alone” if I don’t think governments should step in and force them to reduce the price of the handbag to your desired purchase point? I’d like to see what possible genuine argument you have, this shit isn’t even anticompetitive.
>>
Isnt this what a lot of Luxury brands do?
>ferrari makes you buy bullshit models before you can buy the one you want
>rolex makes you buy cheaper shit before the rolex you want
>hermes apparently makes you buy scarves before you can buy the bag
just general 'illusion' of scarcity
>>
>>18093410
I've heard people complain about this kind of thing before, but I don't understand why it's a problem. Like, from the perspective of a guy who's just rich enough to get the Birkin bag but not rich enough to get the other products, sure it's annoying for him. And it's good for the guy who does get the Birkin because it makes his bag more rare and gives him more clout. But those people doing that little thing is not a moral issue.
>>
>>18099849
>But those people doing that little thing is not a moral issue.
it's a trade and regulation issue.

>>18098174
>can’t be found second hand for under $55k
ebay and any collector shills can set any price they want. who's buying 2nd hand? that's the point and question.
i can say my mom's pussy and fannypak is worth 1 billion pesos, but who would buy it?
>>
>>18099889
Let’s put it another way
If the only place you can reliably buy a Patek sports watch is the second hand market
And if the floor price for the second hand market is twice the retail price
Then the second hand market price *is* the price. It doesn’t have to sell. If you want that product, that is the price. Period.
>>
>>18099849
But who cares if your clothing is rare? If it's not bespoke, you are always going to lose to someone that has something rarer.
>>
>>18100581
sour grapes
>>
>>18099849
>because it makes his bag more rare
That's precisely the problem, its artifical scarcity. Gold is rare, rubies are rare. Birkin handbags are not rare, they're PRETENDING to be rare. Because Hermes is a business first and foremost. And the goal of a business is to earn money.
>>
>>18100596
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>18100597
Not an argument.
>>
>>18095650
Are you a retard who was actually going to take his diving watch underwater?
>>
>>18093410
It's easy. Limited supply, lots of potential customers.
Raise the price and make it an elite brand by pricing out the trash.
>>
Who do these faggots think they are, naming bags after a god, imagine if it was named Jesus, utterly ridiculous.
>>
>>18100596
They are rare though.
>>
They do it to dissuade reselling. They want to sell to people who have literally bought into the brand. I think it makes a lot of sense. An Hermes bag is one of the nicest things money can buy and it’s still only 10k. A used camry. I understand why they do it.
>>
>>18100642
Yeah my shits are rare too, no other human on earth can produce shits with this exact consistency, texture, and biological flora. You should buy some of it.
>>
>>18100645
>An Hermes bag is one of the nicest things money can buy
Lol.
Lmao even.
>>
>>18100647
Think of it this way. Remember when you were in high school and the cool kids had a party and you weren't invited? Those invitations were desirable because they were artificially scarce. Hope this helps.
>>
>>18100889
Sounds like a projection to me. Hope your life got better since then bud.
>>
>>18093410
Never cared about all those overpriced whitoid's product
>>
>>18100889
This isn't really true. An invitation to a party is useful because it helps you meet people you want to meet. It's the people that make it valuable, not the scarcity. Otherwise the ultimate house party would include just yourself, because that is the ultimate in scarcity.
>>
>>18095237
Dudes will really say shit like this and then complain about anti-white rhetoric. You are literally the problem.
>>
>>18101142
All those people are at school though. A party where everyone is invited is lame. A party is better when it's exclusive because lame kids aren't allowed to show up.
>>
>>18101150
I complain about anti-white rhetoric but I don't think it should be illegal
>>
>>18101152
>A party is better when it's exclusive because lame kids aren't allowed to show up.
... which brings us back to the people at the party being the draw and not the exclusivitity itself.

if those lame kids also had a party exclusive to lamers, would it be held in the same prestige?
>>
>hermes birken
Couldn't tell it apart from some €200 handbag, do women really? Then again they might say the same exact thing about my datejust. Some things are just for flexing on members of your own sex.
>>
>>18093460
>>18101309
Basic bitch birkin bags start at around $30,000 new, go for $15,000 used, and special editions like crocodile bags easily get in the 6 figures.

I went to an estate sale before Christmas where a woman died that had 4 bags up for auction and they all went for $15-25,000 used. There were no deals.
>>
>>18101152
Yes, and generally a party not being at school also provides it value. You can't make out, do drugs, have sex, or even talk about certain things comfortably at school. Again, it's not really about not having access to these people. It's about the intrinsic value of the event itself. Now I'm not saying that excluding certain people may not help the party, but at that point it's not about scarcity. Someone else having a nice bag doesn't make my bag worse, but a guy who kills everyone's fun at a party does make the party worse for everyone.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.