[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thoughts on Kettlebells? What about adjustable KBs?
Are Kettlebell routines a real strength workout? Are they safe or injury prone?

I'm making the shift to a homegym and don't have the space for a barbell/power rack. I have a pullup/dip bar installed on the wall though and use it regularly.
>>
File: pepe_tiny_ear.jpg (84 KB, 1080x606)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
you can use a real kettle with hot water which weighs twice as much as cold water.
>>
>>74120025
kettlebells good
>conditioning
>correcting movement patterns
>can apply progressive overload
but they're overpriced as fuark
>very good for combat sports
it's a weight, simple as, ballistics are engaging a lot of stabilizers so that's good as well.
pavel tsatsuwhatever is a blowing giant faggot.
gl finding good quality ones at a good price, or just make your own out of cement
>>
>>74120025
Kettlebells are probably the weirdest piece of equipment when it comes to online fitness discussion.
One side will defend it like the second coming of Jesus. The other side will denounce them and act like doing rows with a 70lb kb will do nothing for you. Very odd.
>>
File: 1713964139959.jpg (377 KB, 978x1000)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>74120473
I'm really tempted to try them out
People who like kettlebells seem to REALLY like them for some reason
>>74121291
YEAH I genuinely don't know what it is about them
>>
>>74121331
I have a 70lb one and use it like burpees: A quick way to get in a serious conditioning workout. I do 10 swings every minute on the minute for 25 minutes for a total of 250~. An adjustable one would be great to start with, but make sure it goes up to at least 50lbs. Anything lighter is hard to swing with proper form. Snatches are a meme, rows are great, don't get one with a shitty handle or you will regret it. Spend money for one from a good shop. Darbee has a bunch of free kettlebell workouts, I would suggest doing either Cannonball or Icon to start with.
>>
>>74121361
>70lb
That's quite a lot anon, how many reps are you doing?
>>
File: image-30.png (66 KB, 904x1286)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>74121361
>Snatches are a meme
Very strongly disagree. It's essentially the end progression of a swing and is peak power production for a ballistic movement while still maintaining a grip on the object. It's a must do for prep for things like keg or caber tosses.
Also, if you've played out your weight for a clean and press, a snatch press is a great way of squeezing a little more utility out of that weight. Snatch to lockout, do a reverse press, back swing and repeat (or do a H2H swing to other side. If you're pressed for time, something like picrel will hit you harder than just swings and presses.
>>
>>74120473
>pavel tsatsuwhatever is a blowing giant faggot
Mark Wildman and Dan John are superior
>>
Kettlebells have no unique advantages. They're really not that different from dbs. Kb routines are ok for beginners. They do not confer unique advantages in "explosive strength" or "strength endurance" or "martial arts conditioning" that cannot be achieved with other types of resistance.

Kb sport is a meme sport like oly lifting or gymnastics. Yeah it makes you stronger, faster, bigger, whatever, than untrained person. No you're not getting unique advantages over someone who can bench 3 plates squat 4 plates, outside of being able to perform better in the very specific sport.

> safe or injury prone
If you're retarded everything is injury prone

>homegym
Get the cheapest heaviest shit you can find that you can put in the backpack and do weighted calisthenics and lunges/pistols/back extensions/abs with it.

>>74121331
>REALLY like them for some reason
Magical thinking + swinging a kettlebell is more fun/simpler than barbells for them, I guess.
>>
>>74122377
>swinging a kettlebell is more fun/simpler than barbells for them, I guess.
And there's nothing wrong with this. The workout regimen you stick with is the one that gives you the most results.
>>
>>74121361
snatches are amazing. heavier weight sets of 5-10 reps or lighter max number of reps in 5 minutes are both awesome.
snatches should be after you learn other things like swings and clean and press though.

cheap and used kettlebells are fine, its just a chunk of iron. the handles on my cheap ones are all fine.

adjustables get a lot of love but they seem to be overpriced vs getting seperate 35 55 and 71 lb ones as you progress.

lastly i do rows with mine but kettlebells hang lower so i have to do them off a step if i want the full ROM plus stretch at the botom
>>
>>74123126
too add for homegym, pullups, dips, and decline pushups with a backpack are great to hit stuff thats hard to get with a kettlebell

maybe add a ab roller, wrist roller thing, and a excercise band for band pull aparts.

a set of cheap spinlock dumbells for lateral raises.
and do bulgarian split squats if you want to hit legs more than swings and snaches.
>>
>>74121331
>>74121291
Powershitters are just angry that you can get fit and shredded without impining your shoulder and wrecking your body
Also this https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SVUW7ttxK5Q
>>
>>74120025
I do daily kettlebell swings upon waking up. Feels like swinging a medieval weapon or as a pouncing bloodthirsty animal.
>>
>>74124186
Look into clubs and maces then
>>
>>74120323
Isnt hot water lighter than cold water because hot water is close to steam which floats?
>>
File: 1707520799446670.jpg (61 KB, 640x662)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>74120025
I like combining them with my barbell work, because I'm not a dogmatic faggot. They're great for endurance and HIIT work, they engage a lot of stabilizers, turkish getups are a great exercise to end your workout imo. Use them if you like them, really.
>>
>>74121291
I find the extremes of user more interesting. On one side, you they are popular with fighters, military, firefighters (I have a couple buddies who do forest firefighting and they swear by them), and then you have suburban middle age moms doing meme shit. No in between.
>>
>>74121291
You could do rows with a 70lb kb, but you'd be better off using a DB.

I pretty much use my KB for towel curling and OHP
>>
>>74120025
Kettlebells are a ripoff. Just get an adjustable dumbbell pair.
>>
>>74120025
Can I build my arms just doing goblet holds? I have no idea what it's actually working but I injured my leg and can't do squats for a few weeks.
>>
Give me a rundown on pavel tsatsouline?
>>
>>74125388
He's got a bit of a huckster charm but he took some basic elements of kettlebell sport (which is more endurance based) and blended it with elements of Olympic lifting (which is power product based) and sold it as "hard style" lifting. He claimed doing S&C work for Soviet special forces, but he would have been a teenager at the time. Maybe he shadowed someone as part of an internship program. His principles are solid, basically pulling from Prilepin and Vasilev. He's got a bit of a showman quality which is entertaining.
His programs are minimal which are good for beginners or as an ancillary to another program.
>>
>>74120025
I'm reaching my mid 30's and after bodybuilding for so many years my body just didn't feel good. Always sore, always tight, walking around heavy af I can feel it in my knees. A buddy gave me a 12kg kb years ago that I'd use every so often and enjoyed.

My gym membership expired and I decided to do a kb workout at home which ripped. I was wine drunk that night and bought $700 of kb's: 2x 16kg, 24kg, 32kg

It's been 6 months and I've lost a small amount size, but am more ripped and feel wayyyy better than I did bodybuilding with a barbell. The convenience factor is priceless, my workouts are 30-40 mins and aside from kb's you just need something to do pull ups and push ups. Looking at getting rings at some point, but i'm a KB believer.
>>
>>74126147
What routines are you doing?
>>
>>74126184
4 day split.

Each day halos and goblet squats to warm up followed by 100 swings. I progress the weight on the swings and always aim for doubles.

I always make sure to finish this under 10 mins, then spend 20 mins on the assigned body day. These focused lifts i always focus on the squeeze and working to failure, doing 4 sets of 6-12 reps depending on weight.

legs day: front squats, goblin squat, forward folding lunge, Romanian deadlift, calf raises

Chest day: 100 elevated pushups (4 x 25) squeezing the last five of each set, chest press from the floor, incline chest press, single bell (narrow) chest press, fly, tricep circuit

Back day (bar) pull ups, chinups, inverted rows, (kb): bent over rows, squatted rows, deadlift, bicep curls, narrow curl (single kb)

Shoulder day: clean + press, overhead press, front raise, lateral raise, bent arm lateral raise, shrugs
>>
>>74123969
fuck you for making me watch that - all that story says is that kettlebells are a niche lift that you need to train for and aren't an indicator of strength.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.