[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713987221315586.jpg (115 KB, 562x768)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Give me ONE actual reason why I can't just do one set close or to failure for strength and size.

Hard mode: You can't mention volume.
>>
File: 1710519327701478.png (734 KB, 1000x1200)
734 KB
734 KB PNG
>>
File: 1605677636416.jpg (57 KB, 540x960)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>74125839
who gives a fuck
>>
>>74125839
You can but frequency would have to go up a lot to match the [can't mention] the results should be more or less the same although even if you did it every day you'd only be at 7 sets a week which is probably half of the [can't mention] where you would expect a non-beginner to see gains.

An alternative scheme would be pause-sets (like doggcrapp) which through some semantic loophole are 1 set. They usually manage to have the reps and consequently total [can't mention] as more conventional setxrep schemes just in much less time.
>>
>>74125839
>Hard mode: You can't mention volume
Literally because it's not enough volume unless you're blessed with golden genetics and it doesn't matter what you do
>>
File: 1706084299972129s.jpg (6 KB, 219x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>74125839
You can, but you are leaving gains on the table
>>
That's what I've been doing, so far so good
>>
>>74126148
>An alternative scheme would be pause-sets
Are these like giant sets?
>>
>>74126420
Sort of. It's like rep to failure partial rest rep to failure again partial rest rep to failure again until desired reps are achieved usually 25-30 with a weigh that's about 80% of orm. The rest times usually depend on the lift 20-40 seconds usually but you're shooting for no higher than half the reps of your initial partial set. I don't know how this only counts as one set. I'm guessing because some semantic line about full or mostly full rest being part of a set. But it's a huge time save to compress about 3 sets of reps into a span of 3-5 minutes instead of 8-10.
>>
>>74125839
You gotta balance hypertrophy and strength(how long you rest).
>>
>>74126376
Yeah youll see faster immediate gains not in size though. You can only maximize a get fat diet with high ass volume and frequency. Results are seen later.
>>
Let's say that one set is enough - and that could be one set to failure, or a couple of partials, or even more partials, or a type of situation where your doing lateral raises literally lifting out like two inches to the side barely moving them, which you can do for like a minute after you've gone to failure due to the tension curve. But at a certain point we've got to understand how difficult it is to measure that, and based on that practical difficulty, choose to add another set rather than breaking out the protractor on the extended set in order to make one set enough
>>
>>74125839
You know how muscle growth happens after torn muscle fibers grow back? You know how after you rest you can get a couple more reps? During the couple more reps, you get more muscle fibers torn. Therefore, you can get more muscle growth because more stronger muscle fibers come back.

You could, of course, settle for less growth by doing the one set, but I would recommend avoiding being a faggot
>>
>>74125839
Uhm that is actually how 1x5 deadlifts are done. Afrer dyel stage you get several warmup sets which increase your overall weekly amount of stress for specific muscle groups. Also when doing compounds you get plenty of indirect stimulus for secondary/stabilazing muscles. Since you probably are doing several movements for different muscle groups I can't see why doing one high quality set per excercise would't work. Still probably not optimal though dear frog poster.
>>
>>74126846
That isn't at all how it works. If anything actually damaging muscle fibers or the motor protein matrices they use to move reduces recruitment in subsequent sets and limits growth. Not that you really have to worry about that if you're not doing something stupid just illustrating that damage does not cause growth or is even required to grow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.