[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1407777880210.png (319 KB, 485x361)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
>start going to the gym seriously
>for hypertrophy you're meant to go slow and aim for failure on the last set
>at the gym for a few months now and have never seen someone actually do slow and controlled reps

Am I doing it wrong? I just do slow and controlled movement, engaging the muscle fully and balanced for both sides of the body. I get a really good pump by the end of it and everything feels right, good gains so far.
>>
>>74129769
There is such a thing as too slow. One rep of almost any exercise shouldn’t last more than 4 or 5 seconds.
>>
ignore everyone at the gym except people who look yoked and even then ignore them because they have different genetics and are probably on gear. you should definitely mix up the slow controlled reps with tempo and horsecocking teeth grinding sets, itll help you in the long run on just about every front.
>>
>>74129810
Never goes that far. I'd say max 4 secs depending on what I'm doing and how hard I'm pushing it. It all actually feels much better than my previous exercise attempts. Strength days are still the same tho.
>>
>>74129833
Cheating with ego is where the real gains are. No risk of snap city, no reward.
>>
>>74129881
I think I'm doing that accidentally, but fuck it.
>>
>>74129769
you think that's bad? I have literally only seen one person squat below parallel in the whole year since I got a membership at my gym, fucking insane, literally 99% of people are egolifting.
>>
>>74129769
Yes, that’s your competition.

negative should be longer than positive and up to 8 secs
>>
>>74130766
Parallel squatting is to save your knees from damage ATG is only for the real egolifters, powerlifters use cheat form and cheat reps and get off egolifting 3 reps. Lmao.
>>
The fuck is ego lifting?
>>
>>74130977
Negative is the release phase, I assume?
>>
>>74129769
>checking if other dyels do if they are doing the same as you
Need being a dyel
>>
>>74131028
peak stress on your knee joint occurs at around parallel, below that is hips and lower back

deaccelerating abruptly and reversing is more stress on your knees than bouncing into the hole, same reason why people fuck up their elbows with skull crushers vs proper lying tri extensions

>>74129769
eccentric should be controlled to some degree, the concentric should always be as fast as possible
>>
>>74131117
>the concentric should always be as fast as possible
Only to the point where you're not deloading the muscle when momentum carries the bar up. Maybe something like 1-2 seconds up depending on the range of motion during the exercise.
>eccentric should be controlled to some degree
Eccentric should be slow for all appropriate motions (i.e. curls, extensions, maybe even some presses, but not squat or DL). Something like 2-4 seconds depending on the range of motion of the exercise would be appropriate.
>>
slowish and controlled is most effective doesnt mean other speeds arent effective. sometimes i forget
>>
>>74129769
Yes/no. You are not meant to do anything. You can end up achieving 99,999999999999999% similar results in a million different ways. There are as many training methods as there are people. You dont have to do 3 sets. You dont have to do 4 sets. You dont have to do 8 reps, 10 reps, 12 reps, 4 reps, you dont have to focus on mind muscle connection, you dont have to do perfect rom, you dont have to do anything.

I know people who ego lift and they are jacked, i know people who ego lift and they are dyel, i know people who are form polices and they are jacked, i know people who are form pilces and they are dyel. Some train 45 minutes, some train 2 hours, some train 3 days a week, some train 6 days a week and literally every single method can lead up to nearly identical gains. Its all about finding what you like to do and what will keep you consistent for 5+ years up to a lifetime.

But anyways pump is not a good indicator of growth. You can curl 5lbs dumbbell for gorillion reps while playing league of legends and get crazy pump and burn. Does that mean you will get +20inch arms? I mean you are getting a fuarrkking really good pump brah? Focus on progressive overload. Doesnt matter how you achieve it, as long as you progressive overload. If someone ego lifts whatever exercise and next week he does the same ego lift but can now do 5lbs, all good. If you are anal about doing perfect rom and going to failure and next week you are anal about perfect rom and going to failure and you can do 1 more rep than last week, all good. But if you dont go up in reps/weight, your perfect form didnt mean shit.
>>
>>74130766
>they don't lift like I do, they're ego lifting!
You sound like a bitch, they probably don't care what you think in that regard. If you're making gains it doesn't matter if you "egolift"
>>
OP you don't know what you are talking about. You aren't going to put in the work.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.