[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How often should you progressive overload? I don't think its possible to progressive overload for every workout right? There have to be days where your progress stagnates
>>
Yeah just call it quits. Good one
>>
>>74130719
Of course it stalls at some point but then there are other ways and techniques to still achieve overload
>>
>>74130719
You don't only overload on weight you can also do another rep on your last set or even reduce your rest time by five seconds.
>>
>>74130719
Gonna be honezt w/ you, I've been running test/primo for months now, so I just train hard, eat a lot of protein and the rest kinda takes care of its self. I military pressed 225x5 today and I feel like I can walk through walls.
>>
>>74130771
>there are other ways and techniques to still achieve overload
give me a few examples, please
personally, I think the idea that you can endlessly raise the weights or rep ranges is at least a bit silly. your body is not a machine that gives out exact results every single time
>>
>>74130719
Every week. You can still progressively overload with cheat reps and cluster sets too, you don’t have to constantly add weight every week but that’s the goal.
>>
>>74130719
ive been stuck on 2.5 plates for about 2 years now, dont know what to do except roid to get my strength up, ive been the same at 112kg and 95kg i still have the same max bench, i guess i am naturally weak, is it over or has anyone improved from this situation?
>>
>>74130945
>ive been the same at 112kg and 95kg
please be weight on the bar and not bodyweight
>>
>>74130945
try a deload, then lift, then wait 72 hours before your next lift. You may be running into recovery issues.
>>
you can't do linear progression forever
you reach a point where you need to periodize over a month doing 5/3/1 or something
and then you will hit genetic potential
>>
>>74130961
yeah i was 112kg at my heaviest and 95kg at my lightest in the last 3 years or so, whats wrong with that? im 104 at the moment and relatively lean
>>
>>74130719
you must progressive overload for EVERY workout. Every single time you lift you must do an increase in either weight, reps, or sets. The only time you dont, is if you are injured.
>>
Strength adaptions take time, just because you completed a set of 5 with a load that is 10 lbs. heavier than last session but the effort level was the same if not harder to complete it, that's not a sign of improved strength.
>>
>>74131003
No you don't, what matters is stress.
>>
>>74131025
are you retarded?

progressive overload increases stress and TUT
>>
>>74130719
>bulk 144 days
>doesn't look bigger
>does the sane weight
lmao
>>
>>74131003
hahah /fit/ never change.
>>
>>74130912
You stall on seated db military press, same rep limits at the same weight for a long time.

Change it up in the order of your workout, do it earlier or later. Do several weeks of a higher weight and a lower number of reps on set one and revert to normal for sets 2 onward. Do several weeks of lower weight and higher reps for the subsequent sets.

Replace your seated military press 2 out of 3 workouts with something like standing overhead press and progressively overload that exercise while you do it, then go back to the original exercise and increase the weights.

There are a lot of things you can do to tweak your routine to help break you out of a progress rut. The only thing to keep in mind is that any change must be repeated for probably a month to have any impact at all. Repetition and consistency is everything.
>>
>>74131174
if you stall you dont lift the same weight, you eat more. holy shit /fit/ what happened.
>>
>>74131191
Why would these retards not be eating enough to begin with?
>>
Do 531
>>
File: 1713619222213584.jpg (132 KB, 1170x1174)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>74130719
this nigga goes to the gym every day, no wonder he doesn't make any progress.
>>
>>74130719
you can do progressive overload by doing more reps or more weight. I like to do a certain weight until I can do around 8-12 reps with it, then I go to the next weight.
>>
>>74130912
Every week bro. By the time you're 80 years old you should be benching about 4,000kg.
Seriously though just do another set/drop set for stubborn muscles. Use fractional plates too. Everyone has a natural limit. I'm stuck at about 100kg bench but whatever. Who cares. I just need to lose some fat and I'll look great.
>>
>>74130719
Realistically every workout up until 1/2/3/4 easily and even somewhat close to 2/3/4/5. After that its obviously very individual and tough to say whats your genetic limit etc but yeah naturally when you are at your genetic limit and you cant lets say bench more than 170kg at your given bodyfat and weight etc. then its not possible to progress, well essentially ever. you hit a permanent wall and with age you will regress instead of progress.
>>
>>74130982
> im 104 at the moment and relatively lean
No you are not. Just fucking stop it already for fuck sake its not 2011 anymore, your lies are literally so fucking obvious. If you were 104kg "relatively lean" you would LITERALLY be one of the absolute top IFBB pro's and you are supposedly natural. Just let that sink in for a moment. You are ~40% bodyfat, unironically.
>>
>>74130719
uh maybe hes just doing his backoff set of 2pl8 x10 compared to his 1rm attempt on day4.. right?
>>
>>74131595

This. If you were 104kg and not fat you'd be benching 4 plates for reps unless you're super tall
>>
>>74130719
Nah not every workout. Every week (novice) to month (veteran) you should get stronger just a little bit. This is a trend meaning short term regression due to many reasons like stress to your body is common
>>
>>74131136
Maybe he can do more reps now
>>
>>74130719
Those are just about the gayest plates I have ever seen
>>
>>74131191
good to see some non retard post for a change, this board is gynocentric lookism central now. Be careful someone will call you a powershitter for suggesting they gain some weight
>>
>>74130719
For late-intermediates
About once every two weeks you should take a lift (not every lift in the same session) to absolute failure with a spotter to see if you can add weight to it. Every 6 months or so ORM testing. With HIT this is a bit more regular but requires patience which is not something most vanity lifters have in abundance.
>>
>>74130780
>>
>>74131118
what? progressive overlaod is just a sign that neuromuscular adaptations are occuring. it's a given, then, that you're pushing yourself the same amount as last time, so not increasing stress. also time under tension has been misproven by numerous studies. it's mechanical tension that matters. for example, could i do 100 reps with 1 lb dumbbells slow and controlled for best results? obviously not
>>
>>74130719
I can't believe the horseshit in this thread. yes you try to lift more every day. if you have a decent program you are not hitting the same muscles every day. if you stop progressing and are feeling burnt you deload. does this mean every day will be your best day? no. sometimes we just go thru the motions. don't get stuck there.
>>
>>74130719
>I don't think its possible to progressive overload for every workout right?
It is, progressive overload is not just adding more weight to the bar, you can also do more reps, increase sets, change the tempo of the reps, have less time for rest inbetween sets.
If you can't add more weight do these for a couple of weeks and you'll ve able to add more weight eventually.
>>
>>74132474
why are people here angry at powerlifters? they don't like Mr. Rippetoe's gut?
>>
>>74131118
WRONG NIGGER

You have to go forward before you can train harder.
>>
>>74130982
>104kg
>relatively lean
>benching 2.5 plates
I'm 6' and 75kg. I'm thin, but still clearly have fat on my stomach. My max bench is 215. Either you're 7 feet tall or full of shit.
>>
>>74130719
SAAR DO NOT REDEEM
>>
>>74130719
Till 10-12 reps, if you hit 8 then go up 10lbs good luck getting a pump.
>>
>>74130719
you progressive overload by training intensely. if you give every workout your *ABSOLUTE* hardest effort, then, even if your max effort yields a lower number of reps or a lower poundage on a given day, over time your reps will go up.

there are a lot of factors that can change how much you can push on a certain day, so just go hard as fuck, and when a good day comes along (recovery, food, etc.) and things line up, your number goes up

i think there *is* something to be said for trying to progress every workout. it is technically possible, but in my experience it require controlling lots of variables (i.e. at a certain point, every workout has to be PERFECT - you have to have a good meal beforehand, sleep well the night before, etc.) and that takes a bit of the fun out of training :)
>>
>>74132996
Legs and height, i can see ribs at ~200 when i was 165 2yrs ago skinnyfat as shit.
>>
>>74134273
Bad to stray from 1 heavy day after the longest rest beginning of the week. All real gains are made going to failure for several sets, prs are for casuals.
>>
>>74130719
I keep adding 5lbs every workout until I literally can't even at least 3 times while eating like a cow before swapping to 1 light day or a similar lift to recover and just hit it even harder next time
for some lifts like ohp I finish with singles until I can finish a full set then add 5 moar lbs
and if I'm not eating I try not to give a fuck and just keep fighting that weight until I feel skinny enough to eat again
>>
>>74130719
>140 days later and still lift the same weight on a bulk
I'm glad I wasn't born Indian
>>
>>74134248
The gains definetly were not redeemed
>>
>>74130912
Every single time you go back to perform the same exercise you should have improved either on the total weight, total reps or rep quality.

If you do no progress EVERY TIME then you have either not rested for long enough, slept well enough, or not eaten enough. Or any combination of the three.
>>
File: 1657998402609.jpg (95 KB, 1024x681)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
I squat 3 times a week and add 5lbs if I get 5x5. I started with the bar and I'm up to a plate. I should have started lifting a billion years ago but it is what it is. At least it's better than never starting at all.
>>
>>74130912
Rest pause, drop sets, the way you perform reps
>>
>>74130719
I only do one set per lift and have been making better gains than I've ever made for 16 years of lifting. It's a legit routine designed by Mentzer and Yates, the principle is that only your max set matters, so only do your max set, and go into it with as little fatigue as possible so you get the best performance out of it. I want a well rounded rep range for strength and size so I do 1x5. My gym sessions are quick and recovery is easy, and I was able to throw an extra 2.5-5lbs on every week for the first few months.
>>
>>74135057
To add to this because I'm seeing a lot of retarded advice ITT:

Like every routine progress has slowed, but like I said I've been lifting natty for 16 fucking years. I know what a plateau is and I've been stuck at some for years on end. With this routine I still make slow progress. Weighted pullups I stalled out at 80 for only 3 weeks, now up to 85x5. DB rows I was stalled at 150x3 for a while but have finally gotten to 150x5. The next weight graduation is 160 which felt like a huge step up so I'm just gonna have to pull it 2-3 reps and do drop sets with lower weight to make 5 reps, but it's been working just slow progress on my ridiculously heavy lifts. Stuff I just started with like calfs and curls, I never did these before only compounds. But I db curled 75x5 today and have already maxed out the calf machine and need to find a new workout to challenge them. This is a serious fucking life hack and you 10setters are wasting so much time and effort for nothing. You're not supposed to do so many sets and reps, the point of weights is to overload faster. You wouldn't do 200 reps of bodyweight squats when you have access to weights, you'd overload and do anywhere from 3-10 squats. That is THEE point of weights you morons, bodybuilders on roids have poisoned the well when it comes to true athletic training.
>>
>>74135071
Those are my actual lifts and I weigh 160lbs American at 5'9", that's post bulk as well so I'm more around 158lbs. My other ridiculous lift is weighted dips at +125x5 and it's well on its way to 3 plates. I have to add a length of chain to my belt ans have broken multiple dip belts. My squat and deadlift aren't high because I fucked myself up doing 5 sets for so many years, this is a bullshit method of training. YOU ONLY NEED TO DO ONE SET, the fucking point of weights is to reach failure sooner and the only way (or at least the best way) to advance is to do failure sets. So just do one fuckibf failure set, that's reaching failure and it's sufficient to stimulate growth. Stop being a 10shitter wasting time and fucking your joints up, I wish I had known this years ago. Absolutely no reason I'm this strong as an old man who can barely cum a teaspoon these days, this routine took me out of a downward spiral of slowly losing strength due to test lowering.
>>
>>74130780
reducing rest times isn't as straight forward like increasing reps/weight is
reducing rest times would add more variables into the mix other than neuromuscular adaptations, you can get better at short rest periods over a long period of time without gaining a single gram of muscle
>>74130912
>I think the idea that you can endlessly raise the weights or rep ranges is at least a bit silly
the idea that you can endlessly make gains is at least a bit silly too
why do you think people stop making gains? because they aren't doing their little magical special super secret program that seemingly all their idols have found in their first few months of lifting?
mentzer, arnold, boyer benched 4 plates in their teens, strength = size
if you aren't making any strength gains you aren't getting bigger it's as simple as that
>your body is not a machine that gives out exact results every single time
so don't expect it to grow forever
no one said you have to get stronger every session, but you have to get stronger long term or you aren't making any gains
it's not the act of adding weight or adding reps that magically makes you grow muscle but it's your ability to add weights or adding reps that is permited by actual muscle gain
if you aren't gaining any strength you aren't getting bigger it doesn't matter how you're training
>>74131136
exactly
just more proof that if you aren't getting any stronger on the exercises you're experienced in you aren't getting bigger
>>74132474
if you overeat you will just get fat
unless you're megadosing androgens
gaining muscle is what should drive your weight gain, forcefeeding does fuck all except make you fatter if you're natural that already went through puberty
>>
>>74135167
>if you overeat you will just get fat

This x1000, I tried the bulking meme eating whole pizzas a day and my strength didn't change, my musculature didn't change. I still made strength and muscle gains at the same rate as clean bulking, I just had a flabby belly by the end of it. This is yet another bullshit piece of advice given by roidtrannies who gain muscle no matter what, because like you said they're on androgens that's what they fucking do. You only need to clean bulk, eating maintenance or slightly over. Honestly I don't even pay attention to calories I just eat until I'm full 3x a day or 4x a day on lift days. You also shouldn't eat 5 meals or whatever the fuck these roidtroons suggest, insulin competes with testosterone and you produce insulin when you eat or snack. So limit eating to certain spaced apart times and ideally don't snack or drink sugary drinks at all. Add in those calories when you're eating your big meals.
>>
>>74131595
>>74132421
no way am i 40 percent body fat, i dont know what sort of frame of reference your getting this impression from, im not even that tall either but i would say i might be maybe 20 percent or just over
>>
>>74136771
*sigh* alright you know the drill,
post body.
>>
>>74130982
Lol no way. Post physique
>>
File: IMG_E080788.jpg (503 KB, 1898x2020)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
>>74136785
>>74136811
>>
>>74136859
this is bait
>>
>>74136859
you got muscle bro but you are very far away from relatively lean
youre 25%+, im not even talking shit
>>
OP and a few others in this thread seem to have misunderstood progressive overload so I'm going to explain this in simple terms.

Progressive overload is an indicator of progress, not a driver. It shows that you have gotten stronger, your muscles have developed, your muscular endurance has improved, etc.

You progressively overload because over time as you become stronger the same workout provides less and less stimulus, therefore you must perform progressive overload to give your body adequate stimulus.

Progressive overload comes in many forms. You can increase weight, reps, sets, TUT (rep tempo ie longer eccentrics, pause reps, etc), greater ROM, shorter rest time. These are basically in order of importance, if you can increase weight you should, if you can't then try to increase reps, etc. The point of progressive overload is to maintain your training stimulus BECAUSE you got stronger.

To more directly answer OPs question, yes you may have some days (though rare if non training factors like diet and rest are covered) where you can't progressively overload and you do the same workout as last time. This does not mean you won't make gains, what was heavy last week is still going to be heavy this week, once you have lifted a weight once it doesn't magically lose the ability to stimulate you, it just may stimulate you a fraction less than last time. So don't sweat plateaus, rate of progress changes all the time. if the weight is heavy and you push it close to failure, you are likely building muscle and strength
>>
>>74136880
Well 40% is technically also 25+ but yeah thats not even close to 25.
>>
>>74136880
yeah thats fair ive never checked by body fat percentage so i wouldn't know, if that is 25+ then i think i would be happy with between 15-20 and im cutting right now but i dont like it when my arms get smaller and dont fill my shirts out
>>
>>74136914
>>74136859
how tall are you if i might ask?
>>
>>74136934
6'1
>>
>>74136882
/thread
>>
File: incline bench.webm (3.29 MB, 1280x720)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB WEBM
>>74130719
day 164: 9 reps same weight
day 159: 9 reps same weight
day 154: 9 reps same weight
day 119: 9 reps same weight
>>
>>74137020
his form looks alright, i guess this nigga is not eating/sleeping enough?
also 90kg on incline doesnt seem that bad for a guy his size
>>
>>74136771
>>74136859
ignore the dyels here they hate men who are strong and not twinks.
>>
>>74137059
Those are 10kg plates I thought? No way he's benching 2 plates
>>
>>74131403
lol underrated
>>
>>74137106
yeah that's ten, probably 60kg in total
>>
>>74135272
based
overfeeding is the biggest lie created by bodybuilding grifters
when you're loading androgens you can overeat and gain extra muscle, naturals just get fat if they overeat
all natural bodybuilders avoid getting fat
>>74137059
eating a bit more calories or sleeping 1 more hour won't do shit
if you aren't progressing in several weeks you're either not creating enough stimulus or you aren't recovering from your training
eating more won't fix it, you will just get fat
sleeping more won't fix it, not unless you're getting 5h of total sleep a night consistently
>>
>>74137189
For me it was the other way around, I tried clean bulking, doing cardio etc as a natural and it was taking too long for me to get stronger or see gains.
Started eating everything my mom made, stopped counting calories like a retard, stopped doing cardio aswell and in 1 month I made more progress than 6, felt like a 2nd noob gains unlocked because my muscles looked fuller and bigger, main gaining and clean bulk is a meme, cutting as a natural if you have no muscle will turn you into a skelly DYEL.
If I could go back in time id just bulk from the beginning and keep adding weight to the bar, I've been lifting for 1 year 3 months now and I'm reaching 2pl8 bench at 5'6 154lbs (167cm 70kg), I started as a 130lbs skinnyfat. I could had that by now if I didn't waste so much time about useless shit and just ate more.
>>
>>74136859
This is 35+% bf powerlifter tier. not "fairly lean" at all.
>>
>>74137248
no offense but you're basically a noob and there's no way for me or anyone else for that matter to know for sure how bad your diet was originally
you're an outlier
I know for certain if my 84kg 182cm 3 palte benching forever intermediate early advance ass gains more than 1kg a month it will be at least 90% fat because I tried forcefeeding and gaining like 15kg in a year and it was all fat, 0 strength gains to show for it because I thought just eating would help me recover
it wasn't until I started training less that I started making progress again, while in a caloric deficit

maybe if you are a recovering anorexic teenager in your noob stage in your teens you could benefit from overeating but it is useless once you finally become well trained
>>
>>74130821
god I wish I was you brother
>>
>>74135167
>if you overeat you will just get fat
>unless you're megadosing androgens
>gaining muscle is what should drive your weight gain, forcefeeding does fuck all except make you fatter if you're natural that already went through puberty
glad you made all that shit up i never said just to get mad, retarded faggot
>>
>>74137020
>9 reps

Pretty high and unlikely to condition strength, and how much is his set range? If the retard is doing 10 shits of 10 sharts he's not going to make any progress at all. By the time he reaches his max set he's so fatigued he can't perform and get the best performance out of it. Weights are for the purpose of reaching overload quicker than doing bodyweight or using fixed objects, if you have more weights add more weight and do less reps. Do less sets explicitly to lower fatigue and get better performance on your max set. Literally only your max set matters, you can do one set and as I said above there's confirmed science behind it. It's been advocated by a lot of big names, both Mentzer and Yates being notable ones.

If you're afraid of not getting enough volume, do some sets after your max performance set but I'm telling you now it's useless and detrimental. There's 5/3/1 which is another low volume plateau buster that uses the same low set range principle. Regardless you need to try something new and challenging that's specifically going to trigger strength conditioning or you will not get stronger.
>>
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QV_mtT5-lU
>>
>>74130912
Negatives and static holds
These 2 can easily make your exercises go up in weight
Just dont to positives, which is a bit tricky but achievable with a gym buddy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.